Cointrin330
Topic Author

Geneva Airport - Long Haul Concourse

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 pm

Does anyone know when this opens?

SurlyBonds

Re: Geneva Airport - Long Haul Concourse

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:27 pm

Didn't know they were opening a new one, but whenever it is, it can't come soon enough. This was easily the worst long-haul arrival area I have seen at any European airport.

MoonC

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 pm

Fall 2020.

jsnww81

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:08 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
Didn't know they were opening a new one, but whenever it is, it can't come soon enough. This was easily the worst long-haul arrival area I have seen at any European airport.

Agree completely - I flew into GVA in 2011 and was pretty surprised. Basically a hallway that looked like it was made out of tinker-toys, punctuated by a few jetways. The airside departure area wasn't much better - an industrial-looking room with seats and a couple of doors into the tinker-toy hallway. More in line with what you'd expect to find at a dumpy budget airport in the UK, not a city as wealthy and confident as Geneva.

Great to hear they're building a proper facility at last.

phofmannsair

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:16 am

Cointrin330 wrote:

Should be completed in Nov.2020 and opening mid December 2020.
I'm going to visit the Aile Est today in a few hours. I'll probably post a few pics on here or the Swiss Aviation Thread.

Regards,

Patrick.

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:57 am

phofmannsair wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

Should be completed in Nov.2020 and opening mid December 2020.
I'm going to visit the Aile Est today in a few hours. I'll probably post a few pics on here or the Swiss Aviation Thread.

Regards,

Patrick.

Thank you. That's great.

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:59 am

jsnww81 wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:

Agree completely - I flew into GVA in 2011 and was pretty surprised. Basically a hallway that looked like it was made out of tinker-toys, punctuated by a few jetways. The airside departure area wasn't much better - an industrial-looking room with seats and a couple of doors into the tinker-toy hallway. More in line with what you'd expect to find at a dumpy budget airport in the UK, not a city as wealthy and confident as Geneva.

Great to hear they're building a proper facility at last.

Indeed, yes, the old concourse was actually a temporary structure, built in the 1970s and at a time when GVA handled even larger wide body aircraft than it does today, with the 747 among them as well as a good number of DC10s, L1011s, and so forth.

PipoA380

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Here's a picture I took in December of the construction works of the new Terminal, called "Aile Est" (translates into "East Wing"). In front of it, you can see the "temporary" building for long haul (square white building), that will eventually be ripped apart.

And here a few pictures of how it will look like when completed in 2020:
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

flyPIT

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:42 pm

While sorely needed it looks like another cheap addition.

What is that 4-5 story black building between this new concourse and the train station?
FLYi

phofmannsair

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:12 pm

flyPIT wrote:

What is that 4-5 story black building between this new concourse and the train station?

The black building is the IATA Center. Not connected to the East Wing.

flyPIT

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:18 pm

phofmannsair wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Ok thanks. So it's just offices and meeting space? GVA is already a space constrained airport; it's amazing they would place that building right there on land that could have been used to expand the main terminal. Same for the arena. These two buildings could have gone anywhere else in the city.
FLYi

xorrygva

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:27 pm

flyPIT wrote:
phofmannsair wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Ok thanks. So it's just offices and meeting space? GVA is already a space constrained airport; it's amazing they would place that building right there on land that could have been used to expand the main terminal. Same for the arena. These two buildings could have gone anywhere else in the city.

I agree, however these two buildings were planed in the 80s and built in the 90s. Capacity constraint was not an issue at that time.

pmartin

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:29 am

The black building is mainly the luggage sorting facility, built n the 90s. So it has always been part of the airport infrastructure, and planned as such. They added a couple of office floors on top, IATA and Swissair back then. The luggage facility is now being expended and modernised for CHF 250mio (same amount in USD). The office floors haven been acquired by the airport. Probably a good place to shift the airport administration as they modernise the main terminal from 2025 onwards (the airport mentions a vertical expansion, so it is fair to assume that the office floors on top of the departure and transit hall will go). As for the palexpo hall 7, there was back then a lot of controversy on this building, it was rushed due to the demand for surface for the motor show. The airport expressed concern, but the immediate priority back then was to please the motor show.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos