TUSDawg23
Topic Author

WN PHX-Mexico a future possibility?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

It seems like there would be some opportunity for WN to fly to some Mexico beach destinations from PHX. At the very least, SJO and PVR I would think are doable. Any thoughts on why WN doesn't see an opportunity here to compete with AA on these routes?

86hoya

Re: WN PHX-Mexico a future possibility?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:40 pm

PHX terminal space for immigrations/customs are in Terminal 4, B gates. WN uses D and C gates. There probably are some inefficiencies for ground handling, but not sure of the economic impact.

LAX772LR

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:05 am

86hoya wrote:
PHX terminal space for immigrations/customs are in Terminal 4, B gates. WN uses D and C gates. There probably are some inefficiencies for ground handling, but not sure of the economic impact.

As shown at LAX, WN has no problem with towing in from another area, if it feels that int'l flights are worthwhile.

That said, much of PHX's Mexican traffic is VFR, and it already has plenty of beach service... so WN would have to weigh if providing redundancy in a market it's rather weak on (except for heavily US p.o.s. routings) is worth the hassle at this time.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

mtnwest1979

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Wow, when did SJO move countries?
Answer to your query: yes .
It is possible, and certainly only in the future and not past.
Likely? No
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:47 pm

Maybe the OP meant SJD?

Like to the OP did, we probably ought to separate Mexico VFR from beach markets. AA has a couple mainline flights a day at present to each SJD and PVR. There are no Mexican carriers on those routes, not for the day +/-2 days I checked. I don't know if the market could quickly grow 50%, or if WN might kill an AA frequency. It's all going to be U.S. point of sale.

sonicruiser

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:09 pm

I'd say a certainty, not a possibility.

jimbo737

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:45 pm

WN would do just fine on PHX - PVR, SJD and weekly ZIH.

Fares to Mexico from PHX are staggeringly high. SW could easily stimulate the market with its much lower cost structure and still make good money in these markets.

Scarebus34

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:48 pm

well for starters, SJO isn't in Mexico....

SteelChair

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:53 pm

What the yields be enough to justify it? Isn't Mexico a very low fare, low yield marketplace?

DarthLobster

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:08 pm

Why not? Gotta send those 500 new planes somewhere...

EA CO AS

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:08 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
WN would do just fine on PHX - PVR, SJD and weekly ZIH.

Fares to Mexico from PHX are staggeringly high. SW could easily stimulate the market with its much lower cost structure and still make good money in these markets.

AS offered PHXSJD and PHXPVR service in the mid 90s through the early 2000s. Their traffic was more flow from SEA/PDX than local O&D though, whereas WN would have a much greater chance at profitability with their much larger scale in the market.

Having said that, AA already offers service in these markets and appears to do only so-so at best, so having WN enter an already iffy market and then throw yield-crushing fares into the mix doesn't sound like a recipe for success.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

wnflyguy

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:28 pm

PHX has a huge drawl to Rocky Point (AKA mini Cabo) just 4 hours away by car. So many would rather drive Taking their boats and dirt bikes on a cheap Mexico beach vacation rather than flying to SJD or PVR.
AA has a good handle on the traffic to SJD and PVR from PHX. I personally think it's gonna be a struggle for WN to gain marketshare.
I can see possibly doing SATURDAY service to SJD on the slow season and 3 days PVR 4 Day SJD during peak season.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

BA744PHX

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Y4 will start twice weekly PHX-PVR this coming June16
UA Gold 2019, DL Silver 2019
Upcoming flights
UA EWR-EZE-EWR, EWR-YYZ-EWR, EWR-PHX-EWR, EWR-NRT-EWR
NH NRT-BKK-NRT
TG BKK-HKT-BKK

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos