SKAirbus
Topic Author

Brussels Airlines Launches New Long Haul Cabins

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:26 pm

From the pressroom at Brussels Airlines (https://press.brusselsairlines.com/brus ... in-the-air):

Brussels Airlines reveals a brand new travel experience on board of its long-haul aircraft. By investing 10 million euro per aircraft in a completely new Business Class, Premium Economy and Economy Class the airline wants to offer a personal experience, recreating a boutique hotel feel at 30,000 feet. The interior was designed in collaboration with JPA Design.

Brussels Airlines aims to make the journey as important as the destination. With three new highly differentiated classes with quality products and the typical Belgian hospitality, the airline calls its newly introduced and retrofitted A330 aircraft “a boutique hotel in the air”, offering the same small scale personal experience as one finds in a boutique hotel. To translate its boutique aspirations into reality, Brussels Airlines has worked with JPA Design to design the brand new Business Class, Premium Economy and Economy Class.

The Belgian touch

Premium-quality material such as wood and leather have always been important when it comes to Belgian design. Belgian Art Nouveau and Victor Horta were the inspiration for the new A330 cabin interior. The dome light of the ceiling in the boarding area features an elegant Art Nouveau design. All seats feature rich 3D textured fabric, inspired by famous Belgian designers like Dries Van Noten.

As culinary excellence is key to Belgians, Brussels Airlines teams up with a Belgian Star Chef every year to design the Business Class menu’s on its long-haul flights. With its new cabin the airline also brings the Belgian beer and bar culture to the sky, by including a self-service bar in its aircraft and offering a varying choice of 8 famous Belgian beers to all guests. Next to that, Belgian wines, coffee and premium Belgian chocolates from Neuhaus are personally served by the airline’s warm and friendly crew.

You can also take a closer look at the new cabins here, including a virtual tour:

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-be/ ... iumeconomy

From what I can see, the Business Cabin has the same layout but with new seats and far more storage (very welcome!), the Premium Economy cabin is new and the Economy cabin again looks like a refresh with new seats. I guess with this investment, maybe Lufthansa have put plans on hold to fully integrate SN into EW?

What do you all think? In my opinion it's a welcome improvement but nothing revolutionary.
Base: BRU

OA260

Re: Brussels Airlines Launches New Long Haul Cabins

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Looks ok. Comfortable enough but nothing special all the same. Certainly no wow factor but I guess they are not in the same league as other carriers.

shamrock350

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:36 pm

Visually it’s very appealing, it has a nice colour pallet and the lighting choices complement it well. The seats themselves look good too, while nothing out of the ordinary or unique, they’re definitely high quality and comfortable.

The business class seat appears to the same Thompson Vantage design seen on Aer Lingus, Malaysia and a few others. It’s a great seat according to reviews.

trijetsonly

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:43 pm

The Business Class seats are the one from the Swiss 777-300ER. I really love them, perfect for solo travellers and for couples, good privacy and excellent storage possibilities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll7M6ve1mjk
Looking forward to see them in SN!

The Premium Eco seats are the standard LH Group ZIM seats that are already available on LH, OS and EW.
Happy Landings

OlafW

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:07 pm

doesn't look all to bad, although I fear the headrests will look bad quite quickly.

On a side note, am I the only one hating the design of the website with the floating text blocks? I'd really like to see the background pictures as a whole, not in cinemascope with either top or bottom missing :banghead:

SQ22

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:19 pm

SKAirbus wrote:
From the pressroom at Brussels Airlines (https://press.brusselsairlines.com/brus ... in-the-air):

Brussels Airlines reveals a brand new travel experience on board of its long-haul aircraft. By investing 10 million euro per aircraft in a completely new Business Class, Premium Economy and Economy Class the airline wants to offer a personal experience, recreating a boutique hotel feel at 30,000 feet. The interior was designed in collaboration with JPA Design.

Brussels Airlines aims to make the journey as important as the destination. With three new highly differentiated classes with quality products and the typical Belgian hospitality, the airline calls its newly introduced and retrofitted A330 aircraft “a boutique hotel in the air”, offering the same small scale personal experience as one finds in a boutique hotel. To translate its boutique aspirations into reality, Brussels Airlines has worked with JPA Design to design the brand new Business Class, Premium Economy and Economy Class.

The Belgian touch

Premium-quality material such as wood and leather have always been important when it comes to Belgian design. Belgian Art Nouveau and Victor Horta were the inspiration for the new A330 cabin interior. The dome light of the ceiling in the boarding area features an elegant Art Nouveau design. All seats feature rich 3D textured fabric, inspired by famous Belgian designers like Dries Van Noten.

As culinary excellence is key to Belgians, Brussels Airlines teams up with a Belgian Star Chef every year to design the Business Class menu’s on its long-haul flights. With its new cabin the airline also brings the Belgian beer and bar culture to the sky, by including a self-service bar in its aircraft and offering a varying choice of 8 famous Belgian beers to all guests. Next to that, Belgian wines, coffee and premium Belgian chocolates from Neuhaus are personally served by the airline’s warm and friendly crew.

You can also take a closer look at the new cabins here, including a virtual tour:

From what I can see, the Business Cabin has the same layout but with new seats and far more storage (very welcome!), the Premium Economy cabin is new and the Economy cabin again looks like a refresh with new seats. I guess with this investment, maybe Lufthansa have put plans on hold to fully integrate SN into EW?

What do you all think? In my opinion it's a welcome improvement but nothing revolutionary.

My understanding is, that, even with a full integration of SN into EW operations, there was never a plan that the whole SN brand should disappear on routes where the brand is fully established and strong.

SKAirbus
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:06 pm

I think the most significant thing here is the introduction of Premium Economy. I wonder if they will keep the "Comfort Zone" seats in economy with extra legroom and better recline.
Base: BRU

HaulSudson

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:42 pm

10m Euro per aircraft? That's a lot when the owner can't stop complaining about the poor business performance of SN...
The LH strategy for SN is just bizarre.
The LH website routinely ignores SN on the African routes like EBB or KGL. To add insult to injury, LH promotes ET, KQ or something Swiss. Seems they just want to kill SN.

oldannyboy

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:35 am

SKAirbus wrote:

The Belgian touch

Looks ok, and I like the color palette for Y and Y+.

For J, I don't buy the Art Nouveau reference (that btw 'chandelier' is tiny, and that art nouveau 'thingy' is a mere decal! C'mon SN, you can do better! Just loot at QR's entrance with the huge light dome!) when the seats are upholstered in blue and orange, such a tacky combination that harks back to municipal buses and screams low cost! I would have liked far better a different colour palette of cream/chocolate, or perhaps embossed/stitched/quilted leather.... I loved the concept of the Horta art nouveau reference, but here they totally missed the opportunity.

blueflyer

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:15 pm

And Miles and More still disincentivize passengers with status from flying Brussels Airlines by issuing less award miles than on Lufthansa or Swiss...
HaulSudson wrote:
The LH strategy for SN is just bizarre. The LH website routinely ignores SN on the African routes like EBB or KGL. To add insult to injury, LH promotes ET, KQ or something Swiss. Seems they just want to kill SN.

I do agree the overall strategy seems strange at times, however for Africa, Lufthansa isn't to blame. Lufty handed Brussels Airlines personnel the responsibility for strategy/sales/marketing/planning of Africa flights for the entire Lufthansa Group. Maybe what they need is more capacity.

ewt340

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Looking at the promo pictures. It seems like they use the same configuration that Aer Lingus uses. Some seats wouldn't have direct aisle access. Also, the problem with the throne seat is the fact that the cubicle for your leg is tiny, if you are a tall person or claustrophobic, this would be seat to avoid.

But it does make sense for LH to install this seat. It's the "budget" next gen business class seat, which mean that they uses less space, so cheaper business class ticket.

debonair

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Will ALL A330 refurbished? The oldest OO-SFO is more than 25 years old, is it worth it to invest 10 mio EUR in such "old" airplane?

eamondzhang

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:03 am

debonair wrote:
Will ALL A330 refurbished? The oldest OO-SFO is more than 25 years old, is it worth it to invest 10 mio EUR in such "old" airplane?

Oldest A330s (200 and 300s) are being replaced by newer second hand 333s.

Michael

PA110

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:08 am

The blue fabric with red top-stitching looks vaguely like denim. While that might be fine for economy class seat covers, it really cheapens the look in business class. Darker colors without the bright red contrasting stitching would evoke a much more sophisticated ambiance.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos