worldranger

Re: Observed today: the perfect dress/style of an Asian flight crew

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:59 am

vhtje wrote:
sassiciai wrote:
vhtje wrote:

Absolute nonsense. I work in IT. I meet sloppily (by my standards) dressed individuals constantly. That does not stop them from being some of the sharpest and cleverest people I know.

Does the saying, “Don’t judge a book by its cover” not mean anything to you?

In my view, it very difficult for any crew member to look sharp in some of the more recent US airline uniforms, which have clearly prioritised the wearer’s comfort over style - DL and AA spring to mind, for example.

What you claim as absolute nonsense is....er, absolute nonsense!

Your IT wizard works in a back office or at home. There are no companies (correct me if I am wrong) in the software industry (or many others) that ask staff to wear anything remotely akin to a uniform! IBM had the white shirt/red tie thing for a while, but that was a century ago! When they do actually meet, it is people from the same company, or on the same dollar, or on the same objective. Nothing to do with meeting the mass consumer market, or a customer facing role. I am also from the software industry, and many of the sharpest were known as customer-disasters, and as such, kept at home in a cage whenever a customer (actual or potential) was about

Can you imagine if an airline that needs to have its staff visible and identifiable on-board their aircraft did not mandate a uniform? As it is mandatory, then it says something about the airline as to the degree that how the uniform is worn, and the degree to which staff may choose to wear said uniform loosely! Enough posters above comment on the difference between a march-past by a SE Asian crew and that of some US long haul airline!

I flew in 2013 a few VietJet sectors, and loved their FA uniforms. Short shorts, nice red blouses, happy staff with lots of smiles - it was great!

You have misinterpreted my post. Of course those sloppily-dressed IT types are not in customer-facing roles; I never said they were. My post was specifically responding to a post that equated a person’s appearance to how organised their life was. Which is utter nonsense.

If it’s utter nonsense due ‘customer facing’ roles - then presumably the army doesn’t need uniforms either, right? I mean if you’re strong, you’re strong.

What’s missed in the debate is the criticality of chain of command and the purpose the uniform serves in that role along with image and branding. By substituting your individualism with a correctly worn uniform - it demonstrates that you as a crew member are a believer in the ‘collective’ ie a team as against putting your personal needs ahead of that team. By eroding your uniform standards compared to others - sends a subtle message of ‘the team is not as important to me’. I see it all the time with younger FOs - but when you discuss the concept of ‘collective’ they usually get it.

Being in the long haul world, chain of command and team work over a long multi-day, multi sector, multi time zone trip cannot be overemphasized.
Those of us who served in the military know this from day one, know your role, do it professionally.

I know flying an airplane is not going to the moon - but most passengers and crew will immediately judge you on your first impressions, why lose that chance with your colleagues and customers?

The vast majority of fellow pilots who turn up with unshined shoes, jacket open, hat stuffed in bag, chewing gum etc...carry the same ethic into the flight deck.

It’s the ‘Me’ generation, I’m from the time of ‘Us’

Ah well..

vegas005

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:19 am

seabosdca wrote:
Professionalism in appearance is one thing, but obsession with details that have nothing to do with the fundamental purpose of the job is quite another. I'd much rather have my flight attendants spend their training time learning to act with military precision in an emergency than covering every detail of how to walk to the gate in the airport. And safety statistics suggest that US crews are as good as any in emergency situations.

In terms of substance, the best service experiences I've had have been on US and European airlines. Asian airlines tend to feature a combination of obsequiousness and lack of agency that does absolutely nothing for me. I'd rather have customer service staff who level with me and are empowered, and have the experience, to address concerns effectively.

Laughable. No better crews than on Singapore Airlines or EVA Air ... both 5 star airlines I might add. The only European carrier that comes close is Lufthansa. The crews, planes, and training for these 3 carriers are impeccable and they don't look like a herd of water buffalo walking through the terminal.

69bug

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:17 am

Back around 2000ish I was in line behind a CZ crewset in the crew lane, the First officer wasn't wearing socks. I noticed it because his pants was a bit short in the leg. He's probably flying a 777 or 380 from the left hand seat now!

They've made big strides since then.

bug

smokeybandit

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 am

I can't ever say I flew somewhere, domestic or international, and thought to myself "wow those flight attendants look like they rolled right out of bed and onto the plane"

afcjets

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:50 pm

XLA2008 wrote:
I have always found it rather interesting that the USA was one of the nations to set the standard on how flight crew should look and behave and yet today they fall VERY short on that list compared to most every other airline.

It all started with the feminist movement in the US which infiltrated unions like the AFA and the standards went downhill from there.

SteelChair

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:55 pm

afcjets wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:
I have always found it rather interesting that the USA was one of the nations to set the standard on how flight crew should look and behave and yet today they fall VERY short on that list compared to most every other airline.

It all started with the feminist movement in the US which infiltrated unions like the AFA and the standards went downhill from there.

Getting popcorn now.....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos