SUNCTRY738
Topic Author

SEA IAF update and Ed Bastian comments

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:23 pm

Interesting article with a Port of Seattle IAF project update:

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... ss-of.html

I do think DL will expand internationally at SEA after this project is complete. I know the naysayers will say I am wrong, but the naysayers have pretty much been wrong about DL's SEA plans since day 1.

SUNCTRY738
Topic Author

Re: SEA IAF update and Ed Bastian comments

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Here is a link to the Port's update for those who cannot access the full article:

http://meetings.portseattle.org/portmee ... b_supp.pdf

FSDan

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:39 pm

Cool to see it progressing! Is the 20 international gate figure including the international gates that already exist on the South Satellite, or will there be 20 new international gates on the A concourse?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Fargo

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:45 pm

Is Delta still planning on 30 gates and 250 to 300 flights long term? If so, how do they plan to get there?

SUNCTRY738
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:56 pm

I have not heard the 250-300 daily flights numbers before. Last I heard was around 200 flights. 200-225 seems pretty attainable with the "CANNABUS" joining the fleet and all the markets like DFW, DAL, IAH, MCI, STL, OMA, ABQ, and more that those aircraft can serve from SEA.

Fargo

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:00 pm

SUNCTRY738 wrote:
I have not heard the 250-300 daily flights numbers before. Last I heard was around 200 flights. 200-225 seems pretty attainable with the "CANNABUS" joining the fleet and all the markets like DFW, DAL, IAH, MCI, STL, OMA, ABQ, and more that those aircraft can serve from SEA.

I thought back in 2014, Delta stated they wanted 30 gates and to operate almost 250 flights?

300 would put them closer to UA at SFO, but maybe they don’t need to be that.

ER757

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:26 pm

FSDan wrote:
Cool to see it progressing! Is the 20 international gate figure including the international gates that already exist on the South Satellite, or will there be 20 new international gates on the A concourse?

20 total - fun to watch the progress - lots happening at SEA as far as construction. In addition to this project, the North Satellite renovation/expansion is pretty far along, they've opened part of it already. And the Central Marketplace renovation is well along too. It's painful while all this is going on, but the end result will be worth the short-term headaches

FSDan

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:59 pm

ER757 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

20 total - fun to watch the progress - lots happening at SEA as far as construction. In addition to this project, the North Satellite renovation/expansion is pretty far along, they've opened part of it already. And the Central Marketplace renovation is well along too. It's painful while all this is going on, but the end result will be worth the short-term headaches

Out of the 20 total, do you know how many are on the Satellite (IIRC, there are one or two non-international gates on the Satellite?) vs on A?

ER757

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:43 pm

FSDan wrote:
ER757 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Out of the 20 total, do you know how many are on the Satellite (IIRC, there are one or two non-international gates on the Satellite?) vs on A?

No, sorry I do not know how many are at each - my guess (and that's all it is) would be 16 at the South Satellite and 4 on concourse A. There are currently one or two international use gates at A, EI uses one of them for sure.

FSDan

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:46 pm

ER757 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
ER757 wrote:

No, sorry I do not know how many are at each - my guess (and that's all it is) would be 16 at the South Satellite and 4 on concourse A. There are currently one or two international use gates at A, EI uses one of them for sure.

EI goes has customs pre-clearance at DUB though, so do they even need an international gate at SEA? I'd imagine they just need any gate that can accommodate an A330.

ER757

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:54 pm

FSDan wrote:
ER757 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

EI goes has customs pre-clearance at DUB though, so do they even need an international gate at SEA? I'd imagine they just need any gate that can accommodate an A330.

D'oh.....I forgot about that. But there are definitely a couple secure gates in A - I want to say A12 and A14 - if I have a chance, I will wander down that way later this afternoon to verify the correct numbers as I volunteer there on Fridays

MIflyer12

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Fargo wrote:
SUNCTRY738 wrote:

I thought back in 2014, Delta stated they wanted 30 gates and to operate almost 250 flights?

This is what I recall about SEA statements - an article from 6/2014:

Delta’s master plan to become “the region’s global carrier” — and turn Sea-Tac Airport into Delta’s West Coast gateway to Asia — is picking up steam. By 2017, Delta plans to offer 150-plus daily flights from Seattle, says Mike Medeiros, Delta’s vice president for Seattle. That is a giant leap from the 38 flights it was offering from Seattle to 15 destinations at the beginning of this year.

https://www.seattlebusinessmag.com/arti ... vs-delta-0

BA

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:08 pm

FSDan wrote:
ER757 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

12 widebody gates on the South Satellite and 8 widebody gates on Concourse A.

The one non-international gate on the South Satellite will become international capable.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

BA

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:11 pm

ER757 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
ER757 wrote:

D'oh.....I forgot about that. But there are definitely a couple secure gates in A - I want to say A12 and A14 - if I have a chance, I will wander down that way later this afternoon to verify the correct numbers as I volunteer there on Fridays

There are no international gates currently on Concourse A as the only Federal Inspection Station (FIS) at Sea-Tac is at the South Satellite, which will be shut down once the new IAF is up and running.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Fargo

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:01 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
SUNCTRY738 wrote:

Delta’s master plan to become “the region’s global carrier” — and turn Sea-Tac Airport into Delta’s West Coast gateway to Asia — is picking up steam. By 2017, Delta plans to offer 150-plus daily flights from Seattle, says Mike Medeiros, Delta’s vice president for Seattle. That is a giant leap from the 38 flights it was offering from Seattle to 15 destinations at the beginning of this year.

But then a few months later, this came out......

http://old.seattletimes.com/html/travel/2025049090_deltaseattlealaskaxml.html

DL I guess wants 30 gates now, which will allow them to expand close to 250 flights. Since DL isn't as big in Asia as UA, perhaps they don't necessarily need to expand SEA to the size of UA's SFO hub. Though as long as AS is in the way, SEA will never be as big as it needs to be for DL.

n7371f

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:45 am

DL more happy now that the incompetent previous management is out.

Still...grossly overpriced and behind schedule.

DL offered to manage the construction and be responsible for delays and over-runs and such. As you'd expect it didn't go over well with Port and a certain airline. DL was given some runaround about how publicly funded build-outs in WA cannot be managed by a private entity. Then again, it would explain the state's incompetence to do anything on-time and on money.

As for DL, Intl expansion has been held back until the expansion is complete. And they do use remote parking when necessary.

USAirKid

Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:19 am

n7371f wrote:
Then again, it would explain the state's incompetence to do anything on-time and on money.

You should watch your generalizations. I'm not going to comb through all sorts of government projects in Washington, but a few that were on budget and/or ontime:
WADOT: I-405 - SR167 Interchange: Delivered early.
Port of Seattle: Concorse D Annex at SeaTac
Sound Transit: Link extension to University of Washington Station

Yes, some projects run over budget, but not all of them, or even a majority of them.
Projects in the private sector also run over budget, they just don't have to be as public about it.

SEAflyer97

Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:33 am

Fargo wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

DL I guess wants 30 gates now, which will allow them to expand close to 250 flights. Since DL isn't as big in Asia as UA, perhaps they don't necessarily need to expand SEA to the size of UA's SFO hub. Though as long as AS is in the way, SEA will never be as big as it needs to be for DL.

There's no way DL gets 30 gates--AS will only have 32 gates after the north satellite expansion. DL and partners will get all A gates and B gates excluding the 5 WN gates, at least that's the plan for now. That's probably around 20 to 25 gates.

SUNCTRY738
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:43 am

I would venture to think it likely DL ends up eventually with all of the B gates. Just a theory, I have no inside information. And it won't happen right away but after gates get added in the next project(s) on the north side of the D concourse and the North Satellite.

I remember some saying DL would never have as many gates at SEA as it does now.

jumbojet

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:12 pm

SUNCTRY738 wrote:
I would venture to think it likely DL ends up eventually with all of the B gates. Just a theory, I have no inside information. And it won't happen right away but after gates get added in the next project(s) on the north side of the D concourse and the North Satellite.

and those people interestingly enough have not posted on this thread, they are nowhere to be found. I think they finally realize that the full weight of DL's 2nd part SEA expansion is right around the corner. The timeline has the facility being complete in about 13-14 months. If that timeline is true, than sometime this year I would imagine DL will start announcing its SEA expansion plans, perfect timing to for when the deliveries of the A339's start ramping up.

I wonder how far those 339's can go from SEA? Can it make SIN? SYD?

phatfarmlines

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:25 pm

During this project, is DL remote-boarding select flights where the construction knocks out a few gates out of commission?

Fargo

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:29 pm

SEAflyer97 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

There's no way DL gets 30 gates--AS will only have 32 gates after the north satellite expansion. DL and partners will get all A gates and B gates excluding the 5 WN gates, at least that's the plan for now. That's probably around 20 to 25 gates.

I think this is long term beyond this project. They surely will not get 30 gates now, but when SEA starts building more gates to the north, I don't see why they couldn't. Like I said, DL may not necessarily need to get SEA to UA/SFO levels, but they do need to be over 200 flights eventually.

TransWorldOne

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:12 pm

jumbojet wrote:
SUNCTRY738 wrote:

and those people interestingly enough have not posted on this thread, they are nowhere to be found. I think they finally realize that the full weight of DL's 2nd part SEA expansion is right around the corner. The timeline has the facility being complete in about 13-14 months. If that timeline is true, than sometime this year I would imagine DL will start announcing its SEA expansion plans, perfect timing to for when the deliveries of the A339's start ramping up.

I don't believe the 339 has the range to make it to SIN or SYD from SEA. Do you really think DL has such ambitious growth plans for SEA? Mind you, they just dropped HKG. I can't imagine what other international flights could be flown profitably from there other than the current 4 TPAC flights and two TATL. Even the upcoming KIX flight seems shaky as it is being discontinued in the fall.

Cubsrule

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:35 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
SUNCTRY738 wrote:

I don't believe the 339 has the range to make it to SIN or SYD from SEA. Do you really think DL has such ambitious growth plans for SEA? Mind you, they just dropped HKG. I can't imagine what other international flights could be flown profitably from there other than the current 4 TPAC flights and two TATL. Even the upcoming KIX flight seems shaky as it is being discontinued in the fall.

KIX is shaky but that has more to do with KIX than with DL or the hub. US carriers have tried all kinds of flights to OSA/KIX over years. Virtually nothing has stuck.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

BA

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:47 pm

SEAflyer97 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Where would UA go? They only built their United Club on Concourse A a few years ago and I think are not going to want to relocate again so soon.

BA

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:54 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
During this project, is DL remote-boarding select flights where the construction knocks out a few gates out of commission?

Yes, I've mainly seen Embraer 175s use remote boarding and some 717 flights.

A number of airlines have begun doing remote boarding, and will continue to do so after all the construction wraps up as the only project that will increase gates is the North Satellite expansion/renovation, and only 8 additional gates, and these are all going to Alaska Airlines.

ER757

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:14 pm

SUNCTRY738 wrote:

I don't think they'll get all of B - WN is over there and there's really nowhere else to put them.

n7371f

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:37 am

I'll have to check but I don't think Delta is getting any additional gate leases after the SEA expansion. I do believe they'll have access to more "generic" gates that are multi-daily use by several airlines.

Let's see...DL had exclusive use at last check to A1-A4, B1, 3, 4, 5, 5A, 7, 7A, S2-6. B9 is now multi-use with construction on A and N.

SUNCTRY738
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:50 pm

ER757 wrote:
SUNCTRY738 wrote:

I don't think they'll get all of B - WN is over there and there's really nowhere else to put them.

Not yet, there isn't. I was referring to the next "expansion", the new gate complex being proposed on the north side. I could see WN giving up a gate in the interim as they shrink their SEA service while DL and AS continue to expand and dominate.

Prost

Thu May 23, 2019 10:27 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... yptr=yahoo

An article with video and pictures on the new IAF facility in Seattle.

klm617

Thu May 23, 2019 10:49 pm

SUNCTRY738 wrote:
Interesting article with a Port of Seattle IAF project update:

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... ss-of.html

I do think DL will expand internationally at SEA after this project is complete. I know the naysayers will say I am wrong, but the naysayers have pretty much been wrong about DL's SEA plans since day 1.

I agree with you Delta is not going to expand in SEA any more that what already is. There is nothing better that can be done that can't be achieve through the KE/DL JV.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

DFW17L

Thu May 23, 2019 11:44 pm

Prost wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2019/05/23/sneak-peek-inside-sea-tac-airports-new-968m.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

An article with video and pictures on the new IAF facility in Seattle.

Impressive engineering.

hiflyeras

Fri May 24, 2019 1:04 am

Slide 13...an ‘Emirates 737’. ;)

wedgetail737

Fri May 24, 2019 1:09 am

SUNCTRY738 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
SUNCTRY738 wrote:

Not yet, there isn't. I was referring to the next "expansion", the new gate complex being proposed on the north side. I could see WN giving up a gate in the interim as they shrink their SEA service while DL and AS continue to expand and dominate.

I found it interesting that AS is using two gates in the B-concourse and F9 is using remote parking.

DenverTed

Fri May 24, 2019 1:35 am

I see they are building the main span of the walkway in the north cargo area. Seems like WW2 was quicker than the remodel of the central food court, it's been shut down forever.

TransWorldOne

Fri May 24, 2019 1:55 am

Great to see the new IAF is progressing nicely. So any day now we can expect DL to announce SEA-SIN, MNL, SYD, TPE, and the resumption of HKG right? KIDDING! I just hope no one is too sorely disappointed when DL doesn't add any new international flights, even well after the new IAF facility is up and running.

ManoaChris

Fri May 24, 2019 2:15 am

DenverTed wrote:
I see they are building the main span of the walkway in the north cargo area. Seems like WW2 was quicker than the remodel of the central food court, it's been shut down forever.

2.5 years is pretty crazy (if it indeed is finished in 2020). Closing off so much space at the same time that the N terminal was in tatters was borderline criminal.

Of course, the project seems to have little to do with serving passengers. More like a pretext for the port to engage in dubious lease conduct.

Prost

Fri May 24, 2019 3:16 am

As well I hope people aren’t too upset if Delta does announce new international destinations.

DwayneStorkman

Fri May 24, 2019 4:29 am

The Port is so inept, incompetent at managing its own builds. In case you wanted a refresher, take a look at the specs on the IFS & how over budget & overtime it is. They're a joke.

dennisho115

Fri May 24, 2019 5:21 am

DenverTed wrote:

The south side that was being remodeled opened like 2 months ago.....

BA

Fri May 24, 2019 5:43 am

ManoaChris wrote:
Of course, the project seems to have little to do with serving passengers. More like a pretext for the port to engage in dubious lease conduct.

How is adding 10,000 square feet of additional dining space not serving the passengers???

NW747

Fri May 24, 2019 5:57 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
Great to see the new IAF is progressing nicely. So any day now we can expect DL to announce SEA-SIN, MNL, SYD, TPE, and the resumption of HKG right? KIDDING! I just hope no one is too sorely disappointed when DL doesn't add any new international flights, even well after the new IAF facility is up and running.

Than again, Seattle recently added JAL and Cathay Pacific service, with Singapore Air starting soon. These on top of recent adds by Aer Lingus and Air France. Several other carriers have expressed interest in starting Seattle flights. I hardly think the new IAF will be underutilized.

DenverTed

Fri May 24, 2019 3:49 pm

dennisho115 wrote:
DenverTed wrote:

The south side that was being remodeled opened like 2 months ago.....

Well 'move that bus!' Ahh, behold, a future elevator, and some different food stores. And you can see out the windows again, so that's cool.

ER757

Fri May 24, 2019 3:59 pm

DenverTed wrote:

The towers to support the walkway are up (not finished yet) and when the bridge is installed, they're closing a runway and bringing it over in the middle of the night to hoist it up all in one shot. Should be pretty cool.

Yes, the central terminal upgrade is taking FAR too long - but at least it's partially back open now giving passengers some additional dining options. Was over to the North Satellite a couple weeks ago and while they've opened some new gates, they've closed some existing ones so there was still quite a bit of work to do. I can say the new Alaska lounge will be spectacular once it's done.

DenverTed

Fri May 24, 2019 4:04 pm

ER757 wrote:
DenverTed wrote:

The towers to support the walkway are up (not finished yet) and when the bridge is installed, they're closing a runway and bringing it over in the middle of the night to hoist it up all in one shot. Should be pretty cool.

Yes, the central terminal upgrade is taking FAR too long - but at least it's partially back open now giving passengers some additional dining options. Was over to the North Satellite a couple weeks ago and while they've opened some new gates, they've closed some existing ones so there was still quite a bit of work to do. I can say the new Alaska lounge will be spectacular once it's done.

Yes, the new North Sat bathrooms are awesome. The disabled bathroom is the size of a small studio apartment.

ER757

Fri May 24, 2019 4:15 pm

DenverTed wrote:
ER757 wrote:
DenverTed wrote:

Yes, the new North Sat bathrooms are awesome. The disabled bathroom is the size of a small studio apartment.

didn't partake of the facilities when I was over there, but I'll check 'em out for sure. Headed to the airport later this afternoon with the pup for my volunteer shift so maybe we'll hop the train to N and see (although my dog is NOT fond of the train - first time we ever went on it, someone's roller bag rolled across the floor and slammed into him - he was not amused)

LH707330

Fri May 24, 2019 4:21 pm

SUNCTRY738 wrote:

The "cannabus?" Can someone explain that one to me? You referring to the flying skidoo (CS/A220)?

FSDan

Fri May 24, 2019 4:43 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:

Yes, I'm sure DL is investing a bunch of money in this IAF upgrade so they can just maintain their current levels of service...

While your list of destinations is obviously tongue-in-cheek and over the top, I do expect DL will start one or two new long haul routes within a year or two of the IAF opening. SEA-TPE or SEA-MNL don't seem out of the realm of possibility. SIN, SYD, or even a return to HKG would surprise me a lot more.

doug_or

Fri May 24, 2019 4:47 pm

LH707330 wrote:
SUNCTRY738 wrote:

The "cannabus?" Can someone explain that one to me? You referring to the flying skidoo (CS/A220)?

Sounds like you figured it out. Canadian Airbus.
When in doubt, one B pump off

Devilfish

Fri May 24, 2019 5:15 pm

FSDan wrote:
While your list of destinations is obviously tongue-in-cheek and over the top, I do expect DL will start one or two new long haul routes within a year or two of the IAF opening. SEA-TPE or SEA-MNL don't seem out of the realm of possibility.

While DL intends to base its new A339s at SEA, they also announced the initial routes to be PVG, ICN and NRT.....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... eo-458449/

Might they do MNL and TPE nonstops with those from SEA later on as more are delivered? Could be challenging with a full load during winter, but may not be viable with less.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos