Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JAXDan
Topic Author

JAX announces plans for new concourse

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:36 pm

JAX announced they are taking design bids for a new 6 gate concourse to be built by the end of 2022.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/with-traffic-surging-jacksonville-international-airport-adding-3rd-concourse

mikegigs

Re: JAX announces plans for new concourse

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:51 pm

While I think It's great that they are (finally) rebuilding Concourse B, I fear these gates will be underutilized. If I'm not mistaken, aren't there unused gates in Concourse C currently?

I bet the new concourse will be very nice, if it's anything like the current ones. With the other announced improvements, I really think JAX will be one of the nest small-to-mid-sized airports in the country.
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a long way to go!

WeatherPilot

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:14 pm

Seems like a lot construction/building for 6 extra gates.

JAXDan
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:37 pm

mikegigs wrote:
While I think It's great that they are (finally) rebuilding Concourse B, I fear these gates will be underutilized. If I'm not mistaken, aren't there unused gates in Concourse C currently?

In the morning hours every gate does get used at least once. With the 3-4 year construction time frame and recent record passenger growth I think they just want to be prepared for the future barring another recession.

JAXDan
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:56 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
Seems like a lot construction/building for 6 extra gates.

In the old master plan the new concourse would start with 6 gates but eventually could be expanded to 13 gates.

MIflyer12

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:13 pm

JAXDan wrote:
mikegigs wrote:

In the morning hours every gate does get used at least once.

That's not a very high standard of gate utilization, JAXDan. Do they average ten flights a gate between 6AM and 10PM? If so, then JAX might need more gates.

JAXDan
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:42 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
JAXDan wrote:
mikegigs wrote:

That's not a very high standard of gate utilization, JAXDan. Do they average ten flights a gate between 6AM and 10PM? If so, then JAX might need more gates.

I was just letting mikegigs know that all the gates do get used, but I would certainly acknowledge there is not a current need for more gates.

Cubsrule

Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:19 pm

JAXDan wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
JAXDan wrote:

I was just letting mikegigs know that all the gates do get used, but I would certainly acknowledge there is not a current need for more gates.

I'm not sure why the standard is 10 flights per day. Even airports that desperately need more gates (my home airport of BNA comes to mind) have quiet periods. Especially at a place like JAX that is essentially 100 percent O&D, gate use will ebb and flow.

About 80 percent of my flying out of JAX is on Monday mornings, and the added security checkpoint throughput will be a nice bonus that is sorely needed even at current passenger levels.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

jetmatt777

Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:53 pm

It also depends on the nature of the market. OKC is a similar example, the morning departure rush has close to 30 departures in about an hour and a half, while the rest of the day has about 50 total. This leads to the need for more boarding gates to accommodate that volume.

One might say those flights should be pushed to later time frames, but that doesn’t always work based on the geography of the airport and what connections the airport needs. Some airports tend to be busier at certain hours than others. Small to mid sized cities tend to be rushed in the morning so people can make early connections in the hubs. Whereas a city that can maintain an array of nonstop flights to non hub cities can get away with departures at other times because they bypass a hub.

burnsie28

Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:58 pm

Seems like adding on a few gates to the end of each of the current concourses would be cheaper and easier.

lightsaber

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:16 pm

JAXDan wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
JAXDan wrote:

The standard of ten flights/day is for high cost areas. Lower standards apply here. However, I'd concur gates are not needed.
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

FlyPNS1

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:30 pm

lightsaber wrote:
JAXDan wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

The standard of ten flights/day is for high cost areas. Lower standards apply here. However, I'd concur gates are not needed.

The standard of 10 flight/day per gate would be tough for an airport like JAX. You'd have routine and constant waits for gates during IRROPs situations.

The reality for an airport like JAX is that you only have departures between about 6am and 8pm. Few flights after 8pm as they have little to connect to by time they reach major hubs. So, realistically, you only have about a 14 hour day. And while 30 minute turns may still be possible for WN (even they rarely do them anymore), for the majors, the turn times can be much longer. Plus, many carriers also have gaps in their gate utilization exactly because they are timing flights to hit arrival banks at hubs which means gates in the outstations aren't optimally used, but it does optimize the hubs.

Bottomline, for an airport like JAX, once you get close to 8 flights per gate, you're really pushing it. I don't know if they're at that level, but that's the reality of gate management for a smaller-medium airport.

UALifer

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:54 am

Even the most gate constrained airports in the US generally don’t run 10 departures per gate. That’s an absurd standard.

osprey12

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:01 pm

With the record numbers at JAX the Jacksonville Aviation Authority is doing a lot of planning. Prior to announcing this expansion they awarded a contract for a master plan update in Dec 2018 to cover:

Update ALP to address the following items:
1. Incorporate facility and infrastructure improvements into existing conditions.
2. Airfield geometry to meet current FAA standards and consider operational constraints.
3. Remove the ultimate build out of Runway 8L-26R.
4. Relocated ATCT location planning study to depict proposed location.
5. Update property map.
6. Add future GA FIS location.
7. Add proposed rail corridor location along the northern property line.
8. Aviation activity forecast update, including review of 2010 peaking assumptions.
9. Terminal gate utilization.
10. Obstruction analysis.
11. AGIS airport data collection.
12. Areas for future air cargo, maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO), and general aviation facilities

727LOVER

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:38 pm

I hope they put an obs deck on the new concourse....dreaming of course.

Good for JAX.
January was their biggest month ever. Wasn't that NK's first full month? Coincidence?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

flybaby

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:57 pm

Nice, but let’s hope that a recession doesn’t spoil the plans for concourse C like it did last time.

It took JAX eleven years to work its way to surpassing the passenger numbers it hit back in 2007.

The one thing it does have going for it is that the metro area now has more than 15% greater population than it had a decade before.

flybaby

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:28 pm

727LOVER wrote:
January was their biggest month ever. Wasn't that NK's first full month? Coincidence?

Well, you might be mixing cause and effect a bit here.

JAX was already growing 15%+ Y/o/Y per month before Dec ‘18. Then it bumped up 17%+ Y/o/Y. Most likely seeing the already realized growth potential is what attracted NK, rather than NK itself being the primary driver of growth.

I suspect much of JAX’s growth potential comes from capturing area passengers otherwise being siphoned off by MCO and SFB due to cheaper and/or more direct flights.

AAflyguy

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:35 pm

Good for JAX!! There are no minimum times per day use requirements for an to expansion to be warranted. There are myriad reasons why an airport may need additional gate capacity, but it is generally based on Peak Day / Peak Hour Capacity. If at the busiest time there is greater demand than there is capacity, and the forecast is for that demand to grow further, the justification exists to expand. Further, permanent terminal expansions can’t be planned, built, and opened in a year, nor is it typically easy or feasible to just add a gate here & there. This is planning for what JAX obviously has determined is a demonstrated need by whatever its specific parameters are. Due to the generally long planning/design/construction horizon, it is difficult to target an expansion to occur only when there is no economic downturn. However, it tends to be more economomical to build during a downturn because generally construction costs are more favorable.

AAflyguy
Last edited by AAflyguy on Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAXDan
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:42 pm

727LOVER wrote:

I haven’t seen it in person but JAX recently tweeted there is a new pre security observation deck.
https://twitter.com/jaxairport/status/1100173352998715393?s=21

jplatts

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:53 pm

UALifer wrote:
Even the most gate constrained airports in the US generally don’t run 10 departures per gate. That’s an absurd standard.

There are actually a few U.S. airports such as AUS, DAL, LAX, and SJC where WN operates more than 10 departures per gate.

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:39 pm

jplatts wrote:
UALifer wrote:

There are actually a few U.S. airports such as AUS, DAL, LAX, and SJC where WN operates more than 10 departures per gate.

I’m not sure how much time you have spent in some of those places, but above about 9/day, things start to go south. AUS in particular is a mess despite a lot of practice operating in tight quarters.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

727LOVER

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:25 pm

JAXDan wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

I haven’t seen it in person but JAX recently tweeted there is a new pre security observation deck.
https://twitter.com/jaxairport/status/1100173352998715393?s=21

Good to know, thanx....I looked at the terminal mapm still trying to figure out the view.

Of course, nothing beats the old one :bouncy:

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

osprey12

Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:50 pm

The view is to the south with the main terminal baggage area on the left, Concourse C on the right, and the UPS cargo ramp & runway 14/32 in the center. The gallery should be located on the left side just before TSA when walking from the main entrance.

AAtakeMeAway

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:16 am

The best news in that article is that the sinks and counter tops in the bathrooms are being replaced

ATLFlyer323

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:45 am

I remember when I volunteered at the airport back in 09 they had a big display of the master plan that showed a sky tram taking people out to concourse B. I always thought it looked a little expensive for such a short walk. I have fond memories of JAX so Im glad to see the airport expanding and the 3rd concourse finally getting built!
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

FF630

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:47 am

JAX is my home airport. I remember when the airport opened at its present location in 1967 when I was 15, with 3 concources, A,B & C each with 7 gates. My first flight was from the previous airport imason Field on Main street, in a Delta DC-7 when I was 10 or so.

When I travel on an early morning flight it is gate crunch time depending on the day of the week since Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant do not run fights seven days a week. Gate crunch has only occurred in the past year since all three low cost airlines now seve JAX.
JAX probably needs on 2 or 3 more gates. Adding them to the end of the existing concourses would take 4 gates out during construction, therefore not practical. I am puzzled why the plan is relocating security, certainly needs a little expansion, both the TSA precheck and regular lines are a little long at times.

I notice JAX gets good ratings from users, it is a very nice medium size airport.

Just returned from LAX, hope Delta brings back the nonstop now that they are acquiring the A200's, although I understand they do not plan to use for flights over 1,500 miles. BTW, LAX is miserable as ever, be better when the hotel and rental car buses are sent to a transportation hub.

FF630

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:48 am

JAX is my home airport. I remember when the airport opened at its present location in 1967 when I was 15, with 3 concources, A,B & C each with 7 gates. My first flight was from the previous airport imason Field on Main street, in a Delta DC-7 when I was 10 or so.

When I travel on an early morning flight it is gate crunch time depending on the day of the week since Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant do not run fights seven days a week. Gate crunch has only occurred in the past year since all three low cost airlines now seve JAX.
JAX probably needs on 2 or 3 more gates. Adding them to the end of the existing concourses would take 4 gates out during construction, therefore not practical. I am puzzled why the plan is relocating security, certainly needs a little expansion, both the TSA precheck and regular lines are a little long at times.

I notice JAX gets good ratings from users, it is a very nice medium size airport.

Just returned from LAX, hope Delta brings back the nonstop now that they are acquiring the A200's, although I understand they do not plan to use for flights over 1,500 miles. BTW, LAX is miserable as ever, be better when the hotel and rental car buses are sent to a transportation hub.

flybaby

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:09 am

FF630 wrote:
I am puzzled why the plan is relocating security, certainly needs a little expansion, both the TSA precheck and regular lines are a little long at times.

They are probably trying to future proof any possible expansion to the security screening area, even if they don’t need a whole lot more room at the moment. The current area looks like it’s pretty much hemmed in on all sides.

osprey12

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:50 pm

FF630 wrote:

I agree that extending A and C right now would be impractical because of the gates you lose and the required ramp expansion. I don’t think they will need to expand the concrete much past where the old terminal was. The 2010 master plan has Concourse B followed by extending A and C. The old plan also discusses how many scanners they would need to add and the space required for different growth levels, so that isn’t surprising. It will be interesting to see what changes when the master plan update is complete.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos