sonicruiser
Topic Author

Snow in Greater LA area

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:22 pm

Anyone know what airports might be affected by this? LAX is too far south but upper LA appears to be getting a good dose. The Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena region as well as Santa Clarita and Palmdale are forecast for snow according to some reports.

LAXintl

Re: Snow in Greater LA area

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:26 pm

No such forecast in the basin:

KBUR 212026Z 2120/2218 33005KT P6SM -SHRA VCTS SCT040CB BKN120
FM212100 30006KT P6SM VCSH SCT035 BKN060
FM220200 35008KT P6SM SKC
FM220600 VRB03KT P6SM SKC
FM221500 00000KT P6SM SKC

KONT 212308Z 2123/2224 05012G20KT P6SM VCSH SCT035 SCT050
TEMPO 2123/2202 -SHRA BKN030
FM220400 VRB05KT P6SM SCT050

KLAX 212102Z 2121/2224 26013G16KT P6SM -SHRA VCTS SCT050CB BKN120
FM220200 30008KT P6SM SKC
FM220600 VRB03KT P6SM SKC
FM221500 00000KT P6SM SKC
FM222000 26010KT P6SM SKC
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MIflyer12

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:45 pm

It's not that LAX is farther south - it's at an elevation 2,500 ft lower than Palmdale, and near the ocean. This is a good time to point out the need for knowledge of SoCal (and Bay Area) microclimates.

MrBretz

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:58 pm

The local mountains have gotten, are getting snow. Even the Santa Ana range(Saddleback) is getting a dusting. Some time ago, I researched when there was snow that stayed on the ground in Orange County. My recollection is that it was around 1950.

laxmia

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:59 pm

Not forecast for the basin, but I'd argue West Hollywood is in the basin (at the cusp) and it's receiving snow today. Unlikely to impact ops at any airport, but unusual weather for SoCal to say the least. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:59 pm

Oh my gosh these threds need to stop. A bunch of people from the East coast who don't realize how big the mountains are out west. There is plenty of sking in the LA area there are large mountains. LAX is at sea level they are not getting snow

compensateme

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:05 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Oh my gosh these threds need to stop. A bunch of people from the East coast who don't realize how big the mountains are out west. There is plenty of sking in the LA area there are large mountains. LAX is at sea level they are not getting snow

Not effecting LAX, but not quite true. Per the Times, snow fell in WeHo (and elsewhere), making it the first time since 1962 snow was recorded in Los Angeles.
Last edited by compensateme on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

MrBretz

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:05 am

laxmia wrote:
Not forecast for the basin, but I'd argue West Hollywood is in the basin (at the cusp) and it's receiving snow today. Unlikely to impact ops at any airport, but unusual weather for SoCal to say the least. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html

I was at UCLA today and there was no snow. If you read the article is said there was some snow at 1000’ and it melted when it hit the ground. It has been cool here. The days have been in the mid to upper 50s and the nights are in the 40s with an occasional dip into the high 30s.

SRQKEF

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:31 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

It seems it’s just a single poster, I thought someone was having a laugh when I saw three “Snow at XYZ?” threads in a row on the forum.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

Byrdluvs747

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:36 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Seriously!!! Map-readers who don't understand the weather patterns out west.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

26point2

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:05 am

I just got back to the Marina del Rey Marriott after a bicycle ride up to about 2300' in the Santa Monica Mountains. 43F was the coldest I saw on the bike computer at about 1300 hours. That's pretty cold for So Cal at 2300' but not cold enough for snow. Back at SL an hour later it's 54F. Puffy jackets required.

F9LASDEN

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:08 am

SRQKEF wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

It seems it’s just a single poster, I thought someone was having a laugh when I saw three “Snow at XYZ?” threads in a row on the forum.

Yep, the “Snow at LAS/PHX/LA?” threads were all started by the same person.
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

janders

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:01 am

I don't think people appreciate how massive Los Angeles is.

LA County alone is larger than many states such as Connecticut, Rhode island and Delaware. Add in adjacent counties like Orange and San Bernardino it becomes far larger than Massachusetts, New Jersey, Maryland etc.

With it's size you can drive for hours and still be in LA, and likewise experience diverse climates that will let you go skiing in the morning and surfing in the afternoon.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

UPlog

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:07 am

Yes greater LA area gets snow every year.

Time to move on to another thread now...

jetwet1

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:55 am

F9LASDEN wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

To be fair, snow at those 3 airports is rare rare enough to ask how they will handle operations, at least in the case of LAS/PHX, let's face it, if it snows at LAX the TV stations will be doing a minute by minute crisis watch for us.

DiscoverCSG

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:30 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
F9LASDEN wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

To be fair, snow at those 3 airports is rare rare enough to ask how they will handle operations, at least in the case of LAS/PHX, let's face it, if it snows at LAX the TV stations will be doing a minute by minute crisis watch for us.

Amen. Snow at LAX is as likely as a hurricane at MUC. Ain't gonna happen.

RobertS975

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:21 pm

There may have been wet flakes in the Hollywood Hills yesterday, but it wasn't "stickin' ".

afcjets

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm

DiscoverCSG wrote:

Amen. Snow at LAX is as likely as a hurricane at MUC. Ain't gonna happen.

I remember it snowing one night at my place between SNA airport and the ocean, closer to the ocean and only a couple of miles away. It likely snowed at LAX that night too and I am almost certain it did at SNA since it is further inland. It didn’t really last long or stick though.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:54 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
F9LASDEN wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

Not thread worthy. All three are very near areas that get lots of snow. They would be able to treat the runway if there was a real threat. It would be a waste of money though as any "snow" is unlikely to stick to paved surafces just grass and you just wait a few hours and it will all be gone! These cities are not like MCO, TPA, MIA something where they are nowhere near a place that sees snow and equipment wouldnt be available. Those airports would have a real issue and be thread worthy.

If a real event hit LAS, LAX, or PHX which has never happened to my knowledge they would be able to treat the runway and it would melt. Equipment is very close by. Not worth the expense unless it's gonna stick for more than a few hours. These stories are snow sticking to grass, flakes seen, or in the area. Snow falls constantly in los Angeles county and Clark county the airports are in low spots and equipment and supplies are very close by if the need was ever there.

compensateme

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:01 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
F9LASDEN wrote:

Not thread worthy. All three are very near areas that get lots of snow. They would be able to treat the runway if there was a real threat. It would be a waste of money though as any "snow" is unlikely to stick to paved surafces just grass and you just wait a few hours and it will all be gone! These cities are not like MCO, TPA, MIA something where they are nowhere near a place that sees snow and equipment wouldnt be available. Those airports would have a real issue and be thread worthy.

If a real event hit LAS, LAX, or PHX which has never happened to my knowledge they would be able to treat the runway and it would melt. Equipment is very close by. Not worth the expense unless it's gonna stick for more than a few hours. These stories are snow sticking to grass, flakes seen, or in the area. Snow falls constantly in los Angeles county and Clark county the airports are in low spots and equipment and supplies are very close by if the need was ever there.

While the thread belongs in non-aviation, given that the NWS is trying to determine if snow stuck to the ground in LA for the first time since 1949 (!), I’d disagree about its worthiness.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

SteveXC500

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:14 pm

Can I start a thread titled SNOW AT MSP???

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos