Topic Author

Westjet’s first inflight safety video

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:28 am

https://youtu.be/rwLTSEGlXSo

I like it , it’s very cute .

EChid

Re: Westjet’s first inflight safety video

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:52 am

It is cute...but I've never seen an airline talk about the green exit symbol so much...and talk about it twice (once in the middle, once at the end).

NYPECO

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:54 am

It's 7 minutes long!

Akiestar

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:19 am

I actually like this better than AC's video. AC's video is shorter, but feels more corporate. WS's video seems more fun, and I can't wait to see it someday.

NYPECO wrote:
It's 7 minutes long!

GS (Tianjin Airlines) has a longer video, with a runtime of over nine minutes. ;)

To be fair, it has to do with the fact that Canada has two official languages and of course they have to make the video in English and French. If memory serves, AC's video tracks over five minutes precisely for this reason. Many airlines run safety videos both in English and that country's language. The runtime for MU's safety video, for example, is over six minutes when both the Chinese and English versions are played.

That said, WS can trim its video by around 15-20 seconds by just mentioning exit information once, not twice.

EChid

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Akiestar wrote:
I actually like this better than AC's video. AC's video is shorter, but feels more corporate. WS's video seems more fun, and I can't wait to see it someday.

I personally wouldn't say it's better, it's just completely different. AC's whole new marketing and branding is a more sombre/serious mix of colours, it's going for 'Classy/Full Service' airline. AC doesn't have Disney livery planes. They don't do that sort of thing. WS is just trying to focus on a different crowd, their quite small J class communicates that clearly as well, and their tone/branding is different as a result.

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Well put Echid, two different brands , with different tones. I would say WJA is about creating a more fun and relaxed environment akin to how Delta Air Lines aproaches many aspects of its operation. Just have a quick look at Delta’s latest Safety Card pre flight safety demo : https://youtu.be/d0BPRS2LcY8 . It echoes a very similar relaxed approach.

USAirALB

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:56 pm

EChid wrote:
It is cute...but I've never seen an airline talk about the green exit symbol so much...and talk about it twice (once in the middle, once at the end).

DL basically says the exact same thing word for word on their A321/A350/A220 aircraft.

On AA, they stress it not only during the 787 safety video but before arrival during the pre-arrival video briefing, where they also have the green exit symbol and the traditional US style exit sign displayed side by side with an equal sign in between them.

The green exit symbol only recently became common in Canada within the last couple of years, with older buildings and structure still displaying the North American red and white sign. So I guess they place such emphasis due to the potential unfamiliarity of the sign.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Akiestar

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:00 pm

EChid wrote:

WS replied to someone who said this in the video comments and they said it's an FAA requirement. Is this true?

USAirALB

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:15 pm

Akiestar wrote:
EChid wrote:

WS replied to someone who said this in the video comments and they said it's an FAA requirement. Is this true?

I believe so. When I flew the DL A321 I recall a placard near the forward entry door that said something along the lines of "FAA Regulations require that all occupants be informed prior to departure that exit signs on this aircraft are green sign symbols".
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Akiestar

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:33 pm

USAirALB wrote:
Akiestar wrote:
EChid wrote:

I believe so. When I flew the DL A321 I recall a placard near the forward entry door that said something along the lines of "FAA Regulations require that all occupants be informed prior to departure that exit signs on this aircraft are green sign symbols".

I get that, but what I'm curious about is whether or not in a safety video or demonstration, it has to be said twice. The DL videos mention it only once, for example.

ac7e7

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:46 pm

EChid wrote:
Akiestar wrote:

I personally wouldn't say it's better, it's just completely different. AC's whole new marketing and branding is a more sombre/serious mix of colours, it's going for 'Classy/Full Service' airline. AC doesn't have Disney livery planes. They don't do that sort of thing. WS is just trying to focus on a different crowd, their quite small J class communicates that clearly as well, and their tone/branding is different as a result.

Agreed - AC is marketing specifically to the corporate frequent flyer. The WS safety video is good, and I like it. However, is this another example of Westjet not being focused on who their customer is? WS is pushing their new business class seating on their 787 (and later their 737s) and are on the record saying their are hoping to win over AC business class customers. Then they release a safety video geared towards families and first time flyers?

Again, I like the video. If WS continued to focus on their traditional customer base, I would have no issue.
However, this is just demonstrating to me that Westjet is going in all directions and has no real focus.

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:03 pm

ac7e7 wrote:
EChid wrote:
Akiestar wrote:

Agreed - AC is marketing specifically to the corporate frequent flyer. The WS safety video is good, and I like it. However, is this another example of Westjet not being focused on who their customer is? WS is pushing their new business class seating on their 787 (and later their 737s) and are on the record saying their are hoping to win over AC business class customers. Then they release a safety video geared towards families and first time flyers?

Again, I like the video. If WS continued to focus on their traditional customer base, I would have no issue.
However, this is just demonstrating to me that Westjet is going in all directions and has no real focus.

What is wrong with staying true to their caring and fun culture , that is what I am getting from their video. In my view the video shows this to me. They had a little fun with the video, that shows they still have personality as they always have. :) Also just because a business injects fun and personality into their marketing or interactions with their customer base , does not mean they cannot attract a corporate customer base and build new relationships with those customers. Many companies only focus on a single, generic way for building customer relationships and this is a two-dimensional approach because there’s no one-size-fits-all way to build great customer relationships. There are just as many ways to build relationships as there are to build products.

Look at Virgin Atlantic for example, 35% of their customers travel for business, and yet they have a good portion of their other customer base who are also first time flyers. They cater to this target audience and make their experience fun and ultra cool. They have an animated safety demonstration , yet still fly business travellers. Westjet is boutique, and they are certainly pursuing a path outside of the stuffy traditional way of going global. They are refining their approach somewhat but still being true to their caring and fun roots.

EChid

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:02 am

ac7e7 wrote:
EChid wrote:
Akiestar wrote:

I don't think that this assessment is fair. WS has the Business Class cabin because they are going for the premium market. They've kept those cabins small in order to lower the risk of that. This video still focuses on their core customer (leisure flyers), without driving away corporate flyers. Business flyers select based on product, time, routing, and reliability. The safety video doesn't factor into it.

ac7e7

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:22 am

EChid wrote:
ac7e7 wrote:
EChid wrote:

I don't think that this assessment is fair. WS has the Business Class cabin because they are going for the premium market. They've kept those cabins small in order to lower the risk of that. This video still focuses on their core customer (leisure flyers), without driving away corporate flyers. Business flyers select based on product, time, routing, and reliability. The safety video doesn't factor into it.

Of course the safety video doesn’t factor into the decision of whether a business traveller chooses WS over AC. Honestly, I can’t believe that had to be said. I’m saying it is a symptom of a bigger problem at WS - lack of focus.

If business travellers were attracted to that ‘fun and caring’ corporate culture fluff, WS would already have a higher share of that market. The jokes are fun the first few times, but as a previous frequent traveller on WS (weekly), I found them increasingly annoying.

Everyone here claims WS is focusing on a different segment of the market than AC. Yet, WS is on record saying they want to win over AC business travellers. To date, WS has done a horrible job trying to win business travellers from AC. They have tried many campaigns over the years and failed. A bunch of fancy seats won’t make the difference. They need a deeper product offering (a better frequent flyer program, lounges (their own), priority baggage, concierge services, etc.), and that would just bring them on par with AC. Not enough for someone to move their business.

Having said that, Longhauler made a great point in another recent thread - CP offered a better product than AC, yet business travellers still opted for AC. Maybe WS should stick to their strengths and focus on infrequent travellers visiting grandma. As a frequent business traveller, I find WS to be inferior in every way.

Chasing low yields with Swoop while also chasing AC business travellers is a bad business plan. There is no focus at WS, and investors know this. Look at their stock price over the past year.

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:32 am

ac7e7 wrote:
EChid wrote:
ac7e7 wrote:

Of course the safety video doesn’t factor into the decision of whether a business traveller chooses WS over AC. Honestly, I can’t believe that had to be said. I’m saying it is a symptom of a bigger problem at WS - lack of focus.

If business travellers were attracted to that ‘fun and caring’ corporate culture fluff, WS would already have a higher share of that market. The jokes are fun the first few times, but as a previous frequent traveller on WS (weekly), I found them increasingly annoying.

Everyone here claims WS is focusing on a different segment of the market than AC. Yet, WS is on record saying they want to win over AC business travellers. To date, WS has done a horrible job trying to win business travellers from AC. They have tried many campaigns over the years and failed. A bunch of fancy seats won’t make the difference. They need a deeper product offering (a better frequent flyer program, lounges (their own), priority baggage, concierge services, etc.), and that would just bring them on par with AC. Not enough for someone to move their business.

Having said that, Longhauler made a great point in another recent thread - CP offered a better product than AC, yet business travellers still opted for AC. Maybe WS should stick to their strengths and focus on infrequent travellers visiting grandma. As a frequent business traveller, I find WS to be inferior in every way.

Chasing low yields with Swoop while also chasing AC business travellers is a bad business plan. There is no focus at WS, and investors know this. Look at their stock price over the past year.

I think WJA does have focus for each key piece of market segment they are going after. I think they are smart to tackle different initiatives and have the capabilty. I think WestJet understands the principles behind market segmentation. Mainline is going full service and the teams there are executing on delivering that. Priority services for the premium market are being rolled out bit by bit ( ie WJ owned lounges under construction, priority baggage tagging is currently being fine tuned and will launch shortly etc. Their network is strengthening by eliminating unprofitable capacity. They are focusing on strengthening their yyc hub first followed by yyz and yvr. They are deepening their ties with their airline partners , won’t be long before the regulators approve the Delta / Westjet joint venture, following that a joint venture application with the klm-air france group. Building and transforming Westjet won’t happen over night but they are being very disciplined with their approach. Swoop is successfully targetting the cost cost conscious market and protecting their share in that market segment which WJA used to dominate in the late 90’s. From what I can see and hear they are focused and realize there is plenty of work ahead for them to fully reach their desired potential.

Even at Air Canada it wasn’t too long ago that the investment community hadworries about their initiative execution risk. Everything from perceived risk from overexpansion, overinvestment and leverage , labour peace, a pension surplus, a comprehensive fleet overhaul, a new leisure carrier, new contracts with regional partners, huge international growth, a successful debt refinancing — the list goes on. Then lot of the things they had been doing for a period of time came to fruition and was appreciated by the market. They no longer had to defend or explain away their issues of high capacity, negative yields, elevated capital spending, negative free cash flow and high debt levels as they began to see (or were on the cusp of seeing) inflection points in each of the above.

The same has started and hopefully will continue with each of WJA unique analysts’ worries.

My view is I will withhold a judgement of failure until their plan reaches maturity. It is too soon to assume anything at this time , but by following each quarter we can see how their execution unfolds. So far they on track with more road to cover for sure.

ac7e7

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:01 am

In other words, they are trying to be everything to everyone. Generally, not a successful strategy.

Eventually, they will either dump Swoop, or convert their aircraft back to all economy. I think there is a better chance of them dumping Swoop once they have obliterated Flair and others wanting to get into the ULCC market (if that market even exists in Canada considering high airport costs). There is more potential upside focusing on higher-yield customers. Whether they can successfully execute the strategy remains to be seen. The financial markets don’t seem convinced.

CHM1990

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:32 am

It’s cute, effective and I think it speaks to the little kid inside all of us - which yes, even business travellers have! Well done Westjet!

CFWAD

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:35 am

cirrusdragoon wrote:
ac7e7 wrote:
EChid wrote:

I think WJA does have focus for each key piece of market segment they are going after. I think they are smart to tackle different initiatives and have the capabilty. I think WestJet understands the principles behind market segmentation. Mainline is going full service and the teams there are executing on delivering that. Priority services for the premium market are being rolled out bit by bit ( ie WJ owned lounges under construction, priority baggage tagging is currently being fine tuned and will launch shortly etc. Their network is strengthening by eliminating unprofitable capacity. They are focusing on strengthening their yyc hub first followed by yyz and yvr. They are deepening their ties with their airline partners , won’t be long before the regulators approve the Delta / Westjet joint venture, following that a joint venture application with the klm-air france group. Building and transforming Westjet won’t happen over night but they are being very disciplined with their approach. Swoop is successfully targetting the cost cost conscious market and protecting their share in that market segment which WJA used to dominate in the late 90’s. From what I can see and hear they are focused and realize there is plenty of work ahead for them to fully reach their desired potential.

Even at Air Canada it wasn’t too long ago that the investment community hadworries about their initiative execution risk. Everything from perceived risk from overexpansion, overinvestment and leverage , labour peace, a pension surplus, a comprehensive fleet overhaul, a new leisure carrier, new contracts with regional partners, huge international growth, a successful debt refinancing — the list goes on. Then lot of the things they had been doing for a period of time came to fruition and was appreciated by the market. They no longer had to defend or explain away their issues of high capacity, negative yields, elevated capital spending, negative free cash flow and high debt levels as they began to see (or were on the cusp of seeing) inflection points in each of the above.

The same has started and hopefully will continue with each of WJA unique analysts’ worries.

My view is I will withhold a judgement of failure until their plan reaches maturity. It is too soon to assume anything at this time , but by following each quarter we can see how their execution unfolds. So far they on track with more road to cover for sure.

Name one airline right now, at least in the Western hemisphere, that is attempting to organically grow an entire regional subsidy, a tier-3 partner, an ULCC AND attempt a rebrand of themselves as an International "premium" airline? It's absurd and some things will have to scale back, and already have as far as A/C deliveries are concerned.

The one thing I will give WS is their partnership w/ DL. Until UA gets their product in order, I truly hate the 2-decade+ old partnership AC and UA have. I actually book DL over AC in some cases flying transborder because of how good the DL product is. Does nothing for my Aeroplan accumulation, but I'm also not stuck on a 2000-era RJ cabin ala UA.
CaVOK
A300.310.319.320.321.332.333.343.B722.732.733.734.735.736.73G.738.739.742.74M.752.762.763.772.773.779.CR2.CR7.DC9.DC10.DH1.DH3.DH4.E135.E175. E195.MD83

EChid

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:21 pm

CFWAD wrote:
Name one airline right now, at least in the Western hemisphere, that is attempting to organically grow an entire regional subsidy, a tier-3 partner, an ULCC AND attempt a rebrand of themselves as an International "premium" airline? It's absurd and some things will have to scale back, and already have as far as A/C deliveries are concerned.

The one thing I will give WS is their partnership w/ DL. Until UA gets their product in order, I truly hate the 2-decade+ old partnership AC and UA have. I actually book DL over AC in some cases flying transborder because of how good the DL product is. Does nothing for my Aeroplan accumulation, but I'm also not stuck on a 2000-era RJ cabin ala UA.

At this point everyone and their dog is writing on forums about how WS is a lost cause/doesn't know what they're doing/is expanding too quickly. I'm not really sure what repeating what people have already said is accomplishing in a thread about Westjet's inflight safety video, especially since many here agree.

As others have said, the video is cute and show's their future branding focus. That, to me, is about the extent of the new conversation points that can be extracted from this topic until we see 2019 through and their new routes and services produce some numbers.

Forecasting doom and gloom is a lot less fun then just seeing how things go.

DC1979

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:55 pm

I didn’t really care for it. I feel like for the first flight or two, it might be ok, but after fourth or fifth viewing it would get really old fast. It is also loooooooooooooong. I get the bilingual thing, but I don’t find the safety video on AC to drag on that long. Also ACs video doesn’t get annoying watching over and over. I find the cutesy videos to be fine once or twice but after that it starts getting on my nerves.

longhauler

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:43 pm

DC1979 wrote:
I find the cutesy videos to be fine once or twice but after that it starts getting on my nerves.

That appears to be the big issue. "Cute" safety videos, or "comedy" safety demonstrations are really geared toward those passengers who rarely fly. That is the leisure/vacation/low yield type passenger.

If an airline wishes to cater to someone who flies a great deal, they usually tone down the safety demos as the same old comedy routine gets old very fast.

On another thread, I mentioned sitting beside high miler passengers and when they wish to talk, I often ask their opinions on certain aspects of the operation. The safety demo is almost always mentioned. One gentleman even said, (and not mentioning any airline), "If I hear there may be 50 ways to leave your lover but only 6 ways to leave a 737 one more time ..... ". I just chuckled.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

berari

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:15 am

The background music is so loud ... like United's.

jimbo737

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:52 am

ac7e7 wrote:
EChid wrote:
ac7e7 wrote:

AC has, or essentially pays for a fleet made up of at aircraft from at least 4 airframers with multiple engine types, umpteen seating configurations, servicing every conceivable market from 19 seats to close to 500 seats, from 4 hubs in a country the population of California, chasing market share in every tranche of the market from the premium front end to the lowest bottom feeding Rouge passenger looking for a cheap seat to Cancun or Warsaw.

I'm not sure how you could conjure up a more unfocused, complex business strategy, all underwritten by cheap fuel over the past 5 years. We're back to the 1996, "be all things to everyone, everywhere, all the time" strategy.

But then again, get a load of those unit costs last quarter. 16+ cents with an asl of close to 1,700 miles.

WJ's unit costs are about 30% lower, even as they simultaneously incur the costs of developing and spooling up into a couple of areas of the business new to them, a necessary evil in a tiny market and when juniority can no longer be relied upon to keep labor costs low.

For the first time in close to 20 years, AC has a domestic competitor with the a large, established domestic and transborder feed network, (and getting bigger because of the very tight relationship with Delta), with new aircraft with huge range and, for the time being, a very modest premium class component that, over time, will be used to disrupt all the low hanging fruit on long haul premium business travel, just as WS did domestically in Canada 23 years ago. WS has always had premium economy on the TATL, (and those seats are impossible to get), and business class represents 5% of seating capacity. Not a big risk, folks.

There's nothing AC would like more than for WS to get out of a couple of sectors of the business, (esp long haul with the ability and cost structure to undermine premium yields), thus the constant yipping and yapping from the peanut gallery about WS's so called "unfocused" strategy.

tjcab

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:30 am

USAirALB wrote:
Akiestar wrote:
EChid wrote:

HMM, one should not use colour, but rather symbols due to colour blindness/accessibility concerns where possible. Other airlines say "marked as" or some form of that. So, some airlines have red exit symbols (also, is that not more universal/cross-vehicle and buildings)?

airplaneboy

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:08 am

Akiestar wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
Akiestar wrote:

I get that, but what I'm curious about is whether or not in a safety video or demonstration, it has to be said twice. The DL videos mention it only once, for example.

I believe Canadian regulations require operators to point out the exits prior to arrival as well. I don’t know if this has anything to do with stating the exit locations twice in the same video (beginning and end), however.

CrewBunk

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:35 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
AC has, or essentially pays for a fleet made up of at aircraft from at least 4 airframers with multiple engine types, umpteen seating configurations, servicing every conceivable market from 19 seats to close to 500 seats, from 4 hubs in a country the population of California, chasing market share in every tranche of the market from the premium front end to the lowest bottom feeding Rouge passenger looking for a cheap seat to Cancun or Warsaw.

I'm not sure how you could conjure up a more unfocused, complex business strategy, all underwritten by cheap fuel over the past 5 years. We're back to the 1996, "be all things to everyone, everywhere, all the time" strategy.

But then again, get a load of those unit costs last quarter. 16+ cents with an asl of close to 1,700 miles.

WJ's unit costs are about 30% lower, even as they simultaneously incur the costs of developing and spooling up into a couple of areas of the business new to them, a necessary evil in a tiny market and when juniority can no longer be relied upon to keep labor costs low.

It certainly didn't take you long to turn a thread about safety videos into a thread about finances. When these drums get sounded ad nauseum and when you make fun of your competitor's name, it makes one wonder if things aren't so rosy over at Calgary headquarters.

Yes westjet's unit costs are lower .... how's that been working out for them so far?? Static stock price, ho hum year end results, little change in market capitalization in what ... 5 years? All while Air Canada's is more than five times during the same time. I'd sure hate to be the guy that recommended westjet stock as an investment.

While Air Canada's stock price continues to grow, I can't see westjet moving much over the next few years.

Yes, fuel prices have been very low. Good thing for westjet!!! Had fuel stayed the same, Air Canada would have had lower profits, but westjet would have had 5 years of losses!

jimbo737 wrote:
There's nothing AC would like more than for WS to get out of a couple of sectors of the business, (esp long haul with the ability and cost structure to undermine premium yields), thus the constant yipping and yapping from the peanut gallery about WS's so called "unfocused" strategy.

With regard to the business sector, my guess would be that Air Canada, nor anyone for that matter, would even pay westjet any attention.