trinidadeG

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - March 2019

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:01 pm

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:
trinidadeG wrote:
Indian DGCA decides to ground the Boeing 737MAX.

https://twitter.com/MoCA_GoI/status/1105527436345860101

Is it just grounding of the Indian registered MAX or banishing all the MAX from the Indian airspace like CAA did to the British airspace?

So far, the tweet only covers Indian registered MAX.

“Once this order is issued, we will see if overflying by the Boeing 737 Max also needs to be stopped after studying whether airlines of nearby regions use this plane to overfly India on their international routes. We need to study that before taking a call on overflying by Max,” said highly placed sources.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 381656.cms

binayak

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:29 pm

trinidadeG wrote:
Not that it will faze UK much. UK isn't launching the route to serve the category of fliers who have come to love the bully.

This myth has destroyed the financial condition of 3 FSCs in the past.
How much ever premium you try to be, for less than four hour flights, you have to compete with LCCs because you need those low fare pax to fill the back of the plane.
See what happened to the India gulf sector once LCCs started coming in.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

trinidadeG

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:48 pm

They've been choosing their routes carefully and side-stepping a certain kind of flyer. Unlike the other "FSC's" past and present.

Lets just wait and see where the famed TATAs take their airline, shall we? Thanks.

avier

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:24 am

anshabhi wrote:
trinidadeG wrote:
Indian DGCA decides to ground the Boeing 737MAX.
https://twitter.com/MoCA_GoI/status/110552743634586010

Back to back awesome decisions from DGCA !!

What will happen to SG's DEL-HKG? They don't have any other aircraft which can possibly do this route

Wouldn't use the word "awesome" when accounting for the larger scheme of things. One beleaguered airline, another with extreme crew shortage, a major airports tri-weekly shutdown for repairs, and now this grounding leading to even more cancellations. And these are all the major airlines of the country .
Maybe a good move to ground from safety perspective, but wouldn't say it's the best decision.

avier

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 am

^ Grounding of an aircraft due to the manufacturers fault affects the airlines finances as the airline bears the brunt of the sudden grounding and cancellations.
So, like in the case of the 320Neo's, if the manufacturer compensates the airline for the groundings, then that would make it more fair.

pune

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 am

avier wrote:
^ Grounding of an aircraft due to the manufacturers fault affects the airlines finances as the airline bears the brunt of the sudden grounding and cancellations.
So, like in the case of the 320Neo's, if the manufacturer compensates the airline for the groundings, then that would make it more fair.

+1 to that. To actually take that a bit further, it should compensate the airline and the airline should compensate the passenger as now they would have to look for other ways and means to get from A to B for either business or leisure and there may be cancellations there also as shared by the state of things as Aviar shared in post 154 above.

Irehdna

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Looks like AI quietly cancelled the AI105 BOM-JFK service all together. Didn't fly today, no scheduled flights showing up later on. This flight is no longer in booking engine.

avier

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:42 pm

SG should take a dozen of 9W's grounded planes in the interim to fill the void of their MAX groundings. Will help 9W too get some cash for those idle planes. Maybe SG can even work on the MX part and wok out something there.

EmoticonsAllDay

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Review: SPICEJET 737- FILTHY, CHAOTIC, TERRIBLE!

Josh Cahill has rated SG as the world's worst LCC in his recent video.

Link to youtube video: https://youtu.be/u-TEeGmdZ5Q

CaliguyNYC

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:29 pm

Irehdna wrote:
Looks like AI quietly cancelled the AI105 BOM-JFK service all together. Didn't fly today, no scheduled flights showing up later on. This flight is no longer in booking engine.

I noticed that as well. Shocker from my pov. AI heard Delta might start so bam they start. The VFR crowd to BOM lives around EWR. That is AI's bread and butter. The BOM crowd by JFK is more professional spewing and unlikely to fly AI. The DEL crowd around JFK is AI's target. AI should have launched either EWR-DEL or increased IAD to daily (6X). What I like about US aviation is that it is not really a me too. The US3 are pretty focused on growing their hubs and flying nonstop to partner hubs or strong O&D markets. Indian aviation is stuck in the - oh you are going to do that, I will do it first or do it after you to drive you out. They will launch a flight even if they have no business flying that route.

On a final provocative note, maybe AI found out that DL is starting JFK-BOM (I would imagine the GOI would know which is basically AI).

binayak

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Irehdna wrote:

I noticed that as well. Shocker from my pov. AI heard Delta might start so bam they start. The VFR crowd to BOM lives around EWR. That is AI's bread and butter. The BOM crowd by JFK is more professional spewing and unlikely to fly AI. The DEL crowd around JFK is AI's target. AI should have launched either EWR-DEL or increased IAD to daily (6X). What I like about US aviation is that it is not really a me too. The US3 are pretty focused on growing their hubs and flying nonstop to partner hubs or strong O&D markets. Indian aviation is stuck in the - oh you are going to do that, I will do it first or do it after you to drive you out. They will launch a flight even if they have no business flying that route.

On a final provocative note, maybe AI found out that DL is starting JFK-BOM (I would imagine the GOI would know which is basically AI).

AI hasn't cancelled JFK-BOM altogether . It is still bookable for june .

yashk

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:26 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Irehdna wrote:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 379142.cms

AI has also combined the Mumbai-JFK and Mumbai-Newark (EWR) flights till April 30. “While Delhi-US-Delhi flights need a technical halt, we can fly direct from Mumbai to the US with some payload penalty (less passengers and baggage to carry more fuel),” said the official.

Since UA is stopping on the way from BOM, AI would be the only non stop from BOM. As per the article, DEL-IAD is routed via BOM, does that mean a BOM passenger can fly to IAD non stop?

trinidadeG

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:36 pm

Seems like SG won't be heavily affected by the MAX groundings. According to this CNBC article, the introduction of the MAXs had created a slack in overall aircraft utilisation and that will be used to absorb some of the shock of the 12 MAXs getting grounded.

What the grounding of the Boeing 737 Max 8 planes means for SpiceJet and its passengers, explained.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/what- ... h9zdtgVzpQ

Irehdna

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pm

yashk wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
Irehdna wrote:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 379142.cms

AI has also combined the Mumbai-JFK and Mumbai-Newark (EWR) flights till April 30. “While Delhi-US-Delhi flights need a technical halt, we can fly direct from Mumbai to the US with some payload penalty (less passengers and baggage to carry more fuel),” said the official.

Since UA is stopping on the way from BOM, AI would be the only non stop from BOM. As per the article, DEL-IAD is routed via BOM, does that mean a BOM passenger can fly to IAD non stop?

Honestly if AI can make BOM-US nonstop I don't know what's stopping then from just shifting DEL-JFK/ORD to BOM-JFK/ORD. There should still be some O/D demand from BOM and now BOM is the best positioned Indian airport for Europe/Africa/NA.

UA is going to have a lot of trouble on this route if AI is still nonstop, as many others would prefer doing BOM-MUC-EWR (or another NA destination) on LH rather than UA, or just take EK. I wouldn't be surprised if UA cancels India all together in the near future.

Also don't forget that AC is still flying BOM-YYZ nonstop.

yashk

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:00 pm

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 398283.cms

AI has cancelled DEL/ATQ-BHX and DEL-MAD

I guess the worst performing routes are getting axed. I am glad ATQ-BHX is gone, seemed like a super bad route to begin with.

dtw2hyd

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:12 pm

State of Indian Aviation

India - Airspace restriction issues
Mumbai - Runway resurfacing
AI - Debt issues
9W - Debt issues/Cashflow issues/MAX issues
6E - Crew issues/GTF issues
SG - Crew issues/MAX issues
G8 - GTF issues
UK - Growth issues.
I5 - Investigation issues

devmapper

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:38 pm

Irehdna wrote:
Honestly if AI can make BOM-US nonstop I don't know what's stopping then from just shifting DEL-JFK/ORD to BOM-JFK/ORD. There should still be some O/D demand from BOM and now BOM is the best positioned Indian airport for Europe/Africa/NA.

UA is going to have a lot of trouble on this route if AI is still nonstop, as many others would prefer doing BOM-MUC-EWR (or another NA destination) on LH rather than UA, or just take EK. I wouldn't be surprised if UA cancels India all together in the near future.

Slots? The ability to connect passengers from other cities in India? Runway length? The fact that DEL is closer to NA than any other major airport in India?

I am an AI-fanboy, but even I don't think UA would be in any trouble on any of their EWR-India flights if AI starts competing directly. AI has been in direct competition to UA on its flights to EWR for years now. If anything, AI has had trouble making BOM-EWR work.

Irehdna

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:35 am

devmapper wrote:
Irehdna wrote:

Slots? The ability to connect passengers from other cities in India? Runway length? The fact that DEL is closer to NA than any other major airport in India?

I am an AI-fanboy, but even I don't think UA would be in any trouble on any of their EWR-India flights if AI starts competing directly. AI has been in direct competition to UA on its flights to EWR for years now. If anything, AI has had trouble making BOM-EWR work.

You need to realise that nearly all DEL-EU/US flights have to nearly overfly BOM/STV now. There is little point for having someone fly HYD-DEL or BOM-DEL only to come back south to Maharashtra to reach Chicago/JFK.

The fact that AI can make US East Coast from BOM but not DEL is telling of this. At least hand a nonstop from somewhere in India. Many people can connect via BOM.

anshabhi

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:40 am

A regular B738 was able to replace a MAX on DEL-HKG for SG
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 1#1fcac47c

VTCIE

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:53 am

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:

This despite SG having all the amenities I wrote about below. I doubt Cahill has ever flown Ryanair in his life; they deserve to be called the worst. I am taking this video with a sachet of Tata Namak I got on my Vistara flight.*

*This part is in jest, since no airline is going to serve branded namak.

VTCIE wrote:
avier wrote:
binayak wrote:
Well congratulations IndiGo !

A review by a blogger on 2 Indian LCCs . (6E and SG )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q1cwbAIxXU

6:49 and 6:54 really made me scared ! :o

I dislike SG the most amongst the Indian carriers. Find them very unprofessional as an airline, and little things do count like highlighted by the blogger in the last few glimpses of the video.
Maybe it's got to do with not having many expats in the airlines management, so a lot of the Indian mentality reflects in the airline like it does even at AI.

I can’t comment on whether SG is good or not, but I find 6E to be excellent for what it offers. For what it’s worth, SG is the only Indian LCC that has Wi-Fi (upcoming), streaming IFE and hot meals across all its aircraft, something that 6E and G8 cannot claim for even a single aircraft.

From an American perspective, 6E/G8 are Spirit while SG is Southwest; from a European perspective, 6E/G8 are easyJet while SG is Norwegian. In other words, 6E and G8 are true ULCCs; SG has a few premium offerings. (I have compared 6E and G8 to A320 operators, and SG to 737 operators.) In its defence, SG introduces little innovations in its onboard product that the others will not dare to, not even on a DEL-IST flight. But I can certainly agree with the vlogger that SG is most definitely NOT the epitome of LCC perfection; whatever little 6E does, it does absolutely properly (and with dollops of tongue-in-cheek humour on the side in its ads and inflight magazines). I cannot comment about G8 as I have never flown it. Perhaps you people will be the better judge as to whether GoAir is as good as 6E or not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dtw2hyd wrote:
State of Indian Aviation

AI - Debt issues
G8 - GTF issues
UK - Growth issues.

Since you have mentioned one airport, let me mention a few others.

BLR: Second runway coming up this year. Second terminal in a few years. Continuously improving PaxEx.
DEL: Rapidly ascending the list of the world’s busiest airports.
AMD, LKO, JAI, GAU, etc.: All well on course to privatisation.
NMIA: No hiccups yet (though there will be plenty later).

Not all is doom and gloom in Indian aviation.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

edealinfo

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:12 pm

vistara has received government approval to fly overseas. The approval was received a few days before elections were announced

mohitaviator

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:17 pm

If the Pakistani Airspace is still closed for most International Transit flights...then why AI is suspending BHX & MAD flights from Delhi & ATQ...They can operate the same by deploying the specific B787-8 at BOM and operate as
BOM-MAD
BOM-BHX
If the connecting flight to Delhi is concerned the AI flies around 16 flights a day between DEL & BOM...they can use any of the 16 flights for connecting Passengers to Delhi...or they can use BOM for connecting passengers to other destinations...as a hub like it was prior to opening of T3 in Delhi...

DEL-BOM-MAD
DEL-BOM-BHX
ATQ-BOM-BHX
They can utilize the B744 for BOM-DEL & say A321 for BOM-ATQ....

What all are your views...

sibibom

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:38 pm

mohitaviator wrote:
If the Pakistani Airspace is still closed for most International Transit flights...then why AI is suspending BHX & MAD flights from Delhi & ATQ...They can operate the same by deploying the specific B787-8 at BOM and operate as
BOM-MAD
BOM-BHX
If the connecting flight to Delhi is concerned the AI flies around 16 flights a day between DEL & BOM...they can use any of the 16 flights for connecting Passengers to Delhi...or they can use BOM for connecting passengers to other destinations...as a hub like it was prior to opening of T3 in Delhi...

DEL-BOM-MAD
DEL-BOM-BHX
ATQ-BOM-BHX

Yields on these sectors are trash, they are better off sending planes to more profitable destinations. Or reconfigure some planes with all economy for low yield destinations. There is no point when 1/3rd of floor space is wasted with a business class that has a few or no paying customers.

avier

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:39 pm

mohitaviator wrote:
BOM-MAD
BOM-BHX

DEL-BOM-MAD
DEL-BOM-BHX
ATQ-BOM-BHX

Easier said than done.

Airlines are granted permission to operate between two cities. It's not that simple to move that to another city with no such permission for an int'l flight. That too the airport suggested by you (BOM) is slot controlled, heavily congested, and shut for repairs at peak hours during the day. So a very poor suggestion indeed.

binayak

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:53 pm

VTCIE wrote:
EmoticonsAllDay wrote:

This despite SG having all the amenities I wrote about below. I doubt Cahill has ever flown Ryanair in his life; they deserve to be called the worst. I am taking this video with a sachet of Tata Namak I got on my Vistara flight.*

*This part is in jest, since no airline is going to serve branded namak.

That "world's worst LCC " is just a symbol of the fact that he had a bad experience . Such titles are given to generate more views .
SG's MAX product is good . I hope he tries that sometime later .
I'll call it bad luck that he couldn't experience any of the latest domestic products in India ( UK a320neo , 9W 737max, SG 737max) even though he reviewed most Indian airlines .

dtw2hyd

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:03 pm

binayak wrote:
That "world's worst LCC " is just a symbol of the fact that he had a bad experience.

Looks like he walked in with an agenda or the visa rules set him off. Or SMWs have a new target

avier

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:31 pm

binayak wrote:

That "world's worst LCC " is just a symbol of the fact that he had a bad experience . Such titles are given to generate more views .
I'll call it bad luck that he couldn't experience any of the latest domestic products in India ( UK a320neo , 9W 737max, SG 737max) even though he reviewed most Indian airlines .

I completely agree with you that SG now has a much better product on their 737MAX. However, the issue with them is not always about their hard product, but more so their staff attitude and their professionalism. I find they recruit cabin crew purely on aesthetics and they seem to lack manners. Even the way they stroll around at airports before or after their flights, make some of them look very cheap. Many of their female FA's leave their hair loose, which goes against the general rule book for crew grooming adopted around the world of having hair tied-up to prevent the unlikely situation of hair falling/shedding over pax or their meals during service. Also their ads of red-hot-spicy with women showing their legs in their uniforms cheapens the brand. I know they are trying to tempt more male frequent fliers, but they could adopt a better strategy for that.
If find 6E crew generally very professional and they take their job very seriously.
Regarding SG hard product, they lease & wet-lease so many aircrafts, and don't bother to standardize them with their main SG seats, and rather keep the previous existing seating on board which makes their entire fleet have a very inconsistent product. Worst off, they haven't properly painted so many of their planes, operating as white ghost planes, which from a branding perspective is suicide.

dtw2hyd

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:40 pm

avier wrote:
binayak wrote:

I completely agree with you that SG now has a much better product on their 737MAX. However, the issue with them is not always about their hard product, but more so their staff attitude and their professionalism. I find they recruit cabin crew purely on aesthetics and they seem to lack manners. Even the way they stroll around at airports before or after their flights, make some of them look very cheap. Many of their female FA's leave their hair loose, which goes against the general rule book for crew grooming adopted around the world of having hair tied-up to prevent the unlikely situation of hair falling/shedding over pax or their meals during service. Also their ads of red-hot-spicy with women showing their legs in their uniforms cheapens the brand. I know they are trying to tempt more male frequent fliers, but they could adopt a better strategy for that.
If find 6E crew generally very professional and they take their job very seriously.
Regarding SG hard product, they lease & wet-lease so many aircrafts, and don't bother to standardize them with their main SG seats, and rather keep the previous existing seating on board which makes their entire fleet have a very inconsistent product. Worst off, they haven't properly painted so many of their planes, operating as white ghost planes, which from a branding perspective is suicide.

Some of these ideas were of Sanjiv Kapoor's, who is an excellent brand image manager. Kapoor used to constantly introduce new marketing ideas, like weekend uniforms and festive dresses... His skills are getting wasted at a conservative group owned airline, SG is stuck with stagnant ideas.

Ajay Singh is a money manager. SG is a RASM leader among LCCs.

pune

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:21 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
State of Indian Aviation

AI - Debt issues
G8 - GTF issues
UK - Growth issues.

UK is which airlines , British Airways ?

The same issue with I5 , which airways ?

I tried looking up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_codes but couldn't find the airline code for either of them :(

VTORD

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:40 pm

pune wrote:

I tried looking up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_codes but couldn't find the airline code for either of them :(

UK = Vistara
I5 = Air Asia India

slickvik

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:44 pm

yashk wrote:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/air-india-cancels-some-europe-flights-due-to-crew-aircraft-shortage/articleshow/68398283.cms

I guess the worst performing routes are getting axed. I am glad ATQ-BHX is gone, seemed like a super bad route to begin with.

Huge punjabi diaspora in UK, that's why it was made. I think Y has good yields, but J probably close to 0. In the future my guess is IXC will get this flight if/when it actually goes international.

slickvik

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:46 pm

sibibom wrote:
mohitaviator wrote:
BOM-MAD
BOM-BHX

DEL-BOM-MAD
DEL-BOM-BHX
ATQ-BOM-BHX

Yields on these sectors are trash, they are better off sending planes to more profitable destinations. Or reconfigure some planes with all economy for low yield destinations. There is no point when 1/3rd of floor space is wasted with a business class that has a few or no paying customers.

BHX should be 100% economy, because not much business in ATQ. Economy yields tend to be good because of relatives coming in and out.

pune

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:46 pm

VTORD wrote:
pune wrote:

UK = Vistara
I5 = Air Asia India

Could somebody elaborate on what investigation issues surround I5 i.e Air Asia India ?

binayak

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:03 pm

pune wrote:
VTORD wrote:
pune wrote:

UK = Vistara
I5 = Air Asia India

Could somebody elaborate on what investigation issues surround I5 i.e Air Asia India ?

They are being investigated for a case of money laundering for the closure of 20/5 rule.

yashk

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:36 pm

slickvik wrote:
yashk wrote:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/air-india-cancels-some-europe-flights-due-to-crew-aircraft-shortage/articleshow/68398283.cms

Huge punjabi diaspora in UK, that's why it was made. I think Y has good yields, but J probably close to 0. In the future my guess is IXC will get this flight if/when it actually goes international.

It doesnt matter if they can fill up the plane from ATQ, its a matter of diverting focus and limited resources. Adding a new route from Delhi/ increasing frequency would be way better usage of that Dreamliner. Strengthening a hub leads to positive network effects and Delhi (even BOM) has a long way to go before AI should start focusing on smaller cities. Same goes for AMD-LHR: Colossal waste of a plane and LHR slot.

slickvik

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 pm

yashk wrote:
slickvik wrote:
yashk wrote:

It doesnt matter if they can fill up the plane from ATQ, its a matter of diverting focus and limited resources. Adding a new route from Delhi/ increasing frequency would be way better usage of that Dreamliner. Strengthening a hub leads to positive network effects and Delhi (even BOM) has a long way to go before AI should start focusing on smaller cities. Same goes for AMD-LHR: Colossal waste of a plane and LHR slot.

The reason why ATQ was started was for the days when DEL-BHX wasn't running. So what were the wasted resources? Focusing only on hubs is a silly strategy, yes they are important but smaller airports should have flights as well, maybe with smaller planes but should still have some international flights. There are countries all over the world where cities just 1 hour apart driving have international flights in addition to the bigger hubs of the nation.

devmapper

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:39 pm

Irehdna wrote:
You need to realise that nearly all DEL-EU/US flights have to nearly overfly BOM/STV now. There is little point for having someone fly HYD-DEL or BOM-DEL only to come back south to Maharashtra to reach Chicago/JFK.

The fact that AI can make US East Coast from BOM but not DEL is telling of this. At least hand a nonstop from somewhere in India. Many people can connect via BOM.

The key word being now, under abnormal circumstances, while the Pakistan airspace is closed to flights to destinations in India. Under normal circumstances, any flight from any major airport in India south of Delhi to the NA East coast following the great circle route would either overfly DEL or be within 1% deviation. The flight pattern followed out of DEL by all airlines have a short hop across Pakistan's and Afghanistan's airspace before going into the airspace of the (politically much friendlier to India) CIS countries and Russia. Any flight from BOM would have to cross the Pakistan and Afghanistan airspaces at the widest points to keep close to the great circle routes, or detour west and turn right over Iran. Why would any airline, let alone a loss-making one like AI spend more money on fuel to route passengers through an airport where it is not possible to create a hub operation?

The DEL-SFO flights overfly CCU, should AI now switch the SFO flights to originate out of CCU instead of DEL?

StormRider

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:49 pm

pune wrote:

Just search "airline code UK" (as an example) directly in Google , usually you get the answer right away without any more clicks.
edit:bad example as UK search does not quickly return Vistara..but in general it works..

better search tool is this ->
https://www.iata.org/publications/Pages ... earch.aspx

edit2: also Vistara IS listed in the link you posted although that is a reverse lookup so not that helpful with just the code.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_codes_(V) (right at the bottom)

pune

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:32 pm

StormRider wrote:
pune wrote:

Just search "airline code UK" (as an example) directly in Google , usually you get the answer right away without any more clicks.
edit:bad example as UK search does not quickly return Vistara..but in general it works..

edit2: also Vistara IS listed in the link you posted although that is a reverse lookup so not that helpful with just the code.

The problem with the second example you gave is, I would have no way associated Vistara with UK but with VS or at the most VK . I am sure there is a reasonable explanation why Vistara was given the code UK but doesn't make sense to me . I am sure knowledgeable people like you may show the way :)

StormRider

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:38 pm

^that's why I said that reverse look up will not work in your case as the pages were alphabetically ordered by airline names...also I am in no way any more knowledgeable than you, just an aviation fan like you I guess.
As for why it is not VS or VK ? It already exists - Virgin Atlantic and Anisec Luftfahrt GmbH (had to look it up)

edealinfo

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:27 pm

pune wrote:
StormRider wrote:
pune wrote:

The problem with the second example you gave is, I would have no way associated Vistara with UK but with VS or at the most VK . I am sure there is a reasonable explanation why Vistara was given the code UK but doesn't make sense to me . I am sure knowledgeable people like you may show the way :)

The “UK”.....is because they want to be associated with something “phoren” which Indians associate to be better. That’s why for years India has “export quality” goods and presumably domestic quality goods creating a caste structure that goes into the deep Indian psyche.

trinidadeG

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:34 am

yashk wrote:

As already mentioned , they've been temporarily halted due to crew shortage, among other things. I doubt financial performance is a factor here as others have pointed out.

AI had on Wednesday announced temporarily suspending its popular Delhi-Madrid-Delhi, Delhi-Birmingham-Delhi and Delhi-Amritsar-Birmingham flights from this Saturday “due to operational reasons till further notice”. The airline has done so due a mix of reasons like crew shortage caused by west-bound flights taking longer route after Pakistan airspace closure and hence they need to fly with more crew members.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 414783.cms

yashk

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:16 am

trinidadeG wrote:
yashk wrote:

As already mentioned , they've been temporarily halted due to crew shortage, among other things. I doubt financial performance is a factor here as others have pointed out.

AI had on Wednesday announced temporarily suspending its popular Delhi-Madrid-Delhi, Delhi-Birmingham-Delhi and Delhi-Amritsar-Birmingham flights from this Saturday “due to operational reasons till further notice”. The airline has done so due a mix of reasons like crew shortage caused by west-bound flights taking longer route after Pakistan airspace closure and hence they need to fly with more crew members.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 414783.cms

Yes but it clearly shows the worst performing out of the lot. They could have literally cancelled any of the existing Dreamliner routes such BOM-FRA / second daily DEL-LHR etc etc but they chose the ones that bleed them the most.

unrave

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:25 am

AI has never had any compulsion to be a financially responsible airline so them continuing or suspending a route does not indicate anything about that route's profitability. In fact nearly all of them must be bleeding money anyway
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

lutfi

Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:02 am

edealinfo wrote:
pune wrote:
StormRider wrote:

The “UK”.....is because they want to be associated with something “phoren” which Indians associate to be better. That’s why for years India has “export quality” goods and presumably domestic quality goods creating a caste structure that goes into the deep Indian psyche.

There is only a limited number of 2 letter codes at anyone time that IATA have available - UK was probably the only/ best one available, as most airlines prefer not to use numbers. I.e. EVA have to use BR..., Lion Air is JT. At least UK is more memorable than those!

Note that it used to belong to British Island Airways and then Air UK/ KLM UK, and came free in 2003 I think when was merged with KLM CityHopper (WA)

The 'real' corprate name of Vistara is TATA-SIA airlines, Vistara is a marketing name

unrave

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:32 am

IndiGo's April expansion

anshabhi

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 am

edealinfo wrote:
pune wrote:
StormRider wrote:

+++
Even "IN" code isn't used by any airline

unrave

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:16 am

The only relevant IATA code that appears to be available is IS - signifying the jv between India and Singapore, but alas IS is not a good code to have in these times.

blrsea

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:49 am

anshabhi wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
pune wrote:

+++
Even "IN" code isn't used by any airline

https://www.iata.org/publications/Pages ... earch.aspx says its used by PT Nam Airlines in Vietnam

pune

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:12 am

unrave wrote:
IndiGo's April expansion

These I guess are all the new flights happening. Does anybody have any data of total number of flights taken by Indigo per-day. It might be interesting to see how much they fly and how much they keep as backup for emergencies, discounting the 737 MAX (if any) and any Airbus A320/1 NEO's which may have issue.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos