Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 10300
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:23 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
I've always thought Etihad is more SkyTeam oriented airline and thus expected EY to partner with DL (however Delta has been the loudest one in the US3 vs. ME3 thing). To my surprise, Etihad codeshares with several Star Alliance members.


EY has a very close relationship with AF/KL (I thought). So unclear why they would gravitate to UA. On the US routes, DL is working very closely with Jet. So in essence, EY has DL just through Jet

DL destabilized their Indian partner through the trade mess with the ME3 because it pulled the rug out from under Jet Airways.

To summarize, DL said they can't compete with the ME3 and their affiliated carriers because they are subsidized. Then to "solve" the problem they formed an alliance with one of the affiliated carriers they said they were subsidizing. Then as a result of some success in their trade dispute argument, EY cracked down on their financial losses, causing DL's new partner in their quest against the ME3's India dominance to be near death, thereby damaging their attempt to find a way to compete with the ME3 to India. Irony???

I think at this point EY would take a partnership with anybody.
 
MIAFLLPBIFlyer
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:25 pm

enilria wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
LH658 wrote:

TK and UA relationship isn't that friendly.


Said who?

From what I've heard, the US3 wanted VERY much to make it the ME4 with TK included because from the US3 perspective the "real" issues are the same: all 4 carriers were dominating the Middle East and Asia market with rapid growth. Of course, they really had not even a shadow of a case against TK as they are a public company and thus it didn't fit the specious arguments that were concocted against the ME3, but that didn't mean they were any happier with TK. So UA had a silent war with TK that distanced them from their alliance partner. It's very similar to QR with AA, while AA/BA are JV partners and BA/QR are tied together by an ownership stake.


The Indian government is doing its best to curtail TK growth and favor QR over EK and EY when it comes to traffic in and out of India which is a big big part of this situation. Worth noting thanks to the Indian government's linking of politics to almost any aviation agreement, QR has an advantage over EK and EY, while blowing TK away in that market.
 
hohd
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:28 pm

If I was AI I would veto EY 's entry into Star. While EY is not strong in the US it is still a competitor as it flies to several cities in India. Also I don't see what LH will get out of letting EY into Star, as it is they interline with EY for the few connections/cities they offer.
 
luckyone
Posts: 3275
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:34 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Other than India, what benefit would a close tie-up with the ME3 provide to the US3? They obviously offer unprecedented access to India that will never be achievable via nonstops due to costs and distances. But beyond India the geographic benefits of the ME are lost on US passengers. East Asia is covered via their own networks and JVs from the West Coast, and they’re clearly not connecting anyone to Europe or Australia. Africa is quite the backtrack.


Delta and American generally speaking have a pitiful network in Asia and Africa, and on the rare occasion they do fly to a destination, it's so expensive that the average consumer gets priced out and takes the ME3 instead. Interestingly, United, which already had the best Asian network to begin with has probably figured out that working with the ME3 will be mutually beneficial for both EY and UA as UA will be able to connect people to a much larger network and at a much lower price than their competitors which prior to this were the ME3. Effectively, now UA will have one of the ME3 on their side instead of competing against them and in the grand scheme of things, is a pretty smart idea to grow their popularity with the US-Asia/Africa crowd by plugging a lot of holes that previously weren't available to UA customers and definitely not to DL/AA pax. It also works out great for EY since they are trying to regain the US market and partnering with one of the US3 will greatly increase their feed and help to restore profitability.

Overall this is a very interesting post, for a few reasons:
1. Delta is the ONLY US major flying to Africa. American doesn't fly to Africa at all and never has and you completely left out UA in that count which currently does not fly to Africa either. By my best count, Delta flies to four African destinations, Etihad 8 (10 if you include the Seychelles). EY isn't going to do much for UA with regards to Africa, and their partners offer much better coverage through Europe. Delta's partners AF and KL also cover Africa quite well. Emirates serves Africa quite well, as does TK.
2. Both Delta and AA have robust access to East Asia on their own and through their partners. And UA definitely does, and they move more seats, but they also have massive hubs at the two major West Coast gateways for Asia traffic. Meanwhile, fares to East Asia are dirt cheap from most major cities. The ME3 aren't going to entice many people to add several hours to their journey. The only Asian benefit they offer is India, which I already mentioned.
3. ME3 margins are terrible (seriously, grocery stores have a higher profit margin), which means that while overall they may be doing advantageous things for their home economies, in terms of moving people, they are competing on price, and thus aren't making much money, if any doing it. Nobody is going to be tying up closely with that. For an example, look at Qantas, who has an agreement with EK, but resumed their traditional services in lieu of Dubai.
 
MIAFLLPBIFlyer
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:40 pm

hohd wrote:
If I was AI I would veto EY 's entry into Star. While EY is not strong in the US it is still a competitor as it flies to several cities in India. Also I don't see what LH will get out of letting EY into Star, as it is they interline with EY for the few connections/cities they offer.


AI and other Indian carriers are already getting the benefit of a government they control not giving EK and EY additional city pairs while letting QR do whatever they want in India. It would be even more punitive if AI did this, but my guess is that they will try.
 
FSDan
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:56 pm

If the rumors are true, I wonder what the extent of the cooperation would be? Would any codeshare just cover the Middle East and/or East Africa? Seems like codesharing to India could wind up being tricky since UA would want to protect and prioritize their own flights to DEL and BOM, and for other cities in India would need to figure out the best way to split traffic between LH, AI, and EY.

I agree this would make sense on the U.S. end with EY serving UA hubs + JFK (enough O&D traffic on its own).
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 10300
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:05 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
enilria wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Said who?

From what I've heard, the US3 wanted VERY much to make it the ME4 with TK included because from the US3 perspective the "real" issues are the same: all 4 carriers were dominating the Middle East and Asia market with rapid growth. Of course, they really had not even a shadow of a case against TK as they are a public company and thus it didn't fit the specious arguments that were concocted against the ME3, but that didn't mean they were any happier with TK. So UA had a silent war with TK that distanced them from their alliance partner. It's very similar to QR with AA, while AA/BA are JV partners and BA/QR are tied together by an ownership stake.


The Indian government is doing its best to curtail TK growth and favor QR over EK and EY when it comes to traffic in and out of India which is a big big part of this situation. Worth noting thanks to the Indian government's linking of politics to almost any aviation agreement, QR has an advantage over EK and EY, while blowing TK away in that market.

And that's interesting because with the air blockade in Qatar the Indian market is now the blood in its veins. I'm sure QR's desperation is somehow connected to India's liberal treatment.
 
IADCA
Posts: 2194
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:10 pm

smartplane wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:
So let me get this right....UA ties up with Eithad,AA with QATAR....So DAL is left outside looking in cause I don't foresee them and Emirates ever able to solve their differences

More likely EK announces a decision to acquire B6, DL counters and acquires B6, then EK and DL announce a QF style JV. It's only business.

Plenty of scope for more airline brand rationalisations, to counter (or align) with the two air frame OEM's, and for now, three engine OEM's.


The first step of what you propose is illegal, so the entire scenario is impossible. US law bars foreign ownership of a US carrier from exceeding 25%.
 
VTORD
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:34 pm

enilria wrote:
DL destabilized their Indian partner through the trade mess with the ME3 because it pulled the rug out from under Jet Airways.

To summarize, DL said they can't compete with the ME3 and their affiliated carriers because they are subsidized. Then to "solve" the problem they formed an alliance with one of the affiliated carriers they said they were subsidizing. Then as a result of some success in their trade dispute argument, EY cracked down on their financial losses, causing DL's new partner in their quest against the ME3's India dominance to be near death, thereby damaging their attempt to find a way to compete with the ME3 to India. Irony???

I think at this point EY would take a partnership with anybody.

Problems at Jet Airways had nothing to do with either EY not pumping money or DL destabilizing them in anyway. It had everything to do with the mercurial way in which it's promoter Naresh Goyal runs the show. Plus competition from Indigo. Jet is basically competing with as a FSC with a LLC at LLC prices in the domestic Indian market. In the current scenario of Jet being bailed out, EY is asking for it's pound of flesh before pumping more money in to 9W. That's why NG is being arm twisted into becoming a minority shareholder.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
The Indian government is doing its best to curtail TK growth and favor QR over EK and EY when it comes to traffic in and out of India which is a big big part of this situation. Worth noting thanks to the Indian government's linking of politics to almost any aviation agreement, QR has an advantage over EK and EY, while blowing TK away in that market.


Not accurate. The Indian bilateral to both DXB and AUH is either maxed out or near about. DXB traffic rights are not being expanded because Indian carriers are not getting decent slots at DXB. And TK is not getting more bilaterals because Turkey has voted against Indian interests at the UN at times. But I am not sure why you are suggesting that QR has an advantage because the GoI favors Qatar. Do you have a source for this or is it speculation?
 
winginit
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:51 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Delta and American generally speaking have a pitiful network in Asia and Africa


Africa I get, but can you please quantify and contextualize the Asia piece? Pitiful network compared to who and using what metric?

sonicruiser wrote:
and on the rare occasion they do fly to a destination, it's so expensive that the average consumer gets priced out and takes the ME3 instead.


Again, what markets are you referring to? Specifically.

sonicruiser wrote:
Interestingly, United, which already had the best Asian network to begin with has probably figured out that working with the ME3 will be mutually beneficial for both EY and UA as UA will be able to connect people to a much larger network and at a much lower price than their competitors which prior to this were the ME3. Effectively, now UA will have one of the ME3 on their side instead of competing against them and in the grand scheme of things, is a pretty smart idea to grow their popularity with the US-Asia/Africa crowd by plugging a lot of holes that previously weren't available to UA customers and definitely not to DL/AA pax.


So UA have cracked the code by treating the ME3 exactly how AA treated the ME3 back in 2013? You'll recall at that point AA had codeshare relationships with QR and EY and robust interline with EK. They abandoned that strategy, so I'm not sure what UA has figured out here that AA previously tried and clearly abandoned.
 
Bonafide
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:38 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:15 pm

Again, it makes no sense. What can EY offer that TK cant. Especially with the sky being the limit with regards to TKs expansion plans. If this is true, what would stop TK from cozying up with DL and forming a JV with the struggles of 9w in response. With the new IST airport, I wouldn't be surprised if DL is the first US3 to it given the circumstances.
 
MIAFLLPBIFlyer
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:38 pm

VTORD wrote:
enilria wrote:
DL destabilized their Indian partner through the trade mess with the ME3 because it pulled the rug out from under Jet Airways.

To summarize, DL said they can't compete with the ME3 and their affiliated carriers because they are subsidized. Then to "solve" the problem they formed an alliance with one of the affiliated carriers they said they were subsidizing. Then as a result of some success in their trade dispute argument, EY cracked down on their financial losses, causing DL's new partner in their quest against the ME3's India dominance to be near death, thereby damaging their attempt to find a way to compete with the ME3 to India. Irony???

I think at this point EY would take a partnership with anybody.

Problems at Jet Airways had nothing to do with either EY not pumping money or DL destabilizing them in anyway. It had everything to do with the mercurial way in which it's promoter Naresh Goyal runs the show. Plus competition from Indigo. Jet is basically competing with as a FSC with a LLC at LLC prices in the domestic Indian market. In the current scenario of Jet being bailed out, EY is asking for it's pound of flesh before pumping more money in to 9W. That's why NG is being arm twisted into becoming a minority shareholder.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
The Indian government is doing its best to curtail TK growth and favor QR over EK and EY when it comes to traffic in and out of India which is a big big part of this situation. Worth noting thanks to the Indian government's linking of politics to almost any aviation agreement, QR has an advantage over EK and EY, while blowing TK away in that market.



Not accurate. The Indian bilateral to both DXB and AUH is either maxed out or near about. DXB traffic rights are not being expanded because Indian carriers are not getting decent slots at DXB. And TK is not getting more bilaterals because Turkey has voted against Indian interests at the UN at times. But I am not sure why you are suggesting that QR has an advantage because the GoI favors Qatar. Do you have a source for this or is it speculation?



It's speculation but with Turkey it is based on politics - you even admit why TK isn't getting expanded Indian frequencies. That's really unfortunate because Indian consumers as well as Indian diaspora abraod are hurt by the lack of access from one of the few airlines that actually could create critical mass and a competitive environment on routes from the west to Indian. On the UAE issue I see both sides but the fact remains EK and EY believe they are at a disadvantage vis a vis QR and are unhappy Indian carriers are being allowed to link UAE points with several Indian cities they do not have access too currently...
 
CaliguyNYC
Posts: 1244
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:59 am

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
VTORD wrote:
enilria wrote:
DL destabilized their Indian partner through the trade mess with the ME3 because it pulled the rug out from under Jet Airways.

To summarize, DL said they can't compete with the ME3 and their affiliated carriers because they are subsidized. Then to "solve" the problem they formed an alliance with one of the affiliated carriers they said they were subsidizing. Then as a result of some success in their trade dispute argument, EY cracked down on their financial losses, causing DL's new partner in their quest against the ME3's India dominance to be near death, thereby damaging their attempt to find a way to compete with the ME3 to India. Irony???

I think at this point EY would take a partnership with anybody.

Problems at Jet Airways had nothing to do with either EY not pumping money or DL destabilizing them in anyway. It had everything to do with the mercurial way in which it's promoter Naresh Goyal runs the show. Plus competition from Indigo. Jet is basically competing with as a FSC with a LLC at LLC prices in the domestic Indian market. In the current scenario of Jet being bailed out, EY is asking for it's pound of flesh before pumping more money in to 9W. That's why NG is being arm twisted into becoming a minority shareholder.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
The Indian government is doing its best to curtail TK growth and favor QR over EK and EY when it comes to traffic in and out of India which is a big big part of this situation. Worth noting thanks to the Indian government's linking of politics to almost any aviation agreement, QR has an advantage over EK and EY, while blowing TK away in that market.



Not accurate. The Indian bilateral to both DXB and AUH is either maxed out or near about. DXB traffic rights are not being expanded because Indian carriers are not getting decent slots at DXB. And TK is not getting more bilaterals because Turkey has voted against Indian interests at the UN at times. But I am not sure why you are suggesting that QR has an advantage because the GoI favors Qatar. Do you have a source for this or is it speculation?



It's speculation but with Turkey it is based on politics - you even admit why TK isn't getting expanded Indian frequencies. That's really unfortunate because Indian consumers as well as Indian diaspora abraod are hurt by the lack of access from one of the few airlines that actually could create critical mass and a competitive environment on routes from the west to Indian. On the UAE issue I see both sides but the fact remains EK and EY believe they are at a disadvantage vis a vis QR and are unhappy Indian carriers are being allowed to link UAE points with several Indian cities they do not have access too currently...


Huh? The ME4 are not victims here. UAE has by far the most generous access to India and both EY and EK built their networks off the backs of Indian traffic. Indian consumers have tons of one stop choices (they seriously lack nonstop choices). That said, India has a lot more trade with the UAE than just aviation. It is a mutual benefit plus the UAE has been pretty loyal to India / Indian workers and favors India quite a bit - again win win. Turkey on the other hand, chooses to go against India because of some perceived attachment Turkey has to the past (like 1500s). While I think India needs to do a better job in helping develop Indian carriers (by holding back some of the most aggressive ME competition), the one country I see NO benefit in increasing the bilateral is Turkey - they don’t support Inida, they don’t employ Indian workers, they don’t invest in india, tourist flows are non existent and they don’t XXX..list goes on.
 
Airlines0613
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:06 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:05 am

winginit wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
Delta and American generally speaking have a pitiful network in Asia and Africa


Africa I get, but can you please quantify and contextualize the Asia piece? Pitiful network compared to who and using what metric?


Both DL and AA combined Asian network make a pale comparison towards UA. They’re much larger thanks to SFO.
 
VTORD
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:24 am

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:

It's speculation but with Turkey it is based on politics - you even admit why TK isn't getting expanded Indian frequencies. That's really unfortunate because Indian consumers as well as Indian diaspora abraod are hurt by the lack of access from one of the few airlines that actually could create critical mass and a competitive environment on routes from the west to Indian. On the UAE issue I see both sides but the fact remains EK and EY believe they are at a disadvantage vis a vis QR and are unhappy Indian carriers are being allowed to link UAE points with several Indian cities they do not have access too currently...

Agreed with you first statement. So won't argue that. But....
EK has already created that critical mass long before TK did. EK/EY have some of the highest seat allotments to/from India with multiple stations supporting multiple frequencies! EK in fact was at the receiving end of one of the biggest largess from the GoI a few years ago (I believe 2009 running up to 2013 incrementally but will have to verify this). DXB, AUH, SHJ and RAK are in the same country but each city has a different bilateral with India. That works fine and dandy for them when there are only a 2 airlines max from UAE side but the Indian side of the bilateral is split in to AI, 9W, 6E and SG.

Now let's talk about connectivity to the west. (I am using USA as an example EU/OZ/Africa can be researched)

EK existing connections via DXB:
JFK/EWR/BOS/MCO/FLL/DFW/IAH/SFO/ORD/LAX/SEA/IAD - BOM/DEL/AMD/MAA/BLR/CCU/HYD/COK/TRV (most of these if not all are multiple dailies)

EY existing connections via AUH: (keep in mind, they have cut back on US stations due their own financial problems well discussed on ANet)
LAX/JFK/ORD/IAD - AMD/BOM/BLR/MAA/TRV/COK/HYD/CCU/CCJ

QR existing connections via DOH:
BOS/PHL/IAD/ORD/JFK/DFW/IAH/ATL/LAX - BOM/DEL/BLR/MAA/NAG/CCU/COK/TRV/AMD/GOI

AI existing connectivity from (one-stop from many Indian stations)
DEL - JFK/ORD/IAD/SFO - SFO 9 x Weekly
BOM - EWR/JFK

9W/DL/KL/AF/VS via AMS/CDG/LHR:
BOM/DEL/BLR/MAA - Pretty much any US city to which either KL/AF/VS fly

I didn't bother to look into SQ/CX which have substantial presence in India too. So, begs the question, what disadvantage are EK/EY talking about when they connect to the most number of cities in India? And the ME3 have pretty much mirrored networks into India so how does that put QR at a more favorable position v EK/EY?
 
LH658
Posts: 1217
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:36 am

Gulf Air will be a nice partnership, BAH and DMM are close, can capture both traffic. Plus, Gulf Air has a nice network in India, as well. Gulf Air isn't a big threat as the ME4. Gulf Air doesn't fly to the US, but maybe UA can operate flight, IAH, ORD, IAD, EWR - BAH connect to traffic in the Middle East, and South Asia.
 
N292UX
Posts: 584
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:16 am

I'm sure there's gonna be a bunch of people that are going to start saying that UA will launch AUH from either EWR or IAD now. Don't expect that to happen anytime soon, even if this happens. I do think EY would start flying to EWR, though.
 
devmapper
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:40 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
AI and other Indian carriers are already getting the benefit of a government they control not giving EK and EY additional city pairs while letting QR do whatever they want in India. It would be even more punitive if AI did this, but my guess is that they will try.


I wish AI had any control over the GoI, that would mean they would not end up being on the hook for so many of the GoI's boneheaded moves. I cannot say the same for 9W though. But considering the challenges 9W has been facing, they are probably not immediately concerned about ME3 competition.

As lightsaber has pointed out many times in the Indian aviation topics, bilaterals are not just restricted to airline seat entitlements or ports of call, they are called trade bilaterals for a reason. Qatar is a major supplier of CNG for India, in addition to driving some investments in the energy sector, so there are some benefits that India derives from Qatar. Having said that, India has also been quite cosy with the Abu Dhabi emirate, and any recent moves on the aviation front have been carefully measured to avoid hurting EY's options. As proxies for the two major powers in the Islamic world, India has to balance its international relationships with both UAE and Qatar to derive maximum value for its citizens.

The Dubai emirate isn't in a position to drive investments in India, and so the GoI is quite happy with status quo.
 
TSA125
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:50 am

DL747400 wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
Delta and American generally speaking have a pitiful network in Asia and Africa......


So DL serving multiple African destinations on their own metal, plus codesharing with their JV partners AF/KL/VS to dozens more translates to a pitiful African network? Yeah, OK :roll:


Pretty sure DL is the only US3 carrier at JNB, LOS, DSS, and ACC.
No not that TSA.
 
sonicruiser
Topic Author
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:31 am

TSA125 wrote:
DL747400 wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
Delta and American generally speaking have a pitiful network in Asia and Africa......


So DL serving multiple African destinations on their own metal, plus codesharing with their JV partners AF/KL/VS to dozens more translates to a pitiful African network? Yeah, OK :roll:


Pretty sure DL is the only US3 carrier at JNB, LOS, DSS, and ACC.


Yeah, and what about AA? Zero. DL's Asia presence is laughable even compared to AA.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style
 
Airlines0613
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:06 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:22 am

sonicruiser wrote:
TSA125 wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

So DL serving multiple African destinations on their own metal, plus codesharing with their JV partners AF/KL/VS to dozens more translates to a pitiful African network? Yeah, OK :roll:


Pretty sure DL is the only US3 carrier at JNB, LOS, DSS, and ACC.


Yeah, and what about AA? Zero. DL's Asia presence is laughable even compared to AA.


If you include JVs, AA and UA have way better networks for Africa and Asian than DL. Particularly UA with LH and NH, where LH is now the largest airline in Europe with a vast network to Africa and NH, being one of the largest airlines in Asia, providing a significant network. Even AA is potentially better placed with IAG and JAL.

DL is widely known in Europe due to their large transatlantic network that outsized UA and AA, but UA dominates the Pacific, no questions asked.
 
User avatar
terrificturk
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:44 am

Makes a lot of sense, since EY is already partnering with LH in Europe... looks like a Star Alliance membership is the logical next step. Since Star also has Thai and SIA in its ranks, I dont think that TK and EY would be much of a problem.
 
EChid
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:37 pm

terrificturk wrote:
Makes a lot of sense, since EY is already partnering with LH in Europe... looks like a Star Alliance membership is the logical next step. Since Star also has Thai and SIA in its ranks, I dont think that TK and EY would be much of a problem.

SQ, TG, OZ, NH, BR, and CA. That's plenty in Asia alone that are in competition with each other but all made it into Star Alliance. TK and EY would be somewhat minor by comparison.
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:33 am

SQ and EY don't get along in the VA boardroom, and also SQ sees EY as a rival on the "Kangaroo Route".

I can't see SQ letting EY join Star Alliance for similar/same reasons AI won't let EY join. EY has no choice but put the VA and 9W stakes up for sale and sold off before SQ and AI let EY in.
 
sonicruiser
Topic Author
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:34 am

SCFlyer wrote:
SQ and EY don't get along in the VA boardroom, and also SQ sees EY as a rival on the "Kangaroo Route".

I can't see SQ letting EY join Star Alliance for similar/same reasons AI won't let EY join. EY has no choice but put the VA and 9W stakes up for sale and sold off before SQ and AI let EY in.


Don't know if I missed something, but what's stopping EY and UA from partnering outside an alliance? When EY and AA partnered, they didn't need an alliance to do it.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style
 
downdata
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:43 am

sonicruiser wrote:
TSA125 wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

So DL serving multiple African destinations on their own metal, plus codesharing with their JV partners AF/KL/VS to dozens more translates to a pitiful African network? Yeah, OK :roll:


Pretty sure DL is the only US3 carrier at JNB, LOS, DSS, and ACC.


Yeah, and what about AA? Zero. DL's Asia presence is laughable even compared to AA.


Skyteam has a larger presense than OW and arguably Star in Asia
 
User avatar
drerx7
Posts: 4411
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2000 12:19 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:21 am

downdata wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
TSA125 wrote:

Pretty sure DL is the only US3 carrier at JNB, LOS, DSS, and ACC.


Yeah, and what about AA? Zero. DL's Asia presence is laughable even compared to AA.


Skyteam has a larger presense than OW and arguably Star in Asia

Larger presence then Star? How? Star has Air China. ANA, Singapore, Asiana, Shenzen, and Thai...
HOUSTON, TEXAS
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1872
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:52 am

drerx7 wrote:
downdata wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Yeah, and what about AA? Zero. DL's Asia presence is laughable even compared to AA.


Skyteam has a larger presense than OW and arguably Star in Asia

Larger presence then Star? How? Star has Air China. ANA, Singapore, Asiana, Shenzen, and Thai...

Don't forget SQ and BR which is also in the same region. However I know sonicruiser will argue that Skyteam has MU, MF, KE, CI, VN & GA. Without CZ, Skyteam will have a similar presence in Greater China and Southeast Asia however disadvantaged in Japan, Thailand and of course Singapore.

Michael
 
hohd
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:29 pm

UA will benefit with an alliance/codeshare with EY and not with TK which offers competitive fares to many points in Europe and to BOM/DEL. For a while TK's fares to BOM and DEL were ridiculously low but now China carriers have a lower price point. UA relationship with TK is at an arms length and it will be that way for a long time.
 
unitedewr737
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:58 am

Re: RUMOR: EY to launch partnership with UA

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:58 pm

Does anyone have an update on this? I know recently they added a bunch of award availability on AA (as in booking Etihad flights with AA miles) for a couple months, so don’t know exactly what that means for this proposed Star Alliance entry.

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos