Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
ckfred
Posts: 5183
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:50 pm

Re: Rumor: American Airlines to Modify Project Oasis Planes.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Considering how many AA MD-80s and F100s I've flown, with no entertainment whatsoever, I always bring a book, a couple of magazines, and the Chicago Tribune and the WSJ. If the 738 has no IFE, I start with the WSJ.
 
EBiafore99
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Rumor: American Airlines to Modify Project Oasis Planes.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:36 pm

ckfred wrote:
Aceskywalker wrote:
I don’t understand the fixation on seat back IFE that many people have on this forum.

Wouldn’t it be simpler to have in seat power in all seats and bring your own device?


Here's the rub. I don't travel for business, so I don't have a laptop. I have a tablet, but it's ancient and very slow. I only take my phone, which the holder in the seatback won't hold.

Now, my wife has a company laptop, but she is precluded by company policy from using anywhere but the office, at home, or at a client site, because of the need for secure Wi-Fi.

I've said this before, but I heard Mike Greenberg of ESPN tell about sitting next to a UA vice president on a flight to Chicago. The VP said that all airlines are wrestling with the decisions about IFE. So many people now have devices loaded with lots of music, and often, TV shows or movies. At the time of the conversation, people were starting to use Netflix and Hulu on devices, and customers were asking for faster Wi-Fi, in order to get better quality streaming.

United was mulling the question of pulling out the IFE in total, pulling out overhead and seatback screens (meaning there would still be armrest audio plugs), or simply leaving IFE and adding better Wi-Fi.

IFE adds weight, with a box for every group of 3 seats. Take out the boxes, and you can either add more cargo or increase the fuel load. Either way, no IFE and better Wi-Fi would probably be more efficient.

It's not an easy decision.


I believe on DL A220, the IFE is wireless so it saves on weight and no box; however, I don't know the performance of the system. If this type of set-up is a success, I wonder if it will be a "game changer"?
 
9w748capt
Posts: 1753
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Rumor: American Airlines to Modify Project Oasis Planes.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:00 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
Oh ok - so now DL management is dumb and doesn't know what they're doing? Hahaha good one. The most profitable of the US3 (by far) all of a sudden has an incompetent management team.

Doesn't mean it's the right one financially? Then why do they keep doing it?!

I'm not arguing (nor have I argued) that DL's superior results are BECAUSE of IFE. Association is not causation! But there's no doubt about the results - one of the US3 is far outperforming the other two.


Don't backtrack now. You've clearly made the implication many times that DL's financial results are in part because of IFE. It's not a "coincidence" you keep making the connection.

Do you honestly think that airlines (or any other person for that matter) never make mistakes? Of course not, and of course mistakes alone doesn't mean someone is incompetent. Let's say in general it is the right move financially. Then why are WN, UA, AA, AS, NK, F9, etc. (some with better margins than DL) shying away and making a mistake? They must be incompetent, right?

All we can say is there's a difference in strategy. What we can't unequivocally say from the outside is that one is the right move and one isn't. What I've illustrated is that's it's certainly possible from a financial standpoint that DL/B6 has it wrong and AA and the others have it right. You can still criticize them for not having something you personally value, but if they're right, what can't be criticized is the decision to do so, because then we as a whole don't value it enough.


Fine, whatever you say. If you interpret what I'm saying the way you do, go right ahead, I really couldn't care less.

All I've said multiple times is that I find it fascinating that all you armchair CEOs here say IFE is a waste and no one uses it and no one cares, yet the airline which is far outperforming the others in terms of financials AND performance ... continues to invest in IFE. Your explanation that DL management wastes their money because they don't know what they're doing is beyond absurd and defies logic.

Anyway no need to discuss this further with you as you seem to have no interest in what I'm actually saying.
 
9w748capt
Posts: 1753
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Rumor: American Airlines to Modify Project Oasis Planes.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:04 pm

ckfred wrote:
Considering how many AA MD-80s and F100s I've flown, with no entertainment whatsoever, I always bring a book, a couple of magazines, and the Chicago Tribune and the WSJ. If the 738 has no IFE, I start with the WSJ.


Look thats true, and I'd sure as hell rather ride on an IFE-less S80 than an Oasised 737 if only for the actual padded seat. But times have changed. There is clearly some value in built-in IFE. I'm not sure how to quantify it but it must matter for something.

Put another way, why wouldn't AA then just rip out PTVs from International F and J cabins? After all, an intl premium passenger is far more likely to have their own fancy device than the family of 6 flying for the first time in 5 years. So why doesn't the same nonsensical logic apply to intl premium cabins?
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: Rumor: American Airlines to Modify Project Oasis Planes.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:45 pm

I've seen people trying to use their laptops on that flimsy Y table and it's never a pretty picture. Luckily at my company we are prohibited from working on a plane because we house sensitive financial data.

DL has a strategy that involves positioning themselves for lack of better words a "premium brand"- which is a misnomer when one thinks about air travel today. Given their numbers the strategy appears to be working well for them. AA on the other hand shows a belief that if something doesn't have a tangible ROI out it goes. So you see improvements in lounges while the AVOD is set to be ripped out of narrow body a/c. Why AA doesn't rip it out of all a/c is an interesting question. AVOD by itself is never going to earn a positive ROI.

I'd personally rather use my own device but quite frankly using it in a fully packed Y cabin is a pain. I'd rather just put headphones around my neck and use the airline's library. AA is very good at having a constant flow of new movies. I sometimes think paxs that don't fly often think either it still cost money (which it did just 5 years ago) or the selection will be crap.
 
global2
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:50 am

Re: Rumor: American Airlines to Modify Project Oasis Planes.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:47 am

Aceskywalker wrote:
I don’t understand the fixation on seat back IFE that many people have on this forum.

Wouldn’t it be simpler to have in seat power in all seats and bring your own device?


No, it would not. I don't want the hassle of having to dig out my computer from the overhead bin, deal with having to plug in, and then un-plug and trip over my neighbors' power cords when it's time to go to the lav.
 
twaconnie
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: Rumor: American Airlines to Modify Project Oasis Planes.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:21 pm

After reading all these comments I'm sorry I booked a trip on AA at the end of Sept. JFK-PHX. Next trip will be DL and be willing to pay a little more.
 
dtremit
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:08 am

Re: Rumor: American Airlines to Modify Project Oasis Planes.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:47 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
I'd personally rather use my own device but quite frankly using it in a fully packed Y cabin is a pain.


The one trend I find promising is seats designed to hold personal devices in the seatback, with a slot or a tray. E.g.:

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/06/24/seatmakers-offer-new-ped-holders-but-room-remains-for-innovation/

PTVs or not, I wish more US domestic carriers would invest in seat back features like this (and also things like fold-down cupholders) that maximize the limited space an economy passenger gets today.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4694
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Rumor: American Airlines to Modify Project Oasis Planes.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:56 pm

Just road in an oasis first class seat. Really did not feel like first class at all. Seat is so cheap feeling and uncomfortable. Sad that AA let it get that bad. Penny wise pound foolish choice

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos