Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VV

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:52 am

If the pilot wanted to make a mystery of his last flight then he would have succeeded.

Agrajag

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:46 am

hamiltondaniel wrote:
gia777 wrote:
i dont believe we dont have the technology yet

Unfortunately, your beliefs don't do much to alter reality. Despite all of the incredible technologies you mention, we really don't have any very good method to survey large swaths of deep ocean for small objects. Most scientists will tell you that the bottom of the ocean is harder to get to - and more mysterious - than the surface of Mars.

Not quite true. Its not harder to get to the bottom of the ocean than Mars, we do have the technology, we had it in the 90s when i did my Oceanography degree, the main problem is the economics. It requires expensive ships with expensive crews to spend months and months at at time out in an enormous ocean. It takes weeks of sailing just to get to the likely locations. Who is going to pay for it? Sad but unfortunately true.
The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.
Slartibartfast had a point

FluidFlow

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:22 am

Agrajag wrote:
hamiltondaniel wrote:
gia777 wrote:
i dont believe we dont have the technology yet

Unfortunately, your beliefs don't do much to alter reality. Despite all of the incredible technologies you mention, we really don't have any very good method to survey large swaths of deep ocean for small objects. Most scientists will tell you that the bottom of the ocean is harder to get to - and more mysterious - than the surface of Mars.

Not quite true. Its not harder to get to the bottom of the ocean than Mars, we do have the technology, we had it in the 90s when i did my Oceanography degree, the main problem is the economics. It requires expensive ships with expensive crews to spend months and months at at time out in an enormous ocean. It takes weeks of sailing just to get to the likely locations. Who is going to pay for it? Sad but unfortunately true.

The problem is also the likely locations. If you fill an Olympic swimming pool with muddy water (so your visibility is around 25cm) and throw a coin in it, it will take ages to find said coin if you do not know where to start searching.
This just costs too much. The problem inherently lies in the fact, that you can not observe the ocean floor with optical devices. Finding something on the surface of the moon or mars? Relatively easy, finding something on the surface of Venus (assuming it is not burned to dust), really really hard, you need to send a probe that scans the whole planetary surface with SAR for example, if you do not know where to look.
Same kind of goes for MH370. Who will pay for it? Especially as it is an MH flight. If it would have been an AF/LH/UA/DL, etc. There would be way more funding for a search as the countries of origin would be very interested to figure out the secret of what happened.

Curiousflyer

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:38 am

Since pieces have been found in multiple places in Africa, is it not possible that this plane was just completely shattered and there is no major part to be found? As for bodies, they would have been torn into small pieces to and long digested by ocean wildlife.

Armadillo1

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:41 am

what the size of max large part of MD-11 found? did they found tail?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair_Flight_111

AEROFAN

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:56 am

As soon as China hands it over.

Aptivaboy

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:37 pm

After accomplishing their primary mission of finding the USS Scorpion and USS Thresher, they had 12 remaining days to find the Titanic. The rest is history.

Just a small nitpick, the US Navy already knew where Thresher and Scorpion lay. They'd visited both wrecks multiple times. They just didn't want the Soviets to know their locations since boats of both and similar classes were still in service when Ballard went looking, survey the wrecks for themselves, and possibly learn something of a combat related or design value. Ballard's job was to survey both wrecks for deterioration, especially nuclear leakage and contamination. But yes, the Titanic search was a cover for this secret survey mission. He just didn't have much time to search for Titanic because surveying Scorpion and Thresher took far longer than anticipated. Weather may have been a factor, if memory serves.

FriscoHeavy

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:28 pm

No, it won't be found unless it happens to be by complete accident (no pun intended). It's just too large of an area with no real idea of where it is.
Whatever

DrPaul

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:49 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
Realistically, I can’t see how MH370 could translate onto the screen successfully.

Since when have Hollywood (or any other film-maker) ever let facts -- or the lack of them -- get in the way of making a film?

CaptCoolHand

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:30 pm

DrPaul wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
Realistically, I can’t see how MH370 could translate onto the screen successfully.

Since when have Hollywood (or any other film-maker) ever let facts -- or the lack of them -- get in the way of making a film?

Cough (loosely)
Based on “actual” events.

APhoto

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:47 pm

Very interesting video and new theory about the location of MH370:

RAeS Brussels Branch lecture held at Eurocontrol on the topic of the MH370 Flight and whether ATC was deliberately misled.

https://youtu.be/Qk1CxO9XGyQ

bob75013

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:13 pm

Now a few weeks short of 6 years later.

Here's an article that proposes that high level Malaysian authorities have always beleived that this was a case of murder suicide by the pilot -- says an ex Australian PM

https://www.foxnews.com/world/malaysia- ... m-pm-plane

Aptivaboy

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Someone get that Paul Allen ship that’s locating all of the lost WWII wrecks on it.

That's a totally different can of worms, unfortunately. When the R/V Petrel goes out looking for wrecks, they at least know within a few miles of where the target is. Even in the case of Kaga and Akagi, which the Petrel recently located near Midway, they had fragmentary Japanese position reports. It still required a fair amount of time, but at least they knew where to start looking. US ships like Juneau, Wasp and Lexington had positions which were exceptionally well logged before they sank, making the search much, much easier. Plus, a World War Two warship is a much larger target than a T7.

I like the ocean drone technology as a potential solution moving forward, The US Navy and DARPA were working on this in earnest several years ago, DARPA going so far as to allow civilians to download a game, so to speak, or sim of the proposed technology and play with it, seeing how it might be used. My poor underpowered Core 2 PC couldn't quite run it, but it looked intriguing.

rampbro

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:05 pm

Curiousflyer wrote:
Since pieces have been found in multiple places in Africa, is it not possible that this plane was just completely shattered and there is no major part to be found? As for bodies, they would have been torn into small pieces to and long digested by ocean wildlife.

A lot of might be shattered, but not the turbofans or brake assemblies. If we find anything, it will either be the whole plan or just those parts.

EMBQA

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:27 pm

This aircraft is completely in tact at the bottom of the ocean. It was landed very gently and slowly sank... the only parts ever found have been external.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

PhilMcCrackin

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:34 pm

EMBQA wrote:
This aircraft is completely in tact at the bottom of the ocean. It was landed very gently and slowly sank... the only parts ever found have been external.

They've found internal parts as well as baggage items that they suspect was from the airplane.

CheckNorris

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 pm

EMBQA wrote:

I find that somewhat hard to believe. The southern Indian Ocean ain't the Hudson River...

ER757

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:07 pm

EMBQA wrote:

That is factually incorrect. An internal bulkhead panel was found - so much for "the only parts ever found have been external"

NonTechAvLover

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:26 pm

APhoto wrote:
Very interesting video and new theory about the location of MH370:

RAeS Brussels Branch lecture held at Eurocontrol on the topic of the MH370 Flight and whether ATC was deliberately misled.

https://youtu.be/Qk1CxO9XGyQ

The lecture is very interesting indeed. It would also be interesting to hear someone from the other side critique it. These things generally sound convincing until somebody goes up and thrashes them.

One question that I thought would have been asked, but was not, is why on earth would anyone want to take a Malaysian 777 bound for Beijing to Christmas Island and do it hiding from radar. If you are in control of the plane, fly to Christmas Island and do not worry about anyone seeing you, it is not as if you can land the plane on the runway and continue avoiding detection on the island. What’s the big deal if they know a few hours earlier that somebody decided to take a flight to Christmas Island?

cjg225

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:31 pm

fishmeal wrote:
The location of the USS Thresher was known immediately. The USS Skylark was on the surface when the Thresher reported "experiencing minor difficulties." It imploded and sank to the bottom in six main pieces. The water depth was over 8000' feet, but parts were recovered at that time by a submersible during the subsequent investigation. This submarine sank on April 9, 1963: one of the crewmen was a graduate of the high school I was attending at the time.

If I recall correctly it wasn't that they wanted Ballard to find Scorpion and Thresher, per se; it was that they wanted him to do full surveys of their wrecks. A tiny handful of images have ever been declassified.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

PhilMcCrackin

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:02 pm

cjg225 wrote:
fishmeal wrote:
The location of the USS Thresher was known immediately. The USS Skylark was on the surface when the Thresher reported "experiencing minor difficulties." It imploded and sank to the bottom in six main pieces. The water depth was over 8000' feet, but parts were recovered at that time by a submersible during the subsequent investigation. This submarine sank on April 9, 1963: one of the crewmen was a graduate of the high school I was attending at the time.

If I recall correctly it wasn't that they wanted Ballard to find Scorpion and Thresher, per se; it was that they wanted him to do full surveys of their wrecks. A tiny handful of images have ever been declassified.

Correct.

They also had a fairly accurate idea of where Scorpion was because of SOSUS.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:10 pm

No, extremely unlikely it will ever be found.
Whatever

KlimaBXsst

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:48 pm

Perhaps Ryan Air

should consider buying Malaysian Airlines. Hard to deny origins of individuals when true statistics are used and not weaponized as was trying to be done on an earlier thread. Mass murder is mass murder.

Malaysian Airlines unfortunately may become a true victim now and one of the new potential casualties of current affairs. We in the airline community hope not.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

spinotter

Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:20 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:

Amelia Earhart and her airplane have never been found with certainty, isn't that true? In her case, a small plane but in a much smaller area of search? I can imagine that better detection methods may someday be developed, totally automated and running all the time to map the bottoms of all large bodies of water. Why not if the technology is there? Is anyone still seriously looking for MH370?

FriscoHeavy

Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:46 pm

spinotter wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Amelia Earhart and her airplane have never been found with certainty, isn't that true? In her case, a small plane but in a much smaller area of search? I can imagine that better detection methods may someday be developed, totally automated and running all the time to map the bottoms of all large bodies of water. Why not if the technology is there? Is anyone still seriously looking for MH370?

What is the point of your post?

As I said, it’s extremely unlikely it will ever be found.

Could it happen by accident? Sure.

However, it’s very unlikely.
Whatever

peterinlisbon

Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:45 pm

I don't think there's any point putting more resources into this. My personal theory is that the captain was planning to fly somewhere like Diego Garcia as a protest and thought that messing with the pressurization would allow him to knock everyone else unconscious so that he could do what he wanted. But either his oxygen mask didn't work or he didn't put it on properly and he knocked himself out as well.

KlimaBXsst

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:00 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
I don't think there's any point putting more resources into this. My personal theory is that the captain was planning to fly somewhere like Diego Garcia as a protest and thought that messing with the pressurization would allow him to knock everyone else unconscious so that he could do what he wanted. But either his oxygen mask didn't work or he didn't put it on properly and he knocked himself out as well.

No more resources is a correct response.

One does have to ask “what the heck came over this pilot” who had the career “dream job” many can only dream of in this forum.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

GZM1

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:26 pm

Whoever masterminded that, did a perfect job. And I don’t think it was the captain. The captain could have played a part but what? Korean 007 comes to mind. There are some similarities and also there are differences. Let’s say that the Russians were behind, it was their turn. And no, it will never be found, there is nothing left to find. That was their stroke of genius. Some day the world will know but through political means when none of us will be around to care...A masterpiece!
It’s all Greek to me! Aeroplane Basic Category Cycle Dynamic Economics Ecstasy Fantasy Galaxy Geometry Harmony History Horizon Idea Logic Magnetism Music Mystery Nautical Orchestra Organism Phenomenon Political Problem Symphony Technology Telephone Zone

PhilMcCrackin

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:05 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:

I don't agree with your theory, but I do agree this isn't worth putting any more resources into. The bodies are long since gone, so you won't be able to determine a cause of death off those. The airplane likely ended up in a million pieces, so your best hope is to find the FDR and hope it hasn't been damaged by the impact or the 6 years it's spent in the ocean. Only then would you be able to tell what happened in the cockpit. The CVR likely won't be of any value, unless someone was alive in the cockpit during the final two hours of the flight.

My opinion: it's pilot suicide. He decompressed the airplane as soon as he left Malaysia ATC, everyone died from oxygen deprivation, and the plane flew on until it ran out of fuel and crashed. He set the airplane up to fly to the most desolate area on Earth in order to cover up what he did(and did a pretty good job of it).

smokeybandit

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:11 pm

It'll most certainly be found at some point. People never stop looking for stuff like this and as technology evolves, the odds of it being found will keep going up.

N14AZ

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:37 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
My opinion: it's pilot suicide. He decompressed the airplane as soon as he left Malaysia ATC, everyone died from oxygen deprivation, and the plane flew on until it ran out of fuel and crashed. He set the airplane up to fly to the most desolate area on Earth in order to cover up what he did(and did a pretty good job of it).

Perfect summary. I also think that this is the most likely scenario. And if it was like this, then yes, perfectly executed plan.

smokeybandit wrote:
It'll most certainly be found at some point. People never stop looking for stuff like this and as technology evolves, the odds of it being found will keep going up.

I agree with you. But it will take several years, maybe even decades and to what kind of findings would it lead to? Not so many, I guess.

zeke

Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:36 pm

I simply cannot believe the UK or US did not run a nuclear sub over the area in the month after the accident and know where the ULB was.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

peterinlisbon

Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:45 pm

zeke wrote:
I simply cannot believe the UK or US did not run a nuclear sub over the area in the month after the accident and know where the ULB was.

First you need to know where to look. It's transmitting with a battery, several kilometers underwater. That signal is not going to travel very far and eventually the battery will run out.

PhilMcCrackin

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:24 pm

zeke wrote:

They did. HMS Tireless, which is a UK fast attack sub, searched the area and it's possible the US had subs in the area that weren't publicized because of OPSEC. The Indian Ocean is a desolate place even for the military because there just isn't anything of consequence down there and thus little need to operate there other than transiting through to somewhere else.

zeke

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:31 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
The Indian Ocean is a desolate place even for the military because there just isn't anything of consequence down there and thus little need to operate there other than transiting through to somewhere else.

Sounds like a wonderful place to park an ballistic missile submarine. One of the largest submarine communications facilities in the world is on the west coast of Australia, to the west is Diego Garcia.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Polot

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:43 pm

zeke wrote:

What area?

zeke wrote:

Sounds like a wonderful place to park an ballistic missile submarine. One of the largest submarine communications facilities in the world is on the west coast of Australia, to the west is Diego Garcia.

My guess is the choke points into the South Indian Ocean are being monitored. Not everyone has nuclear subs, and most that do not have direct access to the Indian Ocean, or would be coming from the North. There are only select targets of importance to the US in the region (not sure about the U.K.). I doubt the US has many subs just sitting out in the open seas there, they will be near the major channels and coasts. Especially as few countries with ballistic missile submarines are going to launch an unprovoked attack on Diego Garcia and the like.

Varsity1

Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:37 pm

U.S. Navy Boomers (Ohio class) subs patrol the Indian Ocean. They aren't specialized to search at the level of fast attack subs though. Could have been thousands of miles away too, it's a huge ocean.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

juliuswong

Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:58 am

Was reading missing aircraft online when I found this. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varig_Flight_967

Apparently the Varig flight was never found to date. Possibly ditched into Pacific Ocean 40 years ago.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

Aaron747

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:06 am

juliuswong wrote:
Was reading missing aircraft online when I found this. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varig_Flight_967

Apparently the Varig flight was never found to date. Possibly ditched into Pacific Ocean 40 years ago.

Key items from PAA 816 that went down off Tahiti in 1973 were never recovered either, and that was only a few miles from PPT.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ExpatVet

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:15 am

zeke wrote:

Ok, but which bit of the 230,000 square miles of search area would you have sent it to? That's more than twice the size of the United Kingdom.

Just to explain metaphorically, if you've got a submarine listening for a ping in London, you won't hear it if the plane is in Manchester.
L101, 733/4/5/8/9, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

zeke

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:48 am

ExpatVet wrote:
zeke wrote:

Ok, but which bit of the 230,000 square miles of search area would you have sent it to? That's more than twice the size of the United Kingdom.

Just to explain metaphorically, if you've got a submarine listening for a ping in London, you won't hear it if the plane is in Manchester.

A nuclear sub could search an area of 100 sq nm per hour (20 kts speed 5 nm wide) at a submerged depths 1500 ft below the surface thermal layer with a highly sensitive towed sonar array. It could cover the area of the size of the UK in 655 hours, or just over 27 days without the need to surface. The ULB are guaranteed minimum 30 days transmission.

Polot

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:32 am

zeke wrote:
ExpatVet wrote:
zeke wrote:

A nuclear sub could search an area of 100 sq nm per hour (20 kts speed 5 nm wide) at a submerged depths 1500 ft below the surface thermal layer with a highly sensitive towed sonar array. It could cover the area of the size of the UK in 655 hours, or just over 27 days without the need to surface. The ULB are guaranteed minimum 30 days transmission.

I repeat my earlier questions: what area?

Because that is part of the problem. It’s not just that we can’t find the wreckage, but after 5 years we are still not 100% sure where the plane went down, and we were even less sure in the immediate time after disappearance. Initial search areas were where the plane was last seen on radar. It wasn’t until later weeks that it shifted to other areas. 27 days to to cover an area the size of the U.K. doesn’t cut it if you are searching an area twice that size and only started a week or two after the plane first went down. And it’s not like the search did not have military help.

AVFCdownunder

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:37 am

Regrettably, and with the greatest respect and sympathy to the passengers and their families, I don't actually think there is anything tangible to find anymore.

ltbewr

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:03 pm

The plane likely ended up in one of the deepest, most isolated areas in the Indian Ocean, with extremely limited data making it impossible with available monies and current technology to locate the main body of wreckage. Even China, who's citizens made up the greatest number of passengers from one country on the flight, either doesn't have the tech or money to continue the search.

What we can do is learn from this loss. There should be aircraft location and identity systems that cannot be overridden by a pilot. Improvements could be made in the only system on this flight to give more frequent reports. Military and civilian ATC operations including staffing can be improved so if a plane goes off-course, it will be noted and military aircraft sent out to investigate. What if this pilot had decided to fly his plane into a landmark building like done in the 9/11 terror attacks instead of going out to sea ? Perhaps that was his intent but became disabled earlier than expected to be able to carry that out. Such possibilities must be prevented.

ChrisKen

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:07 pm

zeke wrote:
ExpatVet wrote:
zeke wrote:

You ain't hearing much at 20kts on the "highly sensitive towed array". You don't know where the layers were, or even if they were present. What's the obsession with it being nuclear? Conventional or nuclear it matters not. In short, your assertion is utter nonsense. Expatvet is nearer the mark

Aircraft ULB's are very weak. In practical terms, you pretty much have to run right over the top of them for them to be found (and that's early in the search, before it all starts to degrade).

TTailedTiger

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:21 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

I don't agree with your theory, but I do agree this isn't worth putting any more resources into. The bodies are long since gone, so you won't be able to determine a cause of death off those. The airplane likely ended up in a million pieces, so your best hope is to find the FDR and hope it hasn't been damaged by the impact or the 6 years it's spent in the ocean. Only then would you be able to tell what happened in the cockpit. The CVR likely won't be of any value, unless someone was alive in the cockpit during the final two hours of the flight.

Wouldn't the captain have had to murder the FO and any relief pilots in order to carry that out? I don't think they would just sit there while he depressurized the aircraft. I'm not saying your theory is wrong. We know the captain was a really weird and troubled person. Why he was allowed to continue flying is quite worrying.

zeke

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:50 pm

Polot wrote:
It wasn’t until later weeks that it shifted to other areas. 27 days to to cover an area the size of the U.K. doesn’t cut it if you are searching an area twice that size and only started a week or two after the plane first went down. And it’s not like the search did not have military help.

The aircraft disappeared on March 8, Australia took over the search a bit over a week later on March 17 for the aircraft in the Indian Ocean. The military search was mainly further south looking for surface survivors and floating debris. There was no concentrated effort from the start for an underwater search.

Many submarines could have participated in the search covering vast amount of area quickly. Unlike surface vessels and aircraft they have much longer time on station, and when submerged rather isolated from weather effects.

The commercial search later basically used UAV submarines to do the same job.

KFLLCFII

Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:49 pm

The technology just hasn't caught up yet.

It will probably be someone like Robert Ballard who stumbles upon what's left of the debris field in the decades to come.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:08 pm

*delete*
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

PhilMcCrackin

Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
U.S. Navy Boomers (Ohio class) subs patrol the Indian Ocean. They aren't specialized to search at the level of fast attack subs though. Could have been thousands of miles away too, it's a huge ocean.

Without getting too far into the weeds with this, the Indian Ocean isn't a patrol sector for Trident subs. At any rate, you wouldn't retask a Trident on a strategic deterrent patrol into searching for something like this anyway, because the mission is far too critical to national security.