Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
cougar15
Posts: 1447
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Stitch wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:
747-8f. :stirthepot:


They have two in the fleet and they evidently are used to import a fair bit of perishable goods due to the embargo so the idea they could want more might not be so preposterous.


Indeed, great sanction buster, not just for fresh produce!
some you lose, others you can´t win!
 
Bricktop
Posts: 1512
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:21 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
747-8f. :stirthepot:

Not impossible at all.
 
CRJ900
Posts: 2393
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:48 am

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:57 pm

What was QR's main motivation for buying the A350-1000? The fleet does mainly 6-8-hour flights and the occasional NYC or Tokyo per airframe... are they meant to be high-capacity ULH birds or just a bit of everything?

Side note: CX also use their A350-1000 on many short flights, but have ULH-quality cabins.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me
 
chonetsao
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:16 pm

CRJ900 wrote:
What was QR's main motivation for buying the A350-1000? The fleet does mainly 6-8-hour flights and the occasional NYC or Tokyo per airframe... are they meant to be high-capacity ULH birds or just a bit of everything?

Side note: CX also use their A350-1000 on many short flights, but have ULH-quality cabins.


Floor space for its Q suite, thus to keep premium seat counts high (46J vs 36J on A359).

Also the versatility of the aircraft, a bridge between A359 (283 seats) and B777 (Average 350 seats) against A350-1000(46J281Y=327).

No doubt at some stage when a B777-200LR (42J217Y=259 seats) went tech, the A350-1000 can replace it with some seats blocked.
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:18 pm

CRJ900 wrote:
What was QR's main motivation for buying the A350-1000? The fleet does mainly 6-8-hour flights and the occasional NYC or Tokyo per airframe... are they meant to be high-capacity ULH birds or just a bit of everything?

Side note: CX also use their A350-1000 on many short flights, but have ULH-quality cabins.


QR has 7 A35Ks, not really enough to be doing multiple long haul routes yet.

(Also QR701 is a daily A35K, not really occasional).

CX use all their long haul aircraft on short/regional routes, it's a staple of intra-Asian flying.
 
YouGeeElWhy
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:24 pm

QR could use something like the NMA
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 9411
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:54 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
QR could use something like the NMA


They will hardly be able to order the NMA at Paris.
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 9411
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:04 pm

george77300 wrote:
3rdGen wrote:
He's already stated that the first A380s will start leaving by 2025. In addition the 340s will all he gone by the end of the year.

The 330s should be phased out in the next 5 years. As for the 777 the oldest one is 12 years old. I'm not sure but I feel that the ME3 avoid using aircraft past 15 years old.

There is still no word on what is going on with the 320NEO order. It seems that far from being one of the launch customers the airline doesn't even want them any more. In fact it seems that after the blockade they don't actually utilise their entire current 320 fleet.

Qatar Executive has also recently started taking deliveries of the G500.

Air Italy also has the 737 order on the books, but I don't believe they have any wide bodies on order. So it could be wise bodies for air Italy, or alternatively it could be another cargo order.


In regards to the A320neo order. They were going to be one of the first and even had some aircraft fitted and painted but they weren’t happy with the Pratt Engines. Unsurprisingly. Typical Qatar then cancelled all a320neos and swapped all for A321neos (including some LRs) and swapped engines to to the LEAP.


There were no LEAP engines ordered. Qatar has not finalized the engine choice on the A321neo. But as it is, the GTF contract is still valid.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... -o-452408/
 
Arion640
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:10 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
QR could use something like the NMA


If i’m honest - i don’t think Qatar probably need anything more than they have on order.
 
RichardWelling
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:45 am

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:28 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
747-8f. :stirthepot:


I would love to see more 747-8F with the flying goat but I dont think there are markets where they can fill them.
 
musman9853
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:37 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
747-8f. :stirthepot:


they do have a couple iirc
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
ewt340
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:39 am

qf789 wrote:
ewt340 wrote:
The big potential would be A350 and A321neo though, it seems like they love these aircrafts.


How do they love the A321neo when they are yet to take delivery of any of the aircraft


Because it fits well into their operations?

They did order 50 of them. It's more likely that they would ordered it some more since this aircraft is versatile for their regional operations.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 5106
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:46 am

3rdGen wrote:
He's already stated that the first A380s will start leaving by 2025. In addition the 340s will all he gone by the end of the year.

The 330s should be phased out in the next 5 years. As for the 777 the oldest one is 12 years old. I'm not sure but I feel that the ME3 avoid using aircraft past 15 years old.

There is still no word on what is going on with the 320NEO order. It seems that far from being one of the launch customers the airline doesn't even want them any more. In fact it seems that after the blockade they don't actually utilise their entire current 320 fleet.

Qatar Executive has also recently started taking deliveries of the G500.
380
Air Italy also has the 737 order on the books, but I don't believe they have any wide bodies on order. So it could be wise bodies for air Italy, or alternatively it could be another cargo order.

the ME3 seem to get rid of airplanes at their first major Overhaul Well they might lose their shirts when it comes to the A380's.. Their other airplanes? Excellent material for the world freight market were they smart enough to use them for that purpose.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 20932
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:17 am

I remain skeptical QR needs more aircraft. Let us see at Paris.

mjoelnir wrote:
george77300 wrote:
3rdGen wrote:
He's already stated that the first A380s will start leaving by 2025. In addition the 340s will all he gone by the end of the year.

The 330s should be phased out in the next 5 years. As for the 777 the oldest one is 12 years old. I'm not sure but I feel that the ME3 avoid using aircraft past 15 years old.

There is still no word on what is going on with the 320NEO order. It seems that far from being one of the launch customers the airline doesn't even want them any more. In fact it seems that after the blockade they don't actually utilise their entire current 320 fleet.

Qatar Executive has also recently started taking deliveries of the G500.

Air Italy also has the 737 order on the books, but I don't believe they have any wide bodies on order. So it could be wise bodies for air Italy, or alternatively it could be another cargo order.


In regards to the A320neo order. They were going to be one of the first and even had some aircraft fitted and painted but they weren’t happy with the Pratt Engines. Unsurprisingly. Typical Qatar then cancelled all a320neos and swapped all for A321neos (including some LRs) and swapped engines to to the LEAP.


There were no LEAP engines ordered. Qatar has not finalized the engine choice on the A321neo. But as it is, the GTF contract is still valid.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... -o-452408/

Hmm... It seems like QR is negotiating hard. They have an old contract that sets an upper bound on pricing. I'm sure CFM and Pratt are negotiating. The winner could be either.

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.
 
RichardWelling
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:45 am

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:49 am

musman9853 wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:
747-8f. :stirthepot:


they do have a couple iirc


Only two frames at the moment.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2595
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:25 pm

Well, objectively:
1) Some A330s are going to be replaced in the short-term
2) the 4 A346s are being retired
3) the older A380s are going by 2026 I believe
4) some older A32S are going to be replaced by NEOs
5) some or the 'older' 777s ain't getting younger either...
6) they will need more aircrafts for Air Italy (being these either new ones or hand-me downs)
7) they keep opening up many new destinations..
All of this to say that I don't get all the negativity and sarcasm around a large order for QR, considering they tend to operate fairly new aircrafts...
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 20932
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:54 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Well, objectively:
1) Some A330s are going to be replaced in the short-term
2) the 4 A346s are being retired
3) the older A380s are going by 2026 I believe
4) some older A32S are going to be replaced by NEOs
5) some or the 'older' 777s ain't getting younger either...
6) they will need more aircrafts for Air Italy (being these either new ones or hand-me downs)
7) they keep opening up many new destinations..
All of this to say that I don't get all the negativity and sarcasm around a large order for QR, considering they tend to operate fairly new aircrafts...

The negativity is from two reasons:
1. Their open skies with the EU prevents further subsidies.
2. Regional yeild is low.
3. The new IST is opening sometime in 2019 (more competition)
4. Mumbai will somewhat soon gain a new airport.
5. ET continues to grow (competition).

The ME3 aren't what they were 5 years ago. QR is over expanding (not profitably expanding). EY is wisely consolidating. EK ran out of airport at just the right time to force growth discipline.

Go back years and I was far more optimistic on ME3 growth. Conditions have changed, so my opinion changed. The only one of the ME3 run as a profit oriented enterprise was EK and they are squeaking by.

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:07 pm

lightsaber wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
Well, objectively:
1) Some A330s are going to be replaced in the short-term
2) the 4 A346s are being retired
3) the older A380s are going by 2026 I believe
4) some older A32S are going to be replaced by NEOs
5) some or the 'older' 777s ain't getting younger either...
6) they will need more aircrafts for Air Italy (being these either new ones or hand-me downs)
7) they keep opening up many new destinations..
All of this to say that I don't get all the negativity and sarcasm around a large order for QR, considering they tend to operate fairly new aircrafts...

The negativity is from two reasons:
1. Their open skies with the EU prevents further subsidies.
2. Regional yeild is low.
3. The new IST is opening sometime in 2019 (more competition)
4. Mumbai will somewhat soon gain a new airport.
5. ET continues to grow (competition).

The ME3 aren't what they were 5 years ago. QR is over expanding (not profitably expanding). EY is wisely consolidating. EK ran out of airport at just the right time to force growth discipline.

Go back years and I was far more optimistic on ME3 growth. Conditions have changed, so my opinion changed. The only one of the ME3 run as a profit oriented enterprise was EK and they are squeaking by.

Lightsaber

Two reasons or five? :)
I think most of negativity comes from the fact that they already have 50 A321neo's, 40 A350-1000's, 60 777X's, and 30 789's on order, all of which are yet to be delivered outside of a couple of A350's. It doesn't seem like an airline that is hurting for orders.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:59 pm

The only thing I can think of is a conversion of an order (10 B789s converted to the B78X) or a top-up of B748Fs or A359s, possibly another 9 frames for an airline going all in on the A350XWB or 3 more B748s on the freighter side. Their existing order book consists of: 50 A321neo (10 of which will be A321LR), 35 additional A35Ks, 6 additional B77L freighters, 10 B778s, 50+50 B779s, and 30 B789s. Presume that the A330s (minus the 5 owned cargo frames) will leave the fleet; on the cargo side, that would make QR Cargo a 31-strong fleet of 5 each of A332s and B748s, and 21 B77L freighters.

I don't see the 9 B77Ls going anywhere, as they are needed for AKL and all are owned. But I do expect the following models to leave within the next 5 years: 2 A319s, 3 A320s, 6 A321s, 20 passenger A330s, 4 A346s, 10 A388s, and I'll say possibly 7 B77Ws.

Don't discount QAF either---they have some planes not exactly spring chickens, and if the passenger A330s are going, I expect the VIP frames to be put up for sale too, and those A340s are getting up in age as well. I would not be surprised to see an order for five B789s delivered green and two A20N frames also delivered green for QAF, as replacements for the A330/A340 VIP frames with lighter aircraft and longer range (that could be operated by QAF for 35-40 years) and the old A319 and A320 (line numbers below 2000).
 
ewt340
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Qatar Airways to order more aircraft at Paris Air Show

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:05 pm

lightsaber wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
Well, objectively:
1) Some A330s are going to be replaced in the short-term
2) the 4 A346s are being retired
3) the older A380s are going by 2026 I believe
4) some older A32S are going to be replaced by NEOs
5) some or the 'older' 777s ain't getting younger either...
6) they will need more aircrafts for Air Italy (being these either new ones or hand-me downs)
7) they keep opening up many new destinations..
All of this to say that I don't get all the negativity and sarcasm around a large order for QR, considering they tend to operate fairly new aircrafts...

The negativity is from two reasons:
1. Their open skies with the EU prevents further subsidies.
2. Regional yeild is low.
3. The new IST is opening sometime in 2019 (more competition)
4. Mumbai will somewhat soon gain a new airport.
5. ET continues to grow (competition).

The ME3 aren't what they were 5 years ago. QR is over expanding (not profitably expanding). EY is wisely consolidating. EK ran out of airport at just the right time to force growth discipline.

Go back years and I was far more optimistic on ME3 growth. Conditions have changed, so my opinion changed. The only one of the ME3 run as a profit oriented enterprise was EK and they are squeaking by.

Lightsaber


This could only means that QR would have to increase efficiency instead of adding capacity. So B787/A350 would be more likely then?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos