sonicruiser
Topic Author

RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Looks like EY is planning on getting back into the US after their fall out with AA, UA will be a much better partner for them. Looking forward to this!

https://onemileatatime.com/etihad-united-partnership/

tkoenig95

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:31 pm

I always wondered why their ORD route stuck around after the purge... Best of luck to the partnership!

Airlines0613

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:00 pm

This would be a great add! I hope they join Star Alliance in the near future. With this in mind, I can see AUH-SFO restarting, as well as a switch from JFK to EWR to enable more connection, if not a new flight to EWR. AUH-IAH would be a great add to replace the cancelled flight to DFW, to better serve the US and capture potential South American traffic.

dz09

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:19 pm

this would be great for united mileage plus members, especially if Etihad decides to start ewr-auh. It is such a hassle to transit through europe to get to the UAE.

enilria

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:36 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Looks like EY is planning on getting back into the US after their fall out with AA, UA will be a much better partner for them. Looking forward to this!

https://onemileatatime.com/etihad-united-partnership/

EY never left the USA. They fly to a number of cities.

TropicalSky

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:01 pm

So let me get this right....UA ties up with Eithad,AA with QATAR....So DAL is left outside looking in cause I don't foresee them and Emirates ever able to solve their differences

PlanesNTrains

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:34 pm

I can't keep up - so the US3 and the ME3 are friends?
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

TropicalSky

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:36 pm

How quickly things change in aviation

PlanesNTrains wrote:

CALMSP

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:40 pm

well, I'd say UA would be willing only b/c they probably do not see EY as a threat. They've never expanded to the likes of QR/EK and can offer just a little piece of what UA may be looking for.

airportlover

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
This would be a great add! I hope they join Star Alliance in the near future. With this in mind, I can see AUH-SFO restarting, as well as a switch from JFK to EWR to enable more connection, if not a new flight to EWR. AUH-IAH would be a great add to replace the cancelled flight to DFW, to better serve the US and capture potential South American traffic.

This is great news. EWR-AUH is definitely coming (assuming the news is true). If this happens, EWR will have 2 of 3 gulf carriers and TK is starting at EWR in the near future. Good news all around.

LondonXtreme

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:44 pm

I would like to see EY resuming SFO

jayunited

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:19 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:

If this rumor pans out it would be more like the US2 and ME2 are friends. DL isn't interesting in partnering with any of the ME carriers and EK is not teaming up with any of the US3.

IF UA partners with EY I can see the benefits to EY at ORD and EWR (if EY switches from JFK to EWR) but what does UA get out of all of this? Also for those saying they can see the resumption of SFO-AUH I question that because UA is starting SFO-DEL season service later this year. If that seasonal flight is successful I can see the flight becoming year around if this happens how does this benefit EY?

xwb777

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:24 pm

jayunited wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

If this rumor pans out it would be more like the US2 and ME2 are friends. DL isn't interesting in partnering with any of the ME carriers and EK is not teaming up with any of the US3.

IF UA partners with EY I can see the benefits to EY at ORD and EWR (if EY switches from JFK to EWR) but what does UA get out of all of this? Also for those saying they can see the resumption of SFO-AUH I question that because UA is starting SFO-DEL season service later this year. If that seasonal flight is successful I can see the flight becoming year around if this happens how does this benefit EY?

I can see Emirates and Delta benefiting a lot if they partner together.

smartplane

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:14 pm

TropicalSky wrote:
So let me get this right....UA ties up with Eithad,AA with QATAR....So DAL is left outside looking in cause I don't foresee them and Emirates ever able to solve their differences

More likely EK announces a decision to acquire B6, DL counters and acquires B6, then EK and DL announce a QF style JV. It's only business.

Plenty of scope for more airline brand rationalisations, to counter (or align) with the two air frame OEM's, and for now, three engine OEM's.

stl07

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:43 pm

"THEY'RE SUBSIDIZED; WE WOULD NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM"
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

ac33e

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:07 pm

This is so "We're refocusing to become a P2P carrier for AUH" of EY

YYZORD

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:11 pm

I mean EY has codeshare with AC, so a UA codeshare makes sense. However I think JFK would stay cause of B6, heck I wouldn't be surprised if they added BOS and FLL for more B6 connections.

OMAAbound

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:18 pm

Could someone confirm if EWR is A380 capable? I seem to think it’s not, if it’s the case I can’t see EY moving to EWR.

OMAA
Right hand seat of a 787. Also can be found eating sandwiches, drinking coffee and attempting to understand Chinese ATC!

scbriml

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:23 pm

If you can't beat them...
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

SCFlyer

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:25 pm

If this rumour does turn out to be true, I wonder what it would mean for EY's stakes in 9W and VA, where both have major JVs with DL.

I do wonder if the 9W/VA stakes will have to be sold off (taking into consideration the JVs both carriers have with DL) as part of the conditions of EY entering a JV with UA.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:30 pm

scbriml wrote:
If you can't beat them...

Why ya casting shade on EY? :-)
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

TSA125

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:31 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
I always wondered why their ORD route stuck around after the purge... Best of luck to the partnership!

ORD is one of EY's earliest US routes. Might even be #2 after JFK. And their load factors at ORD have almost consistently been very positive year in and year out.
No not that TSA.

luckyone

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:34 pm

Other than India, what benefit would a close tie-up with the ME3 provide to the US3? They obviously offer unprecedented access to India that will never be achievable via nonstops due to costs and distances. But beyond India the geographic benefits of the ME are lost on US passengers. East Asia is covered via their own networks and JVs from the West Coast, and they’re clearly not connecting anyone to Europe or Australia. Africa is quite the backtrack.

Airlines0613

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:37 pm

xwb777 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

I can see Emirates and Delta benefiting a lot if they partner together.

Not going to happen... DL has been the most vocal US airline stating they are against the ME3. Honestly, I doubt any of the ME3 would like to conduct business with DL, especially EK.

Besides that, AA also lacks a middle eastern partner as they have cancelled codeshares with QR and EY. This gives UA an upper hand in the market, if the rumor is true.

TSA125

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:37 pm

OMAAbound wrote:
Could someone confirm if EWR is A380 capable? I seem to think it’s not, if it’s the case I can’t see EY moving to EWR.

OMAA

No reason they can't have a 77W or even 789 at EWR. In fact, this is probably the sweet-spot for capacity in NYC they were looking for ever since they down-gauged the double-daily A380 at JFK.
No not that TSA.

jcwr56

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:01 am

For the operations at ORD, EY would still be at T5 for their ops, UA or not. Just no room at T1 for a 773.

SCFlyer

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:11 am

Airlines0613 wrote:

They'll need to get past SQ first, and considering the boardroom drama over at VA in Australia (where both have minority stakes), it would be pretty difficult. As SQ sees EY as 'a rival' for the "Kangaroo Route" traffic between AU and Europe.

IIRC, Star Alliance procedures for new members joining requires ALL full members to unanimously vote the new member in. E.g all full members have one vote, one veto. If one says no, then it's a no go.

This is opposed to the procedures for joining OW or ST where only the founder members have the veto.

airportlover

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:08 am

TSA125 wrote:
OMAAbound wrote:

OMAA

No reason they can't have a 77W or even 789 at EWR. In fact, this is probably the sweet-spot for capacity in NYC they were looking for ever since they down-gauged the double-daily A380 at JFK.

Exactly. EWR unfortunately isn’t A380-capable. However, that wouldn’t stop Etihad from entering EWR. They also would definitely maintain both EWR and JFK, most likely with a 77W at EWR. If EWR were A380-capable, EK would definitely be sending one there, at least once a day (but that’s off-topic).

aemoreira1981

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:10 am

I could see EWR being launched on a 3-class B789 as a route starter, possibly upgauging to a 3-class B77W, in addition to the A388 to JFK. IAD would also remain, eliminating the need for a West Coast return.

LH658

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:48 am

if it true, i can see IAH being a route. Though I mean UA covers 2 cities in India, and LH pretty much has the whole middle east cover in terms of major cities. AMM, CAI, BEY, DMM, DXB, BAH, IKA and etc. Then LH covers India with 4 cities as well. I think LH and UA, rather value it own Relationship, then let EY come in, plus EY is weak in general, though if EY steps in will steal alot of traffic that potentially goes on LH.

EChid

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:05 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I could see EWR being launched on a 3-class B789 as a route starter, possibly upgauging to a 3-class B77W, in addition to the A388 to JFK. IAD would also remain, eliminating the need for a West Coast return.

Exactly. One NYC airport couldn't support double daily 388s, but EWR and JFK capture very different markets - so there is definitely room there to start something like a 789 (and they've got plenty). Great connectivity options from there to the West Coast.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

OSL777FLYER

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:16 am

Could be a possible Star Alliance member in the future. EY has been struggling a little due to bad investments in other airlines. I do know that as a member of the SAS frequent flyer program, you can earn miles on EY.

Interesting times ahead.......... IF they do join an alliance, that can seriously hurt EK on the other hand.

Airlines0613

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:59 am

LH658 wrote:
if it true, i can see IAH being a route. Though I mean UA covers 2 cities in India, and LH pretty much has the whole middle east cover in terms of major cities. AMM, CAI, BEY, DMM, DXB, BAH, IKA and etc. Then LH covers India with 4 cities as well. I think LH and UA, rather value it own Relationship, then let EY come in, plus EY is weak in general, though if EY steps in will steal alot of traffic that potentially goes on LH.

LH and EY already codeshare heavily. Would be a great addition with UA. Could a potential JV between UA, EY, and LH be formed and be profitable for all three airlines.

Bonafide

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:05 am

Wait, Turkish Airlines is already a member of the Star Alliance and with the new IST airport is looking to expand. Why does UA need EY then?

LH658

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:21 am

Bonafide wrote:
Wait, Turkish Airlines is already a member of the Star Alliance and with the new IST airport is looking to expand. Why does UA need EY then?

TK and UA relationship isn't that friendly.

moyangmm

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:35 am

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:14 am

LH658 wrote:
Bonafide wrote:

Said who?

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:24 am

luckyone wrote:
Other than India, what benefit would a close tie-up with the ME3 provide to the US3? They obviously offer unprecedented access to India that will never be achievable via nonstops due to costs and distances. But beyond India the geographic benefits of the ME are lost on US passengers. East Asia is covered via their own networks and JVs from the West Coast, and they’re clearly not connecting anyone to Europe or Australia. Africa is quite the backtrack.

Delta and American generally speaking have a pitiful network in Asia and Africa, and on the rare occasion they do fly to a destination, it's so expensive that the average consumer gets priced out and takes the ME3 instead. Interestingly, United, which already had the best Asian network to begin with has probably figured out that working with the ME3 will be mutually beneficial for both EY and UA as UA will be able to connect people to a much larger network and at a much lower price than their competitors which prior to this were the ME3. Effectively, now UA will have one of the ME3 on their side instead of competing against them and in the grand scheme of things, is a pretty smart idea to grow their popularity with the US-Asia/Africa crowd by plugging a lot of holes that previously weren't available to UA customers and definitely not to DL/AA pax. It also works out great for EY since they are trying to regain the US market and partnering with one of the US3 will greatly increase their feed and help to restore profitability.

EChid

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:56 am

I hope SQ doesn't ruin this for us Star Alliance elites. Etihad is my favourite of the ME3, I'd really like to see them become an integral part of the network.

And if DL is so jealous, there are other airlines besides the ME3 in the Middle East that would be easy to bring into the fold. MEA is already theoretically a partner, but there's Royal Jordanian, Oman, and Gulf Air to add to the list too. Lots of good airlines to help them gain connectivity to secondary cities in the Middle East, which is probably more useful than trying to beat EK in DXB.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

Swadian

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:00 am

sonicruiser wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Delta and American generally speaking have a pitiful network in Asia and Africa, and on the rare occasion they do fly to a destination, it's so expensive that the average consumer gets priced out and takes the ME3 instead. Interestingly, United, which already had the best Asian network to begin with has probably figured out that working with the ME3 will be mutually beneficial for both EY and UA as UA will be able to connect people to a much larger network and at a much lower price than their competitors which prior to this were the ME3. Effectively, now UA will have one of the ME3 on their side instead of competing against them and in the grand scheme of things, is a pretty smart idea to grow their popularity with the US-Asia/Africa crowd by plugging a lot of holes that previously weren't available to UA customers and definitely not to DL/AA pax. It also works out great for EY since they are trying to regain the US market and partnering with one of the US3 will greatly increase their feed and help to restore profitability.

Fares to Asia are high and consumers are getting priced out? What a load of rubbish. Fares to Asia are dictated by the price-dumping subsided Chinese carriers, who have made flights to Asia cheaper than ever before. ME3 has no piece of the pie. Even ME3 can't price out CN4, especially when CN4 has a more direct route across the Pacific and way bigger home market.

Armodeen

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:06 am

From a personal standpoint I would be disappointed if this is true. I have had a number of good experiences on EY booked with AA miles over the years based upon their very generous award chart from Europe.

Ah well easy come easy go, at least I did A380 F already!

QuawerAir

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:29 am

I've always thought Etihad is more SkyTeam oriented airline and thus expected EY to partner with DL (however Delta has been the loudest one in the US3 vs. ME3 thing). To my surprise, Etihad codeshares with several Star Alliance members.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:12 am

Swadian wrote:
Fares to Asia are high and consumers are getting priced out? What a load of rubbish. Fares to Asia are dictated by the price-dumping subsided Chinese carriers, who have made flights to Asia cheaper than ever before. ME3 has no piece of the pie. Even ME3 can't price out CN4, especially when CN4 has a more direct route across the Pacific and way bigger home market.

You realize Asia is a hell of a lot bigger than just China/Japan/Korea/Taiwan/Singapore right? There are bucketloads of places neither the US3 nor the Chinese carriers fly. And for the record, if you want to talk about China fares on the US3, there is no way on earth that fares that astronomically high are being dictated by the Chinese carriers, which is why the US3 are so weak in China to begin with. And these Chinese carriers are completely useless for somebody that isn't flying to the Pacific region of Asia, which is true for a lot of people.

Mortyman

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:24 am

Airlines0613 wrote:

How would the members that are already in Star Alliance feel about that ? Does Star Alliance really need EY ? The alliance seem to be more than well covered around the world.

devmapper

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:06 am

Mortyman wrote:
How would the members that are already in Star Alliance feel about that ? Does Star Alliance really need EY ? The alliance seem to be more than well covered around the world.

Considering EY is propping up 9W, I think AI would probably veto EY joining *A, unless the GoI decides to do something monumentally stupid.

readytotaxi

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:48 am

"A friend in need is a friend we can do a deal with."
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

CaliguyNYC

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:55 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
I've always thought Etihad is more SkyTeam oriented airline and thus expected EY to partner with DL (however Delta has been the loudest one in the US3 vs. ME3 thing). To my surprise, Etihad codeshares with several Star Alliance members.

EY has a very close relationship with AF/KL (I thought). So unclear why they would gravitate to UA. On the US routes, DL is working very closely with Jet. So in essence, EY has DL just through Jet

bevan7

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:00 pm

Oh I hope Etihad join Star. I'm Star Alliance Gold and flew Etihad today. Great on board product and the whole flight I was thinking how cool it would be if they joined Star

DL747400

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:07 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Delta and American generally speaking have a pitiful network in Asia and Africa......

So DL serving multiple African destinations on their own metal, plus codesharing with their JV partners AF/KL/VS to dozens more translates to a pitiful African network? Yeah, OK :roll:
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

enilria

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:19 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
LH658 wrote:
Bonafide wrote:

Said who?

From what I've heard, the US3 wanted VERY much to make it the ME4 with TK included because from the US3 perspective the "real" issues are the same: all 4 carriers were dominating the Middle East and Asia market with rapid growth. Of course, they really had not even a shadow of a case against TK as they are a public company and thus it didn't fit the specious arguments that were concocted against the ME3, but that didn't mean they were any happier with TK. So UA had a silent war with TK that distanced them from their alliance partner. It's very similar to QR with AA, while AA/BA are JV partners and BA/QR are tied together by an ownership stake.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos