Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Veigar
Topic Author

What did the 1 in the Southwest heart mean?

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:56 am

I'm talking about on the Desert Gold livery how the red heart had a number 1 in it. What did that mean?

I tried to research, but google did not provide.

777222LR

Re: What did the 1 in the Southwest heart mean?

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:57 am

LUV - as in Dallas Love, and their stock ticker.

Veigar
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:04 am

That doesn't really tell me what the number 1 represents.

asteriskceo

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:24 am

Because they are “#1” in all of the fake awards they give themselves. :lol:

torin

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:29 am

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Southwest-Stories/Introducing-Our-New-Triple-Crown-One/ba-p/42746

That'll answer it

Triple Crown One specialty plane, featuring both its original #1 heart medallion, along with our new Heart branding on its tail. Originally introduced on June 9, 1997, Triple Crown One was dedicated to the Employees of Southwest Airlines responsible for achieving five annual “Triple Crowns” for number one in ontime performance, baggage handling, and Customer Service (based on DOT reports from 1992-1996).

BMWdrvr75

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:32 am

Veigar wrote:
I'm talking about on the Desert Gold livery how the red heart had a number 1 in it. What did that mean?

I tried to research, but google did not provide.

Back when Southwest had great on-time performance, baggage handeling, and the least DOT customer service complaints they created the Triple Crown Award - One in all of those categories. After winning the triple crown five (5) years in a row Southwest Airlines unfurled "Triple Crown One" and then the heart logo with the number (1) ONE it was affixed to the remaining aircraft.

RIP Herb Kelleher....................
We Make Flying Easy......Come fly the Silver Bird........Something Special in the Air......

Veigar
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:19 am

So from what I'm getting here is that the #1 was a self thingy WN did as a way to show "We're #1!" ?

PlanesNTrains

Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:13 am

Veigar wrote:
So from what I'm getting here is that the #1 was a self thingy WN did as a way to show "We're #1!" ?

They were #1 in three DOT categories for five years in a row. That's not a "self thingy". The 1 was their way of showing their pride - or marketing, whichever you prefer.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Veigar
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:39 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Veigar wrote:

They were #1 in three DOT categories for five years in a row. That's not a "self thingy". The 1 was their way of showing their pride - or marketing, whichever you prefer.

Ah, okay, thank you for clearing this up!

barney captain

Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:58 am

Yup. It was an award that we invented and gave it to ourselves.

And no other airline has eve come close.
Southeast Of Disorder

mcdu

Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:09 am

barney captain wrote:

To be completely honest Southwest won the on time award when they weren’t using ACARS. However, once the automated system of ACARS was put in place they plummeted in on time. So was it the ACARS fault that WN became terrible in OT performance or was it WN employees fudging the times before installation?

Funny how pencil whipping OT and fraudulently stating a flight was on time when it wasn’t is not considered a cultural issue to many on this forum. Yet we hear mechanics claiming they were being forced to sign off incomplete work and so many other short cuts that WN has used to keep their operation going over the years. The appearance is certainly that it is cultural.

nws2002

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:17 pm

mcdu wrote:
barney captain wrote:

To be completely honest Southwest won the on time award when they weren’t using ACARS. However, once the automated system of ACARS was put in place they plummeted in on time. So was it the ACARS fault that WN became terrible in OT performance or was it WN employees fudging the times before installation?

Funny how pencil whipping OT and fraudulently stating a flight was on time when it wasn’t is not considered a cultural issue to many on this forum. Yet we hear mechanics claiming they were being forced to sign off incomplete work and so many other short cuts that WN has used to keep their operation going over the years. The appearance is certainly that it is cultural.

Yeah, I know G4 employees do the same thing. 2 minutes late out? Put it in FliFo on time. Although most oustations probably are more likely to mark a flight a few minutes late in too, that way they can get a few extra minutes to play with on the turn.

WayexTDI

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:08 pm

Veigar wrote:

Pretty much. It's called "patting oneself in the back"...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos