1) Some A330s are going to be replaced in the short-term
2) the 4 A346s are being retired
3) the older A380s are going by 2026 I believe
4) some older A32S are going to be replaced by NEOs
5) some or the 'older' 777s ain't getting younger either...
6) they will need more aircrafts for Air Italy (being these either new ones or hand-me downs)
7) they keep opening up many new destinations..
All of this to say that I don't get all the negativity and sarcasm around a large order for QR, considering they tend to operate fairly new aircrafts...
The negativity is from two reasons:
1. Their open skies with the EU prevents further subsidies.
2. Regional yeild is low.
3. The new IST is opening sometime in 2019 (more competition)
4. Mumbai will somewhat soon gain a new airport.
5. ET continues to grow (competition).
The ME3 aren't what they were 5 years ago. QR is over expanding (not profitably expanding). EY is wisely consolidating. EK ran out of airport at just the right time to force growth discipline.
Go back years and I was far more optimistic on ME3 growth. Conditions have changed, so my opinion changed. The only one of the ME3 run as a profit oriented enterprise was EK and they are squeaking by.
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.