Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 7054
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 pm

Starting in June, they'll serve EWR instead of JFK until now with a mix of A332s & A333s. Not sure why. Were some slots freed up at Newark?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2019/
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 4687
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 pm

EWR preferred over JFK?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 3020
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:08 pm

Since 2016 EWR is no longer slot controlled.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
EWRandMDW
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:28 am

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:51 pm

c933103 wrote:
EWR preferred over JFK?


The largest overall % growth in passenger traffic in the NJ/NY region during 2018 was at EWR. International traffic grew by > 9.5% to 14.14 million revenue passengers. That seems like a decent indicator that EWR is no longer a "secret", especially when NYC claims it as its own, though it really isn't!
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8538
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:27 pm

EWRandMDW wrote:
c933103 wrote:
EWR preferred over JFK?


The largest overall % growth in passenger traffic in the NJ/NY region during 2018 was at EWR. International traffic grew by > 9.5% to 14.14 million revenue passengers. That seems like a decent indicator that EWR is no longer a "secret", especially when NYC claims it as its own, though it really isn't!


Yeh, international traffic grew at EWR and is still less than half of JFKs. The foolish use of growth on a relatively small number - kids get laughed out of Econ 101 for that.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf-traf ... C_2018.pdf
 
EWRandMDW
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:28 am

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:30 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
EWRandMDW wrote:
c933103 wrote:
EWR preferred over JFK?


The largest overall % growth in passenger traffic in the NJ/NY region during 2018 was at EWR. International traffic grew by > 9.5% to 14.14 million revenue passengers. That seems like a decent indicator that EWR is no longer a "secret", especially when NYC claims it as its own, though it really isn't!


Yeh, international traffic grew at EWR and is still less than half of JFKs. The foolish use of growth on a relatively small number - kids get laughed out of Econ 101 for that.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf-traf ... C_2018.pdf


Maybe so, but it is just a little bit closer.
 
asuflyer
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:40 pm

The reason is completely different. DL wants more gates and ramp space at JFK T4, so the PANYNJ and JFKIAT have asked airlines to move terminals. The issue is terminal and ramp space at JFK is quite tight. SY and SE and LX are/will be the first to move from T4. SE often used a hardstand and buses.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4901
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:55 pm

They are moving to EWR consolidate because of La Compagnie which is XL sister company.
mercure f-wtcc
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:57 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
EWRandMDW wrote:
c933103 wrote:
EWR preferred over JFK?


The largest overall % growth in passenger traffic in the NJ/NY region during 2018 was at EWR. International traffic grew by > 9.5% to 14.14 million revenue passengers. That seems like a decent indicator that EWR is no longer a "secret", especially when NYC claims it as its own, though it really isn't!


Yeh, international traffic grew at EWR and is still less than half of JFKs. The foolish use of growth on a relatively small number - kids get laughed out of Econ 101 for that.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf-traf ... C_2018.pdf


Sorry for getting off topic but it seems to me that some int'l carriers prefer JFK just because of "prestige", specially Star carriers such as LH, LX, OS, AV, CM which offer more frequencies to JFK than EWR.

IMO EWR is a much nicer facility and access to Manhattan is easier/friendlier than from JFK.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
FSDan
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:35 pm

asuflyer wrote:
SY and SE and LX are/will be the first to move from T4.


Where's LX going to?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:01 pm

I am a bit confused with so many carriers now on Paris-NYC. So now there is:

CDG-EWR: United
CDG-EWR: XL Airways

CDG-JFK: Air France
CDG-JFK: American Airlines
CDG-JFK: Delta
CDG-JFK: Norwegian

ORY-EWR: La Compagnie
ORY-EWR: LEVEL

ORY-JFK: Air France

Am I missing something? 8 carriers.
 
asuflyer
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:10 pm

FSDan wrote:
asuflyer wrote:
SY and SE and LX are/will be the first to move from T4.


Where's LX going to?


They will be in T1 with LH and OS, but at the moment it is not possible as T1 is operating over capacity. There will be many changes to JFK terminal gates and ops in the coming future as T1 is rebuilt, T2 and T7 demolished.
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 6086
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:15 pm

asuflyer wrote:
The reason is completely different. DL wants more gates and ramp space at JFK T4, so the PANYNJ and JFKIAT have asked airlines to move terminals. The issue is terminal and ramp space at JFK is quite tight. SY and SE and LX are/will be the first to move from T4. SE often used a hardstand and buses.


Nothing at all to do with an airline switching airports
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3642
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 pm

FSDan wrote:
asuflyer wrote:
SY and SE and LX are/will be the first to move from T4.


Where's LX going to?


Either T1 with the rest of the full-service Lufthansa Group airlines or T7, where Eurowings is. The problem is though: you have only 10 gates at T1 and during the summer season, Gates 7 and 8 are needed for A380s.

But where is SY going?
 
CaliguyNYC
Posts: 1251
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:13 am

With Delta (and partner AF) having ended service on EWR-CDG, seems like they saw an opening.
 
User avatar
ClipperYankee
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:50 am

Deviating a tad from the topic does anyone know which seats XL uses in Y on the 333? Truly horrid. Most coach airline seats are not very comfortable but what they use is in another league of bad.
707/717/727/737-100,200,300,400,500,700,800/747-200,300,400/757-200,300/767-300,400
772/788&9/DC3/DC6/DC8/DC9/DC10/MD80s/L1011/A300/A319,320,321/A332&3/A343/A359/A388/
BAE146/ATP/ATR42/DHC2,3,7,8/S340B/CRJ200,700,900/E140,145,175,190/F70,100/B1900
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2714
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:30 am

SCQ83 wrote:
I am a bit confused with so many carriers now on Paris-NYC. So now there is:

CDG-EWR: United
CDG-EWR: XL Airways

CDG-JFK: Air France
CDG-JFK: American Airlines
CDG-JFK: Delta
CDG-JFK: Norwegian

ORY-EWR: La Compagnie
ORY-EWR: LEVEL

ORY-JFK: Air France

Am I missing something? 8 carriers.


I think we will see AA announce the end of JFK-CDG relatively soon. They have almost no feed at JFK now and zero feed at CDG. It just won't be viable.
 
HiddenPassion
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:59 am

Re: XL Airways is adjusting its S19 Paris-New York service.

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:48 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
I am a bit confused with so many carriers now on Paris-NYC. So now there is:

CDG-EWR: United
CDG-EWR: XL Airways

CDG-JFK: Air France
CDG-JFK: American Airlines
CDG-JFK: Delta
CDG-JFK: Norwegian

ORY-EWR: La Compagnie
ORY-EWR: LEVEL

ORY-JFK: Air France

Am I missing something? 8 carriers.


I think we will see AA announce the end of JFK-CDG relatively soon. They have almost no feed at JFK now and zero feed at CDG. It just won't be viable.


Can't see this happening anytime soon.
This summer, CDG-JFK will be on refurnished 772, instead of 763. I think load factors are fine, otherwise, I would expect the flight on a 788 with less capacity.
Don't forget, CDG isn't a big market like London, but a market with a lot of O&D demands.
Flew on November on AA CDG-ORD and DFW-CDG, both segments were packed up, and for the CDG departures, all the flights were full that day.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos