StudiodeKadent

Re: Unofficial: Qatar Airways to leave One World Alliance

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:09 pm

chonetsao wrote:
Qatar should leave oneworld. It is the first and only airlines disrespect oneworld frequent flyers by denying Sapphire and Emerald member lounge access to business or first. And the shameful Gold member or Platinum lounge is discrimination again one world frequent flyer members. Qatar will not be missed.

BA's Concorde Room is only for BA First flyers and the ultra-high-end top-tier beyond-Emerald frequent flyer status. Oneworld Emeralds outside of this need to use the Galleries First lounges.

AA only makes Flagship First dining available to only its own Flagship First customers, not to all OWE's.

So in other words, what Qatar does isn't that different from what BA and AA often do themselves.

Arion640

Re: Qatar Airways to leave One World Alliance

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:09 pm

J343 wrote:
res77W wrote:
The Points Guy practically worships Alex Macheras and Qatar, so none of this surprises me. The bias is pretty clear.

-Rowen

If QR does leave oneworld, it will be a tragic loss for The Points Guy- no more QSuite redemptions for him. Man, TPG really p!sses me off these days.

It will be a shame to lose QR though but I do hope earning Avios and TP will still be possible

I imagine you’ll still be able to redeem through BA even if Qatar quit Oneworld.
Great Britain: the worlds gateway to Europe.

phatfarmlines

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:17 pm

Etheereal wrote:
I see AA isnt only shafting their customers and employees, but partners as well.

AA was the last of the US3 to jump onboard against the ME3. QR trying to buy a piece of AA caused DP to change course very quickly.

sonicruiser

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:34 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
AA was the last of the US3 to jump onboard against the ME3. QR trying to buy a piece of AA caused DP to change course very quickly.

That is the dumbest argument against them. If anything this would've given AA legitimacy to have a reason for partnering with QR while getting money for it too. AA partnering with QR would've been just as good for AA as it was for QR. I can't think of any reason they wouldn't want to do it besides pissing off Delta but not like AA gives a fuck what DL thinks. Hopefully pissing off DL isn't why AA bailed because that would be a super weaksauce excuse on the part of AA if they don't even have that much self-respect to be turning away potential investors.

lowfareair

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:38 pm

aa1818 wrote:
I'm a little confused- QR buys up stakes in IAG and LATAM, begs to buy a stake in AA and is now threatening to leave an alliance they are mostly a part of in name only?
To me, QR has more to gain from oneworld than the other way around. They are seeking feed, personally I don't think that AA, BA etc are losing myuch if QR leave. Customers lose a convenient option, but, no big loss for the alliance.

AA1818

I think AAB's card to play here if he really wants to leave is to convince B6/AS to become partners with QR and use that to convince other investors in the QR investment airlines to form their own alliance. It would completely gut the existing oneworld alliance and have a new alliance starting with BA/IB/IG/QR/LA/CX/B6/AS and would likely grab AT as well. OW would be neutered with no real Europe/Africa/Mid East/India/South America presence. CZ could replace some of CX and East Asia/Australia/North America would still be fine, but everywhere else would be essentially gone.

raylee67

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:39 pm

QR, with its business model, does not really belong to any alliance. Its objective is to be the connector of everything, like Emirates. Since it wants to do everything, by definition, everyone is its competitor, and that leaves no room for partnership.

I don't think anyone in OW would miss QR. Their interaction with QR seems to be minimal, except for BA. But BA will choose AA over QR in a split second if need to, and QR knows it, so it won't force IAG to make such choice.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

ScrantonUSC

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:10 pm

lowfareair wrote:

I think AAB's card to play here if he really wants to leave is to convince B6/AS to become partners with QR and use that to convince other investors in the QR investment airlines to form their own alliance. It would completely gut the existing oneworld alliance and have a new alliance starting with BA/IB/IG/QR/LA/CX/B6/AS and would likely grab AT as well. OW would be neutered with no real Europe/Africa/Mid East/India/South America presence. CZ could replace some of CX and East Asia/Australia/North America would still be fine, but everywhere else would be essentially gone.

Is this serious?

EBiafore99

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:24 pm

evanb wrote:
Alliances are such a 1990s concept! Unless they're part of joint ventures they provide very little benefit at substantial costs for most airlines in the current environment.

Agree. The new model appears to be a group of airlines owning a bit of each other and forming a joint venture. DL is probably the best example with its recently announced AF/KL-DL-VS joint venture.

To me, the best "alliance" to this day was NW/KLM. It really did feel like you were flying one airline. Today's alliances work okay if everything is on time. But, if something goes wrong, it's always the other airline's fault and your left in the middle to figure it out.

lowfareair

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:26 pm

ScrantonUSC wrote:
lowfareair wrote:

Is this serious?

Serious in that I would call it QR's best option **if** they wanted to leave oneworld and spite AA/QF at the same time. Definitely not their best overall option, which is really the status quo except convince AA that working with them is not a bad thing, but AAB's ego may not allow the best option to be taken.

jumpjets

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:47 pm

Didnt AAB make threats to leave Oneworld back in Sept/October 2018 if his ultimatums weren't met - though I can't remember what the ultimatums were. So six months later presumably they haven't been met and the cage is rattled again and the threat given new publicity by giving an end date when the threat might be fulfilled.

WPvsMW

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Dogs bark, but the caravan moves on.
Before QR's struggles began, there was barking about OW not working for QR.
EY's "alliance" is a moneypit. OW is solid. QR as a clone of EK didn't work. Must be OW's fault.
Louder barking probably means "QR wants to codeshare again with AA. Why did you treat us like that bad dog next door".

ScrantonUSC

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:54 pm

lowfareair wrote:
ScrantonUSC wrote:
lowfareair wrote:

Is this serious?

Serious in that I would call it QR's best option **if** they wanted to leave oneworld and spite AA/QF at the same time. Definitely not their best overall option, which is really the status quo except convince AA that working with them is not a bad thing, but AAB's ego may not allow the best option to be taken.

I meant that there is no way in hell those airlines would ever leave One World or their partnership with American. And they’d be giving it for what? What does Qatar give the vast majority of flyers from Latam or BA? They are going give up their US connecting network for what in return? Just because Qatar owns 10%-20%?

9w748capt

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:13 pm

AAB sure is full of himself. DOH has to be a comparatively tiny market on a global scale. What are DOH's O&D numbers vs other world metros?

Without the allure of oneworld, the regular flyer will have no reason to choose QR over EK/EY/Chinese3 or any other airline. Tread carefully, QR. We've flown QR multiple times and even paid a small premium to do so - given the ability to earn AA miles or use status benefits (lounge access). Without that incentive, QR is just another player.

9w748capt

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:17 pm

J343 wrote:
res77W wrote:
The Points Guy practically worships Alex Macheras and Qatar, so none of this surprises me. The bias is pretty clear.

-Rowen

If QR does leave oneworld, it will be a tragic loss for The Points Guy- no more QSuite redemptions for him. Man, TPG really p!sses me off these days.

Oh yeah, TPG has really gone to $hit. I used to read his blog all the time when I got into the miles and points game, but he is nothing more than a paid shill these days. How about deleting a post criticizing Marriott after they offered him a limo ride? What a joke. Every now and then I read the AMA he did on reddit a few years ago just for a few laughs!

J343

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:02 pm

9w748capt wrote:
AAB sure is full of himself. DOH has to be a comparatively tiny market on a global scale. What are DOH's O&D numbers vs other world metros?

Without the allure of oneworld, the regular flyer will have no reason to choose QR over EK/EY/Chinese3 or any other airline. Tread carefully, QR. We've flown QR multiple times and even paid a small premium to do so - given the ability to earn AA miles or use status benefits (lounge access). Without that incentive, QR is just another player.

Exactly. I'm sure oneworld was doing just fine even before their entry. After all, its quality over quantity.

strfyr51

Re: Qatar Airways CEO threatens withdrawal from OneWorld Alliance

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:32 pm

sholmes wrote:
NZ321 wrote:
They could start a new alliance....

QR would just have to convince a few major airlines to leave their current alliance in favour of a new alliance that would be at QR’s mercy: not the easiest of tasks. Alternatively, QR could form a new alliance with IG and similar (insignificant) airlines.

Are You Kidding? If they leave the alliances? then who are they going to have to anchor the US leg of the Alliance? JBLU and F9?? YGBSM!!

lowfareair

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:47 am

ScrantonUSC wrote:
lowfareair wrote:
ScrantonUSC wrote:

Is this serious?

I meant that there is no way in hell those airlines would ever leave One World or their partnership with American. And they’d be giving it for what? What does Qatar give the vast majority of flyers from Latam or BA? They are going give up their US connecting network for what in return? Just because Qatar owns 10%-20%?

Hence why I mentioned the B6/AS tie-up. BA/IB would have connections through LAX/SFO/JFK/BOS/FLL, LA would get connections in FLL/LAX/JFK, CX would funnel pax through JFK/LAX/SFO/SEA/BOS. CX hasn't been close with AA in a while and the AA-CZ relationship isn't helping, so I could see them be the first to jump ship if the right opportunity came along.

Is it likely? Heck no. Could I see AAB working to get this done, potentially through further investments in the partner airlines? Judging by his Trump-like mannerisms, he seems willing to spend money just to spite someone he hates.

SQ789

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:28 am

If Qatar departs, I wonder who will then replace Qatar when the airline leave OW.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

NTLDaz

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:32 am

SQ789 wrote:
If Qatar departs, I wonder who will then replace Qatar when the airline leave OW.

Maybe nobody. OW were ok without Qatar in the past and will be ok again.

They've got Royal Jordanian in the ME. Granted not the scale of Qatar but still a presence.

stl07

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:50 am

In case nobody cares to notice, ROYAL JORDANIAN is a thing. Everyone keeps talking about how OW will lose its influence in the ME ect, ect, but they won't
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

stl07

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:54 am

B1168 wrote:
Then rip OW’s influence in the Middle East... hopefully not happening.

Again, Royal Jordanian
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

SQ789

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:10 pm

NTLDaz wrote:
SQ789 wrote:

Maybe nobody. OW were ok without Qatar in the past and will be ok again.

They've got Royal Jordanian in the ME. Granted not the scale of Qatar but still a presence.

Yup, no one except Royal Air Maroc which was due to join in 2020.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

3rdGen

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:12 pm

Maybe AAB is taking this all a bit too personally. If his bean counters can show that OW is increasing revenue why leave? Because AA and QA are not your bests friends?
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

J343

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Well CX and QF had a bitter relationship in the past and we didn't see either airlines making threats to leave. If QR wants out then whatever. Alan Joyce gave a very pragmatic response to it.

J343

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:10 pm

lowfareair wrote:
ScrantonUSC wrote:
lowfareair wrote:

Hence why I mentioned the B6/AS tie-up. BA/IB would have connections through LAX/SFO/JFK/BOS/FLL, LA would get connections in FLL/LAX/JFK, CX would funnel pax through JFK/LAX/SFO/SEA/BOS. CX hasn't been close with AA in a while and the AA-CZ relationship isn't helping, so I could see them be the first to jump ship if the right opportunity came along.

Is it likely? Heck no. Could I see AAB working to get this done, potentially through further investments in the partner airlines? Judging by his Trump-like mannerisms, he seems willing to spend money just to spite someone he hates.

I am very sure AA and CX has a very close relationship. They codeshare on almost every route to and from their respective US gateways. AA put its code on CX's HKG-IAD route and I am pretty sure CX also has its code on AA's own LAX/DFW-HKG route.

Also, CX MPC Silver gets access to AA lounges in JFK

usflyer msp

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 pm

stl07 wrote:
In case nobody cares to notice, ROYAL JORDANIAN is a thing. Everyone keeps talking about how OW will lose its influence in the ME ect, ect, but they won't

RJ is already more useful than QR in the MENA region as QR cannot fly to three of the most populated countries - Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates. AAB is really overplaying his hand here - no one cares about the local DOH traffic and no alliance partner is going to assist QR to the detriment of themselves like QR seems to be demanding.

WPvsMW

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:20 pm

QR will leave OW so that QR can invest in 9W??? :lol: :lol: EY might be inclined to sell.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos