User avatar
Gonzalo
Posts: 1821
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:43 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Gangurru wrote:
Reading many of the posts over time, I get the impression many don’t comprehend the size and remoteness of the search area. Given a choice between a conspiratorial cover up or well intentioned search teams missing small pieces of wreckage in a vast ocean, I’d put my money on the later.

If the search vehicle was a plane instead of a boat, the height above surface would be the same as the cruising altitude of a turboporop. From a cabin window, the horizon is about 100km away.

The search area of 217,000 km2 covers the same as the amount of land you would see from the window of a turboprop on a five hour flight.

I have flown on the world’s loneliest air routes over the southern oceans between Australia/New Zealand and Africa/South America. The isolation is of an almost indescribable scale. Prior to MH370, I told my partner that if I was ever on a flight that went down in that part of the world, expect nothing to be found due to the isolation and extremely difficult search logistics.



Can not agree more. A few months ago I flew SCL-AKL. Twelve hours at cruise speed, overflying water and only water. The size of the Indian Ocean is equally overwhelming considering the fact that we are searching for an object that is big for the human scale, but very, very small and insignificant considering the context / size of the possible resting place. I usually explain this with the following analogy : Let´s say your search area is now your desk ( yes the desk you are using now to write with your keyboard ). But the "object" you have to find is a single, specific proton. The proton is there, and if you spend enough time and effort with the sole purpose of find it, well, yes, eventually you CAN find it. But the truth is, it is a really really hard task, and the odds are against us.
Last edited by Gonzalo on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600
 
User avatar
cougar15
Posts: 1414
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:56 pm

60 Minutes Australia ran a piece on it, not much new. but they did film recovered pieces, perhaps of interest to someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IooUYvy5h0o&t=1261s
some you lose, others you can´t win!
 
747megatop
Posts: 1701
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:35 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
The Titanic was found 73 years after it sank. The necessary technology didn’t exist at the time. I think MH370 will be a similar story. Its discovery will no doubt make big news sometime in the future. Maybe even after we’re all gone.

The technology to find MH370 exists today.

https://www.computerworld.com.au/articl ... ern-ocean/

https://www.saildrone.com/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... -the-ocean

https://www.boeing.com/defense/autonomo ... index.page

https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... es-boeing/

The bottom line questions are -

1) Who is going to fund it?
2) Who is going to take the initiative to put together a whole new search for it and run it?
3) Who is going to make tweaks and/or retrofits needed to adapt the "sail drone" or the "echo voyager" to this specific need? I guess it would be the manufacturer of these technologies...but it would go back to the question of who would fund it. I am guess with massive amounts of cloud computing power and latest software technologies available (AI+Machine learning etc.) it's a matter of figuring out how to uplink data collected by these drones and process them in a semi-real time fashion [again we are talking about who is forking out the $$$$s here]

EDIT: Note - After i wrote this post and dug a little but deeper. The saildrone has technology to transmit data via satellite to land based data centers. So; the retrofit is NOT needed at least in the saildrone case. " The sensor package is connected to onboard computers that transmit the data via satellite communications to our shore-based data centers." [taken from https://www.saildrone.com/technology]

I am guessing the same would be true for Boeing's Echo voyager. So, leaves us with just questions 1 and 2.


I am guessing that for 1 and 2 there are not going to be any eager volunteers...Malaysia is the one that would be a natural fit for 1 and 2 considering that it is their aircraft but i don't think they have deep pockets. If it were France, Australia or the US i would be more optimistic.

The unmanned drone technologies that i referred to in the links above are a game changer IMHO in regards to how much ocean can be searched and for how long. Of course, the aviation industry would still need to pursue real-time streaming of location data + CVR/FDR data [the trigger for that is up for debate] for aircraft in flight..especially when flying over water bodies.
Last edited by 747megatop on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
747megatop
Posts: 1701
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:46 pm

Gonzalo wrote:
Gangurru wrote:
Reading many of the posts over time, I get the impression many don’t comprehend the size and remoteness of the search area. Given a choice between a conspiratorial cover up or well intentioned search teams missing small pieces of wreckage in a vast ocean, I’d put my money on the later.

If the search vehicle was a plane instead of a boat, the height above surface would be the same as the cruising altitude of a turboporop. From a cabin window, the horizon is about 100km away.

The search area of 217,000 km2 covers the same as the amount of land you would see from the window of a turboprop on a five hour flight.

I have flown on the world’s loneliest air routes over the southern oceans between Australia/New Zealand and Africa/South America. The isolation is of an almost indescribable scale. Prior to MH370, I told my partner that if I was ever on a flight that went down in that part of the world, expect nothing to be found due to the isolation and extremely difficult search logistics.



Can not agree more. A few months ago I flew SCL-AKL. Twelve hours at cruise speed, overflying water and only water. The size of the Indian Ocean is equally overwhelming considering the fact that we are searching for an object that is big for the human scale, but very, very small and insignificant considering the context / size of the possible resting place. I usually explain this with the following analogy : Let´s say your search area is now your desk ( yes the desk you are using now to write with your keyboard ). But the "object" you have to find is a single, specific proton. The proton is there, and if you spend enough time and effort with the sole purpose of find it, well, yes, eventually you CAN find it. But the truth is, it is a really really hard task, and the odds are against us.

I think the size of the search area can be overcome by technology as i stated in my other post provided we know the approx search area.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2361
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:52 pm

Gonzalo wrote:
Gangurru wrote:
Reading many of the posts over time, I get the impression many don’t comprehend the size and remoteness of the search area. Given a choice between a conspiratorial cover up or well intentioned search teams missing small pieces of wreckage in a vast ocean, I’d put my money on the later.

If the search vehicle was a plane instead of a boat, the height above surface would be the same as the cruising altitude of a turboporop. From a cabin window, the horizon is about 100km away.

The search area of 217,000 km2 covers the same as the amount of land you would see from the window of a turboprop on a five hour flight.

I have flown on the world’s loneliest air routes over the southern oceans between Australia/New Zealand and Africa/South America. The isolation is of an almost indescribable scale. Prior to MH370, I told my partner that if I was ever on a flight that went down in that part of the world, expect nothing to be found due to the isolation and extremely difficult search logistics.



Can not agree more. A few months ago I flew SCL-AKL. Twelve hours at cruise speed, overflying water and only water. The size of the Indian Ocean is equally overwhelming considering the fact that we are searching for an object that is big for the human scale, but very, very small and insignificant considering the context / size of the possible resting place. I usually explain this with the following analogy : Let´s say your search area is now your desk ( yes the desk you are using now to write with your keyboard ). But the "object" you have to find is a single, specific proton. The proton is there, and if you spend enough time and effort with the sole purpose of find it, well, yes, eventually you CAN find it. But the truth is, it is a really really hard task, and the odds are against us.


In 2019 I would expect that any airline flying such a route would keep better track in real time of the locations of its planes than MH did with its 77E. The reason such a large area was searched was the range it had after leaving radar coverage. The data pings the engines sent to Rolls Royce still left the search area huge. This aircraft disappearance along with the shoot down of another MH 77E over Ukraine just a few months larger almost destroyed the airline.
Last edited by flyingclrs727 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:03 pm

Idk if it will be found, but personally I believe it's more probable, and that it won't be too far out (to clarify I mean in about 10-20 years as opposed to 50-never)
A350/CSeries = bae
 
gunnerman
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:06 pm

Hopefully more debris will be found and enable the boffins to narrow the search area.
 
FabienA380
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:14 pm

I'm believing in the Diego Garcia theory. Why nobody at all is speaking about it on a.net? From what I think, many highly ranked people from a few countries incl.USA would know something. When you see the Malaysian Interior minister speak during his interview a few years ago, you feel he lies as he breathes. He'd not be the only one.
 
marktci
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:05 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:07 pm

FabienA380 wrote:
I'm believing in the Diego Garcia theory. Why nobody at all is speaking about it on a.net? From what I think, many highly ranked people from a few countries incl.USA would know something. When you see the Malaysian Interior minister speak during his interview a few years ago, you feel he lies as he breathes. He'd not be the only one.


Really curious as to how you think this was achieved. A 777 that just about everyone in the world is looking for lands on an island inhabited by both UK and US military personnel and no one notices or blows the whistle? No communication has come from the 239 passengers and crew in the interim five years, either directly or through military personnel being moved on and off the island? Or were they all executed? And then the architects of this plot took pieces from the plane and planted them on various pieces of coastline around the Indian Ocean to possibly be discovered?
 
747megatop
Posts: 1701
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:25 pm

marktci wrote:
FabienA380 wrote:
I'm believing in the Diego Garcia theory. Why nobody at all is speaking about it on a.net? From what I think, many highly ranked people from a few countries incl.USA would know something. When you see the Malaysian Interior minister speak during his interview a few years ago, you feel he lies as he breathes. He'd not be the only one.


Really curious as to how you think this was achieved. A 777 that just about everyone in the world is looking for lands on an island inhabited by both UK and US military personnel and no one notices or blows the whistle? No communication has come from the 239 passengers and crew in the interim five years, either directly or through military personnel being moved on and off the island? Or were they all executed? And then the architects of this plot took pieces from the plane and planted them on various pieces of coastline around the Indian Ocean to possibly be discovered?

Well; whoever was doing this invented a top secret stealth coating for the T7 that makes it invisible. Didn't you get the memo? Then they used unmanned invisible drones to move pieces of the wreckage to various spot for people to find. The reason nobody saw anything on Diego Garcia is because the same technology that made the T7 invisible made the people also invisible & shut off all electronic devices & communications and have since been enclose by a permanent invisible wall because of which they can't interact with anybody on Diego Garcia. :biggrin:
 
UPS757Pilot
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:22 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 pm

MH370 FOUND? Cambodia crash site of missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘99 percent likely’
THE crash site of Malaysia Airlines flight 370 is “99 percent likely” to have been identified in the Cambodian jungle, according to amateur investigator Daniel Boyer.

By Abbie Llewelyn PUBLISHED: 06:02, Sun, Mar 3, 2019 | UPDATED: 08:44, Sun, Mar 3, 2019
MH370 debris presented to Malaysian Transport Minister

MH370 disappeared on March 8 2014 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing carrying 239 people and remains one of the biggest aviation mysteries in history. However, Mr Boyer believes he found the plane wreckage in Cambodia via satellite images and sent an expedition team to his proposed coordinates earlier this year. Although the team failed to reach the spot due to its remote location, its leader Zorba Parer allegedly concluded it was “99 percent likely” to be a plane crash site.

Mr Boyer claims this plane could be none other than MH370.

He told Express.co.uk: “Conclusively, Zorba’s report was that due to its remote location kilometres off the nearest dirt road it had to be a plane crash, although his team was not able to safely arrive so he wasn’t able to conclude what specific plane it was.

“He warned me that it could have been another plane crash, not MH370’s, however Cambodian records and satellite images prove otherwise.

“I believe that when you compare a Boeing 777 from the satellite view on an airport tarmac and compare it side by side with the crash site, the colour of the wreckage matches perfectly and some larger parts of the crash site are symmetrical to a Boeing 777.

“If this is indeed a plane crash site as 99 percent chance reported it could only be MH370.

“This is due to the fact that Cambodia’s last plane crash was in 2007 and 2008 satellite images of my crash site at coordinates 12.0159, 104.152 prove the jungle was completely undisturbed.

“What else would cause a disturbance in this vicinity of the jungle where it’s kilometres away from the nearest dirt path, 7m tall, 11m long, symmetrical to a large jetliner and after 2008? MH370.”

Mr Boyer added that Mr Parer’s team spoke to locals in Cambodia who recalled seeing a plane come down in the same area as his proposed MH370 crash site.

One allegedly remembered seeing a “dragon emblem”, similar to that of the Malaysia Airlines logo.

Mr Boyer concluded: “From what I have collected in data from the commissioned search team, satellite images and historical records of Cambodian Known crashes, this is 99 percent likely to be an unidentified plane crash site too remote to walk to.

“Cambodia’s last plane crash was in 2007,while the satellite images of this exact spot in 2008 show undisturbed forest.

“This points to it being a plane crash between 2009 and 2015.

“In comparison to the imposed aeroplane, they share many common attributes, further supporting that this is MH370.”
https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/10 ... niel-boyer
 
paullam
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:08 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:11 pm

UPS757Pilot wrote:
MH370 FOUND? Cambodia crash site of missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘99 percent likely’
THE crash site of Malaysia Airlines flight 370 is “99 percent likely” to have been identified in the Cambodian jungle, according to amateur investigator Daniel Boyer.

By Abbie Llewelyn PUBLISHED: 06:02, Sun, Mar 3, 2019 | UPDATED: 08:44, Sun, Mar 3, 2019
MH370 debris presented to Malaysian Transport Minister

MH370 disappeared on March 8 2014 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing carrying 239 people and remains one of the biggest aviation mysteries in history. However, Mr Boyer believes he found the plane wreckage in Cambodia via satellite images and sent an expedition team to his proposed coordinates earlier this year. Although the team failed to reach the spot due to its remote location, its leader Zorba Parer allegedly concluded it was “99 percent likely” to be a plane crash site.

Mr Boyer claims this plane could be none other than MH370.

He told Express.co.uk: “Conclusively, Zorba’s report was that due to its remote location kilometres off the nearest dirt road it had to be a plane crash, although his team was not able to safely arrive so he wasn’t able to conclude what specific plane it was.

“He warned me that it could have been another plane crash, not MH370’s, however Cambodian records and satellite images prove otherwise.

“I believe that when you compare a Boeing 777 from the satellite view on an airport tarmac and compare it side by side with the crash site, the colour of the wreckage matches perfectly and some larger parts of the crash site are symmetrical to a Boeing 777.

“If this is indeed a plane crash site as 99 percent chance reported it could only be MH370.

“This is due to the fact that Cambodia’s last plane crash was in 2007 and 2008 satellite images of my crash site at coordinates 12.0159, 104.152 prove the jungle was completely undisturbed.

“What else would cause a disturbance in this vicinity of the jungle where it’s kilometres away from the nearest dirt path, 7m tall, 11m long, symmetrical to a large jetliner and after 2008? MH370.”

Mr Boyer added that Mr Parer’s team spoke to locals in Cambodia who recalled seeing a plane come down in the same area as his proposed MH370 crash site.

One allegedly remembered seeing a “dragon emblem”, similar to that of the Malaysia Airlines logo.

Mr Boyer concluded: “From what I have collected in data from the commissioned search team, satellite images and historical records of Cambodian Known crashes, this is 99 percent likely to be an unidentified plane crash site too remote to walk to.

“Cambodia’s last plane crash was in 2007,while the satellite images of this exact spot in 2008 show undisturbed forest.

“This points to it being a plane crash between 2009 and 2015.

“In comparison to the imposed aeroplane, they share many common attributes, further supporting that this is MH370.”
https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/10 ... niel-boyer


While I doubt that this is where the plane crashed, that’s the spot they’re talking about:

Image

https://www.google.com/maps/place/12%C2%B000'57.2%22N+104%C2%B009'07.2%22E/@12.0155874,104.1519448,259m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d12.0159!4d104.152
712 733 734 735 737 738 739 744 752 763 77E 77L 77W 788 789 | A20N 318 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 388 | ASK21 | AT75 AT76 | BCS3 | C152 C172 C182 C210 | CR2 CR7 | DH8C DH8D | E190 | F70 F100 | LJ24 | PA31 | RJ85 RJ1H | SF34 | SU9 | YK2
 
User avatar
United787
Posts: 2841
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 12:20 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:30 pm

N766UA wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
The Titanic was found 73 years after it sank. The necessary technology didn’t exist at the time. I think MH370 will be a similar story. Its discovery will no doubt make big news sometime in the future. Maybe even after we’re all gone.


The Titanic’s wreckage is a massive hulk of steel hundreds of feet long that went down in a known area. Malaysia’s jet is god-knows-where and in about a million tiny, disintigrating pieces.

I don’t think they’ll ever find anything meaningful, personally.


Unfortunately, I agree :( I doubt there is anything bigger than suitcase. Talk about needle in a haystack.
 
LTC8K6
Posts: 1533
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:44 pm

How does this Cambodia theory account for the parts and debris that have been found?
 
User avatar
SuperGee
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 9:42 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:52 pm

But if this is truly MH370 wreckage in Cambodia, how would debris from it end up on islands such as Reunion Island and Pemba Island in the southern Indian Ocean?

https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/08/asia/mh3 ... index.html
 
User avatar
flyingphil
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 2:56 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:38 pm

The transponder on MH370 stopped working so maybe the plug was pulled on the Cockpit Voice Recorder too?
If the wreck was discovered it would bring some closure to the relatives, but would it explain why it went off course and crashed?
Looks like it will remain a mystery..

Also makes me wonder why they don’t design the ‘black boxes’ to float.
 
StarAC17
Posts: 3644
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:30 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
The Titanic was found 73 years after it sank. The necessary technology didn’t exist at the time. I think MH370 will be a similar story. Its discovery will no doubt make big news sometime in the future. Maybe even after we’re all gone.


I would concur with this view. The current technology is not sufficient to locate the aircraft. Perhaps within the next 20-30 years the necessary technology will be in place.


It could happen sometime soon or in decades. It depends on the efforts of people looking for it and the funding they get.

The titanic took 73 years but would have probably been a lot quicker given today's technology vs 1985. AF 447 took two years to find and they had a good idea within days where that went down.

I believe civilian technology in insufficient to find the wreck but I think it more that plausible that the US, China, Russia and even some other countries have military or intelligence technology that is highly classified but revealing where the wreck is would reveal their technology. Granted you would think that the US military couldn't have figured out how to tip off the Australian Navy anonymously.

flyingphil wrote:
The transponder on MH370 stopped working so maybe the plug was pulled on the Cockpit Voice Recorder too?
If the wreck was discovered it would bring some closure to the relatives, but would it explain why it went off course and crashed?
Looks like it will remain a mystery..

Also makes me wonder why they don’t design the ‘black boxes’ to float.


The transponder was turned off, something flight crews can do in certain circumstances if there was say a fire. However the times the transponders were turned off intentionally (depending on what you believe happened here) have been for bad reasons. This and 9/11, plus I am sure there are other instances. I do not think the black boxes can be disconnected because in the event of a dicey landing what is to stop a pilot from turning them off to not prove if there was pilot error if an accident happened. Granted I am sure there are safeguards for this.

You could make the black boxes float but still now your are looking for a something the size of a toaster in the ocean. There are a few issues with that is that it will be surrounded with other materials that will sink and if trapped it won't float to the surface
Also if it were to escape I would deem it likely that a shark, whale or other marine animal eats the thing by accident.

IIRC some of the solutions to prevent missing planes have been rejected because of costs. Those being uploading the flight data and voice recorders to the cloud and ensure that each plane is tracked via GPS. I can understand RADAR not being implemented over uninhabited regions or over the oceans but GPS is designed for global use and it can't be that expensive considering a 777 runs an airline 9 figures.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!
 
User avatar
vhtje
Posts: 973
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 pm

satx wrote:
I personally don't want another dime of taxpayer funds spent on this search .


I wasn’t aware any US Taxpayers’ “dimes” had been spent on this search. Assuming I am correct - that is, you are a US taxpayer and no US taxes were spent on this search - your view is fairly offensive to those whose taxes did pay for the search. If I am incorrect, then I offer my apologies.

Note: I am an Australian taxpayer and Australian taxes were most certainly spent on this search. Frustrating though it was, I do not consider it a waste of taxpayers’ money.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.
 
User avatar
flyingphil
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 2:56 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:09 pm

As far as I know it is possible to pull the fuze on the Cockpit Voice Recorder.. how and why the transponder was turned off adds to the mystery.
Also the Cockpit Voice recorder only records for so long then is overwritten.
If it did crash into the deep uncharted ocean I would imagine it would have disintegrated by now.
 
JQ321
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:40 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:31 pm

vhtje wrote:
satx wrote:
I personally don't want another dime of taxpayer funds spent on this search .


I wasn’t aware any US Taxpayers’ “dimes” had been spent on this search. Assuming I am correct - that is, you are a US taxpayer and no US taxes were spent on this search - your view is fairly offensive to those whose taxes did pay for the search. If I am incorrect, then I offer my apologies.

Note: I am an Australian taxpayer and Australian taxes were most certainly spent on this search. Frustrating though it was, I do not consider it a waste of taxpayers’ money.

Why should Australian put any money into anything which doesn't concern nor effect. IF it was a legal requirement that we fund a search which isn't in our territory , they should change the law.

Why is there even a discussion it will be found when it's found.
our rumors are only going to do one thing, hurt and harm the families of those that have been lost.
please close this thread.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:34 pm

The so-called black boxes are really strong. Example: the A330 operating flight AF447 belly-crashed and the debris field was found two years later at a depth of 3,980 metres or 13,060 ft. Both boxes were recovered and the flight and voice data successfully downloaded. I'd be quite hopeful that the boxes of MH370 would be valuable to investigators if found.
 
User avatar
InnsbruckFlyer
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:35 pm

From what I’ve heard, the Captain has blood on his hands. I just hope that the passengers didn’t suffer and that the black boxes will be found. That crash hit home for me. I arrived in PEK on March 8th from Frankfurt on LH720 and saw the ominous sign that said MH370 — KUALA LUMPUR — 6:30AM — DELAYED, and relatives crying. I’ll never forget that sight.

Image
--
2019: A3 2x A320 | CL E195 | FB A319, E190 | LH A320, A321, A346, A359 | OS A320, B772, 3x DH8Q | UA A319
 
User avatar
Moose135
Posts: 3067
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:27 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:54 pm

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
From what I’ve heard, the Captain has blood on his hands.

That's one theory that people have been pushing, but it doesn't really have any more evidence to support it than any of the others.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!
 
User avatar
vhtje
Posts: 973
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:35 am

JQ321 wrote:
Why should Australian put any money into anything which doesn't concern nor effect. IF it was a legal requirement that we fund a search which isn't in our territory , they should change the law.


It concerns/effects Australia because:

1) There were Australians onboard the aircraft
2) Australia is closest in proximity to the search area, meaning it makes logical and practical sense for Australia to be the base for any search
3) Part of the search area came awfully close to Australian territorial waters - would you be happy for foreign military vessels to be undertaking this search in and close to Australian waters?
4) Australia is a rich and well-resourced nation. It is therefore our moral obligation to assist. If a nation wants to be seen as the leader in a region (as Australia does), it has to step up and take leadership in times of crisis and need.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2388
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:56 am

vhtje wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
Why should Australian put any money into anything which doesn't concern nor effect. IF it was a legal requirement that we fund a search which isn't in our territory , they should change the law.


It concerns/effects Australia because:

1) There were Australians onboard the aircraft
2) Australia is closest in proximity to the search area, meaning it makes logical and practical sense for Australia to be the base for any search
3) Part of the search area came awfully close to Australian territorial waters - would you be happy for foreign military vessels to be undertaking this search in and close to Australian waters?
4) Australia is a rich and well-resourced nation. It is therefore our moral obligation to assist. If a nation wants to be seen as the leader in a region (as Australia does), it has to step up and take leadership in times of crisis and need.


Your obviously replying to an individual who doesn't have a single clue about how and why these sort of things happen.

It was an unbelievable remark in the first place!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2354
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 am

Well I'm gonna chime in here... Yes it was a tragedy. However, I don't want any more of my AU tax dollars going to this.
 
prebennorholm
Posts: 6938
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2000 6:25 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:25 am

StarAC17 wrote:
You could make the black boxes float but still now your are looking for a something the size of a toaster in the ocean. There are a few issues with that is that it will be surrounded with other materials that will sink and if trapped it won't float to the surface
Also if it were to escape I would deem it likely that a shark, whale or other marine animal eats the thing by accident.

From earlier MH370 threads:

Ejectable floating recorder memory capsules have been standard equipment on certain military planes for 30 - 40 years. Airbus lately offered newbuilt A350 and A380 optionally so equipped. There is no positive info that an airline has actually ordered that option from Airbus. (But why should they brag about it? No airline expects to ever have an accident).

They eject away from the tail of the plane in case of excessive G forces (crash or ditching), and GPS position is immediately transmitted to SAR satellites. They also contain a pinger for on site location.

They are not replacement for current recorders, rather an addition. Another extremely crash and heat resistant memory capsule will still be needed. But the old-fashioned system with separate CVR and FDR is over. We are talking memory capsules containing all relevant data.

Nothing new. Nothing rocket science either. But it costs money. Airlines will equip their planes when the regulators demand it. Or when insurance companies must pay the searches, and they consequently apply different insurance fees on differently equipped planes.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs
 
glideslope900
Topic Author
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:03 am

StarAC17 wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
The Titanic was found 73 years after it sank. The necessary technology didn’t exist at the time. I think MH370 will be a similar story. Its discovery will no doubt make big news sometime in the future. Maybe even after we’re all gone.


I would concur with this view. The current technology is not sufficient to locate the aircraft. Perhaps within the next 20-30 years the necessary technology will be in place.


It could happen sometime soon or in decades. It depends on the efforts of people looking for it and the funding they get.

The titanic took 73 years but would have probably been a lot quicker given today's technology vs 1985. AF 447 took two years to find and they had a good idea within days where that went down.

I believe civilian technology in insufficient to find the wreck but I think it more that plausible that the US, China, Russia and even some other countries have military or intelligence technology that is highly classified but revealing where the wreck is would reveal their technology. Granted you would think that the US military couldn't have figured out how to tip off the Australian Navy anonymously.

flyingphil wrote:
The transponder on MH370 stopped working so maybe the plug was pulled on the Cockpit Voice Recorder too?
If the wreck was discovered it would bring some closure to the relatives, but would it explain why it went off course and crashed?
Looks like it will remain a mystery..

Also makes me wonder why they don’t design the ‘black boxes’ to float.


The transponder was turned off, something flight crews can do in certain circumstances if there was say a fire. However the times the transponders were turned off intentionally (depending on what you believe happened here) have been for bad reasons. This and 9/11, plus I am sure there are other instances. I do not think the black boxes can be disconnected because in the event of a dicey landing what is to stop a pilot from turning them off to not prove if there was pilot error if an accident happened. Granted I am sure there are safeguards for this.

You could make the black boxes float but still now your are looking for a something the size of a toaster in the ocean. There are a few issues with that is that it will be surrounded with other materials that will sink and if trapped it won't float to the surface
Also if it were to escape I would deem it likely that a shark, whale or other marine animal eats the thing by accident.

IIRC some of the solutions to prevent missing planes have been rejected because of costs. Those being uploading the flight data and voice recorders to the cloud and ensure that each plane is tracked via GPS. I can understand RADAR not being implemented over uninhabited regions or over the oceans but GPS is designed for global use and it can't be that expensive considering a 777 runs an airline 9 figures.



Actually there are circuit breakers that can be pulled to deactivate the CVR/FDR.

I could see a great white or killer whale going for a black box...it would be a shock for the animal.
 
User avatar
mmx747
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:21 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:17 am

unrave wrote:
Somebody will stumble upon the wreckage a few decades into the future and the James Cameron of that time will make a Hollywood movie out of it

Gonna be quite the challenge to turn a tragic MH 772 red-eye flight into a romantic thriller, but who knows. :D
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 496
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:21 am

mmx747 wrote:
unrave wrote:
Somebody will stumble upon the wreckage a few decades into the future and the James Cameron of that time will make a Hollywood movie out of it

Gonna be quite the challenge to turn a tragic MH 772 red-eye flight into a romantic thriller, but who knows. :D


If anything, they’ll turn it into a B movie. Hollywood loves their B aviation movies. Realistically, I can’t see how MH370 could translate onto the screen successfully. UA93 is a great film though, so who’s knows.
 
StarAC17
Posts: 3644
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:47 pm

747megatop wrote:
marktci wrote:
FabienA380 wrote:
I'm believing in the Diego Garcia theory. Why nobody at all is speaking about it on a.net? From what I think, many highly ranked people from a few countries incl.USA would know something. When you see the Malaysian Interior minister speak during his interview a few years ago, you feel he lies as he breathes. He'd not be the only one.


Really curious as to how you think this was achieved. A 777 that just about everyone in the world is looking for lands on an island inhabited by both UK and US military personnel and no one notices or blows the whistle? No communication has come from the 239 passengers and crew in the interim five years, either directly or through military personnel being moved on and off the island? Or were they all executed? And then the architects of this plot took pieces from the plane and planted them on various pieces of coastline around the Indian Ocean to possibly be discovered?

Well; whoever was doing this invented a top secret stealth coating for the T7 that makes it invisible. Didn't you get the memo? Then they used unmanned invisible drones to move pieces of the wreckage to various spot for people to find. The reason nobody saw anything on Diego Garcia is because the same technology that made the T7 invisible made the people also invisible & shut off all electronic devices & communications and have since been enclose by a permanent invisible wall because of which they can't interact with anybody on Diego Garcia. :biggrin:


The only one who would remotely believe this is Donald Trump. He if course things stealth technology renders an aircraft invisible. :stirthepot: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!
 
User avatar
Carlos01
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:52 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:34 pm

mmx747 wrote:
unrave wrote:
Somebody will stumble upon the wreckage a few decades into the future and the James Cameron of that time will make a Hollywood movie out of it

Gonna be quite the challenge to turn a tragic MH 772 red-eye flight into a romantic thriller, but who knows. :D


Well, they did manage to turn the agonizing pain, suffering, sorrow and death of 1500 people into a romantic adventure movie, so I don't see why the agonizing pain, suffering, sorrow and death of 239 would be any more challenging. It could be even something like Bonny&Clyde reborn in Natural Born Killers 2 or Speed 3. Or maybe even the old Rose Dewitt-Bukater decides to have the last thrill of her life with an Asian flight captain (who has a thing for older women) - in a Cambodian jungle!

Seriously, I'm getting tired in all this BS around the MH370. I think it's pretty obviously not where currently presumed, but could be off even by hundreds or thousands of nm. Wherever that is, I seriously hope they'll find it - rather sooner than later.
 
User avatar
DL757NYC
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:07 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:01 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
This event is the biggest aviation mystery of all time. Discussion has died out due to no new evidence/decelopments. However, pieces of the aircraft have been found, so we know that it didn’t “land at a secret air base.” Obviously it is somewhere in the SIO.

I am of the belief that it was a rogue criminal action by the Captain. Please don’t attack me for this viewpoint, as it can not be ruled out at this time. I just don’t see how the aircraft can have a fire big enough to knock out all systems/transpodner yet strangely change course/altitude and fly on autopilot in the opposite direction for another 6 hours. This theory is supported by what was found on Zahari’s home simulator.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2016/07/ ... lator.html

Complicating things is the now questionable accuracy of the inmarsat data. If this data was not accurate, the search may have been conducted in the wrong area. This is a colossal waste of money, time, and resources.

I think as we approach the 5 year mark, it would be appropriate to have a fresh discussion on this topic. I am open to any new theories...but please, no emotional posts. Lets stick to the facts.



We have the technology to find it. I just think they are searching the wrong place. I feel the plane flew further without power. As opposed to a nosedive. It’s just a matter of someone putting up the money it takes to find it.
 
FlyingLaw1
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:05 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:02 pm

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
From what I’ve heard, the Captain has blood on his hands. I just hope that the passengers didn’t suffer and that the black boxes will be found. That crash hit home for me. I arrived in PEK on March 8th from Frankfurt on LH720 and saw the ominous sign that said MH370 — KUALA LUMPUR — 6:30AM — DELAYED, and relatives crying. I’ll never forget that sight.

Image


I can’t even imagine what that must have been like.

I arrived in AMS 2 days after MH17. Seeing reporters everywhere was something I wasn’t prepared for. At the time people had started to place flowers out side the departure hall that the flight used. When I came back to depart 5 days later the line of flowers was all the way down the front of the departures hall and was at least 10 feet deep. I will never forget seeing the flowers and watching people place them and have a moment.
 
User avatar
777Jet
Posts: 6972
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:12 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Well I'm gonna chime in here... Yes it was a tragedy. However, I don't want any more of my AU tax dollars going to this.


Likewise.

The dodgy Malaysian Government, who withheld information from the beginning, should be fully funding the search for their lost plane.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
p51tang
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:51 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:28 am

 
bob75013
Posts: 817
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Yet another "expert" says the pilot did it

https://www.foxnews.com/world/malaysia- ... rt-reveals
 
blockski
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:11 pm

bob75013 wrote:
Yet another "expert" says the pilot did it

https://www.foxnews.com/world/malaysia- ... rt-reveals


That article is citing this much longer piece in The Atlantic; it's worth a read: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... es/590653/

The main point of the article is that the Captain's social background was a lot more volatile that authorities wanted to share; he was likely dealing with depression and social isolation. The disappearance was clearly a deliberate act, not an accident. The article also likely goes into the likely moments when the cabin was depressurized to incapacitate the passengers and crew, as well as the fact that the Captain had a very similar routing flown on his computer.
 
AC77X
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:12 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:44 pm

I read somewhere that Flight 370 may be largely intact, that would explain why we can't find it. It is possible that only small parts of the plane have been found because the 777 is mostly intact somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, hence without knowing a more specific location, we can't really find it at all. If it had fragmented on impact, we would be finding more "random" pieces, no?
 
NWAESC
Posts: 998
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:52 pm

Speaking of which, where's Mitch Casado been hiding?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
trnswrld
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat May 22, 1999 2:19 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:11 pm

CARST wrote:
IAmGaroott wrote:
Someone get that Paul Allen ship that’s locating all of the lost WWII wrecks on it.

I hate to speculate or stir up conspiracies. But given the solid evidence of recovered flaperons and my unqualified expertise from watching pretty much every air crash documentary. I’d say MH370 is in mostly big pieces, if not one. :twocents: :geek: :old:


1) I'm no expert and also I'm not sure, but isn't the Paul Allen ship layed out for shallow ocean waters? I think they found most wrecks in the Coral Sea where the big fights between the Japanese and US forces in WW2 happened.

2) Look at the crash photos from the recent Atlas Air 767 crash near houston. You basically see an aircraft ripped apart totally. But still, single peaces seem to have come off intact while the aircraft hit the shallow lake nosedown. I think every crash investigator would tell you that you can not plan how such big objects disintegrate. Also the recent crash (emergency landing in the ocean) near Opa Locka shows that even a ditch in the ocean can result in the aircratf being ripped apart. An ocean, even on a quiet day, is not the Hudson river. I think since the "landing on the Hudson" everyone on Anet has wrong assumptions about ditching a jet aircraft on a water surface.


Decades ago a couple year old DC-9 ran out of fuel from JFK to SXM and successfully ditched in the ocean about 30 miles out of St Croix I think it was. They say the weather was very poor with large swells. They said the aircraft came to a rest mostly intact then sank shortly after. There were fatalities, but they blamed a lot of them on the cabin crew and passengers having no clue what was happening and a good amount of people standing or not even buckled in. So a successful ocean ditching in poor weather has already been proven possible. This particular aircraft was never recovered.
 
User avatar
United787
Posts: 2841
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 12:20 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:33 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALM_Flight_980

Amazing I never heard of that flight. Looks like ocean landings are possible, to some degree...
 
ltbewr
Posts: 14171
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:52 pm

Sadly the loss of MH570 continues 5 years later. It still generates wild speculation, conspiracy theories, ideas to try to better and more frequently track aircraft in flight or prevent an intentional act to destroy a plane. There were serious flaws and lapses in the watching of flying aircraft by governmental and military authorities that if caught sooner, meant better monitoring of the rest of its flight. For sure the Malaysian government wanted to hide their mistakes and corruption. I am surprised China hasn't been more involved in the search of the remains but there may be political and security reasons for that. Let us hope someday by luck or diligence, some of the remains of MH570 are found, in particular the 'black boxes' to finally end this mystery.
 
IAmGaroott
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:04 pm

AC77X wrote:
I read somewhere that Flight 370 may be largely intact, that would explain why we can't find it. It is possible that only small parts of the plane have been found because the 777 is mostly intact somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, hence without knowing a more specific location, we can't really find it at all. If it had fragmented on impact, we would be finding more "random" pieces, no?


I would say its landing was very similar to the ditching of Pan Am flight 6. The tail most likely broke off (counting for the found luggage and the bezel from the IFE). It would have opened the ac up causing it to sink quickly, but still in large pieces, which would account for the lack of major wreckage.
 
AC77X
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:12 am

Re: 5 Years Later, When Will They Find MH370?

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 am

IAmGaroott wrote:
AC77X wrote:
I read somewhere that Flight 370 may be largely intact, that would explain why we can't find it. It is possible that only small parts of the plane have been found because the 777 is mostly intact somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, hence without knowing a more specific location, we can't really find it at all. If it had fragmented on impact, we would be finding more "random" pieces, no?


I would say its landing was very similar to the ditching of Pan Am flight 6. The tail most likely broke off (counting for the found luggage and the bezel from the IFE). It would have opened the ac up causing it to sink quickly, but still in large pieces, which would account for the lack of major wreckage.

That sound reasonable. I've also heard that it may have made a successful ditching at first, but then flipped upside down seconds later and came to rest inverted. I can't really imagine a plane just flipping over with the tail going over the nose, so they must mean the wings rolling to one side.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos