Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jgsushi
Topic Author

Re: Delta's A220 fleet issues and outcomes

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:56 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
LaunchDetected wrote:
A little but off-topic (but no more than the previous posts):

Do we have any intel about the performance of the small Korean Air A220-300 fleet? The language barrier doesn't let escape a lot of information.

I don't know anything really about that, I've mainly been concentrating my efforts on Delta's fleet. It's not off topic though, I'm sure we could all benefit from discussing it! I can't speak for everyone else, but I have learned a lot about Delta's A220 fleet so I don't see why we can't discuss Korean's as well!
Lmao the A220's engines (PW1500G) at low thrust levels sound like Chewbacca

Dalmd88

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:25 am

WayexTDI wrote:
Jgsushi wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Most likely the vacuum generator wasn't functioning. It creates the level of vacuum needed for the system to properly function when the aircraft is below 16,000 ft.
As you said, not a big deal.

Aha, there is the cause. Does that system affect anything other than the lavatories?

The vacuum system drives/impacts the toilets (the vacuum ones, not the recirculating obviously) and Galley Waste Disposal Units (primarily installed on wide-bodies). I believe the sinks (galley and toilet) also dump into the same system, not entirely sure to be honest.

Not familiar with the A220 system but pretty much all the others I've worked on the galley sinks were not connected to the lav waste system. They typically just vent directly overboard. One reason never to stand near a drain mast when the plane is getting cleaned.

Jgsushi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:12 am

jumbojet wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm more excited about flying DL's CS1 next month on DFW-SLC and DTW-DFW, the AA 788 I'm catching on DFW-ORD-DFW or the A20N I flew on NK on LAS-DFW last month. I'm inclined to lean towards the CS1 because I've never flown DL (and, the luster of the 788 might have been dampened by my SAT-DFW flight on an AA Oasis 738).

CS1 is amazing, they really hit a grand slam. There are so many things to love about it. Took no time at all to board because it really doesnt seat that many people so boarding goes really quickly. The coach lav with the window is on the left side of the plane btw.

Gotta agree. That bird is a beauty

Jgsushi
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:00 pm

evank516 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
I saw N102DU in DTW yesterday, it was operating DL 2665 DTW-DFW yesterday afternoon. It departed the gate A3 on-time at 12:10pm and it was being de-iced on the 4R pad next to my flight yesterday.

I was looking up flights to MCI in May and it looks like the A220 will take a few LGA-DTW rotations as well.

It looks like the A220s are doing service from Detroit to LaGuardia and Boston on the weekends now, regularly.

7673mech

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:58 pm

Jgsushi wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
I was on N103DU today. Pilot came out to the boarding area and announced that the lavs (all 3) wouldn't be functional until 16,000 feet due to some kind of a pressure issue with all the toilets. Not a big deal I guess, just a mild inconvenience.

Most likely the vacuum generator wasn't functioning. It creates the level of vacuum needed for the system to properly function when the aircraft is below 16,000 ft.

Aha, there is the cause. Does that system affect anything other than the lavatories?

No.

7673mech

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:01 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Jgsushi wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

The vacuum system drives/impacts the toilets (the vacuum ones, not the recirculating obviously) and Galley Waste Disposal Units (primarily installed on wide-bodies). I believe the sinks (galley and toilet) also dump into the same system, not entirely sure to be honest.

The vacuum waste motor affects the flushing of the toilet.
Nothing to do with galleys or grey water.

Jgsushi
Topic Author

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:34 pm

N103DU pushes back from the gate on March 13 then returned to it. Although it eventually did depart 3 hours late from DFW, it hasn't flown in the 4 days since. Obviously it's a little early to say it's been taken out of service since Delta has kept a few A220s on the ground during weekends, but has anyone heard what the issue was?

TW870

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Jgsushi wrote:
N103DU pushes back from the gate on March 13 then returned to it. Although it eventually did depart 3 hours late from DFW, it hasn't flown in the 4 days since. Obviously it's a little early to say it's been taken out of service since Delta has kept a few A220s on the ground during weekends, but has anyone heard what the issue was?

Don't know about the nature of that specific delay, but I wouldn't read too much into that plane being out of service. The schedule right now doesn't require as many aircraft as they have, and thus there can be at least one hot spare all day. Now that 8107 and 8109 have been delivered, more flying will be added to the A220 schedule and 8103 will be back in the air. All 6 LGA-DFW trips go A220 this week, for example.

tkoenig95

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:18 pm

How many A220s will DL be receiving this year? I am hoping to see more A220s free up 717s for upgauging and expansion.

Cactusjuba

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:59 am

24 deliveries planned for 2019. Here's your continued 717 (and E175/CR9) replacement:

Delta Air Lines in the weekend of 17MAR19’s schedule update filed expanded Airbus A220-100 service in the West Coast, for winter 2019/20 season. The latest addition will see the A220 serving Austin, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Los Angeles – Austin 21DEC19 – 02JAN20 1 daily
Los Angeles – Seattle 21DEC19 – 02JAN20 3 daily
San Francisco – Salt Lake City eff 06JAN20 4 daily
Seattle – Salt Lake City eff 06JAN20 1 daily
Seattle – San Francisco eff 06JAN20 6 daily

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... rk-in-w19/

Jgsushi
Topic Author

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:46 pm

N104DU returned to LGA shortly after takeoff today. Anybody know why?
DL318

ryanov

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:34 am

Looked for a thread on this, didn't find one, posted a new thread, and then Google found this one. Apologies for the double post, but I bet the other topic gets killed anyhow:

Curious if anyone knows: is Delta having trouble with the A220 fleet? I noticed upon arriving EWR last night that the A220 flight from DTW was cancelled. My flight was 2:25 late, mostly due to mechanical (APU, requiring a air start apparently all day). The same flight on Monday was cancelled, and apparently the afternoon A220 flight from MSP was cancelled on 7/17.

It's all anecdotal evidence, but I haven't personally had a Delta flight cancelled in ages, so this many cancels on one aircraft type raises my eyebrows.

fanoftristars

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:42 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has any recent data on reliability of the A220 fleet? My past few months' flights have been on time/early and no subs or mechanical issues (knock on wood)! My flight attendant last week said passengers really love the plane.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

TropicalSky

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:11 pm

From what I see daily on Flightaware there's almost always at least 10-15 airborne at any one time during the day.....I noticed a JFK-AUS & DTW-AUS rotation recently

T4thH

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:30 pm

It seems, when a jet has completed the first few month and the teething problems of a new build jet are gone, it is a highly reliable plane. And it seems also with increasing productions numbers, the new build jets have less and less teething problems.
Just seems the A220 has a low number of issues (with exception of the PW1524G jet engine version with last faulty software update), and dispatch rates slowly but steadily further improving.

lightsaber

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:07 am

fanoftristars wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has any recent data on reliability of the A220 fleet? My past few months' flights have been on time/early and no subs or mechanical issues (knock on wood)! My flight attendant last week said passengers really love the plane.

Has DL shared dispatch reliability? It seems to have improved at DL and other A220 operators (engine inspections excepted).

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

MIflyer12

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:59 am

The A220-100, Delta’s newest plane, has been having some operational problems since starting flights in February, Bastian said. The airline completes more than 95% of A220 flights, he said, a measure of how often its avoids cancellations. But Delta, which prides itself on reliability, wants to get that number to 99%.

That's a quote from 9/2019. https://www.heraldnet.com/business/delt ... d-the-797/

n7371f

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:16 am

DL also keeps an unsual number of spares when compared to other fleet types I've been told.

In fact, this past month I've seen CS1's parked on remote stands in DFW, DTW, SLC during busy weekday periods.

MIflyer12 wrote:
The A220-100, Delta’s newest plane, has been having some operational problems since starting flights in February, Bastian said. The airline completes more than 95% of A220 flights, he said, a measure of how often its avoids cancellations. But Delta, which prides itself on reliability, wants to get that number to 99%.

That's a quote from 9/2019. https://www.heraldnet.com/business/delt ... d-the-797/

Elementalism

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:49 am

Flew on the A220 for the first time this weekend. What is with the god awful noises with this plane while taxiing? If anybody wants to experience them go to seat 21a. Once airborne it is fine. I can only assume it is a combination of the brakes and maybe a fuel pump? It sounds like servos grinding away until we got rolling.

bpat777

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:02 am

Elementalism wrote:
Flew on the A220 for the first time this weekend. What is with the god awful noises with this plane while taxiing? If anybody wants to experience them go to seat 21a. Once airborne it is fine. I can only assume it is a combination of the brakes and maybe a fuel pump? It sounds like servos grinding away until we got rolling.

I thought I was the only one that notices how noisy the A220 is on the ground. I've flown on an A220 twice with DL and both times was seated in row 20 and found the plane to be pretty loud on the ground as well.

teachpdx

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:29 am

Elementalism wrote:

There’s a very unique sound created by the GTF engines when advancing from idle. This could be what you are hearing.
Earlier this year when I was flying the inaugural on DL, one of the pilots said he advances from idle more than he would in other aircraft because “it’s a fun noise” or something like that. I personally love the sound.
Up Next: THIS YEAR IS CANCELLED!!!

hk4321

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:43 am

LaunchDetected wrote:
A little but off-topic (but no more than the previous posts):

Do we have any intel about the performance of the small Korean Air A220-300 fleet? The language barrier doesn't let escape a lot of information.

Cannot directly answer your question from the operator's perspective,
but as a passenger used to fly on the type quite regularly (2 flights/week since the introduction of the type into the airline fleet), never encountered delay due to any tech issue.

Well aware of the engine issue though.

Load factor wise, it was mostly full for the route I flew regularly (GMP-HIN-GMP).
In the early phases KE allocated the type on routes that the 738, 739 were a little too big and that worked out pretty well I think as those 737's were not lightly loaded but just wasn't full.

SEASFO

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:26 am

Was scheduled to fly my first A220 SJC-SEA on N106DU back in September, but deplaned after an hour sitting at the gate due to captain finding an oil leak during inspection. Pretty disappointing, it's a beautiful aircraft and I would be more than happy to fly an A220 on transcon. I ended up getting rerouted via LAX on an E175 and B739 which were both slightly less comfortable. It got me wondering though because I remember reading about the LX incidents literally right before boarding, hopefully they get sorted out soon.

Anyway, hopefully I can get a proper test soon, this aircraft truly is a game changer for short haul and lives up to all the hype based on all my firsthand experience so far.

AA737-823

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:38 am

Elementalism wrote:

Welcome to the (bizarre) Bombardier hydraulic philosophy of running a standby pump AND a PTU (Power Transfer Unit) ALL THE TIME, until you're in the air with gear and flaps up.
It's like the barking dog noise that people hear on the A320, except on the A320 it typically stops once the second engine spools up.
I have no idea why they designed the CSeries/A220 this way; it drives me nuts. I hate listening to that darn thing.
Over in Boeing 737 land, we simply run TWO engine-driven pumps and TWO electric motor pumps all the time. And they're nowhere near as loud as a PTU. Plus, with four pumps, you've got a lot more leeway for deferrals on the 737.
I love the A220, but there are already several things about it that I'm not real crazy about.

fanoftristars

Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:59 pm

teachpdx wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

There’s a very unique sound created by the GTF engines when advancing from idle. This could be what you are hearing.
Earlier this year when I was flying the inaugural on DL, one of the pilots said he advances from idle more than he would in other aircraft because “it’s a fun noise” or something like that. I personally love the sound.

You'll sometimes hear that whine of the engines on approach when they're spinning at idle and spool up after flaps are lowered and or gear is dropped, depending on throttle position. I've never sat past row 11 yet, so not sure on the sound in the back, but I really love this little plane. Just the look of the fan blades and fan diameter on a small narrow body is cool to look at, and the engines are oh-so-quiet at take-off thrust. No racket like from the CFMs on the Airbus 320 or 738.

Further, it seems Delta has worked out a lot of the kinks with the streaming AVOD system. First few flights it always seemed the system was doing weird things, or the FAs couldn't get the safety video to play, but my last 4-5 flights have been flawless. I'm thrilled Delta has "based" this plane in Dallas as with the exception of just a few 717 flights to MSP and or DTW, we've pretty much AVOD equipped planes going everywhere. Now just hoping for 2x per day E175 flight to SEA and I'd be happy!
"FLY DELTA JETS"

lightsaber

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:23 pm

n7371f wrote:
DL also keeps an unsual number of spares when compared to other fleet types I've been told.

In fact, this past month I've seen CS1's parked on remote stands in DFW, DTW, SLC during busy weekday periods.

MIflyer12 wrote:

I couldn't find enough data in the FAA database to comment.
https://av-info.faa.gov/sdrx/Query.aspx

When I put is dates 01/01/2018 to 12/17/2019, most A220 had one report, if any.
N105DU performed 7.9 hours per day and 3.2 cycles/day. (put 105DU in as the tail number, skip the leading N).
N110DU performed 8.8 hours per day, 3.5 cycles/day.

So not many flights, but normal, but a bit low, utilization.

As so many lacked data, I gave up trying to figure out more.

Similar studies on the B717 were 6.5 to 6.9 hours/day, but 4.5 to 5 cycles/day. So the A220s are flown more hours per day, but far fewer cycles (longer missions).

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

Elementalism

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:35 pm

teachpdx wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

The engines do produce this on wind up. It isnt very long, a couple seconds. I figured it was due to the gearing. But these were sounds not linked to the engines. They were coming from what sounded like in the cargo hold or right under the seats. I don't usually make a big deal about sounds on a plane. But at time the sounds was legit uncomfortable to my ears. And seemed to reverberate through the cabin. I think one had to be the brakes. But there was also this constant grinding sound until we took off. I was tempted to record it yesterday with my phone. I took two flights MSP-->DFW and DFW-->MSP in the A220. Both in the same seat. Both had the same awful sounds. Just weird.

Elementalism

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:38 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

Welcome to the (bizarre) Bombardier hydraulic philosophy of running a standby pump AND a PTU (Power Transfer Unit) ALL THE TIME, until you're in the air with gear and flaps up.
It's like the barking dog noise that people hear on the A320, except on the A320 it typically stops once the second engine spools up.
I have no idea why they designed the CSeries/A220 this way; it drives me nuts. I hate listening to that darn thing.
Over in Boeing 737 land, we simply run TWO engine-driven pumps and TWO electric motor pumps all the time. And they're nowhere near as loud as a PTU. Plus, with four pumps, you've got a lot more leeway for deferrals on the 737.
I love the A220, but there are already several things about it that I'm not real crazy about.

That would explain it then. I knew it had to be a pump of some type. But it is terrible on the ears. They couldn't provide better sound masking for it? People around me were all looking around like wtf?

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:28 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

That’s odd, as the G7500 has similar architecture, but 1B, 2B, and the PTU are left in AUTO with only 3A ON. Yes, 3A whines, but everything else is silent. We usually shut off 3A when parked to eliminate the whining. All normal ops are on the 1 & 2 EDPs and 3A; PTU only as needed by a non-normal.

luv2cattlecall

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:45 pm

Elementalism wrote:
teachpdx wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

The engines do produce this on wind up. It isnt very long, a couple seconds. I figured it was due to the gearing. But these were sounds not linked to the engines. They were coming from what sounded like in the cargo hold or right under the seats. I don't usually make a big deal about sounds on a plane. But at time the sounds was legit uncomfortable to my ears. And seemed to reverberate through the cabin. I think one had to be the brakes. But there was also this constant grinding sound until we took off. I was tempted to record it yesterday with my phone. I took two flights MSP-->DFW and DFW-->MSP in the A220. Both in the same seat. Both had the same awful sounds. Just weird.

Pilot did a single engine taxi on our DFW-JFK flight, and the noise seemed to get better about a minute after the second engine was started, fwiw.