IPFreely
Topic Author

What's Up with Endeavor Air this week?

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:50 am

Operational performance at Endeavor this week:

Sunday 59 cancellations
Monday 90 cancellations and 266 delays, many significant (i.e. 3-6 hours or more)
Tuesday 3 cancellations

I get that Endeavor has never been a good performer but even so, it's unusual to see performance go up and down like a yo-yo where about 50% of the flights operate on time one day to reliable operation the very next day.

Is there a labor action at Endeavor that got resolved? Weather issues that affected Endeavor more than any other airline at the same airports? Endeavor's turn to take cancellations and protect mainline performance statistics? Something else at play here?

BAINY3

Re: What's Up with Endeavor Air this week?

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:58 am

Probably the last one. Their hubs have had a lot of bad weather lately.

Super80Fan

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:12 am

Weather plus Delta is quick to cancel Endeavor operated flights to save mainline flights.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

United857

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:26 am

Absolutely horrible weather in NYC on Sunday (heavy rain) and Monday (extreme winds) led to the cancellations.

Winds were steady around 30 knots gusting into the 40's from 280/290 for all three airports starting Sunday evening, which was beyond the crosswind limit of most aircraft. This left LGA in a single runway operation for both departures and landings on runway 31 instead of departing on the crosswind runway (runway 22 in this case) and landing on the into-the-wind runway (runway 31), which is what they do under normal operations. EWR was also forced to run both departures AND arrivals on the short 6700ft runway 29 because the crosswind was also out of limits for most aircraft on the primary 11,000ft departures runway 4L/22R and primary 10,000ft arrivals runway 4R/22L.

JFK was the only airport less affected because they only ever use 1 set of parallel runways at a single time due to airspace conflicts with LGA/EWR/TEB and they just stuck to their normal runway 31 traffic pattern (31L for departures and 31R for arrivals) for the entire day instead of moving it around for noise purposes.
A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A346 A388 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B748 B752 B764 B772 B77L B77W B788 CRJ2 E145 E17S E190 MD88 MD90
AA AC B6 CA CX CZ DL EK FM HU KA LH LX MU NH TK UA US

PlanesNTrains

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:31 am

IPFreely wrote:
Operational performance at Endeavor this week:

Sunday 59 cancellations
Monday 90 cancellations and 266 delays, many significant (i.e. 3-6 hours or more)
Tuesday 3 cancellations

I get that Endeavor has never been a good performer but even so, it's unusual to see performance go up and down like a yo-yo where about 50% of the flights operate on time one day to reliable operation the very next day.

Is there a labor action at Endeavor that got resolved? Weather issues that affected Endeavor more than any other airline at the same airports? Endeavor's turn to take cancellations and protect mainline performance statistics? Something else at play here?

I think this was addressed in the Southwest thread where you shared cancellations for a variety of regionals and the consensus was that weather in many cities sucked and that the mainline carriers made the regionals take the hit.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

IPFreely
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:00 am

Pretty impressive recovery. After cancelling over 10% of flights and significantly delaying even more, I would expect a lot of planes and crews to be out of position for a re-start. Maybe they just cancelled a lot of out-and-back flights so they could be in position to start Tuesday as if Sunday and Monday never happened.

32andBelow

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:26 am

I wonder how the contracts are written to pay the regionals when a mainline forces a cancellation due to edict times.

AirKevin

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:35 pm

United857 wrote:
EWR was also forced to run both departures AND arrivals on the short 6700ft runway 29 because the crosswind was also out of limits for most aircraft on the primary 11,000ft departures runway 4L/22R and primary 10,000ft arrivals runway 4R/22L.

How did that work for long-haul flights. I'm guessing 6,700 feet isn't long enough for planes that are doing long-haul flights.
Captain Kevin

IPFreely
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:50 am

Since last week I've been watching Endeavor and the yo-yo continues.

Sunday: 94 cancellations, 53 delays
Monday: 74 cancellations, 212 delays
Tuesday: 2 cancellations, 94 delays

It seems almost impossible that an airline could perform so miserably for two days without getting planes out of position and crews out of position and duty time. Which raises the question -- how do they go from meltdown to normal operations in one day? The only time you see this from other airlines is when they have some type of labor action going on.

adtall

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:17 am

IPFreely wrote:
Since last week I've been watching Endeavor and the yo-yo continues.

Sunday: 94 cancellations, 53 delays
Monday: 74 cancellations, 212 delays
Tuesday: 2 cancellations, 94 delays

It seems almost impossible that an airline could perform so miserably for two days without getting planes out of position and crews out of position and duty time. Which raises the question -- how do they go from meltdown to normal operations in one day? The only time you see this from other airlines is when they have some type of labor action going on.

You did see the weather in ATL on Sunday (tornadic) and the northeast (issuing weather waivers) on Monday? Probably planned some cancels to be able to get up and running today.

IPFreely
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:24 am

adtall wrote:
You did see the weather in ATL on Sunday (tornadic) and the northeast (issuing weather waivers) on Monday? Probably planned some cancels to be able to get up and running today.

The biggest airline in ATL cancelled 7 flights on Sunday. So weather does not explain why a much smaller airline like Endeavor cancelled 94 flights on the same day.

717atOGG

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:17 am

IPFreely wrote:
adtall wrote:

The biggest airline in ATL cancelled 7 flights on Sunday. So weather does not explain why a much smaller airline like Endeavor cancelled 94 flights on the same day.

Airlines cancel regional flights first whenever things go sideways at a hub, so they can minimize disruption to passengers. It's really not an issue that's unique to Delta/Endeavor.
Long live the Boeing 757!

IPFreely
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:09 pm

717atOGG wrote:
Airlines cancel regional flights first whenever things go sideways at a hub, so they can minimize disruption to passengers. It's really not an issue that's unique to Delta/Endeavor.

That’s understood but look at Delta’s regional cancellations from Monday:

Republic 77
Endeavor 74
SkyWest 48 (all carriers)
GoJet 4
Compass 0

The all operate in the same network but lately just one of the five in meltdown mode — and only on select days. It seems like something unique is going on at Endeavor.

DL747400

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:21 pm

IPFreely wrote:
It seems like something unique is going on at Endeavor.

FAKE NEWS ALERT

The numbers you cherry picked are meaningless when taken in the context of comparison with other regional carriers over the same periods and operating within the same regions, but that doesn't stop you from breaking a sweat trying to manufacture an issue where there isn't one.

I will restate what everyone already knows: IGNORE THE TROLL
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:57 pm

Not only that, but it's cheaper for DL to cancel 9E, as them being a wholly owned carrier. You don't have to pay yourself to cancel, as you would in the case of OO/YX/G7/CP
From my cold, dead hands

burnsie28

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:24 pm

IPFreely wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

That’s understood but look at Delta’s regional cancellations from Monday:

Republic 77
Endeavor 74
GoJet 4
Compass 0

The all operate in the same network but lately just one of the five in meltdown mode — and only on select days. It seems like something unique is going on at Endeavor.

They operate within the Delta network, but at far different areas. 9E is also one of the best performing regionals out there.

The two largest 9E stations were hit by bad weather over the weekend. ATL and NYC.

For March total operations by carrier:
NYC
OO: 2,612
9E: 8,436
YX: 4,104
G7: 0
CP: 0

DTW
OO: 6,063
9E: 3,525
YX: 408
G7: 3,338

MSP
OO: 8,692
9E: 2,318
YX: 8
G7: 370

ATL
OO: 5,009
9E: 6,805
YX: 0

SLC
OO: 6,329
9E: 0
CP: 1,295

SEA
OO: 708
CP: 2,852

LAX
OO: 366
CP: 1,854

You can see that 9E was greatly affected by the NYC weather. With that many operations and DL choosing the cancel regional flights proactively that's what happens.

ScottB

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:55 pm

IPFreely wrote:
look at Delta’s regional cancellations from Monday:

Republic 77
Endeavor 74
GoJet 4
Compass 0

May I have some of what you're smoking? If anything, the Republic number is worse given that YX plays a far smaller role in the DL network than 9E. In any event, yes, something unique is happening at Endeavor: they operate on DL's behalf with a larger footprint at the airports which have seen significant weather issues this week. Because DL cancels the regional flights to keep the mainline operation running, 9E ends up being the sacrificial lamb. It's fairly remarkable that they manage to get a reliable operation back up and running quickly when weather puts aircraft and crews in the wrong locations.

IPFreely
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:06 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Not only that, but it's cheaper for DL to cancel 9E, as them being a wholly owned carrier. You don't have to pay yourself to cancel, as you would in the case of OO/YX/G7/CP

That makes perfect sense. I suspect you are correct that when regional flights are sacrificed, the one that’s wholly owned is always the one that gets the rubber end of the plunger. Thank you for the explanation.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:03 pm

IPFreely wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

That makes perfect sense. I suspect you are correct that when regional flights are sacrificed, the one that’s wholly owned is always the one that gets the rubber end of the plunger. Thank you for the explanation.

It's not a Delta exclusive thing either. American does it with PSA/Piedmont/Envoy as well.
From my cold, dead hands

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos