Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DalDC9Bos

Re: United’s announces new premium heavy 767

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:10 am

Has the P.S. designation ended on those few 757 that were part of the JFK transcons? Did UA end up changing them back to a standard 757 seating arrangement?

Seems like an updated version and expansion of P.S. onto the 767.

United1

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 am

DalDC9Bos wrote:
Has the P.S. designation ended on those few 757 that were part of the JFK transcons? Did UA end up changing them back to a standard 757 seating arrangement?

The 15 (soon to be 12) pw powered 752s are still in a High-J (28 seats) configuration and operate alongside the International 752s (16 J seats) on EWR-LAX/SFO.

UA might use these once in a while on PS routes but that's not what UA has created this subfleet for.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Channex757

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:51 am

skipness1E wrote:
Channex757 wrote:
Makes sense. Two business markets, FRA and CDG, could need additional front cabin seats in the coming years as Brexit means banks move offices to the Continent.

LHR will always retain its demand as a standalone location but the other two will grow from business that needs to be transacted within the EU.

Funny since Citicrop are buying their London HQ for BILLIONS. BTW knowing more than a few that work in finance, trying to get them to move to Zurich, Frankfurt or *shudder Paris is damn near impossible. Top talent is ultra mobile, when Bank A move staff to Germany, loads of their Top notch London team stay in London and move to Bank B.

The 764s are coming off EWR-LHR for the summer with the B763s replacing them I believe?

It doesn't necessarily mean a wholesale move, just the offices that transact business within the EU. It should see an uptick in traffic so having capacity free might be in the United plans.

ikramerica

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:55 am

United1 wrote:
ikramerica wrote:
Does anyone have a higher res version if the seat map in the article? Im trying to see how the new J fits. Also Y+ is 2-2-2 not 2-3-2 like on other 767s. This is a very different interior than what they have now.

Premium Plus are the 2-2-2 seats you are looking at.

Y+ is most of the AB and KL Y seats on the aircraft. There are a few rows of seats at the rear of the aircraft and then all of the interior seats (DEF) are regular Y.

I was confused because the fight global article mis-identifed them.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

HeeseokKoo

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:17 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382491&start=600#p20326087
Seat map was shared nearly a year ago.

LAX772LR

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 am

enilria wrote:
If you read the article, you know it is going on EWR-LHR. They would not fly the 757 on EWR-LHR unless it was a really weird flight schedule.

Huh?

They've had 757s on-and-off of EWR-LHR for years on end, depending on season.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

kaitakfan

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:45 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Read the article, reminiscent in a way of AA's A321T's on JFK-LAX/SFO. Not a lot of coach seats at all. I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and know it will work. What I find astounding is that they still apparently have a large # of 767ERs in the old 2-1-2 configuration; and there isnt even a start up date announced for the first refurbished 767 in the new premium heavy cabin!

Did you happen to see all the posts that once again proves you have no idea what you are talking about? Maybe you’d have some credibility from time to time if you’d actually acknowledge you are clueless and shoot from the hip more often than not.

Nicknuzzii

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:08 pm

kaitakfan wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Read the article, reminiscent in a way of AA's A321T's on JFK-LAX/SFO. Not a lot of coach seats at all. I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and know it will work. What I find astounding is that they still apparently have a large # of 767ERs in the old 2-1-2 configuration; and there isnt even a start up date announced for the first refurbished 767 in the new premium heavy cabin!

Did you happen to see all the posts that once again proves you have no idea what you are talking about? Maybe you’d have some credibility from time to time if you’d actually acknowledge you are clueless and shoot from the hip more often than not.

Can I ask what he said that was wrong?

RyanairGuru

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:15 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
kaitakfan wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Trying to trash United by bringing up that there are still a number of unconverted frames and that there isn't a schedule for these conversions, when the first one is already reconfigured. Par for the course with this poster, facts don't matter.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

codc10

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:56 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
kaitakfan wrote:

Trying to trash United by bringing up that there are still a number of unconverted frames and that there isn't a schedule for these conversions, when the first one is already reconfigured. Par for the course with this poster, facts don't matter.

There is most certainly a schedule, and the first two 76L will be in service this month (N666UA followed by N684UA). 76L #3 (N662UA) is already in the shop, and another ship (not publicly known yet, possibly N686UA) will replace N684UA when that emerges in another week or two.

United's pace in retrofitting the existing fleet has accelerated. By the end of the month, there should be no fewer than 34, maybe 35 retrofit airplanes (763/772) in service to go with 23-24 new deliveries (77W/78J) in the Polaris configuration. For those keeping score at home, UA will probably hit 60 'Polarized' frames during April.

ewt340

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Hear me out on this okay. This is just a theory.
Maybe, they went premium heavy with B767 because it could generate more profit since premium cabin makes the most money. They done this to offset the high fuel consumption of B767.

SFOtoORD

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:27 pm

jumbojet wrote:

Always joining these threads for just one purpose. And that purpose isn’t about facts or discussion.

strfyr51

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:43 pm

worldranger wrote:
A follow on to the CRJ550, the strategy in today’s business environment is go big up front.

The 767pax just won’t die. Incredible airplane.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ns-456260/

With the configuration in the picture? I can see the Business case for the model. #1? It will sharply reduce the Landings on the airframe while increasing the in flight hours and reducing the turns in a flying day. This will preserve the airframe and engines until the B797 is on the street. Instead of the airplane making 3-4 turns a day?
the airplane will make 15-25 flights per week reducing Landings and engine starts as well . It's a preserving move for sure and a good use of a venerable airframe.
Hell! surprised anybody thought of it that deeply. This was as good of an Idea as sending the B727-222's to Europe in the '80's

strfyr51

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 pm

This is another Idea I didn't figure out until I thought until I thought about it. The B767300's are fully amortized and any revenue they make beyond what they pay for the Interior config will go straight to the bottom line.

jagraham

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:49 pm

767 fuel consumption isn't all that high. Per plane it is lower than A330, but A333s have between 60 and 80 more seats so on a CASM basis A333s are more efficient. But if an airline is going to do a very high C configuration, the lower per plane fuel consumption of the 767 means the CASM hit is less.

Besides, UA doesn't have any A330s. So above the 763, there are 16 764s, then straight up to the 777s.

nomorerjs

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:28 am

Finally a way to get the 767s out of ORD (except for LHR)!

But what will replace the 767 at ORD? 777 or just cut the route in low season a la AA.
Last edited by nomorerjs on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jayunited

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:29 am

Looking at the schedule the first frame will now ferry position HKG-HNL-IAD in a few days. I'm thinking until we have enough frames for international service this single frame could make an appearance on either IAD-SFO/LAX routes or EWR-SFO/LAX routes. For now the current routing for the aircraft only shows the ferry position flight to IAD. If I remember I will try to post an update as soon as I know what the first domestic route this aircraft will make an appearance on. I know UA has stated these aircraft will be used on EWR-LHR but for now there has been no update to to the EWR-LHR schedule to reflect 67L the internal code UA uses to identify these aircraft from the standard 30 Polaris seat configuration.

Pyrex

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:11 am

strfyr51 wrote:
This is another Idea I didn't figure out until I thought until I thought about it. The B767300's are fully amortized and any revenue they make beyond what they pay for the Interior config will go straight to the bottom line.

There is such a thing as opportunity cost, particularly at a time where cargo carriers seem to be scooping up every flyable 767 available for conversion
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Aptivaboy

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:16 am

It kinda makes you wonder how United would have outfitted those new build 767s they wanted to buy from Boeing awhile back. Would they have been regular mainline configs or this premium-heavy config? I wish Boeing had been able to churn out a few new build 76s for United.

RyanairGuru

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:42 am

codc10 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

There is most certainly a schedule, and the first two 76L will be in service this month (N666UA followed by N684UA). 76L #3 (N662UA) is already in the shop, and another ship (not publicly known yet, possibly N686UA) will replace N684UA when that emerges in another week or two.

United's pace in retrofitting the existing fleet has accelerated. By the end of the month, there should be no fewer than 34, maybe 35 retrofit airplanes (763/772) in service to go with 23-24 new deliveries (77W/78J) in the Polaris configuration. For those keeping score at home, UA will probably hit 60 'Polarized' frames during April.

I'm aware of that, I was responding (indirectly) to a posted who claimed there wasn't. Apologies for not been clearer.
Last edited by RyanairGuru on Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

RyanairGuru

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:48 am

Pyrex wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

There is such a thing as opportunity cost, particularly at a time where cargo carriers seem to be scooping up every flyable 767 available for conversion

That is true, but there is also an inherent risk in putting such a premium configuration on a frame that is not paid off.

If they can sell all (or at least a decent majority) of the Business Class seats then this configuration is all but guaranteed to print money. This is a configuration for a strong economy though, and when things go south then they can easily park the fully paid off 767s.

If they were to put such a high-premium configuration on a 787 then they would have to keep flying it, and probably pay for it to be reconfigured again back to a standard layout, during the next downturn.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

codc10

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:42 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
codc10 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

I'm aware of that, I was responding (indirectly) to a posted who claimed there wasn't. Apologies for not been clearer.

I understand what you’re doing there ... I was trying to respond to the entire exchange.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos