Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

penguins
Topic Author

When was Pan Am's 'Blue Globe' livery introduced?

Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:23 pm

I've seen photos of the iconic livery on DC-3s and DC-7s, but I imagine the 707s were the first to receive the new scheme. Is that correct?

dcajet

Re: When was Pan Am's 'Blue Globe' livery introduced?

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:01 pm

It was first introduced in 1957 in preparation for the arrival of the 707s in 1958. DC-7s and Stratocruisers received the new livery, as did the DC-6s. Plenty of pictures of those with the blue globe are available on the web.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

BoeingGuy

Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:44 am

penguins wrote:
I've seen photos of the iconic livery on DC-3s and DC-7s, but I imagine the 707s were the first to receive the new scheme. Is that correct?

I didn’t know any PA DC-3s ever had the blue globe so I did a search. Sure enough, found several photos.

September11

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:16 am

Very old

I still see it at stores
Airliners.net of the Future

SELMER40

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:49 am

I first met the blue globe in August 1959 on the ramp at Miami with DC6B Clipper Goodwill. It looked new inside and outside.
Teaching this old dog a new trick

sparky35805

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:54 am

Fall of 1957 a DC-6B was painted in a variation featuring a blue tail with a white globe.Also a DC-7B leased from Panagra was painted like this.There is a photo of the 6B in an issue of Aviation week from October 1957.The first 707 was rolled out in the scheme that was adopted with a white tail with blue globe in December 1957.The Constellations and Convair 240s were gone by this time,but most other propliners had this scheme including several DC-4s and a few DC-3s.

mga707

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:54 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
penguins wrote:

I didn’t know any PA DC-3s ever had the blue globe so I did a search. Sure enough, found several photos.

I believe only one PA DC-3 got the updated colors. It was not used for scheduled service, but for corporate duties.

sparky35805

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:04 am

At least two DC-3s were painted.One was used for training and research and one was used as a corporate transport.It was pressed into scheduled service in Germany while runway construction at one city prevented larger aircraft from landing for a few months.N54705 was the research aircraft and N19912 was used on the internal German routes.

SXDFC

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:20 am

When did the PA “Billboard” livery come out? I believe it debuted with the Airbus right?

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:45 am

sparky35805 wrote:
At least two DC-3s were painted.One was used for training and research and one was used as a corporate transport.It was pressed into scheduled service in Germany while runway construction at one city prevented larger aircraft from landing for a few months.N54705 was the research aircraft and N19912 was used on the internal German routes.

I'll bet that was Gatow airport, in the far west of the British Sector.

http://mauerweg.morgenpost.de/

You can see an aerial of divided Berlin and today's Berlin, and you'll need to scroll to the left (west) to see Gatow airport, The eastern end is still visible, but the western end has houses built on it.

It is my understanding that there was a transfer of land between the British and Soviet sectors, as the city limits of Berlin , as established in the 1920 Great Berlin Act, were the agreed upon dividing lines between the Allies. Several neighborhoods in the Staaken district, while in the city limits, came under Soviet control, and were part of East Germany. To the best of my knowledge, that neighborhood has been reunited back into the formal boundaries of Berlin.

mga707

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:24 am

sparky35805 wrote:

Thank you for those details!

mga707

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:28 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
sparky35805 wrote:

I'll bet that was Gatow airport, in the far west of the British Sector.

http://mauerweg.morgenpost.de/

You can see an aerial of divided Berlin and today's Berlin, and you'll need to scroll to the left (west) to see Gatow airport, The eastern end is still visible, but the western end has houses built on it.

It is my understanding that there was a transfer of land between the British and Soviet sectors, as the city limits of Berlin , as established in the 1920 Great Berlin Act, were the agreed upon dividing lines between the Allies. Several neighborhoods in the Staaken district, while in the city limits, came under Soviet control, and were part of East Germany. To the best of my knowledge, that neighborhood has been reunited back into the formal boundaries of Berlin.

To the best of my knowledge, PA never flew to Gatow, only Templehof in those days, and later to Tegel. I think the airport in question is one of the smaller West German ones that they served from Berlin, such as Hanover or Stuttgart. Believe I've seen pictures of a DeHavilland Dove (or maybe Heron?) in Lufthansa colors that was used at that airport at that time for the same reason--only part of the runway was available for aircraft.

mga707

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:30 am

SXDFC wrote:
When did the PA “Billboard” livery come out? I believe it debuted with the Airbus right?

I remember that several 'test' color schemes, including the 'Billboard', were tried out on 747s before the 'Billboard' one was chosen.

Rudenko

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:36 am

SXDFC wrote:

It came out in 1984 and indeed was designed by Airbus Industries.
A300 was the first to wear it, followed by A310.

VC10er

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:42 am

Credit within the design or “logo” (now Branding) community for the classic PanAm globe goes to Chrmayeff & Geismar a firm that has done some of America’s and the world’s best symbol design. It is held in very high esteem. I don’t believe it’s on their website anymore- unless they have an historical section. Mid 20th the owners were vibrant personalities and there are many, many well known designers who trained there. If I was a big CEO and needed/wanted a new symbol I’d probably call them first. Though I’m unsure who the stars of the show are there today. Other contemporaries of their time was Saul Bass, Walter Landor and Paul Rand (IBM among many others famous fabulous symbols) and ALL were inked by HAND!!!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

aeromoe

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:53 pm

Rudenko wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

It came out in 1984 and indeed was designed by Airbus Industries.
A300 was the first to wear it, followed by A310.

Regardless of when and who, Airbus Industrie was singular, not plural "Industries"

Sorry, the seventh of every month is my dedicated "correct the internet" day...

:banghead: :white: :stirthepot:
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K