Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Exciting Takeoffs!

Sun Aug 29, 1999 7:53 pm

Earlier this year, I was in Japan and had the pleasure of two takeoffs from Osaka's domestic airport, Itami. From Runway 32L, aircraft fly an extremely tight climbing left turn, presumably for noise reasons. On a clear day, this allows superb views of the airport itself, as you climb right over it; the same came be said of Tokyo Haneda. I remember also that one of the takeoffs from Boston - 15 - I think - involves a fairly sharp turn almost immediately after the aircraft rotates. Can anyone else share some good takeoffs?

TP343

RE: Exciting Takeoffs!

Sun Aug 29, 1999 9:00 pm

Taking off heading South from Rio/Santos Dumont (SDU) is also nice, as the plane must turn right (in case of coming to São Paulo) during the climbing in order to not hit Pão de Açúcar (a mountainous formation in the entry of Baía de Guanabara, very well known Rio' and Brazilian postcard).

Regards,

TP343, São Paulo, Brazil.

AirT85

Mon Aug 30, 1999 12:13 am

One of the most exciting take offs i have experienced would be the take-off from Williamsport Pa. I was flyin on a Dornier 328 from Williamsport to Pittsburgh. The airport is surrounded by mountains on all sides. It was interesting to feel the little plane boilt down the runway and jerk the nose up. You practically have to stall the plane to clear the mountains and while climbing your turning left for noise abatement. Granted i have only been there once, it was still rather exciting!
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

AA7771stClass

Mon Aug 30, 1999 5:28 am

I was on a 757 out of SNA. That was a steep climb and they had to cut the engines low for the noise abatement. How exciting.

Bruce

Mon Aug 30, 1999 5:42 am

There is also a tight right turn coming off of R36 at Washington National (DCA) because the planes have to follow the river (they're not allowed on the other side of the river because Washington DC is protected airspace), and the airport is right on the river where it curves. Landing on that runway, it looks like you're going to come down right in the park there !!
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

tygue

Mon Aug 30, 1999 6:09 am

St Maarten (Princess Juliana Intl) is a great arrival/departure. I'm not sure of the runway numbers, but on takeoff, there is an fairly large mountain staring you in the face. On landing, it looks like you will land right on the beach.

Nice vacation spot, as well  

Another exciting takeoff is any one in the Boeing 747. If you sit in the very back, you get a great falling sensation when the airplane is rotating off the runway.

Take care,
Tygue

BryanG

Mon Aug 30, 1999 9:34 am

Eastbound flights from Chicago Midway (MDW) that take off to the northwest or southwest are always turned around very quickly. The quick takeoff, sharp turn, windy weather, and following noise abatement can make for a takeoff even better than runway 36 at DCA.

william

Mon Aug 30, 1999 10:28 am

I have 3.

Leaving DCA heading south,no not the famed northen takeoff but south straight out in a AA757 of course. We must have had clearance straight to 20,000 because when we leveled that was our altitude according to the pilot. The funny thing is,we had 2 very haired pilots,you would thing that would be conservative. HaHA,very funny. When we lifted off the climb became steeper,then steeper,it helps if your aircraft is only 60% full. What a ride!

The second was on a UA 727 out of Austin's old Mueller airport. At the end of the 7500 ft runway is I-35. When we took off,remember this is a 727,when went into an immediate,and I do mean immediate right bank,when I looked out across the wing, halfway through the turn,I saw I-35 and all the cars on it. We somehow,and I am not exagerating completed a 180 degree turn just a little passed the runway edge. Awesome.

And again,leaving Mueller,heading SE on a AA757,we went into our customary steep ascension,but the spectacular thing is the aircraft ability to do a 180 degree turn without let any change in its steep ascension rate. Awesome,and excillerating.

BryanG

Mon Aug 30, 1999 11:03 am

William's post just reminded me to mention the 757 takeoffs that I see every day at GSO. Occsionally at UPS we'll dispatch a 757 nearly *empty*: only a couple thousand punds of cargo and just an hour's worth of gas.

These planes routinely get up in 2,500 feet and are well above that altitude by the time they reach the other end of the runway. Truly impressive to watch - I'd love to be able to ride along!

flyCMH

Mon Aug 30, 1999 11:06 am

I like the takeoff from San Juan Luis Munoz Marin International from the north runway taking off to the east. Right after takeoff, we banked sharply to the left, and we got an amazing view of the beach and then the hotel zone and the city of San Juan. It's a nice takeoff. Takeoffs from Port Columbus to the west are nice too. Right after takeoff, if you're on the left side of the plane, you get a great view of downtown. If you're on the right side, you get a good view of Crew Stadium, The Horseshoe, and the Ohio State Universtiy Campus. Takeoffs from Cancun are nice too. We passed right over the hotel area at sunset. It was really nice.

megatop

Mon Aug 30, 1999 6:13 pm

To takeoff at Kai Tak, in a 747-200 at MTOW, knowing that the runway is ending in the sea, is very exciting.

The acceleration of a 747-200 at MTOW is very slowl. You can feel those 4 engins at full trottle as well a hearing them. And just in the last second (that was it feels like) the plane leaves the runway.

The climb is also very slowly. As this was a departure at 23.59 the view of Hong Kong at night was very nice.

This flight was way back in 1988 on a BA plane bound for LHR.

kaitak
Topic Author

RE: Exciting Takeoffs - Megatop!

Mon Aug 30, 1999 7:57 pm

Yes, I heartily agree Megatop; I had the chance to do this on two CX 747s out of 13, BUT - and to my lasting regret - I never had the chance to experience a takeoff on 31, at full weight. Most airlines cannot do this, due to weight constraints, but CX was so authorised. I will never forget seeing a CX 744, departing for LAX doing this. Boy, was that a sight!
If I ever get a chance to experience a simulator ride, I'll try and get that programmed in! Thanks for the message!

RedAirForce

Tue Aug 31, 1999 5:19 am

We were in Russia for a World War II history tour. We had been to St.Petersburg and were in Moscow for a few days when it was time to head to Stalingrad / Volgograd. So we drove to one of Moscow's airports (Domodevedo; forget how to spell it). We drove on a 1960's bus out to our air plane, a nice converted Russian bomber of Volga Airlines ( a Tupolev Tu-134). The flight down was not that bad, except for the Vietnamese boxed lunch, and the fact that Russian pilots like to fly real high ( maybe they are trying to resupply MIR). The flight lasted 2 1 / 2 hours and we landed in Volgograd. Very hot and dusty, but an incredible city with a wealth of interesting WWII things to see. After 4 days we headed back to Volgograd AP and boarded the Volga Air flight back to Moscow. The plane was loaded with people heading back as it was a Sunday. As soon as we got on we knew that the seat assignments were out the window! I found an open window seat and sat and waited for the take off. I started playing with a bolt on the wall and it came out. I quickly put it back in. The Tupolev started down the runway and just kept going -- no take off! We went up and then boom, back down, then up again, then boom, back down. On the third try the pilot pulled up and we heard the engines strain but we were able to get airborne ( maybe 50 feet off the ground). This was good, as there was no runway left! This did not seem to faze the Russians on the flight, but none of us Americans spoke until we landed in Moscow. So, be careful if flying the Volga skies!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos