eta unknown

Re: Qatar Airways CEO threatens withdrawal from OneWorld Alliance

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:55 pm

LOL I know... have you seen how many times the same DOH based jobs keep showing up on the QR careers site after a few months?

J343

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 am

Not a toxic response from Qantas but very pragmatic. Yes, the blockage was unfair on Qatar Airways but there is no need for AAB to act so childish. He mentions that some airlines are failing 'to act in the spirit of an alliance' so what!? Qantas and Cathay haven't been the best of friends for a long time and yet still managed to act civil with each other and both were founding members of oneworld and only until recently they have started extensive codesharing partnerships. AAB clearly thinks the world shoukd revolve around him.

Funnily enough though, Malaysia Airlines' decision to form a partnership with Emirates is questionable, surely they could have partnered with Qatar instead but then again, oneworld allows all member airlines to be flexible with partnerships with other airlines outside of oneworld. Star Alliance isn't exactly known to offer this type of flexibility, not sure about SkyTeam. As much as I dislike Emirates and Etihad, I think I would rather have Emirates into oneworld but it will be sad to see Qatar leave oneworld, AAB just needs to grow the eff up. Perhaps Oman Air and Gulf Air can replace Qatar.

RyanairGuru

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:18 am

Qantas aren't really being "toxic", the most they could be accused of is two-faced given how liberal the Australia-UAE bilateral is. If you look at Qantas' relationship with (until recently) Cathay Pacific and (post Emirates) British Airways they can be described as business professional. No love there but they can sit down in the same room. If the relationship with Qatar is different then that has more to do with QR/AAB than anything else, who can't accept that QF won't terminate their JBA with EK to support QR.

I actually woudn't be shocked if there was some Qatari foreign policy tied up in this, as Qantas (and arguably the Australian government by not granting Qatar comparable traffic rights) is favouring the UAE over Qatar.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

aemoreira1981

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:52 am

If AT joins oneworld as expected, I suspect that that would save QR from leaving oneworld, given how close QR and AT are.

kimshep

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:25 am

evanb wrote:
J343 wrote:
AA/Qantas/Cathay are not integrated in their respective alliance? I would have thought they are the most active within oneworld alongside JL and BA. These carriers have extensive codeshares (AA+QF, QF+JL, CX+JL, CX+AA, JL+AA, BA+JL, AA+BA and recently CX+QF) If ever, I would say UL, MH and RJ are not very integrated in oneworld and are barely active. But please correct me if I am wrong :)

AA+QF=JV
AA+JL=JV
BA+IB+AA+AY=JV
AA+LA=JV
BA+IB+LA=JV

Correction, evanb.

"AA+QF=JV" This is incorrect - there is currently no immunised Joint Venture between AA and QF. There was a previous JV which was dissolved some 2+ years ago by DOJ. Both AA and QF resubmitted for approval some 12-14 months ago and this was rejected by the US DOJ. Further information and explanation was requested by Justice, which is in the process of resubmission by both airlines. A decision on approval is anticipated in the next few months, but right now, there is NO AA+QF JVA.

getluv

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:41 am

kimshep wrote:
evanb wrote:
J343 wrote:
AA/Qantas/Cathay are not integrated in their respective alliance? I would have thought they are the most active within oneworld alongside JL and BA. These carriers have extensive codeshares (AA+QF, QF+JL, CX+JL, CX+AA, JL+AA, BA+JL, AA+BA and recently CX+QF) If ever, I would say UL, MH and RJ are not very integrated in oneworld and are barely active. But please correct me if I am wrong :)

AA+QF=JV
AA+JL=JV
BA+IB+AA+AY=JV
AA+LA=JV
BA+IB+LA=JV

Correction, evanb.

"AA+QF=JV" This is incorrect - there is currently no immunised Joint Venture between AA and QF. There was a previous JV which was dissolved some 2+ years ago by DOJ. Both AA and QF resubmitted for approval some 12-14 months ago and this was rejected by the US DOJ. Further information and explanation was requested by Justice, which is in the process of resubmission by both airlines. A decision on approval is anticipated in the next few months, but right now, there is NO AA+QF JVA.

This is slightly incorrect. AA+QF had a joint business arrangement prior to the original application for a JV because AA did not operate flights to Australia. Their second application is still under review by the DOT and the response period has just closed. There's been very little opposition this time around, with just B6 requesting that the JV be limited to 3-5 years.

https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=DOT-OST-2018-0030
I'm that bad type.

peterinlisbon

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:40 am

If Qatar left Oneworld they would have the same problem with any other alliance they wanted to join - all of them contain US airlines that are lobbying to defend their interests. And anyway, if being in Oneworld is making money for them it would be silly to leave. If it's not then they should leave anyway.

cedars747

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:37 am

I don't think that such an important, rich and excellent airline should be part of an alliance with lower members such as AA, IB and of course Latam.
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

VTCIE

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:04 am

cedars747 wrote:
I don't think that such an important, rich and excellent airline

I agree. By any means the best business class in the world (the Qsuite). So much so that QR's first class has by far become redundant. Plus all the offers and promotions. Having never flown a Middle Eastern airline (disclaimer), I will fly QR over EK any day. EK is a megamachine; QR has a touch of elegance.

On a different note, QR has the best corporate typeface of any airline in the world. Modern and semi-serif. It looks much like Renault's font, which I find very classy and French, except that QR's is that times a thousand.
In contrast, EK's and SQ's signature fonts give them a very dated air.

cedars747 wrote:
should be part of an alliance with lower members such as AA, IB and of course Latam.

No. AA and BA may be bad on customer service, but not the others. Most definitely not JAL. It deserves its Skytrax 5-star rating (even though that is generally considered to be a joke).
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

cedars747

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:02 pm

VTCIE wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

I agree. By any means the best business class in the world (the Qsuite). So much so that QR's first class has by far become redundant. Plus all the offers and promotions. Having never flown a Middle Eastern airline (disclaimer), I will fly QR over EK any day. EK is a megamachine; QR has a touch of elegance.

On a different note, QR has the best corporate typeface of any airline in the world. Modern and semi-serif. It looks much like Renault's font, which I find very classy and French, except that QR's is that times a thousand.

cedars747 wrote:
should be part of an alliance with lower members such as AA, IB and of course Latam.

No. AA and BA may be bad on customer service, but not the others. Most definitely not JAL. It deserves its Skytrax 5-star rating (even though that is generally considered to be a joke).

BA and JL are good airlines, but difference between One world members compared to Qatar Airways is huge . Anyway, from my point of view Qatar has all the potential to work alone. Qatar airways is giving oneWorld alliance an undeserved prestige.
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

getluv

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:03 pm

cedars747 wrote:
VTCIE wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

cedars747 wrote:

BA and JL are good airlines, but difference between One world members compared to Qatar Airways is huge . Anyway, from my point of view Qatar has all the potential to work alone. Qatar airways is giving oneWorld alliance an undeserved prestige.

AA and BA are both legacy airlines that need to make a profit, QR doesn’t have these issues especially when they have a government funding its relevance.

If QR didn’t offer a quality hard product then there wouldn’t be a reason to fly them. So in a sense, QR needs these less “rich” airlines than they need QR.
I'm that bad type.

PerfectGriffin

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:51 am

Does QR really benefit from Oneworld? Never seemed like they really did, other than BA ofcourse (which they are a shareholder of so that's a different story).

moa999

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:58 am

PerfectGriffin wrote:
Does QR really benefit from Oneworld? Never seemed like they really did, other than BA ofcourse (which they are a shareholder of so that's a different story).
Only QR can answer that.

I'm sure it helps DOH as a hub as AA and BA FFers in particular will choose QR over other ME competition for flights to cities in Europe and Asia as a result of membership.

Airbusvoyager

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:41 am

cedars747 wrote:
I don't think that such an important, rich and excellent airline should be part of an alliance with lower members such as AA, IB and of course Latam.

Of course, they have different circumstances yet AA wants to compare themselves to the likes of QR. I think QR is an excellent airline in terms of passenger comfort, their hub at DOH, connectivity and customer services as they have a very personal touch unlike EK.

There are better airlines in Oneworld compared to AA, BA and IB. The definite options in Oneworld are JL, UL, MH, QR, QF and maybe CX to a certain extent. Most of the time, AA, BA and CX are overhyped from my personal experiences with these airlines. It is the branding that gave them an edge but not anymore. To me, personal touch is always an important aspect of selecting an airline to travel with.

cedars747

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:49 am

Airbusvoyager wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

Of course, they have different circumstances yet AA wants to compare themselves to the likes of QR. I think QR is an excellent airline in terms of passenger comfort, their hub at DOH, connectivity and customer services as they have a very personal touch unlike EK.

There are better airlines in Oneworld compared to AA, BA and IB. The definite options in Oneworld are JL, UL, MH, QR, QF and maybe CX to a certain extent. Most of the time, AA, BA and CX are overhyped from my personal experiences with these airlines. It is the branding that gave them an edge but not anymore. To me, personal touch is always an important aspect of selecting an airline to travel with.

Absolutely, the personal touch and the small details make the greatness of Qatar airways.

mdavies06

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:18 pm

QR is an investor in IAG, LATAM group and CX (and AT if it joins on the 5th Dec). To my understanding they all have a constructive relationship with QR.

Does QR actively invest in *A or Skyteam carriers? I can't think of any example.

Seems like a wrong move to leave OW, if not premature.

eta unknown

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Are there no QF shares on the market that QR can squirrel away so AAB can get his way?

usflyer msp

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Airbusvoyager wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

It is interesting to note that the "good" airlines in OW are all big money-loosers except QF and sometimes JL.

moa999

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:37 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Are there no QF shares on the market that QR can squirrel away so AAB can get his way?
Like anyone can buy shares on market, subject to disclosure above 5% and takeover/creep above 20% and the overall 50% foreign limit (although as Virgin Aus has shown you can get around that) and the Qantas Sale Act (harder to get around)

But even if say Qatar had 20%, Qantas has a multi-year deal with Emirates and by virtue of its much bigger network is frankly a better option for Qantas pax

NZ321

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:51 pm

What about QR and CZ getting into bed with a bunch of other airlines and starting another alliance? Two very strong carriers. Just need another one or two solid airlines as an anchor and they're away. I suspect they could draw some existing alliance players in as well. :). Not that I'm holding my breath mind you; pigs might fly and all the rest.
Plane mad!

eta unknown

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:02 pm

NZ321 wrote:
What about QR and CZ getting into bed with a bunch of other airlines and starting another alliance? Two very strong carriers. Just need another one or two solid airlines as an anchor and they're away. I suspect they could draw some existing alliance players in as well. :). Not that I'm holding my breath mind you; pigs might fly and all the rest.

Pigs did fly on Emirates- sort of- many years ago when the head of in-flight entertainment gave the OK for the film "Babe" to be screened on board. He was soon fired...

Airbusvoyager

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:37 am

usflyer msp wrote:
Airbusvoyager wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

It is interesting to note that the "good" airlines in OW are all big money-loosers except QF and sometimes JL.

Haha I meant that they are good airlines in terms of services onboard :lol:

Ziyulu

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:07 am

Start a new alliance called World Star Team. Founding members include QR, HU, CZ, VS, EK.

cedars747

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:31 am

Ziyulu wrote:
Start a new alliance called World Star Team. Founding members include QR, HU, CZ, VS, EK.

QR and EK sadly impossible at least in the current political crisis that will not end soon!

NZ321

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:59 pm

In all honesty, it's hard to see how a new alliance can muster the strength unless some existing players are persuaded to depart.

QR, CZ, KC, HU, VS, B6, AS, AR, AD, HA are all noteworthy carriers "out in the cold".

Could BR be tempted? Could OZ, TG, MH, 9W, KU, or PR? A 4th Alliance could create instability in existing alliances where there is a lot of concentration of airlines within one region - but ultimately could it strengthen options for the traveller by opening up more competition? Or are we past the days of alliances and what we see ahead is airlines working their own partnerships and joint ventures?

What do we think QR will do?
Plane mad!

lightsaber

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:11 pm

NZ321 wrote:
In all honesty, it's hard to see how a new alliance can muster the strength unless some existing players are persuaded to depart.

QR, CZ, KC, HU, VS, B6, AS, AR, AD, HA are all noteworthy carriers "out in the cold".

Could BR be tempted? Could OZ, TG, MH, 9W, KU, or PR? A 4th Alliance could create instability in existing alliances where there is a lot of concentration of airlines within one region - but ultimately could it strengthen options for the traveller by opening up more competition? Or are we past the days of alliances and what we see ahead is airlines working their own partnerships and joint ventures?

How will they do better? Also, do not forget EK
EK: B6, AS, but B6 and HA cooperate.

Now that is just an example.

QR's issue is AA refuses to play nice with them.

As much as I'd like to see a 4th alliance, first holes in the existing alliance networks must be filled.

QR needs to also play nice with the partners.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

YouGeeElWhy

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:44 pm

NZ321 wrote:
A 4th Alliance could create instability in existing alliances where there is a lot of concentration of airlines within one region - but ultimately could it strengthen options for the traveller by opening up more competition? Or are we past the days of alliances and what we see ahead is airlines working their own partnerships and joint ventures?

Leaving OW would be a very bad move for QR. It would severely impact their premium demand from North America, the UK, and Spain. Plus with the "blockade" going on it would be silly-town to do anything else that disruptive.

cedars747 wrote:
Absolutely, the personal touch and the small details make the greatness of Qatar airways.
Agreed that QR is top notch in almost every way conceivable, but the only area that they have trouble is IIROPS, plus when things go wrong and you need customer support you are SOL with QR. AA/BA do a much better job at this or at least they do for me.

cedars747

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Agreed that QR is top notch in almost every way conceivable, but the only area that they have trouble is IIROPS, plus when things go wrong and you need customer support you are SOL with QR. AA/BA do a much better job at this or at least they do for me.
It's true but I referred to the service they offer. Qatar airways economy class could be equal to Iberia business class.

YouGeeElWhy

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:43 pm

cedars747 wrote:
It's true but I referred to the service they offer. Qatar airways economy class could be equal to Iberia business class.
Sure, QR is the best airliner in OW. I was just saying they are not perfect and some of the others do things better. It would be a big loss to Oneworld if they left.

cedars747

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:53 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
cedars747 wrote:
Sure, QR is the best airliner in OW. I was just saying they are not perfect and some of the others do things better. It would be a big loss to Oneworld if they left.

Qatar airways is far from perfection, especially with the political crisis in the Gulf area that surely has a big impact on its performance.

moa999

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:22 pm

And I do laugh given the treatment that Qatar hands out to oneworld members flying economy.

xwb777

Unofficial: Qatar Airways to leave One World Alliance

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:07 pm

According to Alex Macheras who is based in Qatar, Qatar Airways is expecting to announce its departure from One World Alliance, as the carrier is facing disrespectful behaviors from American Airlines and Qantas. A final decision is expected in a 2 months time.

Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/qatar-one ... 0283516778
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated per forum rules

Etheereal

Re: Qatar Airways to leave One World Alliance

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:31 pm

xwb777 wrote:
According to Alex Macheras who is based in Qatar, Qatar Airways is expecting to announce its departure from One World Alliance, as the carrier is facing disrespectful behaviors from American Airlines and Qantas. A final decision is expected in a 2 months time.

Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/qatar-one ... 0283516778

I see AA isnt only shafting their customers and employees, but partners as well.

B1168

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:38 pm

Then rip OW’s influence in the Middle East... hopefully not happening.

EmoticonsAllDay

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:38 pm

Will they be joining other alliances or operate standalone like EK? I don't think other alliances would accept QR due to their constant accusations against other airlines.

SQ789

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:44 pm

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:
Will they be joining other alliances or operate standalone like EK? I don't think other alliances would accept QR due to their constant accusations against other airlines.

That's right. Some other alliance won't accept QR because of accusations. So, they will be privatised only.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

MARSHAL1

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:49 pm

So QR is going to get Delta to help them with USA coverage? Maybe they'll even join Skyteam.

evanb

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:56 pm

Alliances are such a 1990s concept! Unless they're part of joint ventures they provide very little benefit at substantial costs for most airlines in the current environment.

J343

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:59 pm

MARSHAL1 wrote:
So QR is going to get Delta to help them with USA coverage? Maybe they'll even join Skyteam.

Delta!? LOL. The most vocal out of the US3. I don't see it happening.

aa1818

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:37 pm

I'm a little confused- QR buys up stakes in IAG and LATAM, begs to buy a stake in AA and is now threatening to leave an alliance they are mostly a part of in name only?
To me, QR has more to gain from oneworld than the other way around. They are seeking feed, personally I don't think that AA, BA etc are losing myuch if QR leave. Customers lose a convenient option, but, no big loss for the alliance.

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

scbriml

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:43 pm

The linked article says they may decide to remain in OW as well. So currently, much ado about nothing.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

JAAlbert

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:43 pm

Interesting that this news is only being reported in "The Points Guy" site.

So AA and Qantas are mean to Qatar, in what way? And it sounds like Qatar is mean to other airlines. What are the constant accusations Qatar lobs against other airlines?

Unless you're EK, I'd think being in an alliance would be pretty important.

res77W

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:44 pm

The Points Guy practically worships Alex Macheras and Qatar, so none of this surprises me. The bias is pretty clear.

-Rowen

evanb

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:53 pm

aa1818 wrote:
I'm a little confused- QR buys up stakes in IAG and LATAM, begs to buy a stake in AA and is now threatening to leave an alliance they are mostly a part of in name only?
To me, QR has more to gain from oneworld than the other way around. They are seeking feed, personally I don't think that AA, BA etc are losing myuch if QR leave. Customers lose a convenient option, but, no big loss for the alliance.

Why would it be a necessary condition for QR to be a member of OW to maintain equity positions in IAG and LATAM and to pursue commercial and other code sharing relationships with IAG and LATAM? The purpose of joining OW extended far beyond IAG and LATAM. It has certainly not resulted in particularly significant commercial ties with AA, JL, CX and QF.

J343

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:59 pm

res77W wrote:
The Points Guy practically worships Alex Macheras and Qatar, so none of this surprises me. The bias is pretty clear.

-Rowen

If QR does leave oneworld, it will be a tragic loss for The Points Guy- no more QSuite redemptions for him. Man, TPG really p!sses me off these days.

It will be a shame to lose QR though but I do hope earning Avios and TP will still be possible

chonetsao

Re: Unofficial: Qatar Airways to leave One World Alliance

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:59 pm

Qatar should leave oneworld. It is the first and only airlines disrespect oneworld frequent flyers by denying Sapphire and Emerald member lounge access to business or first. And the shameful Gold member or Platinum lounge is discrimination again one world frequent flyer members. Qatar will not be missed.

sonicruiser

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Wonder if UA will pull an AA and partner with both EY and QR.

This would be the ultimate form of revenge and a helluva chess masterstroke if UA can pull it off.

mercure1

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:44 pm

QR says the decision to leave OW or not due in next 2 months

Qatar Teases That It Could Leave Oneworld Within 2 Months

https://thepointsguy.com/news/qatar-one ... n-2-months
mercure f-wtcc

wenders825

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:50 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Wonder if UA will pull an AA and partner with both EY and QR.

This would be the ultimate form of revenge and a helluva chess masterstroke if UA can pull it off.

it really wouldn't. what does it add to UA's network? some low yielding connections to India?

ScrantonUSC

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:05 pm

Al Baker is the Trump of the aviation world. All talk, threats, and tantrums. Most of the business moves that Qatar has made have been simply foolish. His days of fooling people are wearing thin.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos