unrave

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - March 2019

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:06 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
TK - Get more frequencies and stations in India
6E - Get codeshares to 20 European cities.

Both haven't been achieved, just going thru motions.

Falsifying this statement above, IndiGo has started selling TK flights with 6E codes. The destinations covered at present are Athens, Malta, Brussels, Budapest and Tel Aviv. Expect more destinations to be added.
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

unrave

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:04 pm

DGCA data for Feb 2019:

Feb 2019 month pax: 11.3m (+5.6%)
Lowest traffic growth in 4.5 years
IndiGo has further consolidated domestic market share to 43.4%

sibibom

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Well, 2019 is going to be a muted year, especially now with the Jet drama. Just like it was in 2012 with Kingfisher. But 2020 should see 15-20% growth to make up for all the missed opportunity.

unrave

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:28 pm

VT-IUA landed in Istanbul a few minutes back and was given a water salute

avier

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:31 pm

^ After a very very long flight. They left at 10:30am IST ? Almost 11hrs?

sibibom

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:41 pm

avier wrote:

I assume longer flight cos the technical stop at Doha.

CPS001

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:48 pm

unrave wrote:
This pic is from when it was delivered and arrived at DEL for the first time.

unrave

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:52 pm

CPS001 wrote:
unrave wrote:

Is it? It was Tweeted by a Turkish aviation blog

CPS001

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:59 pm

unrave wrote:
CPS001 wrote:
unrave wrote:

Is it? It was Tweeted by a Turkish aviation blog

Yes, IndiGo first tweeted it on 28th December of last year.

anshabhi

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:16 pm

avier wrote:

9.5 hours exactly

this pic has a TK a/c in background !!

https://twitter.com/shukla_tarun/status ... 0197564417

Happy Holi Guy's!!

edealinfo

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:12 pm

unrave wrote:

What was the occupancy percent on that flight?

JOYA380B747

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:25 am

The current SFO-DEL routing due Pak airspace closure is doing some seriously long flight times, with both their flights doing an average of 17:30 hrs of non-stop.

According to FR24, the AI184 77L did it in 18:30 hrs on 18th March!
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

avier

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:02 am

anshabhi wrote:
avier wrote:

9.5 hours exactly

That sounds like just flight time. They departed around 10:30am and arrived at 20:50 Indian Time ( 18:20 Turkey time). That's 10hrs 20min journey time for pax.

pune

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:18 am

Apparently the Delhi - DOH leg took 5 hours as Pak airspace is closed. If memory serves correct, the timing is between 2.5 hrs - 3 hours at the most for DEL - DOH before the whole Pak airspace issue.

Blerg

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:22 am

So that means 6E has used up its bilateral rights to Turkey? I am surprised they haven't launched a daily flight from BOM. It wouldn't be as affected by the airspace closure as DEL flights.

avier

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 am

Blerg wrote:
So that means 6E has used up its bilateral rights to Turkey? I am surprised they haven't launched a daily flight from BOM. It wouldn't be as affected by the airspace closure as DEL flights.

I'm betting they will soon ;-)
After they'll drop the supposed placeholder flight to IST, being the second frequency from DEL.

Blerg

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:08 am

avier wrote:
Blerg wrote:

After they'll drop the supposed placeholder flight to IST, being the second frequency from DEL.

You think an Indian airline would have stepped in and launch the flight had they not done that?

unrave

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 am

No, there is not much traffic between India and Turkey to warrant standalone LCC flights without the backing of codeshare support at the destination

Blerg

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:35 am

unrave wrote:
No, there is not much traffic between India and Turkey to warrant standalone LCC flights without the backing of codeshare support at the destination

That's what I thought but I was confused by the flight being referred to it being a placeholder... a placeholder for what exactly?

avier

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:10 am

Blerg wrote:
avier wrote:
Blerg wrote:

You think an Indian airline would have stepped in and launch the flight had they not done that?

Possibly. They just wanted to leave no room open. A rival airline could have also otherwise launched one flight to IST (thus exhausting bilaterals) and place codeshares on TK flights, and nothing would stop them from doing that.
Just because 6E got to codeshare with TK, doesn't stop any of their rivals from doing the same. 6E doesn't have any exclusivity over that.

Similar eg. 6E wants to replicate that model at DOH with QR through codeshares. But QR said they'd also codeshare with GoAir, 6E's rival.

Blerg

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:54 am

avier wrote:
Blerg wrote:
avier wrote:

Possibly. They just wanted to leave no room open. A rival airline could have also otherwise launched one flight to IST (thus exhausting bilaterals) and place codeshares on TK flights, and nothing would stop them from doing that.
Just because 6E got to codeshare with TK, doesn't stop any of their rivals from doing the same. 6E doesn't have any exclusivity over that.

Similar eg. 6E wants to replicate that model at DOH with QR through codeshares. But QR said they'd also codeshare with GoAir, 6E's rival.

Thanks. I always though Air India was a better partner for TK but I guess they are dedicated to LH Group which isn't on best terms with Turkish Airlines. IST has a much better location than VIE especially since it's at Europe's doorstep.

avier

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Blerg wrote:
avier wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Thanks. I always though Air India was a better partner for TK but I guess they are dedicated to LH Group which isn't on best terms with Turkish Airlines. IST has a much better location than VIE especially since it's at Europe's doorstep.

Indian govt. isn't very friendly with Turkey, since the latter supports India's enemy country. So no way AI will forge partnerships with TK.
That , and also the reason you mention.

Blerg

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:06 pm

avier wrote:
Blerg wrote:
avier wrote:

Indian govt. isn't very friendly with Turkey, since the latter supports India's enemy country. So no way AI will forge partnerships with TK.

I understand that the situation is difficult now but I am also referring to the situation before tension escalated with Pakistan. AI seemed to avoid TK and Turkey like the plague. It will be interesting to follow what becomes of AI in VIE. I can't imagine there being a lot of O&D demand so they probably rely heavily on connections from/to OS' network.

avier

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:22 pm

Blerg wrote:
avier wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I understand that the situation is difficult now but I am also referring to the situation before tension escalated with Pakistan. AI seemed to avoid TK and Turkey like the plague. It will be interesting to follow what becomes of AI in VIE. I can't imagine there being a lot of O&D demand so they probably rely heavily on connections from/to OS' network.

I'm not certain of what the demand is. But I've come across many travellers using that flight for travel between India and VIE's neighbouring nations - Czech, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, Croatia. Also, a lot of tourists from those places visiting India for various purposes using that connection.
Anyways, the frequency of AI is barely few times a week on 787.
Apart from that, their US flights that might be making a stop over there, is a temporary measure really.

CaliguyNYC

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Blerg wrote:
avier wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I think you missed the point. Turkey and India have really never been close because Turkey has supported Pakistan vs India for a very long time. Turkey's economy is tied to Europe so they tend to look West. The Gulf countries see much more economic interest in close ties with India.

VTCIE

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:55 am

Will any of you members feel the loss of Jet Airways (should the airline shut down, which is very likely)? Have you enjoyed its service at any point? Or do you feel ‘Good riddance to 9W’ deep within your soul?
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

BOMRPR

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 pm

VTCIE wrote:
Will any of you members feel the loss of Jet Airways (should the airline shut down, which is very likely)? Have you enjoyed its service at any point? Or do you feel ‘Good riddance to 9W’ deep within your soul?

Flyers from Mumbai have certainly enjoyed convenient flying timmings on 9W flights for years now, while their Premiere class is 2nd best , their economy class has been an inconsistent product.

For economy class flyers SG and 6E has a more consistent product , and for upper class Vistara has a much better product

If slots from BOM gets filled up by current airlines and there is no constraint on capacity. 9W is a good riddance

Although I would miss my Gold tier advantage which gave access to free premium seat selections, innumerable upgrades , access to lounges and priority check in / boarding !!

binayak

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:08 pm

VTCIE wrote:

As a close relative to a jet airways employee , yes I do feel the loss of the airline.
Add to that the fact that during my childhood ('93-'05) , I traveled in this one >90% times. So a personal liking remains.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

unnayan

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Definitely will miss it.. always adored it since childhood..when we only flew IC.. Jet aircrafts were such a treat to watch.. and actively followed Jet Privilege in whatever limited flying I did..

VTORD

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:32 pm

VTCIE wrote:

In ways I never even imagined until you asked this question :(

For at least 10 years, 9W's first departure of the day BOM-BDQ (I think it used to be 9W343) has been a staple for me after transiting from international. Same on the way out with their evening rotation back (they added a later flight at some point but until then it used to be the 4:30 PM from BDQ). Within India too, I used to frequently travel with my grandmother as a companion / chaperone and never had to worry about her with the 9W ground staff. Always gracious, always respectful and always helpful. My parents live under the flight path of BDQ and mom always used to tell me as recently as 2 weeks ago how the first 9W arrival of the day is her cue for "morning".

c'est la vie..... :(

VTCIE

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:32 am

VTORD wrote:
VTCIE wrote:

In ways I never even imagined until you asked this question :(

For at least 10 years, 9W's first departure of the day BOM-BDQ (I think it used to be 9W343) has been a staple for me after transiting from international. Same on the way out with their evening rotation back (they added a later flight at some point but until then it used to be the 4:30 PM from BDQ). Within India too, I used to frequently travel with my grandmother as a companion / chaperone and never had to worry about her with the 9W ground staff. Always gracious, always respectful and always helpful. My parents live under the flight path of BDQ and mom always used to tell me as recently as 2 weeks ago how the first 9W arrival of the day is her cue for "morning".

c'est la vie..... :(

I asked the question because, when an ill-managed airline shuts down, the A.net community generally tends to focus more on the misdeeds of its promoters. When AB went under, Etihad was questioned. Now Naresh Goyal is being questioned for his ethics in the 9W thread. Not to mention Kingfisher Airlines and Vijay Mallya. In the midst of all this, the emotional anguish and the void caused by an airline that is no more flying is very often forgotten.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

Blerg

Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:59 am

As mentioned before, 6E and TK have started code-sharing on each other's flights. Currently three more codes are pending government approval:

Istanbul – London Gatwick
Istanbul – London Heathrow
Istanbul – Vienna

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... arch-2019/

anshabhi

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:26 am

A very detailed review of 6E's DEL-DOH-IST:

https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.co ... -istanbul/
Honestly, I would go on this flight only as a punishment to myself.

Interestingly, 6E 15, the other DEL-IST scheduled on a A320neo still comes up as a non stop flight on booking systems, while 6E 11, the A321NEO comes as a through flight

unrave

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:00 am

anshabhi wrote:

I find the 3 hour DEL-CJB to be at the threshold of my tolerance in IndiGo's back breakers slimline seats

Blerg

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:26 am

If IndiGo wants to remain competitive they will have to improve their onboard product otherwise they will carry only those passengers who are chasing the cheapest fare on the market.That's never great for a business. Maybe as their international network grows there will be room to introduce a subfleet of more comfortable A321neo.

sand26391

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:36 am

A few friends of mine recently flew BLR-HKG and the load was ~170. They told me that that the return journey of around 6hr30min was definitely a pain. But he said for the price of the ticket 50% less than KA, he may consider flying with 6E again... ofcourse if its for family vacation & for official work it would be KA/SQ via SIN.
He definitely felt bored without IFE & the food was mediocre (as we all know). I think maximum flying time for me personally on A320 or Neo wud be a max of 3-4 hours.... more than that... Idk how I would survive myself unless I have some good company onboard.

avier

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:16 am

unrave wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

I find the 3 hour DEL-CJB to be at the threshold of my tolerance in IndiGo's back breakers slimline seats

Most airlines are moving towards slim line seats, and that's the future- atleast on NB's.
I flew AI's 320Neo's and they too have slim line seats. The leg space also felt like a typical 6E flight, and wasn't the same as their older fleets leg space. And AI uses these NEO's on India- Singapore.
The least I'd demand from such operators is have streaming IFE on PED. And maybe charging USB ports. Also, more variety probably on the catering aspect.

sand26391

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:56 am

Totally agree on the USB ports... Atleast that is a basic requirement.. for ex BLR-HKG-BLR on an A320N without an IFE is kinda understandable.. but no USB ports...
though the airline will switch the route to A321N this year.

binayak

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:33 am

IFE streaming or IFE screens are actually are a necessity in flights beyond 5-6 hours.
I remember in 2015 I flew in Egypt Air 737NG from Mumbai to Cairo in economy. Total flight time 7 hrs. Food and service was good but the absence of IFE made it feel like a loooong flight.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

sand26391

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:37 pm

^^ I was actually talking about last resort... Atleast have a USB port..

edealinfo

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:05 pm

avier wrote:
Blerg wrote:
avier wrote:
But QR said they'd also codeshare with GoAir, 6E's rival.

Frankly that's laughable. Would QR which is all about a luxury experience put their passengers on the super cheapo GoAir? Not logical!

unrave

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:22 pm

edealinfo wrote:

Frankly that's laughable. Would QR which is all about a luxury experience put their passengers on the super cheapo GoAir? Not logical!

Feed.

anshabhi

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:16 pm

On a similar note, do 6E pax get complimentary meals on their TK leg to Europe? If I am getting complimentary meals and drinks on IST-Europe, that would surely be a huge motivation to tolerate the DEL-IST leg !!

avier

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:31 pm

anshabhi wrote:
On a similar note, do 6E pax get complimentary meals on their TK leg to Europe? If I am getting complimentary meals and drinks on IST-Europe, that would surely be a huge motivation to tolerate the DEL-IST leg !!

When that pax flies on TK, they become TK pax and will receive the respective standard service of that carrier. I doubt a cabin crew member will just skip a pax during meal service seeing he connected from a 6E flight. A silly question indeed. Also in a way you're demeaning pax who fly 6E.

anshabhi

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:40 pm

avier wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

A silly question indeed. Also in a way you're demeaning pax who fly 6E.

I am only looking for reasons to choose this flight :roll:
Everyone likes complimentary stuff, and I feel sad when I don't get it. What's demeaning here?

edealinfo

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:02 pm

anshabhi wrote:

Of course they would. Turkish is not a cheapo airline.
Last edited by edealinfo on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edealinfo

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:03 pm

anshabhi wrote:
avier wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

A silly question indeed. Also in a way you're demeaning pax who fly 6E.

I am only looking for reasons to choose this flight :roll:
Everyone likes complimentary stuff, and I feel sad when I don't get it. What's demeaning here?

That you would go hungry on the Indigo flight so you can request and get a double serving on the Turkish Airlines flight.

edealinfo

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:03 pm

delete

pune

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:04 am

anshabhi wrote:

Interestingly, 6E 15, the other DEL-IST scheduled on a A320neo still comes up as a non stop flight on booking systems, while 6E 11, the A321NEO comes as a through flight

+1 very nice. I do hope that they improve the product soon otherwise competition may get the leg up as and when other airlines get into the same route and the Pak airspace clears.

pune

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:43 am

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos