getluv

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2019

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:35 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
getluv wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

I think you are wrong on this.

How do you think airlines get peak slots at these controlled airports or cancel flights only to have the same slots when they resume flights years later? A legacy airline would rather make additional revenue and lease their slots rather than relinquish them forever. QF is an old airline that had such a vast network so of course they would have slots at major destinations that they no longer fly to. I can think of a few reasons why they do not publicise this.

Because LHR is very much an exception to the rule, at most airports slots are not as asset that has value or can be traded. You either use it or return it to the airport operator.

Peak slots are traded otherwise incumbent airlines would never be able to commence flights to major airports at favourable times. Only significant assets are recorded as line items on financial reports.

A350OZ wrote:
getluv wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Airlines who were allocated slots cannot simply pass them on to other airlines, and therefore cannot hold on to them without actually flying into FRA.

According to IATA they can.
I'm that bad type.

QF742

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:01 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
kriskim wrote:
I have heard this rumour that JQ will revert back to an all A320 Family operator, the 788 goes back to QF, with most of the current JQ long haul routes reverted to QF. These guys are claiming that JQ's international long haul ops are loss making therefor it makes sense for the 788 to go back to mainline flying. How credible this is, I'm not too sure.

In the annual report, the results of Jetstar Group aren't split between Domestic Vs International like they are for Qantas mainline, however in the 2018 annual report the following is included in the commentary:

"Jetstar International had strong earnings with ROIC>WACC whilst all Jetstar’s branded airlines in Asia were profitable"

Those rumours re: Jetstar Intl are in direct contrast to the statements made in the annual report, but given the annual report is published on the ASX and externally audited, I know which source I will rely on.

Now if we go back a few years, the Jetstar Asian ops were definitely loss making and I think it's fair to say the Jetstar Intl ops out of Australia would have been 'profitable' given that JQ got the shiny 788's whilst QF Intl got the hand me down A330's.

I’ve always found the reporting of JQ international financial results to be vague at best in Qantas’ annual report. I don’t believe they need to disclose the results of JQ international specifically, however I would guess that if they were extremely profitably it would be spelled out loud and clear in the annual report for the benefit of shareholders.

I don’t have any facts to base this on, but based on what we do know from annual reports and the way the finances are described, I would guess that JQ international is perhaps in breakeven territory.

That being said, I’m not sure they would transfer the 788s to QF. JQ need those aircraft for a number of their long haul routes which I wouldn’t think have sufficient yield to be flown by QF.

Interesting discussion nonetheless!

VapourTrails

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:48 am

One of the JQ A320 fleet VH-VQK has been given a special promotional livery for five months. This includes the interior as well, which as far as I am aware is not a common occurence in the modern era? And, are short(er) promotions like this common? It seems special liveries are around for a while. Maybe I've just missed them!

Source: https://www.examiner.com.au/story/59520 ... d/#slide=4

Excerpt from the article: "With images of iconic Northern Tasmanian sites both inside and out, a newly decorated Jetstar plane is set to raise awareness of the region through a partnership between the airline and Launceston Airport.

Jetstar head of product Nigel Fanning said though the company does decorate its aircraft three or four times a year for other promotions, this is the first time it has been done for a destination.

"We've worked closely with Tourism Northern Tasmania and Launceston Airport, and we had our own Jetstar designer who designed it," Mr Fanning said.

The project has been in the works for the past six months, with the aircraft heading to the hanger last week for application of the decal and imagery on tray tables and overhead lockers. The aircraft will be flying until July."

qf2220

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:54 am

QF742 wrote:
That being said, I’m not sure they would transfer the 788s to QF. JQ need those aircraft for a number of their long haul routes which I wouldn’t think have sufficient yield to be flown by QF.

Except QF wouldn't use it on the JQ route - QF would put it on its own route. As i said before, PER-SIN might be a contender. Thinking a bit more, AKL-PER might also work, as might SYD-HNL (maybe ?) QF would use the aircraft to reduce seats slightly (and operating costs) but be able to charge a better premium for it and get a better ROIC. Cos remember, at QF its all about ROIC, and redeploying the aircraft is a key way they manage their ROIC.

a19901213

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:31 am

I doubt QF can afford to operate routes like CNS/Gold coast-NRT/KIX.

qf002

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:49 am

a19901213 wrote:

They might be able to given their lower cost base these days. SYD-KIX would have been inconceivable 5-10 years ago and they have BNE-NRT now so probably wouldn’t need to replace the OOL flights anyway.

Or they could make a deal with JL to have Zip Air operate those flights with a QF or JQ codeshare instead.

Not saying I definitely think it will happen but there is a solution to every problem. We don’t even know whether CNS/OOL-NRT is profitable, especially given the growth of other carriers in Au-Jp over the last few years.

QF742

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:52 am

qf2220 wrote:
QF742 wrote:

Except QF wouldn't use it on the JQ route - QF would put it on its own route. As i said before, PER-SIN might be a contender. Thinking a bit more, AKL-PER might also work, as might SYD-HNL (maybe ?) QF would use the aircraft to reduce seats slightly (and operating costs) but be able to charge a better premium for it and get a better ROIC. Cos remember, at QF its all about ROIC, and redeploying the aircraft is a key way they manage their ROIC.

Agree that QF could use the aircraft on other routes, but are you implying that the former JQ routes would be dropped altogether? Yes they have the A321 coming online, but these can’t cover all of JQ’s routes given the distance of some.

qf2220

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:05 am

QF742 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
QF742 wrote:

Agree that QF could use the aircraft on other routes, but are you implying that the former JQ routes would be dropped altogether? Yes they have the A321 coming online, but these can’t cover all of JQ’s routes given the distance of some.

It wouldnt be the first time that QF has cut a loss making (or underperforming) route...

JQ321

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:33 am

qf2220 wrote:
QF742 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

It wouldnt be the first time that QF has cut a loss making (or underperforming) route...

Well that's the problem we can't tell if it's loss making or under performing.

VA82

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:46 am

VapourTrails wrote:
One of the JQ A320 fleet VH-VQK has been given a special promotional livery for five months. This includes the interior as well, which as far as I am aware is not a common occurence in the modern era? And, are short(er) promotions like this common? It seems special liveries are around for a while. Maybe I've just missed them!

I saw this aircraft at BNE last week from the satellite at the QF end of the terminal and the Launceston titles are far too small, I couldn't read them from the terminal and resorted to checking out Flightradar24 to figure it out.

VapourTrails

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:14 am

VA82 wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:

I saw this aircraft at BNE last week from the satellite at the QF end of the terminal and the Launceston titles are far too small, I couldn't read them from the terminal and resorted to checking out Flightradar24 to figure it out.

Yeah, I agree. I can see what you mean. I think the photographs are good, the writing doesn’t do it, unless you are up close, maybe that is the intention. No airports in Tasmania have aerobridges (correct me if I’m wrong) and so it is meant to be viewed up close? How do they attach the decals extremely effectively, and make them easily removable after five months?

Source: https://www.examiner.com.au/story/59520 ... d/#slide=1

JQ321

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:38 am

VapourTrails wrote:
VA82 wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I can see what you mean. I think the photographs are good, the writing doesn’t do it, unless you are up close, maybe that is the intention. No airports in Tasmania have aerobridges (correct me if I’m wrong) and so it is meant to be viewed up close? How do they attach the decals extremely effectively, and make them easily removable after five months?

They need to work on the intergration of the livery and the off coloured grey covering the Jetstar Titles.

Whatsaptudo

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:18 am

JQ321 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
QF742 wrote:

And I find that suspicious, considering QF results are seperate and transparent.

TN486T

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:23 am

JQ has a history of special liveries, in their early days with the 717's, VQJ was the Avis/Budget Jet and VQH was the Lynx Jet, photographs can be found on aussieairliners.net. There was also a Pizza livery, however I have yet to nail that one down. Cheers all

QF742

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:44 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

And I find that suspicious, considering QF results are seperate and transparent.

QF domestic and international are separate entities - so that is why their results are reported separately.

However, my understand is that JQ international and domestic are the same entity - can anyone confirm?

In any case, if JQ international was a gold mine, the QF media and corporate team would make it well known (at the very least for the benefit of shareholders)!

Whatsaptudo

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:50 am

I’m not aware that Domestic and international are different entities any more than Jetstar is. Could you explain that?

And I guess I’d also ask, why is that so? Again, I find it suspicious.

QF742

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:
I’m not aware that Domestic and international are different entities any more than Jetstar is. Could you explain that?

And I guess I’d also ask, why is that so? Again, I find it suspicious.

My recollection is that soon after Alan Joyce became CEO, the international and domestic businesses were separated into separate entities. They have separate CEOs, for example.

There is nothing suspicion about a company the size of Qantas having numerous different entities within the corporate structure. It is very common for any large companies.

Whatsaptudo

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:57 am

They do have seperate CEO’s, I’ll grant that. There was much work put into an seperate Operaters certificate also, but that was shelved. So from an opererational point of view, QF is one airline.
Jetstar on the other hand is 4 different airlines and they are not reported separately. So I still find it suspicious.
It may well be there is some technicality that makes it unavoidable to not seperate The profitability of Jetstar international (which includes its Asian offshoots as well as the JQ operations in NZ) from the domestic business, For me as a a curious sort of bloke, don’t think there is. I feel they are hiding something. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

moa999

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:44 pm

I think the reporting comes down to accounting standards which is along the line of a sensible split that provides information to investors and generally is about 3-4 amongst mostnASX companies
- to bore yourself to sleep Google - AASB 8 Operating Setments

Two of the Jetstars's (Japan and Vietnam/Pacific) are sub-50% anyway so I believe reported as below the line

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:12 pm

QF to codeshare on Finnair’s LHR-HEL from31 March 19

https://twitter.com/airlineroute/status ... 92743?s=21
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:17 pm

EK421 PER-DXB did not go out Wednesday night, rescheduled to 1600 departure on Thursday
Forum Moderator

DeltaB717

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:58 pm

JQ321 wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:
VA82 wrote:

They need to work on the intergration of the livery and the off coloured grey covering the Jetstar Titles.

They really do - it looks awful with the patchwork quilt bordering the advertising!

I don't imagine the intention is to advertise Launceston within Tasmania, so the lack of aerobridges at Tasmanian airports is unlikely to have been a factor in the size of the text. More likely whoever did the design didn't want the text to detract from the visual.

qf2220

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:35 pm

QF742 wrote:
QF domestic and international are separate entities - so that is why their results are reported separately.
However, my understand is that JQ international and domestic are the same entity - can anyone confirm?

No.

QFI and QFD all happen in Qantas Airways Limited but are different segments from a business perspective. JQD and JQI all happen in Jetstar Airways Limited. The JQ Asia entities hold their operations and financial results, but the whole JQ business rolls up into one segment. So the JQ segment contains a number of different businesses.

The reason they are reported differently is because that is how the accounting standards say they should be reported. It all depends on what the Chief Operating Decision Makers are using to make investment decisions (eg ExCo, the Board).

CraigAnderson

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 am

Wasn't there speculation at the time that QF split its domestic and international arms that this could allow the airline to take overseas investment in one arm but not the other, eg into QF International, or was it more about being able to write down the value of the international fleet and roll that into the QFi financials? I'm sure I recall some reasons beyond purely 'operational' for the split.

VapourTrails

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:40 am

TN486T wrote:
JQ has a history of special liveries, in their early days with the 717's, VQJ was the Avis/Budget Jet and VQH was the Lynx Jet, photographs can be found on aussieairliners.net. There was also a Pizza livery, however I have yet to nail that one down. Cheers all

:bigthumbsup:

I actually really like the gold on this one. :half:

a19901213

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:46 am

qf002 wrote:
a19901213 wrote:

They might be able to given their lower cost base these days. SYD-KIX would have been inconceivable 5-10 years ago and they have BNE-NRT now so probably wouldn’t need to replace the OOL flights anyway.

Or they could make a deal with JL to have Zip Air operate those flights with a QF or JQ codeshare instead.

Not saying I definitely think it will happen but there is a solution to every problem. We don’t even know whether CNS/OOL-NRT is profitable, especially given the growth of other carriers in Au-Jp over the last few years.

I talked a lot with many travel agency in Japan and they all agreed JQ’s low price business model is the key success to fill out the seats to CNS. Not sure about Australia end though.

Again QF’s business model might turn out working just fine on these routes but if JQ can’t even make money on these leisure routes I doubt QF would want to do it themselves.

NTLDaz

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:38 am

a19901213 wrote:
qf002 wrote:
a19901213 wrote:

I talked a lot with many travel agency in Japan and they all agreed JQ’s low price business model is the key success to fill out the seats to CNS. Not sure about Australia end though.

Again QF’s business model might turn out working just fine on these routes but if JQ can’t even make money on these leisure routes I doubt QF would want to do it themselves.

We don't know if they are making money on these routes or not.

Am I the only one who thinks JQ may have abandoned the routes if they were loss making ? They have abandoned routes in the past. Off the top of my head I can think of KUL, MNL and Lombok. I'm sure there are others.

DeltaB717

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:41 am

NTLDaz wrote:
a19901213 wrote:
qf002 wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks JQ may have abandoned the routes if they were loss making ? They have abandoned routes in the past. Off the top of my head I can think of KUL, MNL and Lombok. I'm sure there are others.

Airlines like JQ operate on margins slim enough that if a part of the network isn't earning its keep, the airline will typically leave (provided they have a more profitable route to deploy the asset on).

Frankly, as an aside, the word of a travel agent isn't exactly my gauge on the complicated demand, yield and revenue management behind network decisions any more than some random pilot is my gauge as to fleet selection.

RyanairGuru

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:19 am

CNS-Japan can be flown by the 321neo. FYI CNS-NRT is shorter than SYD-MNL.

If the 321neoLR delivers the performance that Airbus are promising then it will also be able to do OOL-Japan and SYD/MEL-SGN.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

a19901213

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:53 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
a19901213 wrote:

Airlines like JQ operate on margins slim enough that if a part of the network isn't earning its keep, the airline will typically leave (provided they have a more profitable route to deploy the asset on).

Frankly, as an aside, the word of a travel agent isn't exactly my gauge on the complicated demand, yield and revenue management behind network decisions any more than some random pilot is my gauge as to fleet selection.

I never said travel agent’s word should be used for any yield calculation or whatever.

Basically saying lots of Japanese students and young travellers come to Cairns because they can AFFORD the tickets.

a19901213

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:56 am

NTLDaz wrote:
a19901213 wrote:
qf002 wrote:

Neither do I and I didnt say whether they actually make money or not.

They axed OOL-KIX few years ago so that’s probably an indication.

qf2220

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:09 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Wasn't there speculation at the time that QF split its domestic and international arms that this could allow the airline to take overseas investment in one arm but not the other, eg into QF International, or was it more about being able to write down the value of the international fleet and roll that into the QFi financials? I'm sure I recall some reasons beyond purely 'operational' for the split.

It was never split legally, just organisationally. The AOC is the same (except for the Jetconnect part which is no longer flying anyhow).

They'd need to make another legal entity with some funny shareholdings to do a Virgin.

Re fleet writedown, the could have done this for some time but chose to do it when they did for reasons known to them.

a19901213

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:10 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
CNS-Japan can be flown by the 321neo. FYI CNS-NRT is shorter than SYD-MNL.

If the 321neoLR delivers the performance that Airbus are promising then it will also be able to do OOL-Japan and SYD/MEL-SGN.

This is what I have in mind as well.

If 321Neo LR can do OOL-NRT then I see the possibility of JQ returning 788 back to QF.

qf2220

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:19 am

NTLDaz wrote:

No I think they would have abandoned them too if they were loss making over the long run.

Over short/medium runs they might keep them going, particularly if they think there is some sort of cyclicality or temporary to the route.

IDK, im not thinking they are loss making but just always wary when it comes to press releases and annual reports!

oskarclare

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:22 am

anstar

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:23 am

Given JQ have been operating widebodies for about 15 years (330, 787)... why would they get rid of them now? It seems to be a market they are happy to be in and seem to be doing reasonably well.

smi0006

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:32 am

anstar wrote:
Given JQ have been operating widebodies for about 15 years (330, 787)... why would they get rid of them now? It seems to be a market they are happy to be in and seem to be doing reasonably well.

I agree, kinda mountain out of molehill from baseless rumours. I’d say the 788 will stay and open up more routes the 321s offer nice flexibility to off capacity to DPS and PI easily. JQ cleanly pick up the low yielding end of the market. QFs cost base maybe lower but doesn’t mean the premium traffic is there to fill the front of the cabin.

smi0006

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:34 am

anstar wrote:

I agree, kinda mountain out of molehill from baseless rumours. I’d say the 788 will stay and open up more routes the 321s offer nice flexibility to off capacity to DPS and PI easily. JQ cleanly pick up the low yielding end of the market. QFs cost base maybe lower but doesn’t mean the premium traffic is there to fill the front of the cabin.

moa999

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:36 am

With the chopping and changing of routes and the lack of growth - I'd say doing OK but possibly a few too many widebody aircraft.

Could definitely see a smaller 788 fleet of say 6-8 supplemented by 10-12 international configured 321neos

With the balance of the 321neos going into domestic all economy service.

The first 787 deliveries were 2013 - are any reaching lease rollover

Qantas16

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:00 am

oskarclare wrote:

When the flight times were originally published it was like a 2140 arrival and 2240 departure out of ADL (or similar) which was playing with fire due to the ADL curfew. The early morning arrival/departure is the same as MEL/BNE and makes a lot more sense. Also good for connections ex KUL

VHZNE

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:38 am

qf2220 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

It was never split legally, just organisationally. The AOC is the same (except for the Jetconnect part which is no longer flying anyhow).

They'd need to make another legal entity with some funny shareholdings to do a Virgin.

Re fleet writedown, the could have done this for some time but chose to do it when they did for reasons known to them.

Jetconnect is still flying, just the aircraft are now registered in Australia.

JQ321

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:15 am

VHZNE wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Jetconnect is still flying, just the aircraft are now registered in Australia.

Jetconnect is not flying. However, they still staff many planes in the QF fleet. the 738's were transferred back to mainline

RyanairGuru

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:39 am

Two observations I made today:

1) I saw the LST/Tas A320 in Brisbane this morning. It looks atrocious in person, really dreadful. The disclaimer is I didn't see it up close, but from where I was on the Qantas satellite looking over to the common user satellite (so about 200 metres) it was nothing more than a chaotic mush of colours. It's not just that I couldn't read the writing, I couldn't even make out what the pictures were supposed to be of.

2) Flew from BNE to ROK and on landing there were news crews out on the apron filming us land and taxi in. I was a bit confused, there wasn't anyone notably famous on board and a QLink Dash 8 isn't exactly news in Rockhampton.

Well apparently today is the official opening of the "new runway" at ROK. Hands up everyone who knew that ROK was getting a new runway…......... yeah, me neither. Turns out that the existing runway has simply been resurfaced and the work was finished months ago, but some local politician has decided to make a big deal out of it.

Anyone would think there was an election coming :duck:
Worked Hard, Flew Right

TN486T

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:22 am

due to weather at MEL QF447 (A330) and JQ 532 (A321) both flights from SYD diverted to Avalon

JQ321

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:27 am

A Jetstar Asia A320 has recently been put in a Northern Territory Decal to celebrate their 10 years of operating to Darwin from Singapore
See Link:
https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/ ... ory-decal/
Just as bad as the Launceston one.

TN486T

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:34 am

qf 447 has just repositioned to MEL from AVV. Maintained 5000 feet 250 kts ground speed, a great 15 minute ride. Special. Well, the pax had a first hand look at the terminal for a while. Yeah...

tullamarine

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:43 am

JQ321 wrote:
A Jetstar Asia A320 has recently been put in a Northern Territory Decal to celebrate their 10 years of operating to Darwin from Singapore
See Link:

No expense spared on these special liveries :shakehead:
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

VapourTrails

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:55 am

JQ321 wrote:
See Link:

IMHO they’re so blunt on the ends. If you’re going to go to that trouble, it should be blended, to fit with the fact that it is on an aircraft and not a static sign on the side of a highway. I do think the right hand side is more slightly more appealing than the left - mostly the colours, but even the fact that they are different.. This comment is from the photos in the link. I haven’t seen them for real.

SYDSpotter

Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:44 pm

JQ321 wrote:
See Link:

Looks like a bit of a DIY wallpaper job, would get a 10/10 on "The Block" :duck:
319_320_321_332_333_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

rtav

Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:55 am

VH-VNB, ex. TigerAir A320 is positioning to Perth from Seletar as TT9002 now painted in VARA Livery.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos