kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 3/19: Marching skyward

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Good evening folks and welcome to our March thread ... and the Summer is nearly upon us - lots of nice aircraft to look forward to!

Here's a quick precis of February:
- Punctuality up at ORK, down at SNN.
- FR records Q3 loss, MOL to stay five years - and new routes announced. also introduces new FFP scheme
- Hainan inaugurates DUB-Shenzhen
- Connect air completes purchase of Flybe/Stobart
- BA 744 in BOAC colours rolls out - a beauty. Second 744 at DUB for repainting, plus 319 for repainting in BEA colours
- Stobart E-190/195s operating DUB-AMS for KLM
- Air Baltic announces 4w A220 service to DUB
- Work finally gets under way on new runway at DUB
- Possible trouble ahead for Aer Lingus/ASL 757 wet lease arrangement, as US puts pressure on EU to follow agreement reached on wet lease deal.

Here's a link to the last thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1414629

OA260

Re: Irish 3/19: Marching skyward

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks for a new thread Kaitak.

Does anyone have a photo of the old approach to DUB T1. There was a check point next to a house IIRC. What was the history behind the house.

LH982

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:52 pm

OA260 wrote:

Does anyone have a photo of the old approach to DUB T1. There was a check point next to a house IIRC. What was the history behind the house.

Just do a search for Corballis House. Lots of pictures on the net

OA260

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:19 pm

LH982 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Just do a search for Corballis House. Lots of pictures on the net

Thanks for that was just missing the name. Someone said it was Collinstown house to which I knew it was not that one.

Did find an article on Corballis just now from 2006.

Corballis House set to be demolished

THE green light for Dublin Airports second terminal means the destruction of a 19th century house that has become an airport landmark.Corballis House is a protected structure and dates back to the late 18th or early 19th century and is on Fingal County Councils Register of Protected Structures and is listed on the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage.Desp
THE green light for Dublin Airport’s second terminal means the destruction of a 19th century house that has become an airport landmark.

Corballis House is a protected structure and dates back to the late 18th or early 19th century and is on Fingal County Council’s Register of Protected Structures and is listed on the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage.

Despite its ‘protected’ status, Fingal council has agreed to its demolition, subject to its proper archaeological and historical recording.

The airport landmark lies within the footprint of the new development and the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) has decided it should be demolished to make way for progress.

The planning application states that the design team engaged by the DAA on the T2 project considered incorporating Corballis House into the project but decided the option was ‘not viable’.

www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalinde ... 67426.html

ELBOB

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Yep, made a mockery of Protected status. Why bother? But typical of everything around development of Dublin airport, which usurps all other priorities.

SNN99

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:20 pm

Shannon Airport has announced that its first ever scheduled Lufthansa service is to have its capacity doubled this year with a second weekly service to Frankfurt.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 07713.html

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:18 pm

I was in Corballis House a few times; it was used as a technical centre for EI and they used to do classroom work for engineers and others in the various rooms. (I wasn't one of those doing a class - i was only a teenager back then!). It was a fine building from the outside, but simply out of place in the environs of an international airport.

I also remember the checkpoints, which I presume started after the bombing in 1974 or '75. I do recall that for many years, probably until the Good Friday agreement in '96, they used to scan your bag as you came into the terminal.

OA260

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:34 pm

Aer Lingus evaluating 15 destinations for new North American routes

Irish airline recorded record operating profit of €305m in 2018

Aer Lingus is evaluating over 15 North American routes to which it could fly within the next five years as it invests in its fleet.

On a call with reporters, Aer Lingus’s new chief executive Sean Doyle said the airline has an “extensive evaluation process going on now” to look at opportunities for new aircraft it is waiting to be delivered.

“We’re evaluating north of 15 [routes] at the moment, and that will increase with the range capability of the technology that’s coming our way,” he said.

As to how many markets the carrier, owned by IAG, will enter depends on “how attractive a deal we can negotiate to enter those markets”, Mr Doyle added.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.3809575

SURFER

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:58 pm

http://clareherald.com/2019/02/lufthans ... ice-31919/

LH adding a second weekly service on SNN-FRA for the summer season.

In terms of the punctuality in SNN last year it seems all charter, tech stop and corporate traffic was included in these stats which resulted in a low score.

EI564

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:03 pm

ELBOB wrote:
Yep, made a mockery of Protected status. Why bother? But typical of everything around development of Dublin airport, which usurps all other priorities.

Hmm. I would have thought the main gateway into the country was reasonably important? Compared to an old house anyhow?

AmricanShamrok

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 pm

OA260 wrote:

Aer Lingus is evaluating over 15 North American routes to which it could fly within the next five years as it invests in its fleet.

On a call with reporters, Aer Lingus’s new chief executive Sean Doyle said the airline has an “extensive evaluation process going on now” to look at opportunities for new aircraft it is waiting to be delivered.

“We’re evaluating north of 15 [routes] at the moment, and that will increase with the range capability of the technology that’s coming our way,” he said.

As to how many markets the carrier, owned by IAG, will enter depends on “how attractive a deal we can negotiate to enter those markets”, Mr Doyle added.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.3809575

In no particular order (looking at the EI orders for the next few years), my guesses of the routes being looked at:
DUB-LAS 330
DUB-CUN 330
DUB-DEN 330
DUB-YVR 330
DUB-IAH 330
DUB-PHX 330
DUB-SAN 330
DUB-BNA 321
DUB-PIT 321
DUB-CLE 321
DUB-CVG 321
DUB-YYC 321
DUB-DTW 321
SNN-ORD 321
SNN-MCO 321

shamrock350

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:55 pm

Aer Lingus will also receive two more A330s within the year, this was confirmed by the director of fleet planning during the brand reveal and more recent information indicates the first will be delivered late this year followed by the second arriving early next year. Both are expected to be new build A333s from Airbus.

The first Avro to receive the new livery has flown to Rome where it will be painted in IAC's facility down there, it's due back late next week. The repainting schedule seems to have stalled recently, still just four birds in the new livery, possibly because IAC has its hands full with the British Airways retrojets?

alancostello

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:26 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

In no particular order (looking at the EI orders for the next few years), my guesses of the routes being looked at:
DUB-LAS 330
DUB-CUN 330
DUB-DEN 330
DUB-YVR 330
DUB-IAH 330
DUB-PHX 330
DUB-SAN 330
DUB-BNA 321
DUB-PIT 321
DUB-CLE 321
DUB-CVG 321
DUB-YYC 321
DUB-DTW 321
SNN-ORD 321
SNN-MCO 321

I would personally love if DUB-SBN got added in, big Irish link with Notre Dame, and SBN has been talking about offering incentives. If/when the joint venture is approved I think you'll see EI on DUB-CLT too,

OA260

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:21 pm

Shannon Airport Reflects As Concorde Anniversary Celebrated

The 50th anniversary of the first Concorde flight is being marked today.

The high-speed planes had a long association with Shannon Airport, having first come to the Midwest facility for training exercises in 1977, with the last planes leaving here in 2001, just before the retirement of the programme two years later.

http://www.clare.fm/news/shannon-airpor ... elebrated/

LAXffDUB

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:18 pm

If anybody could offer some travel advice it would be greatly appreciated!

I'm flying LAX/ LHR this spring with VS. I'm considering a trip to DUB as well by connecting upon arrival with EI, though on a separate ticket. I have connected many times before at LHR and familiar with the routine. But I'm a little worried about doing it this manner as they are not travel/alliance partners. How much time should I allow for a leisurely connection; maybe even enough to freshen up in one of the lounges? Also, can I get VS to check luggage through to DUB with EI despite the different reservation?

I called VS and EI with my questions and didn't have much luck. One agent at VS told me the best way to proceed is exit T3 upon arrival with my luggage, make my way to T2 and check-in anew there. I'm willing to do that but my preference would be to stay airside and hope for a smoother experience. An agent at EI just chided me on the risks of doing it at all, which I understand and am willing to take.

Thanks!

OA260

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:28 pm

LAXffDUB wrote:

I'm flying LAX/ LHR this spring with VS. I'm considering a trip to DUB as well by connecting upon arrival with EI, though on a separate ticket. I have connected many times before at LHR and familiar with the routine. But I'm a little worried about doing it this manner as they are not travel/alliance partners. How much time should I allow for a leisurely connection; maybe even enough to freshen up in one of the lounges? Also, can I get VS to check luggage through to DUB with EI despite the different reservation?

I called VS and EI with my questions and didn't have much luck. One agent at VS told me the best way to proceed is exit T3 upon arrival with my luggage, make my way to T2 and check-in anew there. I'm willing to do that but my preference would be to stay airside and hope for a smoother experience. An agent at EI just chided me on the risks of doing it at all, which I understand and am willing to take.

Thanks!

I have done this type of connection many times over the years and personally I would give myself 4 hours between flights. That will allow some ''freshen up '' time too. VS will not check the bags so discard that option. Collect bags at T3 then walk to T2 which is not that far really. Then just re check with EI. The information VS gave you was 100% correct.

klm617

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:26 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

DUB-LAS 330
DUB-CUN 330
DUB-DEN 330
DUB-YVR 330
DUB-IAH 330
DUB-PHX 330
DUB-SAN 330
DUB-BNA 321
DUB-PIT 321
DUB-CLE 321
DUB-CVG 321
DUB-YYC 321
DUB-DTW 321
SNN-ORD 321
SNN-MCO 321

I wouldn't expect Aer Lingus in Detroit anytime soon with their CEO putting this statement out and the WCAA being unwilling to put any kind of respectable incentive package together Aer Lingus landing in Detroit is just a pipe dream even though there is tremendous potential for a DTW-DUB route.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:49 am

DL could surely dip its toe in the water with a 757 service.

klm617

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:09 pm

kaitak wrote:

We really don't want Delta on the route because it's really more of the same over priced flights out of a captive market. The ideal addition would be EI and that would give Detroiters great affordable service via Dublin to all of the British Isles as most connections other than MAN, EDI and LHR require a out of the way connection adding in some cases and extra 2 to 3 hours flying time to get there.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

BrianDromey

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:32 pm

kaitak wrote:

If it was an attractive market, wouldn't they have been there already? In the end it might be like busses and both EI and DL launch the route in rapid succession.

Great news if EI are to get two new-build A333s. Shame there is still no movement on Short-Haul expansion though.

atcsundevil

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:53 pm

Just a reminder to users that when posting information that doesn't come from you, you are required by forum rules to include a source to your information.

✈️ atcsundevil

shamrock350

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:19 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
kaitak wrote:
Great news if EI are to get two new-build A333s. Shame there is still no movement on Short-Haul expansion though.

Aer Lingus openly states that its success in the transatlantic market is underpinned by a sustainable and profitable short haul network. Judging by the €305m profit last year it appears the European network is doing pretty well for itself but the airline has definitely reached a point that new expansion has to come via additional aircraft but I'm guessing they're reluctant to disturb the balance they've achieved which is why we see things like the ASL Ireland 737-300 at BHD to free up an A320 for DUB and the deal with Cityjet at LCY which essentially handed them the keys to a lucrative route without the need for major investment.

Aer Lingus have maxed out what they can get from 34 A320s and 3 A321s so they'll need to start looking at expanding the fleet again in the coming years while maintaining the profitability they've become used to.

LAXffDUB

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:46 pm

OA260 wrote:
LAXffDUB wrote:

Thanks!

I have done this type of connection many times over the years and personally I would give myself 4 hours between flights. That will allow some ''freshen up '' time too. VS will not check the bags so discard that option. Collect bags at T3 then walk to T2 which is not that far really. Then just re check with EI. The information VS gave you was 100% correct.

Thanks!

OA260

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:04 pm

The weather has caused a number of delays and cancellations at Dublin Airport with some passengers complaining of waiting on the airfield for over three hours.

A spokesperson for Dublin Airport said the runway and airfield remain operational but some aircraft have to be de-iced and this is causing knock-on delays.

Aer Lingus announced that a total of 12 of its flights in and out of Dublin airport were cancelled because of poor weather conditions there and gale force winds in Britain. 

Dublin airport's website shows that airlines had not shown a status update for most of the 76 planes scheduled to depart from mid afternoon until 9pm.

A total of 21 were shown to have taken off while there was no status update for 37 Ryanair flights.

ww.rte.ie/news/weather/2019/0303/1034006-weather/

SgtBarone

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:10 pm

I took this picture today right next to the airport in Cleveland, Ohio. Looks like we might be seeing an announcement from EI soon:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sgt_Barone/s ... 0158299138
AGP ATL BCN BNA BOS CLE CLT DCA DEN FLG FLL FRA IAD IAH JAX LAX LGB MAD MCI MDW MKE MUC PHX RDU RSW SEA SJU SLC SNA TPA

AmricanShamrok

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:19 pm

SgtBarone wrote:
I took this picture today right next to the airport in Cleveland, Ohio. Looks like we might be seeing an announcement from EI soon:

Interesting. Maybe EI is in town for meetings as part of their potential new routes evaluation and CLE is rolling out the red (or green) carpet for them?

klm617

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:09 am

SgtBarone wrote:

My question would be if Cleveland couldn't support two European carriers last year what makes them think they can this year. FI doesn't even fly in there year round from there.

shamrock350

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:28 am

Ryanair getting an absolute mauling via social media tonight after the delays in Dublin.

While the snow affected everyone at the airport, Ryanair appeared to suffer the most with numerous aircraft queuing upon arrival due to departing aircraft awaiting de-icing occupying stands. Ryanair crews reportedly told passengers the airport was unprepared and de-icing teams were caught out by the weather, Dublin Airport has used its Twitter platform to refute those claims, confirming that the runways, taxiways and parking stands were fully operational and that de-icing was the airlines responsibility. Dublin ATC were also very swift in informing Ryanair crews where to place the blame and call their company!

Some passengers have complained of being stuck on aircraft for nearly 4 hours after landing. As of 2am there are still over a dozen aircraft inflight and hundreds of passenger stuck in Dublin.

alancostello

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:22 am

klm617 wrote:
SgtBarone wrote:

My question would be if Cleveland couldn't support two European carriers last year what makes them think they can this year. FI doesn't even fly in there year round from there.

Having just asked friends of mine from Cleveland most didn’t even know about the FI service, and some said they wouldn’t take it even if it was cheaper than alternatives. They did all however say they would fly Aer Lingus if a direct flight came. Anecdotal, but interesting.

Wow Air leaving was likely less to do with Cleveland and more to do with the massive financial issues they have.

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:23 am

Although the city of Cleveland itself has a population of around 388k, the greater Cleveland area has over 2m (and if you want to add Akron, that brings it up to around 3.5) - all with very limited international feed. It would seem to offer great potential for a t/a route.

It's great to see EI having such ambition - and perhaps most importantly, the right tools to do the job. the A321XLR, which EI is known to be looking at, should allow even greater potential for new routes.

OA260

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:36 am

Ryanair's passenger figures fly 9% higher in February

Ryanair has reported a 9% increase in its passenger numbers for February.

The airline said it carried 9.3 million passengers last month, up from 8.6 million the same month last year.

Its load factor - how many seats it fills on each flight - stood at 96%.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0304/1034 ... r-numbers/

—-

Aer Lingus: Vouchers not fit for purpose

Anne McDonald got in touch with a complaint about Aer Lingus gift vouchers.
“I have received two Aer Lingus gift vouchers for €300 and one for €100 for Christmas,” she says. “My father also received a voucher to the value of €100. My sister has recently moved to Ottawa in Canada and these vouchers were given to enable us to visit her.”
The family will not, however, be able to use the vouchers for their intended purpose. “There are no direct flights to Ottawa,” she says. “I usually travel with Aer Lingus to either Toronto or Boston and get a further flight with a partner airline through the Aer Lingus website – usually Air Canada – on to Ottawa,” she says.
When she tried to use the vouchers to do just this she was told “that they cannot be used as the overall trip contains a partner airline.

www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/custom ... 4?mode=amp

OA260

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:06 pm

Passenger flights return to Carlisle airport after 25 years

Scheduled passenger flights are to return to Carlisle Lake District Airport for the first time in more than 25 years, it has been announced.
Scottish-based Loganair will operate routes to Dublin, Belfast and London Southend from 4 July.
Airport owner Stobart Group had planned to relaunch services in June 2018, but faced problems in recruiting air traffic control staff.

www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-47438607

seansasLCY

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:27 pm

From Twitter: ‏

@LondonAirTravel
"Aer Lingus has announced that due to delays in the delivery of aircraft it is to postpone to the launch of Dublin - Montreal from this August to next summer.
The route was due to be operated with an Airbus A321 long-range aircraft."
https://twitter.com/LondonAirTravel/sta ... 6500793348

"Aer Lingus will also temporarily reduce frequencies on routes from Dublin to Hartford, Minneapolis and Philadelphia and from Shannon to New York JFK in July of this year." https://twitter.com/LondonAirTravel/sta ... 4914719745

OA260

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:34 pm

Official announcement here :

Changes to Aer Lingus Summer 2019 Schedule

Media Statement:

Aircraft delivery delays have necessitated Aer Lingus make the following changes to our summer 2019 schedule:

- Postponement of the commencement of the Dublin to Montreal service, due to start on 8th August, to summer 2020

- Temporary reduction in frequency on four transatlantic routes (DUB-PHL, DUB-MSP, DUB-BDL, SNN–JFK) during July

All guests booked to fly on affected flights are being accommodated on alternative flights. Aer Lingus wishes to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Ends/

https://mediacentre.aerlingus.com/news/ ... e?ref=Home

shamrock350

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:12 pm

That’s going to be painful. I’m guessing this is an Airbus issue, the press release doesn’t give an exact reason.

OA260

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:18 pm

Certainly is and seems to be an Airbus delay. Disappointing about YUL but seems to be beyond Aer Lingus control.

wexfordflyer

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Perhaps a stupid question - but this isn't in any way related to the US restrictions on wet leases, is it?
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

OA260

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:12 pm

Delayed delivery of Aer Lingus aircraft to impact thousands of passengers
Aircraft delays have forced the airline to postpone a new Montreal service and reduce summer flights

''To date, much of its transatlantic growth has been based on wide-body Airbus A330s, but it expected to take delivery of four Airbus A321LRs this year.

Those aircraft have now been delayed, a spokesperson told the Irish Independent.

"We are still expecting the first two aircraft to be ready for commercial operation in late summer, with the other two scheduled to arrive later in 2019."

www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-n ... 76736.html

JAmie2k9

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:26 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:
Perhaps a stupid question - but this isn't in any way related to the US restrictions on wet leases, is it?

Nope.

——-

YUL had strong bookings including transit. What guarantees have they an A321 will be there for August. They need to ensure there wont be a second announcement of cuts....

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:00 pm

Yes, very disappointing. Initially, I thought it might be due to poor fwd bookings, but it does seem to be due to Airbus delays. At least EI can use this in any future negotiations for acft, for example converting existing A321LR orders to XLRs at no extra cost (or similar).

OA260

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:23 pm

In other developments VS KL AF have signed a codeshare agreement. It will provide for a VS flight number on the BHD-AMS route and a AF/KL on the BFS-MCO route.

KLM, Air France and Virgin Atlantic launch codeshare partnership

https://news.klm.com/klm-air-france-and ... rtnership/

shamrock350

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:07 pm

No doubt Aer Lingus could be in for a nice payout from Air Lease Corp via Airbus via the engine manufacturer depending on what the actual delay was caused by.

In January they were confident of taking delivery “well before” July which may suggest Airbus gave them the bad news quite recently.

klm617

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:10 pm

OA260 wrote:

Media Statement:

Aircraft delivery delays have necessitated Aer Lingus make the following changes to our summer 2019 schedule:

- Postponement of the commencement of the Dublin to Montreal service, due to start on 8th August, to summer 2020

- Temporary reduction in frequency on four transatlantic routes (DUB-PHL, DUB-MSP, DUB-BDL, SNN–JFK) during July

All guests booked to fly on affected flights are being accommodated on alternative flights. Aer Lingus wishes to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Ends/

So for Summer 2020 at best along with YUL starting is maybe one new additional North American gateway.

shamrock350

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:22 pm

klm617 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Media Statement:

Ends/

So for Summer 2020 at best along with YUL starting is maybe one new additional North American gateway.

Well, two additional A333s are due as well. Not all future expansion is reliant on the A321LR arrival.

eirflot

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:31 pm

A quick question
This evening on the news the DAA were quick to blame the airlines for de-icing stating that it was 100% the responsibility of the airlines

In most of the airports i have been during winter the de-icing equipment was owned by the airport and requested by the airline. In Vienna they gave two bays with over head sprays and the aircraft simoly slowly pass through

Is this what the DAA meant? Cannot see individual airlines owning de-icing equipment at every airport they use!

JAmie2k9

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:21 pm

eirflot wrote:
A quick question
This evening on the news the DAA were quick to blame the airlines for de-icing stating that it was 100% the responsibility of the airlines

In most of the airports i have been during winter the de-icing equipment was owned by the airport and requested by the airline. In Vienna they gave two bays with over head sprays and the aircraft simoly slowly pass through

Is this what the DAA meant? Cannot see individual airlines owning de-icing equipment at every airport they use!

Ground Handlers operate (likely own) de-icing equipment. It was largely Ryanair who faced disruption, other airlines were operating normally all be it with delays.

There simply wasn't enough staff to cover the volume of flights for Ryanair and things piled up quickly. This problem lies with Ryanair or whatever ground handlers contacted by any airline.

There are no bays at Dublin, airport like VIE would need them daily where as DUB wouldn't very often.

eirflot

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:51 am

Thanks
Am aware that Vienna gets more snow than Dublin!

OA260

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:37 am

Man who had luggage searched by Dublin Airport police after alleged theft loses €75k defamation claim

A DUBLIN SECURITY officer, who turned out his pockets and had his carry-on luggage searched by police on a plane following “an alleged theft” at Dublin airport, has lost his €75,000 claim for defamation of character.

Judge Sinead Ni Chualachain told barrister Shane English, who defended the case on behalf of Dublin Airport Authority, that airport police as agents of the DAA had at all material times behaved responsibly in their investigation into the theft of a Giorgio Armani watch.

www.thejournal.ie/man-luggage-search-lo ... 5-Mar2019/

—-

Plane nearly collided with paramotor while on approach to Belfast City Airport report finds

A Flybe plane carrying 70 people came within seconds of colliding with a paraglider at 195mph when on approach to George Best Belfast City Airport last year, a report has revealed.

Flight BE486 eventually landed safely on August 13 last year, despite the close shave at 2,000ft.

www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/plan ... h-15894314

VFRonTop

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:58 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Ground Handlers operate (likely own) de-icing equipment. It was largely Ryanair who faced disruption, other airlines were operating normally all be it with delays.

There simply wasn't enough staff to cover the volume of flights for Ryanair and things piled up quickly. This problem lies with Ryanair or whatever ground handlers contacted by any airline.

Dublin gets an average of 20 snow days a year (days with actual snow cover is much less). With snowfall becoming more frequent and more severe the airport and the handlers based there need to start thinking of increasing de-icing capacity as the airport continues to grow.

eidvm

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:43 pm

For info, Dublin is one of only two bases where Ryanair do all their handling in house themselves, from check-in to baggage loading, engineering and even including de-icing. So the problems seen the other day were entirely of their own making, a commercial decision not to employ or not to train up enough aircraft deicers, or have bought enough serviceable deicing rigs.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos