Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chonetsao

Re: AA Considering A Return to India + Africa Routes

Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:47 pm

evanb wrote:
747megatop wrote:
JFK is the least distance. AA is better off doing JFK-JNB; will get a lot of business traffic from the financial capital of the word; lots of O&D traffic + easy connections to the rest of USA since it is an AA hub with connections to all over US & Canada.

And competing with SA and UA (EWR-CPT) from JFK. JFK may well be a hub, but will only offer connections to 27 destinations in the US and Canada, while MIA, for example, will offer 62. If they need connections, then JFK is not the hub for AA. It's why AA offer significant fewer long haul destinations from JFK (about 9) than its other hubs (for example, PHL has 17).

If there is any US cities that can support 3 or more international carriers competing in the same long haul route, NYC and LAX must be two of them.

vadodara

Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:45 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
AA said they want to build a gateway to India. I just don't see that being DFW. The only city AA could fly without using specialized equipment is DEL as BOM and BLR are out of reach from DFW. It does not make sense either for AA to fly from its hubs (DFW, LAX, ORD, etc...) to DEL since they have no natural partner there to provide connectivity. PHL might not be the best O&D choice, but if you wanted to build a gateway to connect to cities like BOM and BLR (after DEL) then it is all AA has.

UA has certainly maintained EWR-DEL and BOM for many years. Inspite of that success, havent extended it to ORD.

Seems like for AA then PHL might be the only choice.

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:59 pm

747megatop wrote:
evanb wrote:
747megatop wrote:
JFK is the least distance. AA is better off doing JFK-JNB; will get a lot of business traffic from the financial capital of the word; lots of O&D traffic + easy connections to the rest of USA since it is an AA hub with connections to all over US & Canada.

I wouldn't call AA's operation a hub. It is basically an O&D station with flights to key business markets. It's not a connection point any longer. Doubt AA would fly JFK-JNB. It's a long and thin route and SAA have it.

And competing with SA and UA (EWR-CPT) from JFK. JFK may well be a hub, but will only offer connections to 27 destinations in the US and Canada, while MIA, for example, will offer 62. If they need connections, then JFK is not the hub for AA. It's why AA offer significant fewer long haul destinations from JFK (about 9) than its other hubs (for example, PHL has 17).

Good point(s). Didn't think of the points you raised. But, isn't JFK, the financial capital of the world a good enough reason alone to start JNB flights from? After all, JFK is a big business/financial destination and a big melting pot of cultures; one would think they can have a significant O&D load and the rest filled up by the 27 connections that you mentioned.

Detroit313

Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:38 pm

Whatever they add at DFW will make money. India would make money. DFW is gold.

aemoreira1981

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:13 am

Detroit313 wrote:

That would essentially tie up 2-3 B77Ws on one route if from DFW, as that's the only plane that could potentially do DFW-BOM, but I could see a row in Y blocked on the return to the USA. Plus, oneworld partners such as AA and BA tend to leverage their networks with each other. Better to route through LHR.

w3gar

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:52 am

kotoka wrote:
DFW-ACC-LOS would be nice!

I can see it work, considering the sizable African community throughout both Dallas and Ft Worth.

acentauri

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:29 am

vadodara wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:
AA said they want to build a gateway to India. I just don't see that being DFW. …………….. PHL might not be the best O&D choice, but if you wanted to build a gateway to connect to cities like BOM and BLR (after DEL) then it is all AA has.

UA has certainly maintained EWR-DEL and BOM for many years. Inspite of that success, havent extended it to ORD.

What would even be the advantage of DFW-BOM, versus PHL, which is 800nm closer to support connecting traffic and arguably could offer more O&D from the PHL/NYC overlapped catchments, which includes big Indian NJ. Philadelphia has about the same number of Asian Indians as Dallas and Houston. UA's EWR advantage over AA is of course their SA relationship with AI.

vadodara

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:08 pm

acentauri wrote:
Philadelphia has about the same number of Asian Indians as Dallas and Houston. UA's EWR advantage over AA is of course their SA relationship with AI.

I would not discount the Asian Indians as a market in Dallas or Houston; however, having said that AA has a catchment area out of S Jersey plus ability to funnel pax at PHL.

UA at EWR has the same advantage; no advantage of STAR relationship except perhaps to have some connecting flights out of DEL/BOM.

MIflyer12

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:33 pm

Detroit313 wrote:

DFW isn't a logical connecting hub for U.S. traffic to India. It's farther away - and in ULH flying, marginal distances matter - than NYC, ORD, SFO, and LAX. So AA really would need O&D and a good hub premium to make it work.

LAXdude1023

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:34 pm

acentauri wrote:
vadodara wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:
AA said they want to build a gateway to India. I just don't see that being DFW. …………….. PHL might not be the best O&D choice, but if you wanted to build a gateway to connect to cities like BOM and BLR (after DEL) then it is all AA has.

What would even be the advantage of DFW-BOM, versus PHL, which is 800nm closer to support connecting traffic and arguably could offer more O&D from the PHL/NYC overlapped catchments, which includes big Indian NJ. Philadelphia has about the same number of Asian Indians as Dallas and Houston. UA's EWR advantage over AA is of course their SA relationship with AI.

DFW has more O&D to India than Houston or Philly. Also, it is incorrect to say Philly has the same number of Indians as Dallas. It has about the same number of Indians as Houston. As of 2017, the Indian populations for the three is below:

Dallas: 186,289
Houston: 148,093
Philadelphia: 144,172

PHL may be a better place to launch an India flight but the statements about the demographics (from DFW anyway) was inaccurate.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

LAXdude1023

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:36 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

DFW isn't a logical connecting hub for U.S. traffic to India. It's farther away - and in ULH flying, marginal distances matter - than NYC, ORD, SFO, and LAX. So AA really would need O&D and a good hub premium to make it work.

DFW-India has an O&D of 700 daily. Thats pretty sizable Id say. Its centered around South India though.

vadodara

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:19 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
acentauri wrote:
vadodara wrote:

DFW has more O&D to India than Houston or Philly. Also, it is incorrect to say Philly has the same number of Indians as Dallas. It has about the same number of Indians as Houston. As of 2017, the Indian populations for the three is below:

PHL may be a better place to launch an India flight but the statements about the demographics (from DFW anyway) was inaccurate.

I dont think Philadelphia 'city' was referenced here; it was S Jersey. One could also add parts of Maryland, Delaware and Virginia. I doubt Dallas even comes close.

LAXdude1023

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:21 pm

vadodara wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
acentauri wrote:

I dont think Philadelphia 'city' was referenced here; it was S Jersey. One could also add parts of Maryland, Delaware and Virginia. I doubt Dallas even comes close.

The numbers posted are the Philly metro area not just the city. They include south Jersey and northern Delaware. It’s apples to apples and Dallas is bigger

usairways85

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:25 pm

The Indian population around NJ is probably focused between Princeton and Edison which is closer to EWR.

vadodara

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:29 pm

2015 Numbers
Metro area Indian population
New York 666,000
Washington, DC 158,000
Dallas-Fort Worth 145,000
Houston 125,000
Philadelphia 108,000

LAXdude1023

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:35 pm

vadodara wrote:
2015 Numbers
New York 666,000
Washington, DC 158,000
Houston 125,000
Philadelphia 108,000

The numbers I posted were from 2017 but the ranking is the same so what’s your point?

vadodara

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:50 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
vadodara wrote:
2015 Numbers
New York 666,000
Washington, DC 158,000
Houston 125,000
Philadelphia 108,000

The numbers I posted were from 2017 but the ranking is the same so what’s your point?

NY + DC + PHL >> Texas

UA has maintained non-stop's from EWR to both DEL & BOM. Perhaps, there is some correlation.

LAXdude1023

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 pm

vadodara wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
vadodara wrote:
2015 Numbers
New York 666,000
Washington, DC 158,000
Houston 125,000
Philadelphia 108,000

NY + DC + PHL >> Texas

UA has maintained non-stop's from EWR to both DEL & BOM. Perhaps, there is some correlation.

NY + DC + PHL is not Metro Philadelphia. That was never the point and their mention is out from left field. I never argued that AA should enter India from PHL or DFW. Just that the Indian population is bigger in Dallas than Philadelphia by metro area and it absolutely is.

Coexstud

Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:12 am

evank516 wrote:
So with AA considering it, Delta allegedly planning it, and UA already on it, this means all of the US3 may soon have a presence in India.

Yonited in thanks to Continental already fly many people each and everyday to the USA everyday with deli belly me thinks.

SATexan

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:14 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
DFW-India has an O&D of 700 daily. Thats pretty sizable Id say. Its centered around South India though.

I assume 700 is two-way number. Am I right?

LAXdude1023

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:51 pm

SATexan wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

I assume 700 is two-way number. Am I right?

Yes.

myki

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:56 pm

Detroit313 wrote:

India isn't always gold, though.

Remember, any airline can fill a plane when they sell a seat for $1. Popular? Yes. Profitable? Hell no. Yes there is tech in India, but also lots (and LOTS) of VFR traffic. Non-stop. One-stop. Two-stops. Whatever is cheapest.

910A

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:11 pm

chonetsao wrote:
If there is any US cities that can support 3 or more international carriers competing in the same long haul route, NYC and LAX must be two of them.

I consider UA a major international carrier
SFO currently has UA, SQ, CX, HX, flying to HKG, (although HX is calling it quits)
ICN - UA, OZ, KE
LHR - UA, BA, VS
TPE - UA, BR, CI
TYO - UA, JL, NH

Those are just some to come to mind.

silentbob

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:46 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
vadodara wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

NY + DC + PHL >> Texas

NY + DC + PHL is not Metro Philadelphia. That was never the point and their mention is out from left field. I never argued that AA should enter India from PHL or DFW. Just that the Indian population is bigger in Dallas than Philadelphia by metro area and it absolutely is.

While I don't disagree with your point, one thing to consider is that those three metro areas overlap quite a bit. It's entirely possible to be in the NYC or DC metro statistics, but closer to PHL in terms of mileage or drive time. I agree that it's unlikely to have someone drive from NYC or DC to PHL, but the total metro area is a different story. You can't always compare the east coast to more isolated cities, like Dallas. The knock against DFW being the connecting point in my mind is that anyone on the East coast would have to backtrack a few hours in order to connect and that is incredibly unlikely, unless they are dramatically cheaper.

LAXdude1023

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:19 pm

silentbob wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
vadodara wrote:

NY + DC + PHL >> Texas

While I don't disagree with your point, one thing to consider is that those three metro areas overlap quite a bit. It's entirely possible to be in the NYC or DC metro statistics, but closer to PHL in terms of mileage or drive time. I agree that it's unlikely to have someone drive from NYC or DC to PHL, but the total metro area is a different story. You can't always compare the east coast to more isolated cities, like Dallas. The knock against DFW being the connecting point in my mind is that anyone on the East coast would have to backtrack a few hours in order to connect and that is incredibly unlikely, unless they are dramatically cheaper.

Thats fair. I wasnt talking about where would be better to launch a flight from, but rather the demographics of the metro areas.

BTW the 2018 numbers came out. DFW is at 210k (trailing Chicago by only 20k now), Houston is at 160k, and Philly is at 150k.

vadodara

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:45 pm

Regardless of what we consider a metro area, it is quiet apparent that AA is clubbing all its European flights to PHL. Even flights that previously opereated out of CLT (US Air era) seem to be shifted to PHL.

Given PHL and not say ORD, it appears that DFW may be a longer shot for a long shot India flight.

FSDan

Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:38 am

vadodara wrote:
Regardless of what we consider a metro area, it is quiet apparent that AA is clubbing all its European flights to PHL. Even flights that previously opereated out of CLT (US Air era) seem to be shifted to PHL.

This is inaccurate. AA actually recently cut PHL-MUC and moved it to CLT-MUC. Can't think of any flights that have moved the other direction... There are a few routes like CLT-LIS that were operated in the summer for one year and then cut, but those were operated continuously from PHL both before and after the attempted CLT service and therefore don't constitute moving a flight from CLT to PHL.

It's true that there have been a few routes moved from NYC to PHL (EDI, ZRH) and one this summer that will move from DFW to PHL (KEF). Other than that, most of the increase in transatlantic flying from PHL the last few years has been to entirely new destinations (CMN, AMS, TXL, BLQ, PRG, BUD, DBV). At the same time, AA has been reinforcing their transatlantic network from other hubs by adding the likes of PHX-LHR, DFW-DUB/AMS/MUC, and ORD-BCN/VCE/PRG/BUD/ATH. Most of those destinations are already served from PHL and are having additional hub connections added.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

stl07

Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:05 am

myki wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

India isn't always gold, though.

Remember, any airline can fill a plane when they sell a seat for $1. Popular? Yes. Profitable? Hell no. Yes there is tech in India, but also lots (and LOTS) of VFR traffic. Non-stop. One-stop. Two-stops. Whatever is cheapest.

I'm thinking of a beach trip in India right now from the US and I have been looking at and seriously considering 3 and even 4 stop flights. Spending the day in the UAE and another in Europe and even a US hub all while saving money is a very attractive proposition.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

TheKennady2

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:44 am

ORD-DEL or ORD-BOM could work on a 789. I dont see any other AA hub that could offer as many connections domestically to India, besides DFW and Maybe PHL, India-NYC Is Already well served, DFW would be a longer stage length and a backtrack for most, ORD could support another India route.

chepos

Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:06 pm

vadodara wrote:

Given PHL and not say ORD, it appears that DFW may be a longer shot for a long shot India flight.

What TA flights did US operate at CLT that AA moved to PHL? As was mentioned, when US added CLT-MAN/LIS/BRU/BCN in 2014 they already operated these from PHL. All got cut from CLT except for BCN (but not moved). Since then AA actually moved MUC to CLT from PHL while it cut FRA from PHL (CLT maintains service - with next S20 up gauging to the 333).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Ishrion

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:22 pm

So... I don’t think anyone here considered Seattle to Bangalore...

Looks like the consideration’s now complete. Casablanca and Bangalore.

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:28 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Yep! Wondering if this is all the beginning of much deeper partnership between AA and AS and a potential merger down the road?

UpNAWAy

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:24 pm

I think these are both just toe holes to those areas. AA wants to fly to more places in both, aircraft are the main limitation at this time.

Delta28L

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Yep! Wondering if this is all the beginning of much deeper partnership between AA and AS and a potential merger down the road?

They would have to give up a lot to obtain approval in the form of slots at certain airports and other conditions.

dfw88

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:23 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
I think these are both just toe holes to those areas. AA wants to fly to more places in both, aircraft are the main limitation at this time.

I think you're right. Especially with the new RAM partnership in Morocco, AA can see how many passengers they feed through CMN to other points in West Africa, then decide which of these make the most sense to fly with their own metal. They won't have quite the breadth of data that they have with their transatlantic JV, which is what has led to their more interesting European adds, but they'll still have a much better idea of where their passengers want to go. Should be just the start!

edealinfo

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 pm

Wow, 5 pages of long threads and everyone got it wrong. Who would have thought of a Bangalore BLR to Seattle direct flight? Could AA have started the route without the partnership with Alaska?

wenders825

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:18 am

Raja makes it clear AA still wants a good "India network" which makes me wonder if DEL/BOM are still in the pipeline too. I would be surprised if those didn't come from PHL. BLR, insanely, makes more sense from SEA, as you know there are surely some sort of revenue guarantees or corporate contracts in play here

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos