AtomicGarden
Posts: 375
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:30 am

peanuts wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
hajaxavier wrote:
I'm guessing 99.9% of westerners are pronouncing this dacks-sing. Is x in chinese closer to a blend of sh/ch, as in Dahshing?


It's "Dah-sssing," with a hiss (raise your tongue to the roof of your mouth, behind your teeth, a sound that isn't in English), however given the fact that 99.9% of Westerners can't even pronounce "Beijing" correctly, we have little hope that they'll be able to pronounce "Daxing."

The French J has no place in the pronunciation of "Beijing." It really irritates me when foreigners mispronounce Chinese words.


So much finger pointing. Does it really matter? Have a beverage and relax! Accents, dialects, mispronunciations are the color of life!

I'd vote to steal DAX iata code from that smaller airport somewhere and use it for Dacksjing!

Also, the name Schiphol gets used more and more, as opposed to Amsterdam, and I just LOVE how Americans (and others of course) completely pillage the pronunciation. They make it sound like how some people refer to 3rd world countries... It's hilarious.


Clearly it's pronounced Shiffol!
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!
 
User avatar
Zoedyn
Topic Author
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:55 am

The Chinese article here 说说“北京大兴国际机场”中“大兴”的寓意 gives an informative account of the origin and meaning of the word Daxing in Chinese language and history

Remarkably, Daxing as a place name has a longer time-honored history, or approx 250 years older, than the name of Beijing. As early as in mid-1100s, the Jin Dynasty [See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_dynasty_(1115–1234)] designated a vast area around its capital as Daxing in present-day Beijing, whereas the name Beijing appeared not until early 1400s due to Emperor Zhudi's historical move to relocate the capital of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) from South China to North China, hence the name Beijing (meaning the northern capital in Chinese)

So, Daxing is also a name deeply entrenched in Beijing's history and culture, besides its auspicious "big boom" connotations

Separately, per this Chinese report 北京大兴国际机场将实现国内转机半小时Beijing Daxing International Airport to Implement Green Action Plan, China's Capital Airport Holding Company, which will be the airport operator of Daxing, released its green action plan intended for the new airport yesterday on Sept 19

《计划》明确,在高效运营方面,大兴国际机场将做到航班正常率、平均地面滑行时间位居世界同规模机场前列;国内转国内30分钟,国际转国际45分钟,国际国内互转60分钟;首件进港行李到达时间小于13分钟。

In terms of operational efficiency, the action plan clearly states:

Daxing International Airport aims to rank among the world's best-performing airports of similar size in flight on-time performance, and average taxi times on the ground for aircrafts
To achieve minimum connecting times at:
30 min for domestic to domestic transfer
45 min for international to international
60 min for domestic to int'l/int'l to domestic


Aiming high in this regard is good. We'll see whether Daxing could manage at Chinese hands
 
User avatar
Zoedyn
Topic Author
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:24 pm

As per the SinaWeibo account citing what seems an internally-circulated document issued by CAAC in the Chinese airline industry, in accordance with the regulations in ICAO Document 7910, the ICAO 4-letter code for Beijing Daxing International Airport has been designated by the Chinese aviation regulator as ZBAD

CAAC has also urged industry units to make corresponding changes regarding Daxing’s ICAO code in related files, communication networks and application systems so as to ensure smoothness of the new airport in its surface communication and other civil aviation operations

https://m.weibo.cn/1675457137/4296444699629535

Note how Daxing contrasts with PEK in ICAO code: ZBAD vs ZBAA

Interesting to see whether Daxing’s IATA code will be tied to this ICAO code somehow

Wondering whether CAAC is also making any preferred suggestion or recommendation to IATA when it comes to designating a three-letter IATA code for Daxing
 
User avatar
Zoedyn
Topic Author
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm

PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:47 pm

It’s official!

PKI got assigned and is now officially the IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport, per IATA website (http://www.iata.org)

So surprising and unexpected! Not a bad choice

Congrats to Daxing:)

It seemed that none of the folks here on A.net and Chinese social media got the code right in their previous guesses for Daxing’s IATA code (See: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport)

How do you like it?

Image
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 3774
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Zoedyn wrote:
How do you like it?

I might be wrong, but in order to avoid confusion among the travelers, especially tourists that do not fly frequently to Beijing, I would have chosen a completely different IATA-code. I am sure that there will be soon cases where travelers mix up PEK with PKI.

Even my father (can you imagine! The father of a planespotter!) mixed up China Airlines with Air China and tried to check in at the CI-counter with a CA-ticket…
 
smokeybandit
Posts: 1053
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:01 pm

Seems too similar to PEK
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1541
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:04 pm

Easy to remember
@DadCelo
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 17382
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:10 pm

I'm trying not to get too excited by this news. :wink2:

N14AZ wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:
How do you like it?

I might be wrong, but in order to avoid confusion among the travelers, especially tourists that do not fly frequently to Beijing, I would have chosen a completely different IATA-code. I am sure that there will be soon cases where travelers mix up PEK with PKI.

Even my father (can you imagine! The father of a planespotter!) mixed up China Airlines with Air China and tried to check in at the CI-counter with a CA-ticket…


The vast majority of passengers don't know and couldn't care less what the IATA code for any airport is. As for confusion, at least they'll all end up in Beijing (which is where they were going!)

As to your Dad confusing China Airlines and Air China, heck half the members here get them mixed up regularly. :spin:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:13 pm

I thought DAX would be better, but it's in use.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
luckyone
Posts: 2791
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:59 pm

I may be really late to the party, but looking--yes just anecdotally--there seems to be around 40 or so gates at the terminal. They're reporting 80 hardstands. Is there a plan to expand the terminal or build a satellite terminal? Otherwise, at their projected flight/passenger numbers there will be a lot of busing.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:39 pm

It is always ironic to me that the code PEK is still used. One, there's a monolith of a bureaucracy even the People's Republic is impressed with, and two, the continued use of the name "Peking", at least as far as the airport goes.

It is my understanding that the city of Peking was renamed in 1949 to "Beijing", meaning "Northern Capital", a name it had held prior to outsider dynasties' control of China.

I understand completely why the IATA doesn't like to change codes; and given that to the Chinese, changing from one set of foreign characters to another set of those same foreign characters wasn't worth the hassle, I doubt a reference to Beijing in the 3-letter code would have been considered important or necessary (or even recognizable!), so PKI was selected. Both kind of say Peking in the title, so at least travelers will know that they are on the right track.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:17 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
It is always ironic to me that the code PEK is still used. One, there's a monolith of a bureaucracy even the People's Republic is impressed with, and two, the continued use of the name "Peking", at least as far as the airport goes.

It is my understanding that the city of Peking was renamed in 1949 to "Beijing", meaning "Northern Capital", a name it had held prior to outsider dynasties' control of China.

I understand completely why the IATA doesn't like to change codes; and given that to the Chinese, changing from one set of foreign characters to another set of those same foreign characters wasn't worth the hassle, I doubt a reference to Beijing in the 3-letter code would have been considered important or necessary (or even recognizable!), so PKI was selected. Both kind of say Peking in the title, so at least travelers will know that they are on the right track.


Nope. "Beijing" was not used in place of "Peking" until 1958 (domestically) or 1979 (Internationally). It was rename from Beiping to Peking in 1949. Peking is just the old transliteration (Wade-Giles) of the city name anyway.

There are many airport code in China that use the old romanization anyway, i.e. CAN (Canton vs. Guangzhou), CTU (Chengtu vs. Chengdu), CKG (Chungking vs. Chongqing), FOC (Foochow vs. Fuzhou), NKG (Nanking vs. Nanjing), CGO (Closer to Changchow instead of Zhengzhou), KWL (Kweilin vs. Guilin) and this is just from top of my head.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
User avatar
spinotter
Posts: 568
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:45 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
The French J has no place in the pronunciation of "Beijing." It really irritates me when foreigners mispronounce Chinese words.

I just say Peking, as I have always done.


Which is a totally wrong pronunciation, as a Nederlander I would expect better from you.
 
User avatar
Zoedyn
Topic Author
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:32 am

The release of PKI as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport on IATA's website has been sparking heated discussions on Weibo since the news hit the Chinese social media last night Mar 4th

But now in what seems to be a dramatic turn of events, there are also rumors afoot on the same social media platform saying that PKX, rather than PKI, should be the intended genuine IATA code for Daxing, blaming the disclosure of "PKI" as an own-goal style error committed by IATA regarding Daxing's three-letter code in its code data bank. If the rumor is true, this is getting really hilarious and hardly excusable

I just checked IATA's data bank on its homepage minutes ago. Showing no result for PKX, and Beijing Daxing Int'l Airport is still coded as PKI. We'll see
Image
Image
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 712
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:52 am

spinotter wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
I just say Peking, as I have always done.

Which is a totally wrong pronunciation, as a Nederlander I would expect better from you.

Peking was the name:
- taught to us at school
- printed in our atlases
- printed in our newspapers
- read to us by news anchors

I remember one news broadcast (don't remember which year it was, though) in which it was announced that the Chinese government wanted the rest of the world to use Beijing from now on instead of Peking.

I just kept using Peking. As many other Dutch did. That's just how we happen to know the city. Our neighbours in Germany also stick to that name by the way. In the route map of the Lufthansa flight magazine the Chinese capital is to this day still named Peking.

What is the correct pronunciation of Peking?
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:14 am

MartijnNL wrote:
spinotter wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
I just say Peking, as I have always done.

Which is a totally wrong pronunciation, as a Nederlander I would expect better from you.

Peking was the name:
- taught to us at school
- printed in our atlases
- printed in our newspapers
- read to us by news anchors

I remember one news broadcast (don't remember which year it was, though) in which it was announced that the Chinese government wanted the rest of the world to use Beijing from now on instead of Peking.

I just kept using Peking. As many other Dutch did. That's just how we happen to know the city. Our neighbours in Germany also stick to that name by the way. In the route map of the Lufthansa flight magazine the Chinese capital is to this day still named Peking.

What is the correct pronunciation of Peking?


It depends on the dialect, I think. It's Bei-jing in Beijing, but it's Pei-king in Taiwan. *at least that's how my ears were hearing it.
 
User avatar
FredrikHAD
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:03 am

In Sweden, the official name of "Beijing" is "Peking". Nobody abroad says Göteborg (the Swedish name of it) about the city you call Gothenburg, right? Still, Gothenburg is the official name of that city in the English language. I think every country has some foreign city names that they have an old, or just local name for. We still spell Canada with a K, Kanada.

With the local(ish) letters å, ä and ö, non-Swedish speakers are often confused by village names like Kräkångersnoret, an unfortunate name in itself (you'd need to be Swedish in order to understand...). That village actually changed its name to Södra Lövsele, equally difficult if you're not Swedish, but far more pleasant for the locals.

On-topic, it'll be interesting to follow the assignment of the airport code. PKX would definitely add more of a differentiating touch and make for less confusion with PEK.

/Fredrik
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 712
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:20 am

I really wonder what made you post this:

spinotter wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
I just say Peking, as I have always done.

Which is a totally wrong pronunciation, as a Nederlander I would expect better from you.

A whole five months after posting this:

spinotter wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
I just say Peking, as I have always done.

Peking is not the name of the city at all, but rather a foreign mispronunciation.
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 712
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:28 am

FredrikHAD wrote:
I think every country has some foreign city names that they have an old, or just local name for.

Indeed! In the Netherlands we talk about Londen, Milaan and Parijs instead of London, Milano or Paris. We also say Peking and not Beijing. Our pronunciation of Londen, Milaan, Parijs and Peking can't be wrong, because they are our names for those cities.
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 712
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:30 am

FredrikHAD wrote:
I think every country has some foreign city names that they have an old, or just local name for.

Indeed! In the Netherlands we talk about Londen, Milaan and Parijs instead of London, Milano or Paris. We also say Peking and not Beijing. Our pronunciation of Londen, Milaan, Parijs and Peking can't be wrong, because they are our names for those cities.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:51 am

And this thread has degenerated into an argument about how one is suppose to say Beijing or Peking :banghead:

Seriously, officially it is Beijing in English, but that doesn’t mean a Dutch or a German call it Beijing instead of Peking or Pekin.

Oh well, just call it Bắc Kinh and call it a day. :white:
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
User avatar
Zoedyn
Topic Author
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:30 am

Judging by reactions seen on Chinese social media Weibo so far, PKI clearly came as a huge surprise/upset to numerous Weibo users, with a majority of them having rather negative opinions on the code for two main reasons listed below:

First, PKI looks so similar to the code of Beijing's current Capital International Airport — PEK, which would easily result in confusion and bafflement for lack of sufficient distinction btwn the duo

Second, PKI still smacks of a long-discarded, antiquated way of romanization to transliterate Chinese words when other better alternative codes conforming to modern convenient pinyin are available. Why not resort instead to a code naming after the pinyin in new times, such as DXG/DXN?

Interestingly, quite a few folks mentioned that PKI made them first think of Pakistan at first sight. Even more ppl half-jokingly said that they mistook PKI for KPI at first glance with anxious thoughts of Key Performance Indicators stuff in a corporate setting

Also I noted quite a few ppl expressed disappointment and pity at Daxing being unable to use the perfect code DAX that is unfortunately in use by some other airport, a sentiment that I too held deep sympathy for

As for the code PKI itself, most Chinese comments would like to understand it as a combination of PeKing International rather than PeKIng per se
 
User avatar
Zoedyn
Topic Author
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:27 am

Per latest revision of IATA data bank, Beijing Daxing Internationl Capital Airport's IATA code has been revised as PKX
Image

What an error there for IATA, from whom we expect a higher level of professionalism :banghead:
Nobody could've expected the rollout of Daxing's IATA code to be so dramatic like this!
 
lutfi
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2000 6:33 pm

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:02 am

spinotter wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
The French J has no place in the pronunciation of "Beijing." It really irritates me when foreigners mispronounce Chinese words.

I just say Peking, as I have always done.


Peking is not the name of the city at all, but rather a foreign mispronunciation.


No it isn't - it is based on the Cantonese name of the city (buhk-king). As most foreign interaction with China was via the south, it is southern (Cantonese, Fukkien etc) pronunciations that got used. Unless you think Cantonese isn't a Chinese language?
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4411
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: PKX assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:12 am

PKI raised a few eyebrows in Indonesia as PKI = Partai Komunis Indonesia(Indonesian Communist Party)
mercure f-wtcc
 
sincx
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: PKX assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:34 am

PKX is certainly better than PKI (i and L should not be in alphanumeric codes anyways), but I still think DXG would be better. Much more distinct than PEK vs PKX, reflects the name of the airport, and the closest major airport with a similar code is DXB, and that's too far away to be easily confused with.
 
c933103
Posts: 3808
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:46 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
It is always ironic to me that the code PEK is still used. One, there's a monolith of a bureaucracy even the People's Republic is impressed with, and two, the continued use of the name "Peking", at least as far as the airport goes.

It is my understanding that the city of Peking was renamed in 1949 to "Beijing", meaning "Northern Capital", a name it had held prior to outsider dynasties' control of China.

I understand completely why the IATA doesn't like to change codes; and given that to the Chinese, changing from one set of foreign characters to another set of those same foreign characters wasn't worth the hassle, I doubt a reference to Beijing in the 3-letter code would have been considered important or necessary (or even recognizable!), so PKI was selected. Both kind of say Peking in the title, so at least travelers will know that they are on the right track.

"Peking" and "Beijing" are exactly the same word and same character in Chinese. The only difference is that "Peking" was the old style non-standard romanization.
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
c933103
Posts: 3808
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:57 am

Zoedyn wrote:
Per latest revision of IATA data bank, Beijing Daxing Internationl Capital Airport's IATA code has been revised as PKX
Image

What an error there for IATA, from whom we expect a higher level of professionalism :banghead:
Nobody could've expected the rollout of Daxing's IATA code to be so dramatic like this!

... I can read the code out loud in Hong Kong and people could think I am saying foul languages...
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:59 am

Zoedyn wrote:
Interesting to read the above posts regarding the airport name pronunciation matter

I’d like to reassure our A.net folks here who don’t know Chinese at all that Daxing stands to be an easy Chinese name that should roll off an English-speaking tongue fairly easily

Judging from my experience in Chinese/English communication, I’m 100% sure that any English speaker here who——whether being native or not——has ease in saying common English words like car and fish would also have ease in articulating Daxing properly like a native Mandarin speaker does (of course without considering the Chinese tone thing) , if you get to know that a in Daxing is pronounced like a in car, and xing like shing in fishing, as the Chinese phonic sounds for Daxing happen to have pretty similar or identical counterparts in English

If you like, just try to pronounce Daxing as I just told, you will surely make yourself sound like someone with a near-native quality in your pronunciation of the word:)

By contrast, some other Chinese airport names, say, Zhengding, Zhongchuan, Changshui, involve extraordinary sounds in the zh, ch, sh part that just are phonetically absent in the English language. This would present considerable challenge for ordinary English speakers as they are now left without any useful cue or aid for proper pronunciation of these names, unless being tutored otherwise. If you find yrself unable to confidently pronounce Zhongchuan, the airport name with northwestern China’s Lanzhou City, that is perfectly forgivable:)

Is this airport as close to downtown Beijing as PEK or further away?

Daxing is much further away from downtown Beijing than PEK, if downtown Beijing narrowly refers to the heart of Beijing where the Tian’anmen Square is. To be exact, Daxing is at a straight line distance of 46 km to Tian’anmen Square, almost twice as far as PEK that only measures 25 km likewise

But worth noting Beijing is a megalopolis that covers a large sprawling metro area. A considerable part of urban Beijing population will find it way more easy to access Daxing than PEK thanks to geographic proximity and better airport road/rail links, particularly so for those living in the southern part of Beijing

If the city’s famed east-west-stretched Chang’an Avenue is anything to go by, we may conveniently and conventionally refer to the area south to the avenue as southern Beijing. It’s a vast area that includes part of Chaoyang District, part of Haidian District, part of Dongcheng District, part of Xicheng District, part of Tongzhou District, part of Shijingshan District, part of Mentougou District, as well as all of Fengtai District, all of Daxing District, all of Fangshan District. I think that’ll be basically the catchment area for Daxing in Beijing (the new airport of course also will serve vast areas in neighboring Heibei Province and Tianjin Municipality)


But there will be a high speed metro linking the airport and the city, compare with the "not so high speed" airport express for PEK
 
c933103
Posts: 3808
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:56 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:
Interesting to read the above posts regarding the airport name pronunciation matter

I’d like to reassure our A.net folks here who don’t know Chinese at all that Daxing stands to be an easy Chinese name that should roll off an English-speaking tongue fairly easily

Judging from my experience in Chinese/English communication, I’m 100% sure that any English speaker here who——whether being native or not——has ease in saying common English words like car and fish would also have ease in articulating Daxing properly like a native Mandarin speaker does (of course without considering the Chinese tone thing) , if you get to know that a in Daxing is pronounced like a in car, and xing like shing in fishing, as the Chinese phonic sounds for Daxing happen to have pretty similar or identical counterparts in English

If you like, just try to pronounce Daxing as I just told, you will surely make yourself sound like someone with a near-native quality in your pronunciation of the word:)

By contrast, some other Chinese airport names, say, Zhengding, Zhongchuan, Changshui, involve extraordinary sounds in the zh, ch, sh part that just are phonetically absent in the English language. This would present considerable challenge for ordinary English speakers as they are now left without any useful cue or aid for proper pronunciation of these names, unless being tutored otherwise. If you find yrself unable to confidently pronounce Zhongchuan, the airport name with northwestern China’s Lanzhou City, that is perfectly forgivable:)

Is this airport as close to downtown Beijing as PEK or further away?

Daxing is much further away from downtown Beijing than PEK, if downtown Beijing narrowly refers to the heart of Beijing where the Tian’anmen Square is. To be exact, Daxing is at a straight line distance of 46 km to Tian’anmen Square, almost twice as far as PEK that only measures 25 km likewise

But worth noting Beijing is a megalopolis that covers a large sprawling metro area. A considerable part of urban Beijing population will find it way more easy to access Daxing than PEK thanks to geographic proximity and better airport road/rail links, particularly so for those living in the southern part of Beijing

If the city’s famed east-west-stretched Chang’an Avenue is anything to go by, we may conveniently and conventionally refer to the area south to the avenue as southern Beijing. It’s a vast area that includes part of Chaoyang District, part of Haidian District, part of Dongcheng District, part of Xicheng District, part of Tongzhou District, part of Shijingshan District, part of Mentougou District, as well as all of Fengtai District, all of Daxing District, all of Fangshan District. I think that’ll be basically the catchment area for Daxing in Beijing (the new airport of course also will serve vast areas in neighboring Heibei Province and Tianjin Municipality)


But there will be a high speed metro linking the airport and the city, compare with the "not so high speed" airport express for PEK

Well PVG's maglev didn't made it more convenient than SHA, although one could argue it's because of the poor position of "city-side" terminal station of PVG's maglev line
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:08 am

FredrikHAD wrote:
In Sweden, the official name of "Beijing" is "Peking". Nobody abroad says Göteborg (the Swedish name of it) about the city you call Gothenburg, right? Still, Gothenburg is the official name of that city in the English language. I think every country has some foreign city names that they have an old, or just local name for. We still spell Canada with a K, Kanada.

With the local(ish) letters å, ä and ö, non-Swedish speakers are often confused by village names like Kräkångersnoret, an unfortunate name in itself (you'd need to be Swedish in order to understand...). That village actually changed its name to Södra Lövsele, equally di[twoid][/twoid]fficult if you're not Swedish, but far more pleasant for the locals.

On-topic, it'll be interesting to follow the assignment of the airport code. PKX would definitely add more of a differentiating touch and make for less confusion with PEK.

/Fredrik


When I hear "Gothenburg" pronounced, I hear it pronounced like Gotten-burg, without the English th sound. It's sort of a nod to the original pronunciation considering that not pronouncing the "th" here is an exception being made.
 
moyangmm
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: PKX assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:17 am

mercure1 wrote:
PKI raised a few eyebrows in Indonesia as PKI = Partai Komunis Indonesia(Indonesian Communist Party)


Well, it's the name of the airport of the capital of the largest communist country.
 
User avatar
Zoedyn
Topic Author
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:54 pm

As Beijing Daxing International Airport just got its IATA code designated as PKX (See: PKX assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Air and its opening date (scheduled before Sept 30, 2019 by Chinese authorities) is drawing near month by month, route applications should be getting started or seriously considered now, as they indeed are, esp for those Chinese carriers that are planned to relocate to the new airport with a hub/base at the new facility

I’d like to get this thread dedicated to routes in the works to and from Daxing, particularly the longhauls, whether being planned by Chinese or non-Chinese carriers

Here in the opening post, we got the first batch of route applications for international service out of PKX posted by CAAC today Mar 6th (See: http://www.caac.gov.cn/XXGK/XXGK/TZTG/2 ... 134464895&)

Image

Beijing Capital Airlines/JD:
PKX-XIY-CAI, 3x weekly, starting from Oct 2019
PKX-CAI, 3x weekly, Sept 2019
PKX-MOW, 5x weekly, Sept 2019
PKX-LED, 2x weekly, Sept 2019


Xiamen Air/MF:
PKX-BUS (Busan, South Korea), daily, Oct 2019

China Eastern/MU:
PKX-BUS, daily, Oct 2019
PKX-CJJ (Cheongju, SK), daily, Oct 2019
PKX-KWJ (Gwangju, SK), 5x weekly, Oct 2019
PKX-TAE (Daegu, SK), daily, Oct 2019


In addition, a recent report saying
CZ, MU plan London, Paris routes from Beijing Daxing respectively in late 2019

Definitely interesting to see what routes mentioned here in this thread will really materialize after the eagerly-anticipated PKX opens this fall

Also if you know of any planned route to PKX from airlines in your country/region, please share it with us here
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2815
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:01 pm

I hear JetBlue is interested in a BOS route, to be flown on a modified A321XLR. :lol:
 
tphuang
Posts: 3110
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:41 pm

The one part i'm looking to see is how many people will actually use PKX domestically.

I guess it's more convenient for people in the south part of the city, but that's also a less wealthy part. It's not really convenient anyone in the north and east part of the city.
 
User avatar
Zoedyn
Topic Author
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Re: Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:52 pm

Several international airlines reported to be eyeing PKX once it opens

Brunei’s flag carrier Royal Brunei Airlines to fly to new Beijing airport in 2019
https://thescoop.co/2018/11/05/bruneis- ... t-in-2019/

Kenya Airways targets Beijing (Daxing)
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... ork-route/

Himalaya Airlines likely to become first Nepali airlines to fly to Beijing (Daxing)
https://setopati.net/market/140608

jumbojet wrote:
I hear JetBlue is interested in a BOS route, to be flown on a modified A321XLR. :lol:

Irrespective of whether B6 could make it to PKX realistically on A321XLR, the very idea of an additional US entrant onto Sino-US aviation is cool

However, it seems to me that the #1 issue facing both China and US carriers that aim to add Zone One TPAC routes is surely the distressing paucity of traffic rights at disposal, even though US carriers can be said to be in a slightly better situation than their Chinese counterparts
 
ITSTours
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Re: Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:59 pm

Zoedyn wrote:
PKX-KWJ (Gwangju, SK), 5x weekly, Oct 2019


This must be MWX, not KWJ. KWJ doesn't handle international flight anymore.
 
nomorerjs
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:24 am

Re: Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:26 am

I would guess the following will be required / demanded:

ATL
AUS
BNA
BOS
CLT
DEN
DFW
DTW
EWR
HNL
IAD
IAH
JFK
LAX
MIA
MSP
ORD
PDX
PHL
PHX
RDU
SEA
SFO
SJC
 
UA857
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 am

Re: Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:06 am

Will Daxing be like Haneda?
 
User avatar
BA744PHX
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:42 am

Re: Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:25 am

I dont see how any of these are even considering, care to elaborate

nomorerjs wrote:
I would guess the following will be required / demanded:

ATL
AUS
BNA
CLT
DEN
DFW
DTW
HNL
MIA
MSP
PDX
PHL
PHX
RDU
SJC
UA Gold 2019, DL Silver 2019
Upcoming flights
UA EWR-EZE-EWR, EWR-YYZ-EWR, EWR-PHX-EWR, EWR-NRT-EWR
NH NRT-BKK-NRT
TG BKK-HKT-BKK
 
Confuscius
Posts: 3669
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2001 12:29 am

Re: PKX assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:32 am

PDX would’ve been cool but I guess it’s taken.
Ain't I a stinker?
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2388
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: PKX assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:01 am

sincx wrote:
PKX is certainly better than PKI (i and L should not be in alphanumeric codes anyways), but I still think DXG would be better. Much more distinct than PEK vs PKX, reflects the name of the airport, and the closest major airport with a similar code is DXB, and that's too far away to be easily confused with.


PKX is a terrible code. Looks like PHX, sounds like PHX, and K and H are close to each other on the keyboard. It won't be long before someone books a flight to the wrong city.
 
jcancel
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:01 am

spinotter wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
The French J has no place in the pronunciation of "Beijing." It really irritates me when foreigners mispronounce Chinese words.

I just say Peking, as I have always done.


Peking is not the name of the city at all, but rather a foreign mispronunciation.


I think the Nanjing style Mandarin (back then foreigners were focused on the Nanjing style) uses "k" instead of "j", or did before a shift...
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:11 am

Zoedyn wrote:
As Beijing Daxing International Airport just got its IATA code designated as PKX (See: PKX assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Air and its opening date (scheduled before Sept 30, 2019 by Chinese authorities) is drawing near month by month, route applications should be getting started or seriously considered now, as they indeed are, esp for those Chinese carriers that are planned to relocate to the new airport with a hub/base at the new facility

I’d like to get this thread dedicated to routes in the works to and from Daxing, particularly the longhauls, whether being planned by Chinese or non-Chinese carriers

Here in the opening post, we got the first batch of route applications for international service out of PKX posted by CAAC today Mar 6th (See: http://www.caac.gov.cn/XXGK/XXGK/TZTG/2 ... 134464895&)

Image

Beijing Capital Airlines/JD:
PKX-XIY-CAI, 3x weekly, starting from Oct 2019
PKX-CAI, 3x weekly, Sept 2019
PKX-MOW, 5x weekly, Sept 2019
PKX-LED, 2x weekly, Sept 2019


Xiamen Air/MF:
PKX-BUS (Busan, South Korea), daily, Oct 2019

China Eastern/MU:
PKX-BUS, daily, Oct 2019
PKX-CJJ (Cheongju, SK), daily, Oct 2019
PKX-KWJ (Gwangju, SK), 5x weekly, Oct 2019
PKX-TAE (Daegu, SK), daily, Oct 2019


In addition, a recent report saying
CZ, MU plan London, Paris routes from Beijing Daxing respectively in late 2019

Definitely interesting to see what routes mentioned here in this thread will really materialize after the eagerly-anticipated PKX opens this fall

Also if you know of any planned route to PKX from airlines in your country/region, please share it with us here



Busan airport IATA code is PUS but not BUS
 
texdravid
Posts: 1811
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 3:21 pm

Re: PKX assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:27 am

IATA code concerns?

Heck I’m still MAD that Madrid Barajas got MAD and Madras (Chennai) didnt get MAD, they just went to their MAA.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.
 
User avatar
BartSimpson
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:17 am

nomorerjs wrote:
I would guess the following will be required / demanded:

ATL
...
SJC


So - basically you just named all US airports that you could think of.
 
justinlee
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: PKI assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:20 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
It is always ironic to me that the code PEK is still used. One, there's a monolith of a bureaucracy even the People's Republic is impressed with, and two, the continued use of the name "Peking", at least as far as the airport goes.

It is my understanding that the city of Peking was renamed in 1949 to "Beijing", meaning "Northern Capital", a name it had held prior to outsider dynasties' control of China.

I understand completely why the IATA doesn't like to change codes; and given that to the Chinese, changing from one set of foreign characters to another set of those same foreign characters wasn't worth the hassle, I doubt a reference to Beijing in the 3-letter code would have been considered important or necessary (or even recognizable!), so PKI was selected. Both kind of say Peking in the title, so at least travelers will know that they are on the right track.


Peking is also used for one of the most famous university, 北京大学,Peking University. But actually nobody cares hahaha
 
justinlee
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:32 am

tphuang wrote:
The one part i'm looking to see is how many people will actually use PKX domestically.

I guess it's more convenient for people in the south part of the city, but that's also a less wealthy part. It's not really convenient anyone in the north and east part of the city.


Definitely correct, the 3 major business centers currently in Beijing: Guomao, zhongguancun and jinrongjie are all in the north part. PKX will suffer in the recent years i guess. But actually the newly planned “sub center” and Xiongan new district are in the south part so in the long run PKX will benefit from that.
 
Yossarian22
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:25 am

Re: New Beijing airport OFFICIALLY designated as Beijing Daxing International Airport

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:53 am

c933103 wrote:
hongkongflyer wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:
Interesting to read the above posts regarding the airport name pronunciation matter

I’d like to reassure our A.net folks here who don’t know Chinese at all that Daxing stands to be an easy Chinese name that should roll off an English-speaking tongue fairly easily

Judging from my experience in Chinese/English communication, I’m 100% sure that any English speaker here who——whether being native or not——has ease in saying common English words like car and fish would also have ease in articulating Daxing properly like a native Mandarin speaker does (of course without considering the Chinese tone thing) , if you get to know that a in Daxing is pronounced like a in car, and xing like shing in fishing, as the Chinese phonic sounds for Daxing happen to have pretty similar or identical counterparts in English

If you like, just try to pronounce Daxing as I just told, you will surely make yourself sound like someone with a near-native quality in your pronunciation of the word:)

By contrast, some other Chinese airport names, say, Zhengding, Zhongchuan, Changshui, involve extraordinary sounds in the zh, ch, sh part that just are phonetically absent in the English language. This would present considerable challenge for ordinary English speakers as they are now left without any useful cue or aid for proper pronunciation of these names, unless being tutored otherwise. If you find yrself unable to confidently pronounce Zhongchuan, the airport name with northwestern China’s Lanzhou City, that is perfectly forgivable:)


Daxing is much further away from downtown Beijing than PEK, if downtown Beijing narrowly refers to the heart of Beijing where the Tian’anmen Square is. To be exact, Daxing is at a straight line distance of 46 km to Tian’anmen Square, almost twice as far as PEK that only measures 25 km likewise

But worth noting Beijing is a megalopolis that covers a large sprawling metro area. A considerable part of urban Beijing population will find it way more easy to access Daxing than PEK thanks to geographic proximity and better airport road/rail links, particularly so for those living in the southern part of Beijing

If the city’s famed east-west-stretched Chang’an Avenue is anything to go by, we may conveniently and conventionally refer to the area south to the avenue as southern Beijing. It’s a vast area that includes part of Chaoyang District, part of Haidian District, part of Dongcheng District, part of Xicheng District, part of Tongzhou District, part of Shijingshan District, part of Mentougou District, as well as all of Fengtai District, all of Daxing District, all of Fangshan District. I think that’ll be basically the catchment area for Daxing in Beijing (the new airport of course also will serve vast areas in neighboring Heibei Province and Tianjin Municipality)


But there will be a high speed metro linking the airport and the city, compare with the "not so high speed" airport express for PEK

Well PVG's maglev didn't made it more convenient than SHA, although one could argue it's because of the poor position of "city-side" terminal station of PVG's maglev line


The maglev is basically useless. I lived in Shanghai for a year, and have travelled through several other times, and I only used it with visiting friends for the novelty. It shaves off a bit of time, but the transfer is inconvient, and the cost is not worth it. If it actually were extended to the Bund, near the East Nanjing Subway Station, it would be a different story. Even better, run high speed rail with 2 or 3 stops connecting PVG and SHA, since MU runs a split hub operation and sells PVG/SHA connections.
 
User avatar
Zoedyn
Topic Author
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Re: PKX assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:06 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
Busan airport IATA code is PUS but not BUS

Thanks for the correction

PS: I always appreciate Anetters’ correction of any factual mistakes in my posts

nomorerjs wrote:
I would guess the following will be required / demanded:

ATL
AUS
BNA
BOS
CLT
DEN
DFW
DTW
EWR
HNL
IAD
IAH
JFK
LAX
MIA
MSP
ORD
PDX
PHL
PHX
RDU
SEA
SFO
SJC


That’s an impressive list of US destinations I believe PKX-based carriers like CZ, MU, JD would aspire/dream to fly to in years/decades to come :rotfl:

But as pointed out earlier, in the short term, PKX would have literally zero chance of any substantial expansion of US routes by either side of US/Chinese carriers due to a terrible lack of further traffic rights with the current bilateral, which is unlikely to get expanded at the moment/in the near future given the souring US-China relations in uncertainty mode the world is witnessing

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos