User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 9489
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:48 pm

A passenger recently posted on Twitter that what looks like a camera is built into the IFE. The airline claims they are disabled, but of course why would they have paid for all those cameras to leave them disabled as the original plan?

https://twitter.com/vkamluk/status/1097008518685573120

Here's the tech involved from a 2017 article:
https://paxex.aero/2017/10/ife-system-b ... c-tascent/
 
Dragonlionting
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:58 pm

Considering Singapore's government, I wouldn't doubt if they are still using them
 
AtomicGarden
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:06 am

I'd be more concerned if I was a woman with a generous cleavage.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!
 
UpNAWAy
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:08 am

Who would want to review all of that boring data.
 
dampfnudel
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:42 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:10 am

UpNAWAy wrote:
Who would want to review all of that boring data.


Not all of the data may be boring.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 464
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:17 am

Maybe so you can video chat with you friends and family should you all be separated on the plane?
 
DLPMMM
Posts: 2261
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:34 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:17 am

It was probably cheaper to buy the units as is, instead of a small run of only a few thousand of customized units for SQ.
 
User avatar
SuseJ772
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:34 am

DLPMMM wrote:
It was probably cheaper to buy the units as is, instead of a small run of only a few thousand of customized units for SQ.

That’s my bet. These are probably Android tablets repurposed and it was just cheaper to buy them with the cameras. We did this with our tablet. We had no need for cameras but you couldn’t find one with out a camera these days.

The counter point to this though is the fact they cut out a hole for them. They could have just as easily and probably should have let it be solid black.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>
 
hansieAMS
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:39 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:46 am

Qantas has cameras in their IFE on the A330
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 592
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:12 am

To catch you if you steal a life jacket!
 
c933103
Posts: 3788
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:40 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
Maybe so you can video chat with you friends and family should you all be separated on the plane?

They claims those camera are permanently disabled
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.
 
santi319
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:42 am

Instead of cameras why not a little pez machine that throws mints at everyone’s mouth by final descent! Please!!
 
winginit
Posts: 2546
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:36 am

enilria wrote:
A passenger recently posted on Twitter that what looks like a camera is built into the IFE. The airline claims they are disabled, but of course why would they have paid for all those cameras to leave them disabled as the original plan?

https://twitter.com/vkamluk/status/1097008518685573120

Here's the tech involved from a 2017 article:
https://paxex.aero/2017/10/ife-system-b ... c-tascent/


I'll ask outright - do you think there's honestly a possibility that SQ is using IFE cameras to watch passengers? What possible purpose would that serve?

I'm calling full blown conspiracy theory on this one with a fear-baiting thread title to boot.

As for the question of why they would buy a product with a camera if they had no intention of using the functionality - they're essentially using tablets as their IFE screens. When was the last time you saw a tablet for sale that didn't have a built in camera?

32andBelow wrote:
You think they have an on board server storing thousands of hours of video from every flight?


:checkmark:
Last edited by winginit on Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 3967
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:46 am

You think they have an on board server storing thousands of hours of video from every flight?
 
C010T3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:48 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:12 am

A mere sticker would solve the issue.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3143
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:31 am

SuseJ772 wrote:
DLPMMM wrote:
It was probably cheaper to buy the units as is, instead of a small run of only a few thousand of customized units for SQ.

That’s my bet. These are probably Android tablets repurposed and it was just cheaper to buy them with the cameras. We did this with our tablet. We had no need for cameras but you couldn’t find one with out a camera these days.

The counter point to this though is the fact they cut out a hole for them. They could have just as easily and probably should have let it be solid black.


The display glass all have a clear hole in them. They would have to do a new print screen to make them without the clear hole. Thus increaseing the manufacture cost as well. Actually it would cost them more than just not putting the camera in during production.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1226
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:00 am

If you don't believe them, don't fly. Simple. Tons of carriers provide IFE with cameras, including all those who provide iPads or any tablets as IFEs. And honestly what makes you believe that they can store so much data just for the sake of spying you?

Conspiracy theories at its finest.

Michael
 
geoshina
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:58 am

Avianca also have a webcam in their B788 and some new A330 with the 1-2-1 config.
 
Noshow
Posts: 936
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:25 am

I'll seriously carry stickers in the future to block any cam and I wonder about microphones and personal web traffic monitoring as well. As all this is possible and done on the ground airlines might be tempted to do the same inflight?
 
WIederling
Posts: 8487
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:46 am

santi319 wrote:
Instead of cameras why not a little pez machine that throws mints at everyone’s mouth by final descent! Please!!

you'd need both. ( camera for aiming and checking if the pax mouth is receptively open.)
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
DexSwart
Posts: 738
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:08 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:26 am

Noshow wrote:
I'll seriously carry stickers in the future to block any cam and I wonder about microphones and personal web traffic monitoring as well. As all this is possible and done on the ground airlines might be tempted to do the same inflight?


For what reason? Why would an airline record you? What would the mic achieve other than recording people snoring?

The full moon last night must have gotten to a few people...

An hour of 1080p video is around 3.6GB.

So for a 10 hour flight that’s 36GB per person. On a flight with 300 people, we’d be looking at around 10800GB. Not to mention the return, which would also have to be stored.

Now times this over 100 aircraft, every day.

It’s a staggering amount of video for no reason.

Why would an airline waste space for a server rack and weight when profits are such a fine line anyway?
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.
 
User avatar
FlyThiz
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:35 am

I see these on many different airlines with IFE. It sure looks more like an ambient light sensor to me. Similar to those found on smartphones.
 
Noshow
Posts: 936
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:37 am

Not now at SIA but in the future advertisements will track your eyes to check where exactly you look at. Like today sites filter all your "private" mail contents by bots to find out what you intend to buy. I have had several friends who talked at home about certain things only to find custom tailored advertisements on their monitors right afterwards. They might listen to you as well. An airline seat should be a private place not some monitoring station. But THIS will happen as it is a big business. Look at "smart" TVs that track you all the time and those "assistants" many people use at home. Not for me.
 
avek00
Posts: 3215
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:56 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:40 pm

In the 1990s Air France apologized after it was revealed listening devices were placed in business class seats on some flights. More to the point, any computer or cell phone with sensitive information should never be used on a commercial aircraft.
Live life to the fullest.
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:55 pm

DexSwart wrote:
For what reason? Why would an airline record you? What would the mic achieve other than recording people snoring?

The full moon last night must have gotten to a few people...

An hour of 1080p video is around 3.6GB.
So for a 10 hour flight that’s 36GB per person. On a flight with 300 people, we’d be looking at around 10800GB. Not to mention the return, which would also have to be stored.
Now times this over 100 aircraft, every day.
It’s a staggering amount of video for no reason.

It's a staggering amount of bogus math too. :roll:
Why pick 1080p ? Most cameras have lower resolution options, and for close proximity work such as this, that would be fine.
Do you need 60 fps? Again, quite possibly not.

If we imagine that it could be purely for security purposes, e.g. to establish if somebody was in their seat at a particular time, or whether they were the victim (or the perp) in a case of alleged assault, a small buffer of 60 minutes at 30 fps could suffice, with the remainder of the flight stored at as little as 1 fps.

The net result would fit on an average memory stick. Or if not, a portable hard drive.

What would the mic achieve other than recording people snoring?

Is that because that is all you do 24/7?
On the flights I have been on, people argue over who is taking up too much seat space, abuse the FAs for not serving them before everybody else, or are just loud and drunk and abnoxious. I guess you must fly with an airline that distributes sleeping gas thro' the air vents.

Not to mention the return, which would also have to be stored
Why? That's just you doubling up, or do I mean doubling down? :lol:
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:59 pm

In recent times there have been numerous incidents discussed on these forums, where actual footage (with sound) would help resolve issues.

A drunk business class passenger went on a rant onboard a London-bound Air India flight after the crew refused to serve her any more alcohol
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1408435

Ryanair accused of inaction over racist incident on FR9015 flight from BCN to STN
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1406651

Pax urinates on other pax on ANA flight
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1401725&hilit=assault

Delta sued by SEA woman who claims sex assault on flight
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1387771&hilit=assault

I also vaguely recall a dog (in a bag) that was placed in an overhead locker, after the pax asked the FA where she could put her "bag" (er "dog"?) (allegedly)

Who actually said what? The FA says this, the passenger says that. :scratchchin:
It happens all too frequently.

At the end of the flight, if no incident has been flagged up, all the footage from every seat can be erased, or downloaded to a ground based server for two weeks max. Or a memory stick. Either way, the a/c system is ready to go again on the next flight. Simples! :bigthumbsup:

I confess I don't like the idea of Big Brother watching me, but it happens. And when things go wrong, it could be very useful.
Just like CVR. :yes:
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
Noshow
Posts: 936
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:13 pm

But this would be no reason to take away the privacy of everybody. Just because something could happen.
I don't suspect SIA having planned something sinister but I would prefer no camera if there is no good reason for it and if I have not agreed before to turn it on.
 
User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 9489
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:20 pm

DexSwart wrote:
Noshow wrote:
I'll seriously carry stickers in the future to block any cam and I wonder about microphones and personal web traffic monitoring as well. As all this is possible and done on the ground airlines might be tempted to do the same inflight?


For what reason? Why would an airline record you? What would the mic achieve other than recording people snoring?

It’s a staggering amount of video for no reason.

Why would an airline waste space for a server rack and weight when profits are such a fine line anyway?

I think people dumbly assume with all of this that they are recording EVERYBODY. They would likely target particular people based upon the work they do or their position. This recent travel warning from the U.S. State Dept (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/03/worl ... isory.html) warns against arbitrary detention and alludes to that being tied to attempts to obtain IP. I don't think it is a stretch to think tech like this could be tied into an effort like that. Maybe you just want video of a married person kissing someone else on the plane to use as blackmail to get the software used to make whatever. I would suspect government influence if something like that is occurring, with the airline being passively involved. Even if it isn't occurring now, this is the future we are quickly headed toward where everything is recorded by somebody and with facial recognition is tied back to you.
 
AngMoh
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:48 pm

enilria wrote:
I think people dumbly assume with all of this that they are recording EVERYBODY. They would likely target particular people based upon the work they do or their position. This recent travel warning from the U.S. State Dept (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/03/worl ... isory.html) warns against arbitrary detention and alludes to that being tied to attempts to obtain IP. I don't think it is a stretch to think tech like this could be tied into an effort like that. Maybe you just want video of a married person kissing someone else on the plane to use as blackmail to get the software used to make whatever. I would suspect government influence if something like that is occurring, with the airline being passively involved. Even if it isn't occurring now, this is the future we are quickly headed toward where everything is recorded by somebody and with facial recognition is tied back to you.


Conspiracy theories have no limits...

Everyone is tracked all the time.
    Google knows more about you than you know yourself
    Facebook knows all your dirty secrets and sells that to the highest bidder
    If you own a mobile phone, you can (and will be) tracked wherever you go - no software needed
    To make money in Silicon Valley / Wall Street / London / Tokyo or any other money market, you must gather your customer's data and sell that at a profit

The best ones are genealogy websites where you pay them to get your highly personal data and let them sell it to anyone for a profit. This data is worth billions to the pharmaceutical and medical industries.

For my work I have a large amount of video data but less than 1000 hours which is being tagged to look for dangerous scenarios. Once we have a certain amount of accurate data, we can train an AI system to automatically do this work but up till now the bulk is manual work. Keep in mind that training only works for common scenarios (someone sleeping, watching a movie or eating in case of an IFE system with camera) and not exceptional scenarios like a drunk pissing on the passenger next to him/her. It has cost me $100,000 using students only and took more than a year. And just one long distance flight gives you more than that amount of data. Collecting and using that date is not very feasible unless you put some NVIDIA GPUs in your IFE and start crunching data on the fly (which will make NVIDIA rich and your airline poor).

enilria wrote:
Maybe you just want video of a married person kissing someone else on the plane to use as blackmail to get the software used to make whatever.


Today that is done by a person with a camera phone seated close to you. Are you going to ban all phones?

I think someone was not thinking when they decided to put in the camera because it is not a good idea and asking for trouble. But on the other hand I have been flying on aircraft with these systems for years and never noticed them.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 742 743 744 752 753 762 772 77E 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E170 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 Q400 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85
 
User avatar
Erebus
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:40 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:10 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
I confess I don't like the idea of Big Brother watching me, but it happens. And when things go wrong, it could be very useful.
Just like CVR.


You don't need a camera behind every seatback to achieve that purpose. A handful of surveillance cameras placed at specific points should suffice. Just like in commuter buses and trains.
 
User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 9489
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:53 pm

AngMoh wrote:
Conspiracy theories have no limits...

Everyone is tracked all the time.
    Google knows more about you than you know yourself
    Facebook knows all your dirty secrets and sells that to the highest bidder
    If you own a mobile phone, you can (and will be) tracked wherever you go - no software needed
    To make money in Silicon Valley / Wall Street / London / Tokyo or any other money market, you must gather your customer's data and sell that at a profit

The best ones are genealogy websites where you pay them to get your highly personal data and let them sell it to anyone for a profit. This data is worth billions to the pharmaceutical and medical industries.

Everything you list there was a conspiracy theory before it was exposed. If an airline or a government can monetize what they would get from those cameras then they will do it.
AngMoh wrote:
Today that is done by a person with a camera phone seated close to you. Are you going to ban all phones?

First, that's more expensive, and second much more likely to be noticed.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 2998
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:55 pm

Cruise ships have very extensive camera surveillance. We had an adventurous 3 year old run off, found him within 5 minutes, but steward (?) assured us cameras would track him down. People on cruise ships on a regular basis commit suicide by jumping off. It has taken them as long as two weeks to track down the camera evidence (I imagine they use AI to do it a lot quicker now). Also the cameras have been successful at enforcing no crew member with passenger sexual adventures. I think most people would consider these examples justified use of surveillance.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 9489
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:58 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Cruise ships have very extensive camera surveillance. We had an adventurous 3 year old run off, found him within 5 minutes, but steward (?) assured us cameras would track him down. People on cruise ships on a regular basis commit suicide by jumping off. It has taken them as long as two weeks to track down the camera evidence (I imagine they use AI to do it a lot quicker now). Also the cameras have been successful at enforcing no crew member with passenger sexual adventures. I think most people would consider these examples justified use of surveillance.

I'm not sure I love that it's being used to stop consensual relationships, but other than that sure...
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:08 pm

Sounds to me like they were planning on expanding on in-seat messaging with a software update, so you can see the person you are messaging. Ideal for families or couples who have been split up.

Could even be for a paid video messaging service. Doesn't need to be woo woo and tinfoil hat time.
 
747megatop
Posts: 1701
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:40 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
If you don't believe them, don't fly. Simple. Tons of carriers provide IFE with cameras, including all those who provide iPads or any tablets as IFEs. And honestly what makes you believe that they can store so much data just for the sake of spying you?

Conspiracy theories at its finest.

Michael

Or there is another simple solution. Fly with them; but put a bandaid on it. I am not kidding. I know a friend who did not like the camera on his work laptop and just put a bandaid on it :-)
 
User avatar
sinr
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:42 pm

I believe this is a motion sensor, not a camera. Many airlines have them. Hasn't anyone noticed if they fall asleep while watching a movie on a plane, the screen is black when they awake? This is due to no motion being detected for a certain amount of time. I've actually had it happen to me a couple of times while being awake because I wasn't moving for a long time.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6522
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:49 pm

And lets not forget about the cockpit spy cam to see who is in the galley outside the door.When you use the toilet in the area for the thrid time the captain say,"I think he had the fish." :rotfl:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4367
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:09 pm

Seems like the airline could easily put a plastic fill or sticker on each camera. My guess is they like the ability to turn them on if need be but are indeed disabled.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1094
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:40 pm

To all who screams that this is just conspiracy theories: while I do not buy into 99% of them, the recent scandals on Facebook & Co. (Cambridge Analytica, potential interventions in the social media of foreign government into elections, etc) have confirmed that many companies will collect your data without your consents for their own financial benefit, including for political benefits...

Not sure the presence of this camera is helping with this.
 
IADFCO
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:54 pm

I agree that it's most likely that it is an economic issue, i.e., cheaper to buy with the camera than custom made without.

However it could have security applications. The passenger in 36C is suspicious for whatever reason? Turn the camera on on him/her and send the video feed to the air marshal in plain clothes somewhere else on the plane.
 
winginit
Posts: 2546
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:36 pm

enilria wrote:
Maybe you just want video of a married person kissing someone else on the plane to use as blackmail to get the software used to make whatever.


... what?! We've entered the full twilight zone here. Put on your tin foil hats everyone

enilria wrote:
I would suspect government influence if something like that is occurring, with the airline being passively involved. Even if it isn't occurring now, this is the future we are quickly headed toward where everything is recorded by somebody and with facial recognition is tied back to you.


I will ask you, enrilia, again - directly: do you think SQ is using these cameras to spy on passengers at present?
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2771
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:00 pm

Delta has cameras built into the IFE screens on their A350's. Very bottom, off center. Its hard to spot. I was told that they're inactive. Who knows/...
 
AtomicGarden
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:53 am

Had they put a sticker in them, A-net would be full of people ranting about how unaesthetic they look and that the airline should just disable the camera feature.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7070
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:21 am

I think some airlines and IFE manufacturers had a wet dream to provide video call function thru IFE. Probably the huge bandwidth cost killed that dream.

I recall reading on a frequent flyer site that most planes have cameras in cabins. There goes the privacy wet dream of passengers.
 
User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 9489
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:54 am

winginit wrote:
I will ask you, enrilia, again - directly: do you think SQ is using these cameras to spy on passengers at present?

I don't think SQ would care. It's the government of Singapore I'd worry about. Whether it is happening now or not, it will happen before long. I wouldn't be surprised if the U.S. carriers pushed by DHS weren't the first to do it.
 
User avatar
TVNWZ
Posts: 2194
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:28 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:13 am

these are just fancy Galaxies and iPads probably made by Foxconn. Everything in those devices are probably there and the software is probably turned off (or not.). It’s much like engine thrust. Want more? Pay us and we’ll give you more.

And who really expects any privacy on public transportation? Really.
 
moa999
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:25 am

Has anyone actually confirmed that they are actually cameras and not motion sensors or light sensors (for auto brightness).
 
planecane
Posts: 1020
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:03 am

C010T3 wrote:
A mere sticker would solve the issue.

What issue? An airplane seat is not exactly a private place. Any other passenger or FA can see whatever the camera sees. If it was in the lav that would be another story.
 
c933103
Posts: 3788
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:05 am

moa999 wrote:
Has anyone actually confirmed that they are actually cameras and not motion sensors or light sensors (for auto brightness).

The official response from SQ basically confirmed it's a camera
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.
 
moa999
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: SQ's IFE Has a Camera Possibly Watching in Every Seat

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:21 am

c933103 wrote:
moa999 wrote:
Has anyone actually confirmed that they are actually cameras and not motion sensors or light sensors (for auto brightness).

The official response from SQ basically confirmed it's a camera
Probably a combined sensor though (phones of a few years ago had multiple visible sensors, now it's generally just the one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos