eta unknown

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:19 am

No they did not. You're probably confusing the paint job- the Thai Lion 330's had already been painted in Malindo colours before group head office decided to transfer the aircraft to Thai Lion- only the titles were changed, tail remained in Malindo colours.

a320fan

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:39 am

Coming out on Facebook groups that Air Asia X came close to loosing an A330 on departure from MEL in December last year. They were only saved by aircraft performance, not crew confidence. As floating around online

“EDIT - As some people are wrongly blaming Malaysia Airlines for this event may we clarify that it was in fact AirAsia X 213XAX213 / D7213

As the aircraft lined up, the crew received a report that the last aircraft to land encountered windshear. The captain assessed that it was safe to depart. Due to possible windshear, it was decided to use maximum take-off thrust. The crew reported a normal take-off. Passing 500 ft above mean sea level (AMSL), the captain engaged the autopilot and reduced the power to climb thrust. The climb rate of the aircraft then reduced and the aircraft levelled off around 760 ft AMSL. The crew, suspecting windshear, retracted the flaps and then set take-off/go around (TOGA) power. The ground proximity warning system “DON’T SINK” alert triggered and the airspeed increased beyond the flap retraction speed up to a maximum of 236 kts until the flaps fully retracted.

***The aircraft continued to fly level to a position 4 NM from the airport, 400 ft above ground level, with an airspeed of 276 kts.***

45 seconds after initial engagement of the autopilot, the captain then disengaged the autopilot and flew the aircraft manually. The captain commenced a climbing turn to follow the SID.

****During the turn, the angle of bank increased to a maximum of 46 degrees. ****

The aircraft regained the SID, the autopilot engaged, and the flight continued to depart for Kuala Lumpur.

Post-flight, it was determined that altitude (ALT) mode was selected on the autopilot. This caused the aircraft to level off and accelerate. The crew were not aware of this at the time. It is suspected that the captain inadvertently pushed the ALT button which was not detected by the crew. This resulted in the aircraft levelling off at low altitude and allowed the speed to increase, resulting in an airframe overspeed.” Source: https://www.facebook.com/15807346921995 ... 37?sfns=mo

ATSB Report https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/oc ... -2018-133/

Some notes to add. MELs elevation is just over 430ft AMSL. So in possible windshear conditions the crew reduced to climb thrust at just 70ft AGL. My understanding of a standard airliner departure profile is thrust reduction occurs 1000-1500ft AGL.

When faced with suspected windshear the crew retracted flaps, going against what I’ve heard to be true of no configuration changes in windshear.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

Perzeus

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 am

Rumor: According to DJ's aviation, it appears the A350-1000 ULR will be chosen for Project Sunrise based on his discussion with pilots and staff at the Australian aviation show. The official public announcement will be in October 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMYRxzaeNTc

Again, its unverified, but what I wanted to share this news. Thoughts? To me, it seems way too early for Quanta's to make a selection at this juncture. I would have thought management would have wanted to see how the 777x fares on its flight test later this month. Also, I find it hard to believe that pilots and employees already know about the selection...

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:24 am

Perzeus wrote:
Rumor: According to DJ's aviation, it appears the A350-1000 ULR will be chosen for Project Sunrise based on his discussion with pilots and staff at the Australian aviation show. The official public announcement will be in October 2019.

Again, its unverified, but what I wanted to share this news. Thoughts? To me, it seems way too early for Quanta's to make a selection at this juncture. I would have thought management would have wanted to see how the 777x fares on its flight test later this month. Also, I find it hard to believe that pilots and employees already know about the selection...

I would take anything a pilot or staff to say with a large grain of salt, I would pass this on as what they want rather than anything factual. No RFP has been issued yet. It also talks about SYD-LHR being the first route, it wont be, it will either be domestic or regional for crew familiarisation. Then the video goes on about ORD however the issue here is as we have been discussing recently there are only enough 787's on order to accommodate the 747 replacement cycle. This is nothing more than a Youtuber trying to make a name for themselves
Forum Moderator

AsiaTravel

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:25 am

Perzeus wrote:
I find it hard to believe that pilots and employees already know about the selection...

I am not too surprise that some info leaks from top management. Leaking out of the company on the other hand is more worrisome.

Proof that the A350-1000 is the winner: Airbus sent one at the Avalon air show but the 777X was nowhere to be seen. :duck:

jupiter2

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 am

AsiaTravel wrote:
Perzeus wrote:
I find it hard to believe that pilots and employees already know about the selection...

I am not too surprise that some info leaks from top management. Leaking out of the company on the other hand is more worrisome.

Proof that the A350-1000 is the winner: Airbus sent one at the Avalon air show but the 777X was nowhere to be seen. :duck:

There was an A350 at Avalon ? Really ?

I would've sworn I would've seen multitudes of photos if there had been one there, but all I see a lots of photos of F-35's, F-22's, F18's, etc :roll:

TasFlyer

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:42 am

Sorry to bring up this chestnut from the February thread, but having checked the schedules for NW19, three things may be of interest:

• The 717 will cease operating SYD-ADL, SYD-BNE, and BNE-ADL for NS19; I don't recall this being announced
  • The new SYD-MCY and SYD-HBA flying has evidently come at the expense of the above, and thus appears unrelated to the ASP-DRW switch from 717 to 73H; so where has this 717 been redeployed? BNE?
  • Unless I have missed some flying (I've included SYD to HBA, CBR, OOL, MCY, and HTI), then there appears to be capacity to increase flying out of SYD; one aircraft only does half a day's flying (perhaps maintenance is performed during the other half day?), and the others have some two to three hour layovers, even longer midweek when some SYD-OOL and SYD-HBA sectors don't run (not exactly the eight sector days the 717 was designed for)

Happy to be corrected.

moa999

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:44 am

If take the continuous disclosure requirements of the ASX over any attention seeking vlogger.

When a decision is made and contract signed it will be announced.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:31 am

Short video of crew rest area on Qantas 787-9's

https://www.escape.com.au/news/qantas-d ... 5eaa8e21d8
Forum Moderator

RyanairGuru

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:31 am

TasFlyer wrote:
Sorry to bring up this chestnut from the February thread, but having checked the schedules for NW19, three things may be of interest:

• The 717 will cease operating SYD-ADL, SYD-BNE, and BNE-ADL for NS19; I don't recall this being announced
  • The new SYD-MCY and SYD-HBA flying has evidently come at the expense of the above, and thus appears unrelated to the ASP-DRW switch from 717 to 73H; so where has this 717 been redeployed? BNE?
  • Unless I have missed some flying (I've included SYD to HBA, CBR, OOL, MCY, and HTI), then there appears to be capacity to increase flying out of SYD; one aircraft only does half a day's flying (perhaps maintenance is performed during the other half day?), and the others have some two to three hour layovers, even longer midweek when some SYD-OOL and SYD-HBA sectors don't run (not exactly the eight sector days the 717 was designed for)

Happy to be corrected.

In all honesty I wouldn't pay too much attention to schedules for IATA Winter yet. A lot can change in 6 months and I would suggest that the schedules are still work in progress.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

jetfuel

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:55 am

Why are we still allowing this mob to even land in Australia?. CASA, the NTSB and Government will have blood on their hands one day soon. If you read the links the NTSB didnt even investigate

https://www.facebook.com/15807346921995 ... 37?sfns=mo

a320fan wrote:
“EDIT - As some people are wrongly blaming Malaysia Airlines for this event may we clarify that it was in fact AirAsia X 213XAX213 / D7213

As the aircraft lined up, the crew received a report that the last aircraft to land encountered windshear. The captain assessed that it was safe to depart. Due to possible windshear, it was decided to use maximum take-off thrust. The crew reported a normal take-off. Passing 500 ft above mean sea level (AMSL), the captain engaged the autopilot and reduced the power to climb thrust. The climb rate of the aircraft then reduced and the aircraft levelled off around 760 ft AMSL. The crew, suspecting windshear, retracted the flaps and then set take-off/go around (TOGA) power. The ground proximity warning system “DON’T SINK” alert triggered and the airspeed increased beyond the flap retraction speed up to a maximum of 236 kts until the flaps fully retracted.

***The aircraft continued to fly level to a position 4 NM from the airport, 400 ft above ground level, with an airspeed of 276 kts.***

45 seconds after initial engagement of the autopilot, the captain then disengaged the autopilot and flew the aircraft manually. The captain commenced a climbing turn to follow the SID.

****During the turn, the angle of bank increased to a maximum of 46 degrees. ****

The aircraft regained the SID, the autopilot engaged, and the flight continued to depart for Kuala Lumpur.

Post-flight, it was determined that altitude (ALT) mode was selected on the autopilot. This caused the aircraft to level off and accelerate. The crew were not aware of this at the time. It is suspected that the captain inadvertently pushed the ALT button which was not detected by the crew. This resulted in the aircraft levelling off at low altitude and allowed the speed to increase, resulting in an airframe overspeed.” Source: https://www.facebook.com/15807346921995 ... 37?sfns=mo

Some notes to add. MELs elevation is just over 430ft AMSL. So in possible windshear conditions the crew reduced to climb thrust at just 70ft AGL. My understanding of a standard airliner departure profile is thrust reduction occurs 1000-1500ft AGL.

When faced with suspected windshear the crew retracted flaps, going against what I’ve heard to be true of no configuration changes in windshear.
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:14 am

jetfuel wrote:
Why are we still allowing this mob to even land in Australia?. CASA, the NTSB and Government will have blood on their hands one day soon. If you read the links the NTSB didnt even investigate

a320fan wrote:

Of course the NTSB didn't investigate because they are based in the US, I think you mean ATSB. Ultimately its up to CASA to decide whether or not an airline is banned from our skies, the ATSB will make recommendations on changes however just like in the US the NTSB recommends changes to the FAA but don't have the authority to enforce the recommendations. Classic example is the DC-10 and the cargo door back in the 70's
Forum Moderator

Deepinsider

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:29 am

jetfuel wrote:

a320fan wrote:

Not sure exactly who is 'this mob' and I'm disappointed
to read CASA and NTSB (ATSB?) talked about in this tone.

Most major carriers have amazing safety sharing schemes
with each other (even marketing competitors) and this
includes reporting to the regulatory authorities. Those same
authorities, read many times a day I'm sure, that somewhere,
someone pressed a wrong button. We do this sometimes.
Keep it in perspective before declaring 'Blood on hands'

log0008

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:04 am

jetfuel wrote:

a320fan wrote:

Yeah the fact AirAsia is allowed to continue to fly into this country is beyond belief. They have been involved in countless incidents over the last 5 years, many surrounding the most basic of things. The minute the plane does something other that follow its programmed flight path their pilots don't know what to know. Not recognizing that the reason the aircraft was flying along at 400ft in level flight was that it was in an incorrect AP mode, is like not knowing that the reason your car is going backwards is because its in reverse gear.

Thai77w

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:15 am

[photoid][/photoid]
eta unknown wrote:
No they did not. You're probably confusing the paint job- the Thai Lion 330's had already been painted in Malindo colours before group head office decided to transfer the aircraft to Thai Lion- only the titles were changed, tail remained in Malindo colours.

Which is actually the Batik tail.

They also took the first 737-8MAX but quickly palmed them off to Lion Indo.
Aircraft types I've been on: PA31,Q300,AT75,AT76,717,733,738,739ER,763,772,77E,773,77W,788,789,744,319,320,332,333,346,359,380

AsiaTravel

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:17 pm

jupiter2 wrote:
AsiaTravel wrote:
Perzeus wrote:

There was an A350 at Avalon ? Really ?

I would've sworn I would've seen multitudes of photos if there had been one there, but all I see a lots of photos of F-35's, F-22's, F18's, etc :roll:

Read too fast, it was a scaled model... https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2019/02/airbus-to-have-major-presence-at-australias-avalon-2019.html

JQ321

Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:35 am

AsiaTravel wrote:
Perzeus wrote:

1. How is Boeing Supposed to send a plane which doesn't even leave the hangar for 3 days to Avalon.
2. If you look at previous content of the YouTuber and His Comment you will see he has bias towards the A350
3. It's just a rumor, things can change at any second in the Aviation world.

qf2220

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:14 am

Perzeus wrote:

Doubt it - why select now and announce in 6 months time???

Also, pilots and staff are not necessarily insiders.

smi0006

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:38 am

qf2220 wrote:
Perzeus wrote:

Doubt it - why select now and announce in 6 months time???

Also, pilots and staff are not necessarily insiders.

After 11years in aviation - my observation is crewmours- crew rumours are the least reliable source of information, and there are few of any leaks. I have been project lead for confidential projects, only for a captain to tell me the he knew what was happening, and it was completely wrong and he had no idea.

SYDSpotter

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:49 am

AsiaTravel wrote:

No, there was no A350-1000 at the Avalon Airshow this year.

There was however a scale model of the A350 at the air show, obviously a clear sign that Qantas will order it... :confused:
319_320_321_332_333_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

JQ321

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:16 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
AsiaTravel wrote:

No, there was no A350-1000 at the Avalon Airshow this year.

There was however a scale model of the A350 at the air show, obviously a clear sign that Qantas will order it... :confused:

Was that really necessary, they corrected their error

eta unknown

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:27 am

Thai77w wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
eta unknown wrote:

Which is actually the Batik tail.
They also took the first 737-8MAX but quickly palmed them off to Lion Indo.

Yes they are the same livery with slight variations (A320/737)

Fun Fact: Malindo was supposed to be renamed Batik Malaysia, but it never happened officially even though the last few 737's were delivered with the modified livery- and in one case- titles.

Fun Fact 2: the 737-8MAX's were a surprise to Malindo. All economy and no IFE. It was a temporary solution for a Lion problem- they couldn't get the import permit from Indonesian Govt. so rather than put the MAX in storage they were palmed off to Malindo subsidiary until the paperwork got sorted out.

AsiaTravel

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:35 am

JQ321 wrote:
AsiaTravel wrote:
Perzeus wrote:

1. How is Boeing Supposed to send a plane which doesn't even leave the hangar for 3 days to Avalon.
2. If you look at previous content of the YouTuber and His Comment you will see he has bias towards the A350

My comment was obviously sarcastic. I don't put any value on those youtuber and so called analysts.

JQ321

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:58 am

AsiaTravel wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
AsiaTravel wrote:

My comment was obviously sarcastic. I don't put any value on those youtuber and so called analysts.

You have to understand sarcasm is hard to detect and write when written.

JQ321

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:59 am

With the new 737-8MAX Crash could we see VA cancelling their order for the family.?
Could we see QF move to the A320NEO Family because of this?
Will there be more restrictions put on the aircraft?

decry

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 am

JQ321 wrote:
With the new 737-8MAX Crash could we see VA cancelling their order for the family?

Very much doubt that. It's not like the entire MAX fleet is falling from the sky all of a sudden.

CityRail

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:39 am

JQ321 wrote:
With the new 737-8MAX Crash could we see VA cancelling their order for the family.?
Unlikely to happen, however I argue Boeing 737 Max 8/10 is not suitable for VA for commercial reasons:
1. MAX does not have sufficient range to Asia, even VA gets them, they cannot fly far
2. MAX has small cargo hold and holds too little passengers that they won't achieve as many benefits as Airbus to VA to expand.
Solution: Drop MAX Order and replace with 150 x A321XLR. XLR will have sufficient range and capacity to replace all B738 and A332 and enables VA to operate Asian long haul profitably.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 G3226 發送

jupiter2

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:40 am

CityRail wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
Unlikely to happen, however I argue Boeing 737 Max 8/10 is not suitable for VA for commercial reasons:
1. MAX does not have sufficient range to Asia, even VA gets them, they cannot fly far
2. MAX has small cargo hold and holds too little passengers that they won't achieve as many benefits as Airbus to VA to expand.
Solution: Drop MAX Order and replace with 150 x A321XLR. XLR will have sufficient range and capacity to replace all B738 and A332 and enables VA to operate Asian long haul profitably.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 G3226 發送

Wow ! Can I have some of what you're having ?

VHZNE

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:41 am

JQ321 wrote:

An airline simply just does not cancel an order for the type because two have crashed.

Also not to mention that the cause has not yet been determined.

jupiter2

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:45 am

AsiaTravel wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
AsiaTravel wrote:

Which is it, sarcasm or you read it wrong ?

Previously you said the 350 was the winner because Airbus sent an aircraft to Avalon, only to correct yourself when pointed out it was a model on display. :scratchchin:

RyanairGuru

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:53 am

CityRail wrote:
JQ321 wrote:

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 G3226 發送

Yeah... no.

Notwithstanding your comments about the 737's unsuitability due to capacity and cargo hold (this an airline with ~70 737-800s so they are well aware of its passenger and cargo capability) why on earth do you think VA need 150 aircraft?!?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

JQ321

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:04 am

CityRail wrote:
JQ321 wrote:

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 G3226 發送

If the MAX has a small cargo hold what does the A321XLR have a tiny one. Also the A321XLR doesn't have the range for VA's current Asian Routes except Indonesia.

JQ321

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:06 am

jupiter2 wrote:
CityRail wrote:
JQ321 wrote:

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 G3226 發送

Wow ! Can I have some of what you're having ?

LOL. ; )

JQ321

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:07 am

decry wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
With the new 737-8MAX Crash could we see VA cancelling their order for the family?

Very much doubt that. It's not like the entire MAX fleet is falling from the sky all of a sudden.

That would be a sad but cool sight if that happened.

CityRail

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:42 am

JQ321 wrote:
CityRail wrote:
JQ321 wrote:

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 G3226 發送

If the MAX has a small cargo hold what does the A321XLR have a tiny one. Also the A321XLR doesn't have the range for VA's current Asian Routes except Indonesia.

Negative.

A321LR has 4700nm Range fully loaded, therefore A321XLR, which claims it can fly an extra 700nm, will have 5400nm.

With A321XLR, this is what Virgin can do:

1. Introduce 2 configuration: Short Haul and Long Haul
Short Haul: 4 J (With The Business Seats), 8 W (With B737 Business Class Seats), 30 Economy X and 132 Economy Seats - Total Guests 174
Long Haul: 8 J (With The Business Seats), 12 W (With B737 Business Class Seats), 30 Economy X and 96 Economy Seats - Total Guests 146

2. Have a look at GC Map on how far 5400nm can go:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=5400nm%40PER
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=5400nm%40SYD

3. This is what Virgin can do with 150 strong A321LR/XLR:
a) Introduce PER - AUH with XLR, something that EY cannot do it profitably with A330 and B787
b) Introduce PER - JNB with XLR, and I am sure this will be much more profitable than SA
c) Introduce MEL - HNL, something HA don't have a suitable fleet to do (MEL - HNL is 5504nm, if range is an issue, VA can add a stop at CBR)
d) Introduce SYD/BNE - PPT, a route that none of Virgin's widebody can do at the moment
e) Introduce PER - AKL and PER - CHC, and compete against NZ's B787
f) Introduce SYD-IPC-EZE, and break the monopoly of LATAM
g) Introduce SYD-BOM and PER-DEL, and connect with Vistara

4. A321XLR can literally go to most parts of China, all of SE Asia and East/NE Asia and it will make these routes viable because VA does not have partner in these places. JQ is planning to use A321 to SE Asia and I am sure Virgin can and should do it so that it can feed more passengers into Australia and make it profitable due to high LF from lower number of seats available.

5. If VA install 'The Business' on all A321s I am sure QF will surrender because wherever QF's B738 go, Virgin has a better product to beat them.

6. VA can easily eliminate 1 more type of aircraft by replacing B77W and A332 with A350-1000. They should consider ordering 12 of them and have 5 based on East Coast for LAX, 5 based at PER for LHR and FCO and 2 for HKG.
Last edited by CityRail on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jupiter2

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:55 am

CityRail wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
CityRail wrote:

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 G3226 發送

Negative.

A321LR has 4700nm Range fully loaded, therefore A321XLR, which claims it can fly an extra 700nm, will have 5400nm.

Short Haul: 4 J (With The Business Seats), 8 W (With B737 Business Class Seats), 30 Economy X and 132 Economy Seats - Total Guests 174
Long Haul: 8 J (With The Business Seats), 12 W (With B737 Business Class Seats), 30 Economy X and 96 Economy Seats - Total Guests 146

a) Introduce PER - AUH with XLR, something that EY cannot do it profitably with A330 and B787
b) Introduce PER - JNB with XLR, and I am sure this will be much more profitable than SA
c) Introduce MEL - HNL, something HA don't have a suitable fleet to do (MEL - HNL is 5504nm, if range is an issue, VA can add a stop at CBR)
d) Introduce SYD/BNE - PPT, a route that none of Virgin's widebody can do at the moment

4. A321XLR can literally go to most parts of China, all of SE Asia and East/NE Asia and it will make these routes viable because VA does not have partner in these places. JQ is planning to use A321 to SE Asia and I am sure Virgin can and should do it so that it can feed more passengers into Australia and make it profitable due to high LF from lower number of seats available.

5. If VA install 'The Business' on all A321s I am sure QF will surrender because wherever QF's B738 go, Virgin has a better product to beat them.

Please tell me what you are taking ? I need some fantasy in my life too :biggrin:

decry

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:09 am

Honestly this is the biggest load of bull**** i've read posted on this forum in sometime.

CityRail

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:10 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
CityRail wrote:
JQ321 wrote:

Yeah... no.

Notwithstanding your comments about the 737's unsuitability due to capacity and cargo hold (this an airline with ~70 737-800s so they are well aware of its passenger and cargo capability) why on earth do you think VA need 150 aircraft?!?

82 of 150 A321LR will replace entirety of B737-700 and -800.
18 of 150 A321LR will replace entirety of Fokker 100 and A320 operated by VARA
That's 100 of them.

Additional 50 aircraft will be used to launch new Long Haul International Routes.

JQ321

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:13 am

CityRail wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
CityRail wrote:

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 G3226 發送

Negative.

6. VA can easily eliminate 1 more type of aircraft by replacing B77W and A332 with A350-1000. They should consider ordering 12 of them and have 5 based on East Coast for LAX, 5 based at PER for LHR and FCO and 2 for HKG.

5. LOL. QANTAS might just introduce a new long-haul narrow body business class too.
3. Forget about ETOPS did you?.
6. Why in their right mind would they fly to FCO and Honk Kong when even QANTAS can't seem to make it work.

JQ321

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:15 am

CityRail wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
CityRail wrote:

Yeah... no.

That's 100 of them.

Additional 50 aircraft will be used to launch new Long Haul International Routes.

50 for International Growth or bankruptcy?

CityRail

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:23 am

JQ321 wrote:
5. LOL. QANTAS might just introduce a new long-haul narrow body business class too.
3. Forget about ETOPS did you?.
6. Why in their right mind would they fly to FCO and Honk Kong when even QANTAS can't seem to make it work.

3. If A350 can do ETOPS-370, then A321XLR can potentially do the same too
5. Yes. Qantas will do that, and perhaps more likely Jetstar will introduce Business Class on A321 to Asia, but Virgin can beat Jetstar by introducing Lie Flat Business Class and NZ Style Economy Catering.
6. HKG is doing well for Virgin with 80%+ loading and alliance with HX.
FCO will work (with less than daily) because Virgin has alliance with AZ.
This will allow VA to send passengers to DL, BE and VS for rest of UK, Ireland and East Coast USA via London, and rest of Europe via FCO with AZ.
If VA can make HKG work with alliance through a cash stripped HX, so would FCO work with AZ.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:23 am

CityRail wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
CityRail wrote:

Yeah... no.

That's 100 of them.

So you are proposing to replace the VARA fleet which is all economy with an aircraft the offers business, premium economy and economy X. Apart from this being completely ridiculous A321's are too big for many regional airports. Furthermore you can stop this trolling or you will find yourself on the ban list
Forum Moderator

CityRail

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:30 am

JQ321 wrote:

50 can be used for both Domestic and International growth, for eg. PER-CNS and PER-OOL will be viable.
If Virgin wants to go to China, each route to China and North East Asia could require 1.5 aircraft, and each route to India and Middle East will definitely need 2 aircraft.
Initially 12 - 20 A321XLR will be a good start, and I am sure once there are more business they can occupy the whole 50.

a320fan

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:53 am

You’re delusional I’m sorry. Let’s stop this nonsense here.

Plus a 174 total as the short haul config in an A321 for an airline like VA? They will end up like ansett before even a third of this order could be delivered.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

decry

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:56 am

CityRail wrote:
3. If A350 can do ETOPS-370, then A321XLR can potentially do the same too

Hmmm seems problematic.

Trolling for sure!

vhqpa

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:59 am

I think you're being way too over enthusiastic. The network as a whole is only just starting to break even after several years of restructuring. I doubt there'll be much appetite for any high risk drastic expansion in the next few years. Especially with a new CEO coming onboard. I expect them to be quite conservative with International expansion focusing on maintaining HKG and LAX and modest expansion to NZ. I expect the main priority when the MAX 8s arrive will be to pass on the 737-800s onto Tigerair, which in turn will replace their A320s, a few Tigerair A320s might make to VARA for the bigger regional routes. In the medium term if VARA need something smaller than an A320 for Fokker replacements, then getting a few 10-15 year old A319s could be an option.

The above is all speculation on my part.
Last edited by vhqpa on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

angusjt

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:59 am

CityRail wrote:

Negative.

CityRail wrote:
JQ321 wrote:

50 can be used for both Domestic and International growth, for eg. PER-CNS and PER-OOL will be viable.
If Virgin wants to go to China, each route to China and North East Asia could require 1.5 aircraft, and each route to India and Middle East will definitely need 2 aircraft.
Initially 12 - 20 A321XLR will be a good start, and I am sure once there are more business they can occupy the whole 50.

What on earth am I reading? Are you perhaps mistaking the A350, A330 and A321 for eachother?

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:42 pm

JQ321 wrote:

Seriously why ask this 30 minutes after the ET 737MAX crashed? No VA is not going to cancel their order nor should they. VA has a good safety culture and just like QF their first priority is safety. QF will buy the best plane to suit their needs. Did QF change their order when QF32 occurred or did they stop taking A330's after QF72? The answer to both those questions is no, and let me remind you lets keep this to facts and not emotion as many have done on other threads since this crash.
Forum Moderator

JQ321

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:02 pm

qf789 wrote:
JQ321 wrote:

Seriously why ask this 30 minutes after the ET 737MAX crashed? No VA is not going to cancel their order nor should they. VA has a good safety culture and just like QF their first priority is safety. QF will buy the best plane to suit their needs. Did QF change their order when QF32 occurred or did they stop taking A330's after QF72? The answer to both those questions is no, and let me remind you lets keep this to facts and not emotion as many have done on other threads since this crash.

I asked about this because i care about the safety of all people. I also don' want more people, especially Australians, to Die in any more 737MAX crashes.
Also your comparing apples and oranges. They were faults in the plane. This is a fatal crash not this is not just a fault.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:12 pm

JQ321 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
JQ321 wrote:

I asked about this because i care about the safety of all people. I also don' want more people, especially Australians, to Die in any more 737MAX crashes.
Also your comparing apples and oranges. They were faults in the plane. This is a fatal crash not this is not just a fault.

Well there is a time and place to ask these questions and it was rather insensitive to ask directly after the crash. I am not comparing apples to oranges, both QF events could have been deadly if it wasn't for the pilots who did what they were trained to do as pilots. Furthermore while you can call these faults, faults can lead to aircraft accidents. My point is that there has been a lot of emotion but with little fact. The fact is VA would not fly an aircraft if it wasn't safe to do so. As someone who deals with VA pilots and engineers pretty much on a daily basis I can tell you they would not put an aircraft into the air if it was not safe to do so. The 737 including the MAX is a safe and reliable aircraft along with every other aircraft that both Boeing and Airbus produce. Until such time that there are facts about this latest accident there is simply no reason why VA should cancel their MAX order.
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos