Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:13 pm

more than 3x more xled flights at ORD than MDW today
10x more delayed flights at ORD thn MDW today

why is that mcdu?

bob75013

Re: WN at MDW meltdown?

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:17 pm

mcdu wrote:
For today WN has canceled 124 or 7% of the schedule for today and it isn’t even noon eastern time. Is this about the winds at MDW today?

Last hour: KMDW 251553Z 28007KT 10SM FEW110 BKN170 BKN250 M10/M20 A3046

You don't think this has something to do with winter storms impacting both coasts do you?

Nahhh, you don't want to think that because you hate WN.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:06 pm

mcdu wrote:
For today WN has canceled 124 or 7% of the schedule for today and it isn’t even noon eastern time. Is this about the winds at MDW today?

This thread isn’t even about the winds today.

Adios.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

mcdu

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:41 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
mcdu wrote:

Adios.

The excuse yesterday was winds at MDW for the bulk of MDW cancels. Today WN is well ahead of all major carriers in cancels. It seems dubious to blame weather on those cancels. Is WN flying in special wind conditions today that others carriers aren’t? Or are there pilots being extra cautious today like you claimed they were yesterday and canceling flights for weather and wind?

bob75013

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:03 pm

mcdu wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
mcdu wrote:

Adios.

The excuse yesterday was winds at MDW for the bulk of MDW cancels. Today WN is well ahead of all major carriers in cancels. It seems dubious to blame weather on those cancels. Is WN flying in special wind conditions today that others carriers aren’t? Or are there pilots being extra cautious today like you claimed they were yesterday and canceling flights for weather and wind?

So what did WN do to you to make you so butt hurt? Hmmmm???? Your hatred is so apparent.

There are significant weather event on both coasts today. Does WN operate a lot of flights out of CA or places like BWI?

ODwyerPW

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:35 pm

How do I block this MCDU guy. His bias and vitriol ruins productive conversation...

What to do about gents of this sort?

Even Keesje has tired of reminding us of how inferior the 739ER is...
learning never stops.

IPFreely

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:37 pm

mcdu wrote:
Today WN is well ahead of all major carriers in cancels. It seems dubious to blame weather on those cancels.

It has been pointed out to you several times that the other majors have more “brand” cancels than Southwest today. The only difference is that Southwest operates all of their own flights. The other majors hide behind 4 or 5 poor performing regional airlines that take the bulk of the cancels.

By the way here are today’s cancels as of 1430 ET:
SkyWest 153
Republic 93
Endeavor 82
Compass 17
GoJet 6
Delta 2 (yep, great job)

Just so you know, Delta (not Southwest) is well ahead of the other majors in cancels when Connection flights are included.

BCEaglesCO757

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:18 pm

This used to be a great site. Took the last 3-4 years off and the only thing that's changed is the posters seem younger, more non-aviation employed 'aviation experts' and the kool-aid has gotten stronger amongst them...

BCEaglesCO757

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:19 pm

This used to be a great site. Took the last 3-4 years off and the only thing that's changed is the posters seem younger, more non-aviation employed 'aviation experts' and the kool-aid has gotten stronger amongst them...

ctrabs0114

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:55 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
How do I block this MCDU guy. His bias and vitriol ruins productive conversation...

Click on his profile link, click "Add Foe" and voila!

That said, MDW seems to fare worse when the weather gets worse in Chicago, at least from what these threads have taught me over the past couple of years. Or maybe I'm just being force-fed competing propaganda, I don't know. But, if the RONs aren't getting into MDW or ORD for whatever reason, that causes a cascading effect across any airline's network. And the same could be said about east-coast hubs (PHL, JFK, BWI, IAD, EWR, BOS, etc.) slowdowns/cancellations affecting other hubs (DFW/DAL, ORD/MDW, ATL, MSP, etc.) AND other spokes.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

PlanesNTrains

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:08 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
ODwyerPW wrote:

Click on his profile link, click "Add Foe" and voila!

That said, MDW seems to fare worse when the weather gets worse in Chicago, at least from what these threads have taught me over the past couple of years. Or maybe I'm just being force-fed competing propaganda, I don't know. But, if the RONs aren't getting into MDW or ORD for whatever reason, that causes a cascading effect across any airline's network. And the same could be said about east-coast hubs (PHL, JFK, BWI, IAD, EWR, BOS, etc.) slowdowns/cancellations affecting other hubs (DFW/DAL, ORD/MDW, ATL, MSP, etc.) AND other spokes.

Thanks - don’t know why I waited so long.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

mastyc

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:33 pm

I thought Chicago was supposed to be the windy city? Looks like a normal day in Oklahoma.

cleared2land

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:27 am

freakyrat wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
Huge winds expected for large portions of the Midwest and East Coast today. Not the best day for flying.
https://weather.com/storms/winter/video ... orm-quiana

Starting to see AA cancel numerous regionals out of CLT, DCA, and PHL.

AA cancelled all regional SBN flying Sunday because of high winds.

I flew AA from ORD to CLT on Sunday. It was the choppiest flight in a long time. Both airports had gusts to at least 50. Not surprised regionals got cancelled. I was on a 320 and it was bad.....an ERJ would be a gauranteed pucker factor of 10.

baqnav

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:10 am

Indeed, astonishing! In his previous comments they are dangerous because they do anything to save a second. Today they are wimps because some crews didn’t land because of questionable winds. Maybe flight ops at UA or ALPA could shed light on mcdu and his superior insight!
PlanesNTrains wrote:
mcdu wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Yeah, but your missing the fact that they were not from a consistent direction. They can’t use 22L for 260 winds (and maybe even 250, though MDW did not report 250) and then switch to 31C for 270 and 280 and then switch back when it moves more southerly. There was a fair amount of variation.

It was still under the max crosswind for operations contrary to the other poster report. WN has that airport basically all to itself and yet it still couldn’t operate their schedule. With the 30% OT performance on a daily basis WN doesn’t seem to mind running flights really late. What must happen for them to cancel?

Mr. United, you criticize them in one thread for not being safe enough, then in another thread for being too safe? I can only assume that United would say crosswinds-be-damned.
My opions are mine, not my employers

baqnav

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:17 am

I had heard windy city was a political reference of chicage vs an enviromental reference.
mastyc wrote:
I thought Chicago was supposed to be the windy city? Looks like a normal day in Oklahoma.

baqnav

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:20 am

Agree, like other sectors of our world the decline is rapid. Wish I would not have given my dollars for a lifetime membership.
BCEaglesCO757 wrote:

kiowa

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:16 pm

The runways at Midway are much shorter than the long runways at Chicago O’Hare. That makes landings much more sporting at Midway.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos