Zoedyn
Topic Author

PKX assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 am

http://www.caac.gov.cn/XWZX/MHYW/201809 ... 91727.html

So, it is official at long last

The name of Beijing's new mega-airport has been officially designated as "Beijing Daxing International Airport" by the Chinese authorities, according to the latest announcement 北京新机场命名为“北京大兴国际机场” released by CAAC on its website today on Friday Sept 14, 2018

依据《地名管理条例》和《民用机场使用许可规定》等规定,并报经党中央、国务院审批同意,北京新机场名称确定为“北京大兴国际机场”

In accordance with Place Name Regulation, as well as Regulation on the License of Civil Airports, having secured the approval of both the CPC Central Committee and the State Council, the name for the new Beijing airport is designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

大兴 Daxing has the immediate connotations of being both “big, prosperous” to Chinese ears (Separately, 大 da means big, giant; 兴 xing means prosperous, booming. Combined, Daxing means “big prosperity” in Mandarin Chinese)
(See #Post 81 of Beijing new airport thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1388037&start=50)

Congratulations :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is definitely a name I love:)

Next, what would be Daxing's IATA code? DXG sounds nice and memorable
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

QuawerAir

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:06 am

Beijing Daxing International Airport sounds great indeed and so does DXG. Hopefully, that will be the IATA code for the new airport.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.

kiowa

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Do we know which airlines will relocate there?

hajaxavier

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm guessing 99.9% of westerners are pronouncing this dacks-sing. Is x in chinese closer to a blend of sh/ch, as in Dahshing?

workhorse

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:49 pm

hajaxavier wrote:
I'm guessing 99.9% of westerners are pronouncing this dacks-sing. Is x in chinese closer to a blend of sh/ch, as in Dahshing?

It's closer to "s" actually, something like "Dassing" (except that the "s" has a sort of hiss with it but that you cannot render in English).

Iloveboeing

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:03 pm

hajaxavier wrote:

It's "Dah-sssing," with a hiss (raise your tongue to the roof of your mouth, behind your teeth, a sound that isn't in English), however given the fact that 99.9% of Westerners can't even pronounce "Beijing" correctly, we have little hope that they'll be able to pronounce "Daxing."

The French J has no place in the pronunciation of "Beijing." It really irritates me when foreigners mispronounce Chinese words.

EvanWSFO

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:17 pm

kiowa wrote:

MU and CZ are moving most if not all to Daxing. PEK will likely have all the Star Alliance carriers among others.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

zakuivcustom

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:19 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
The French J has no place in the pronunciation of "Beijing." It really irritates me when foreigners mispronounce Chinese words.

I've heard enough people totally botching things like "Huang He" (Yellow River, the "he" should be pronounced closer to "her" without the r sound instead of, well, the English word "he") that I'm used to it.

BTW, just hope that some Spaniard doesn't pronounce it like "Dahing", which, ironically, would sounds like if they're saying the word 大兴 in Cantonese :scratchchin:

FriscoHeavy

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:30 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
hajaxavier wrote:

It's "Dah-sssing," with a hiss (raise your tongue to the roof of your mouth, behind your teeth, a sound that isn't in English), however given the fact that 99.9% of Westerners can't even pronounce "Beijing" correctly, we have little hope that they'll be able to pronounce "Daxing."

..Like with a lisssssp :lol:
Whatever

XAM2175

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:33 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
It really irritates me when foreigners mispronounce Chinese words.
I've heard enough people totally botching things like "Huang He" (Yellow River, the "he" should be pronounced closer to "her" without the r sound instead of, well, the English word "he") that I'm used to it

Well, there's always Wade-Giles...

Iloveboeing

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
I've heard enough people totally botching things like "Huang He" (Yellow River, the "he" should be pronounced closer to "her" without the r sound instead of, well, the English word "he") that I'm used to it

Well, there's always Wade-Giles...

Wade-Giles is old, outdated and backward; the pinyin system is far superior; using pinyin has helped me to pronounce Mandarin easier.

XAM2175

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:41 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
Wade-Giles is old, outdated and backward

... there is a chance that I made the suggestion in jest for exactly that reason.

Iloveboeing

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:42 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

I've heard enough people totally botching things like "Huang He" (Yellow River, the "he" should be pronounced closer to "her" without the r sound instead of, well, the English word "he") that I'm used to it.

BTW, just hope that some Spaniard doesn't pronounce it like "Dahing", which, ironically, would sounds like if they're saying the word 大兴 in Cantonese :scratchchin:

Plus, "He" in "Huang He," is actually a guttural sound, similar to the sound in Hebrew and Arabic.

fraspotter

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:45 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
kiowa wrote:

MU and CZ are moving most if not all to Daxing. PEK will likely have all the Star Alliance carriers among others.

True. From what I heard it's pretty much set that CA and Star Alliance will stay at PEK. MU and CZ and Skyteam will almost certainly be moving to Daxing but I haven't read anything definitive about OneWorld but if I had to wager money on it I would bet they would go to Daxing as well. As far as the plethora of domestic and regional Chinese airlines that currently call PEK home who knows.
Last edited by fraspotter on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

MartijnNL

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:50 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:

I just say Peking, as I have always done.

RyanairGuru

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:00 pm

fraspotter wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
kiowa wrote:

True. From what I heard it's pretty much set that CA and Star Alliance will stay at PEK. MU and CZ and Skyteam will almost certainly be moving to Daxing but I haven't read anything definitive about OneWorld but if I had to wager money on it I would bet they would go to Daxing as well. As far as the plethora of domestic and regional Chinese airlines that currently call PEK home who knows.

Given the AA-CZ and QF-MU JBAs I would say it’s very likely that at least AA and QF, and most likely the other One World carriers will move to Daxing.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

monomojo

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
hajaxavier wrote:

It really irritates <NativeSpeakerName> when foreigners mispronounce <NativeSpeakerLanguage> words.

FlightLevel360

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:48 pm

hajaxavier wrote:

Lol us Cantonese speakers see it as "daai hing"

But you are correct, the Mandarin pronunciation for Daxing is closest to Da-Shing. I really don't know who came up with the pinyin system, but it does not make any sense to me. Whenever you see an "x," it always makes the "sh" sound; when you see a "q," you would hear a "ch" sound (although both sounds are made significantly more sharply than their equivalents in other languages). There's also "ü," which doesn't come close to any pronounceable sound in English.

It's not "dacks-sing," though I guess some Chinese people will understand what you mean.
It's not the A220. It's the Bombardier CSeries. Period.
Long live the A380 and 747!

EChid

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:27 am

fraspotter wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
kiowa wrote:

Don't forget about the paper airlines! I believe Air China created another one just the other day (Beijing Capital Airlines or something of that sort) that is likely intended for Daxing as a way of avoiding any awkwardness with the governmen on operating out of both. It's unfortunate Star Alliance with stay tied to PEK, because it's an awful airport.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

as739x

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:46 am

Maybe a stupid question, but will Beijing Nanyuan Airport close due to the proximity to Daxing?
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

lightsaber

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:56 am

QuawerAir wrote:
Beijing Daxing International Airport sounds great indeed and so does DXG. Hopefully, that will be the IATA code for the new airport.

Oh man, you had me hope. DXG would be the best code for Daxing.

Sorry, but all airports get a one word name. "D-F-W", "L-A-X", Heathrow, Gatwick, Dulles, National, LaGuardia, "J-F-K", Orly, with Charles De Galle being an exception.

There will be Beijing and there will be Daxing.

This trend of longer names... :no: e.g., it is Atlanta. Hartsfield? Eh, I think about 10% of travelers know that. We're in an international world. Airport names should be shortened in my opinion.

Lightsaber
You know nothing John Snow.

Iloveboeing

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:06 am

FlightLevel360 wrote:
hajaxavier wrote:

Lol us Cantonese speakers see it as "daai hing"

But you are correct, the Mandarin pronunciation for Daxing is closest to Da-Shing. I really don't know who came up with the pinyin system, but it does not make any sense to me. Whenever you see an "x," it always makes the "sh" sound; when you see a "q," you would hear a "ch" sound (although both sounds are made significantly more sharply than their equivalents in other languages). There's also "ü," which doesn't come close to any pronounceable sound in English.

It's not "dacks-sing," though I guess some Chinese people will understand what you mean.

I've always found the pinyin system to be far easier to understand and it has helped me pronounce Mandarin well. Pinyin was developed in the 1950s by the Chinese government in order to simplify things and to help foreigners learn Mandarin easier. Although I first learned Mandarin in Xianggang (Hong Kong), I've been told I speak with "a northern accent".

Dominion301

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:07 am

Zoedyn wrote:

Well DXG, DXI, DXN are all available as is XNI and AXI.

Or if you want to get all Canadian, YDX is available. A handful of “Y” airports are in China with the overwhelming majority being Canadian airports of course.
Last edited by Dominion301 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Confuscius

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:12 am

I think DXX sounds good and easy to remember.
Ain't I a stinker?

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:18 am

Dominion301 wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:

Anyone know when the IATA code will be decided?

Iloveboeing wrote:

We'll start caring just as soon as you get a native Mandarin speaker to properly pronounce:

I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

pdt2f

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:55 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
hajaxavier wrote:

It might have a little to do with the fact that they’re not native mandarin speakers. Not everybody has the opportunity to go to your private schools, or has the disposable income to live somewhere with a large proportion of mandarin speakers.
“The sky peoclaims God’s glory - the vault of heaven, the Hand of Him who made it.”

BNA based.

workhorse

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:02 am

lightsaber wrote:
Sorry, but all airports get a one word name. "D-F-W", "L-A-X", Heathrow, Gatwick, Dulles, National, LaGuardia, "J-F-K", Orly, with Charles De Galle being an exception.

Well, most of the native Parisians actually say "Roissy" and not "Charles de Gaulle".

And in Rhone-Alps region, at least the older generations still say "Satolas" despite the fact that everyone agrees that Saint-Exupéry was a cool guy.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

Or if you want to get all Canadian, YDX is available. A handful of “Y” airports are in China with the overwhelming majority being Canadian airports of course.

Speaking personally, I’d rather Daxing took DAX as its IATA code best of all —— fine sound, good correspondence with the spelling, easily recognizable

Of course, a survey of current IATA airport codes beginning with D on wiki List of airports by IATA code: D shows DAX is already occupied by another Chinese airport named Dazhou Heshi Airport in the city of Dazhou

A further look shows Dazhou itself is having under construction a new airport called Baijie Airport, due for completion by the end of 2018 to replace the current one

Presumably, the current IATA code for Dazhou Heshi would get transferred to Baijie once the new airport starts operations, which means it’s unrealistic to put the code DAX and the airport Daxing into what appears to me the aptest match

If we insist on the DA_ code to distinguish Daxing, the outlook for a good match doesn’t improve much either, as almost all nice codes in this category have got allocated, leaving only a very few options available, ie, DAE, DAI, DAJ, DAQ, DAW. None of them looks quite right. Maybe DAW has the best chance of them all if a choice is to be made in this tight category

Then if we check it out on a different set of DX_ codes, the choices are wide and many, as only B, D, E, R are used already (with DXB being the most known), quite the reverse of DA_ codes. Available codes include: DXA, DXC, DXI, DXJ, DXN, DXG, DXP, and so on, among which DXG easily stands out.

Stand-alone, DXG is excellent, but my slight beef with DXG is this: the lineup of airports with G-ended codes looks strong and overcrowded enough: internationally, we got well known HKG, PVG, CDG; domestically in China and lesser known to the outside world, there’s NKG, CKG, KMG

Maybe it’s worth having a bit of variety in coding with Daxing?

Anyway, now that Daxing is the official name, which didn’t come as much of a surprise to the general public, it’ll be interesting to see how close our guesswork here is to Daxing’s official code released by IATA. We’ll find out soon

workhorse

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:36 pm

Zoedyn wrote:
Presumably, the current IATA code for Dazhou Heshi would get transferred to Baijie once the new airport starts operations, which means it’s unrealistic to put the code DAX and the airport Daxing into what appears to me the aptest match

Unrealistic and potentially dangerous. As an IT guy, I wake up in a cold sweat when I think of what can happen if you take an existing code that might have been used for something in hundreds of different systems and assign this code to another entity.

cathay747

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:47 pm

ON TOPIC: I'm thinking it might not be a great idea to give the new airport the IATA code DXG...it could be too easily mixed-up with DXB (visually speaking)...even with computer-printed items, depending on the size of the font, a B and a G could get confused.
Try a Little VC-10derness

cathay747

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:58 pm

pdt2f wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
hajaxavier wrote:

It might have a little to do with the fact that they’re not native mandarin speakers. Not everybody has the opportunity to go to your private schools, or has the disposable income to live somewhere with a large proportion of mandarin speakers.

OFF-TOPIC: thank you "pdt2f" for posting this reply to a really obnoxious statement.

It really irritates you when foreigners mispronounce Chinese words? Seriously? Well first, let me get you a portable oxygen tank so you can breathe up there on your high-horse.

Secondly...as "pdt2f" alluded to...if foreigners have no instruction or guidance on how to pronounce Chinese words...or Japanese, or Korean, or <insert any other language you care to here>, just exactly how do you expect such people to know??? Chinese isn't exactly one of the easiest languages to learn. And I'm quite certain that people of every nationality cringe when they hear "foreigners" try to pronounce words they're unfamiliar with in a language they don't speak. At least give people some credit for trying, and extend a little courtesy and understanding to those struggling with a language they don't know.

zakuivcustom

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:16 pm

EChid wrote:
fraspotter wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Don't forget about the paper airlines! I believe Air China created another one just the other day (Beijing Capital Airlines or something of that sort) that is likely intended for Daxing as a way of avoiding any awkwardness with the governmen on operating out of both. It's unfortunate Star Alliance with stay tied to PEK, because it's an awful airport.

Beijing Airlines is its name. Nobody knows whether it'll be based out of Daxing or Capital right now, though.

as739x wrote:
Maybe a stupid question, but will Beijing Nanyuan Airport close due to the proximity to Daxing?

Yes, Nanyuan is closing, with China United Airlines, the only airline that's allowed to fly out of NAY right now, moving to Daxing.

cathay747

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:23 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

We'll start caring just as soon as you get a native Mandarin speaker to properly pronounce:

Yes, exactly. THANK YOU! Excellent counter-point. I've heard plenty of native-Chinese speakers butcher English to hell and back, but does it "irritate" me? No...I just try to communicate with them as best as can be managed.

Iloveboeing

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:00 pm

cathay747 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

OFF-TOPIC: thank you "pdt2f" for posting this reply to a really obnoxious statement.

It really irritates you when foreigners mispronounce Chinese words? Seriously? Well first, let me get you a portable oxygen tank so you can breathe up there on your high-horse.

Secondly...as "pdt2f" alluded to...if foreigners have no instruction or guidance on how to pronounce Chinese words...or Japanese, or Korean, or <insert any other language you care to here>, just exactly how do you expect such people to know??? Chinese isn't exactly one of the easiest languages to learn. And I'm quite certain that people of every nationality cringe when they hear "foreigners" try to pronounce words they're unfamiliar with in a language they don't speak. At least give people some credit for trying, and extend a little courtesy and understanding to those struggling with a language they don't know.

The thing is, many people do know and they ignorantly ignore the proper pronunciation. I don't know who decided that Beijing should be pronounced with a French J, but it is really annoying. There is no French J in Beijing, or Mandarin for that matter. I cringed on a UA flight to PEK where the pilots and F/As all said, "Beijjjjing," and not "Bay-Jing" like it's supposed to be. They were insulting the many Chinese people onboard; I wanted to scream, "It's 'Bay-Jing,' you morons!!!!"

spinotter

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:12 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

I just say Peking, as I have always done.

Peking is not the name of the city at all, but rather a foreign mispronunciation.

nry

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
The thing is, many people do know and they ignorantly ignore the proper pronunciation. I don't know who decided that Beijing should be pronounced with a French J, but it is really annoying. There is no French J in Beijing, or Mandarin for that matter. I cringed on a UA flight to PEK where the pilots and F/As all said, "Beijjjjing," and not "Bay-Jing" like it's supposed to be. They were insulting the many Chinese people onboard; I wanted to scream, "It's 'Bay-Jing,' you morons!!!!"

Fine. Just call it North Capital and let's call it a day.
B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, B787, DC9/MD80, DC10, MD11
A319, A320, A321, A340 (surprisingly no A330 yet)
L1011
ATR77, CRJ200, CRJ700, E145, E170, E175

Confuscius

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:46 pm

nry wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

...or Taipei :devil:
Ain't I a stinker?

peanuts

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:50 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
hajaxavier wrote:

So much finger pointing. Does it really matter? Have a beverage and relax! Accents, dialects, mispronunciations are the color of life!

I'd vote to steal DAX iata code from that smaller airport somewhere and use it for Dacksjing!

Also, the name Schiphol gets used more and more, as opposed to Amsterdam, and I just LOVE how Americans (and others of course) completely pillage the pronunciation. They make it sound like how some people refer to 3rd world countries... It's hilarious.

nry

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Confuscius wrote:
nry wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

...or Taipei :devil:

Don't you mean Taibei?

:duck:
B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, B787, DC9/MD80, DC10, MD11
A319, A320, A321, A340 (surprisingly no A330 yet)
L1011
ATR77, CRJ200, CRJ700, E145, E170, E175

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:04 pm

cathay747 wrote:
ON TOPIC: I'm thinking it might not be a great idea to give the new airport the IATA code DXG...it could be too easily mixed-up with DXB (visually speaking)...even with computer-printed items, depending on the size of the font, a B and a G could get confused.

......that's like saying YYT, YYI, YYL, etc shouldn't have been designated because they might get mixed up. Doubt that's much of a concern.

cathay747 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Yes, exactly. THANK YOU! Excellent counter-point. I've heard plenty of native-Chinese speakers butcher English to hell and back

SIDEBAR: a Chinese friend of mine has basically made it his mission in life to learn to say "Prell" correctly..... still comes out as "Plurr" though. :lol:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

workhorse

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:24 pm

I have asked in the other thread to no avail, so I'll try in this one: does anyone have an idea of what will be done with the southwest landing pattern to PEK's 36L/36R/01?

I mean the one where flights coming from Europe turn southeast at Huailai then turn east over Yancunzhen, bypass downtown Beijing by the south and then turn left to land on the 01 or 36s...

Looking at the disposition of Daxing's runways, this path will almost certainly enter in conflict with future traffic from the new airport.

Overthecascades

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:51 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

Haha true. Also during the Beijing Olympic Games, the Beijing name was butchered pretty bad too by Beijjjjing lol

monomojo

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:00 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

Am I supposed to get incensed at the Chinese FAs butchering the English pronunciations, as well? I mean, they should know better, right?

c933103

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:54 am

fraspotter wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
kiowa wrote:

HNA Group airlines seems to be staying.
This is a placeholder.

pdt2f

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:01 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

The English pronounciation of Beijing is with the French J. It’s how you say the word in English. I’m sure Chinese people have their own ways of saying New York, London, and Los Angeles. If you’re going to insist on proper mandarin pronounciations of Chinese place-names, well then we better not catch you on this board saying “Munich,” “Moscow,” or “Rome,” as none of those are proper pronounciations for those place names in their native tongues. Again, send me some of daddy’s trust fund money so I can hire a mandarin tutor, and then I’ll start pronouncing Chinese words correctly.
“The sky peoclaims God’s glory - the vault of heaven, the Hand of Him who made it.”

BNA based.

cheeken

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 am

pdt2f wrote:
I’m sure Chinese people have their own ways of saying New York, London, and Los Angeles.

Indeed they do!
New York = niǔ yuē ("new" with a low flat tone, "yue" with a high flat tone)
London = lún dūn ("loon" with a rising tone, "doon" with a high flat tone)
Los Angeles = luò shān jī ("lu-or" with a falling tone, "shaan" with a high flat tone, unaspirated "tsi" with a high flat tone)

And you're right that that would be the equivalent of saying "Munich" in place of "München" in English, which brings me to my next point....

pdt2f wrote:
It’s how you say the word in English.

No, that would probably be "Peking", just like "Munich" and "Rome". Saying "beijjjjing" would be the equivalent of saying "moon-churn" for "München", which is a simple mispronunciation, not a proper romanisation.

Yossarian22

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:57 am

I think it is wise that the are avoiding split operations. It makes international to domestic (and vice versa) connections much easier. MU sells many PVG to SHA connections isn’t great. Also, there is less benefits to split operations given how far both airports are from the city.

thekorean

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:13 am

Is this airport as close to downtown Beijing as PEK or further away?

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Interesting to read the above posts regarding the airport name pronunciation matter

I’d like to reassure our A.net folks here who don’t know Chinese at all that Daxing stands to be an easy Chinese name that should roll off an English-speaking tongue fairly easily

Judging from my experience in Chinese/English communication, I’m 100% sure that any English speaker here who——whether being native or not——has ease in saying common English words like car and fish would also have ease in articulating Daxing properly like a native Mandarin speaker does (of course without considering the Chinese tone thing) , if you get to know that a in Daxing is pronounced like a in car, and xing like shing in fishing, as the Chinese phonic sounds for Daxing happen to have pretty similar or identical counterparts in English

If you like, just try to pronounce Daxing as I just told, you will surely make yourself sound like someone with a near-native quality in your pronunciation of the word:)

By contrast, some other Chinese airport names, say, Zhengding, Zhongchuan, Changshui, involve extraordinary sounds in the zh, ch, sh part that just are phonetically absent in the English language. This would present considerable challenge for ordinary English speakers as they are now left without any useful cue or aid for proper pronunciation of these names, unless being tutored otherwise. If you find yrself unable to confidently pronounce Zhongchuan, the airport name with northwestern China’s Lanzhou City, that is perfectly forgivable:)

Is this airport as close to downtown Beijing as PEK or further away?

Daxing is much further away from downtown Beijing than PEK, if downtown Beijing narrowly refers to the heart of Beijing where the Tian’anmen Square is. To be exact, Daxing is at a straight line distance of 46 km to Tian’anmen Square, almost twice as far as PEK that only measures 25 km likewise

But worth noting Beijing is a megalopolis that covers a large sprawling metro area. A considerable part of urban Beijing population will find it way more easy to access Daxing than PEK thanks to geographic proximity and better airport road/rail links, particularly so for those living in the southern part of Beijing

If the city’s famed east-west-stretched Chang’an Avenue is anything to go by, we may conveniently and conventionally refer to the area south to the avenue as southern Beijing. It’s a vast area that includes part of Chaoyang District, part of Haidian District, part of Dongcheng District, part of Xicheng District, part of Tongzhou District, part of Shijingshan District, part of Mentougou District, as well as all of Fengtai District, all of Daxing District, all of Fangshan District. I think that’ll be basically the catchment area for Daxing in Beijing (the new airport of course also will serve vast areas in neighboring Heibei Province and Tianjin Municipality)

TasFlyer

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:47 am

So with Beijing traffic being split between Capital and Daxing, it looks like ATL will remain the world's busiest airport for some years to come?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos