• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 36
 
Chasensfo
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 am

Re: United Globe Livery "Evolution" coming in "April-ish"

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:15 am

Eurowingsa320 wrote:
Surprised they have not just used the swerved livery on the entire fleet or if they will

I'd almost bet money on that...
 
CBBW
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:29 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:07 am

I very much like the globe logo itself but hope they ditch the gold. I think it’s rather dated and doesn’t fit with the graphic elements they use elsewhere. I think a shades-of-blue application could work well and I’d like to see them incorporate some of the other colours they’re using in the recently released palette.
I’ll be interested to see what they come up with.
 
ual763
Posts: 955
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:16 am

I personally love the gold. Have always loved the color gold since I was a kid. Would hate to see it go, just like I am sad to see the yellow go on Lufthansa.
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
gaystudpilot
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:55 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:28 am

Of course employees are hearing lots of rumors. Key decisions and final designs are of course tightly under wraps. However, there are some themes across the multiple "leaks."

1. The globe will continue to be used. The globe stands for United being a leader amongst global airlines and therefore there is no interest in casting it aside. The globe will remain on the tail. The globe will be updated and "modernized." The gold and white will be dropped and the new globe will be in shades of blue to depict depth and dimension. This is consistent with the globe used in the Polaris cabin. [This would look pretty sharp.]

2. The Tulip will return in limited use. Somewhat similar to AA's bold tail and flight symbol but UA will use the globe as a "design element" -- e.g., tail, cabin, catering service ware, accent walls in terminal/lounges/gate areas -- and the Tulip will be used selectively as a logo -- e.g., next to the United name. [This one seems sketchy to me.]

3. Gold will be dropped.

4. Select colors from the new palette *may* be used, e.g., in the Tulip, the cheatline, etc, but more likely incorporated into things that can be easily switched out over time, e.g., menus in Polaris, cocktail napkins, advertising, etc -- i.e., not as expensive as a new livery.

5. The cheatline will be consistent across the fleet and consistent with the 787 and Max.

6. The objective is to move away from the half United half Continental branding and create a more unique United branding for the future without a comprehensive re-branding effort -- i.e., "our airline."

7. Most people prefer a tweak and modernization.

Again, the above is just a synthesis of current rumors. Time will tell.
 
afcjets
Posts: 2933
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:41 am

rising wrote:
Makes sense. The gold is not quite relevant.

The Blue-on-Blue like they use on the Polaris branding would look sharp on the tail. Modern and fresh. Bout time.


You mean like Eastern Airlines came out with around 1966? The article also mentions purple, which may have been what Eastern called Ionisphere Blue (or was that the other stripe?) Actually I think it looks great and would be an improvement and it’s pretty clear from the article that’s where this is going.
Last edited by afcjets on Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
afcjets
Posts: 2933
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:50 am

gaystudpilot wrote:

The Tulip will return in limited use. Somewhat similar to AA's bold tail and flight symbol but UA will use the globe as a "design element" -- e.g., tail, cabin, catering service ware, accent walls in terminal/lounges/gate areas -- and the Tulip will be used selectively as a logo -- e.g., next to the United name. [This one seems sketchy to me.]


If this is true, it might be used as the U in United so it doesn’t appear they have two logos. Also, I bet the tulip will be simplified like the eagle icon for American was. The tulip will only have two solid halves, no more bars within each side. Just my opinion.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9526
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:46 am

I loved the Tulip - but it shouldn't be brought back. It just muddies the brand and does nothing to unify the carrier. IMHO they should've done something new and fresh at the time but what's done is done. Either re-jigger the current livery or do something new and fresh.
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 3938
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: United Globe Livery "Evolution" coming in "April-ish"

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 am

emuwarveteran wrote:
sounds good, hopefully it'll look more interesting than the current one

the current Livery was good as United was already in transition from the Grey livery favored by the previous CEO Stephen Wolfe. The CO Livery even if Boring, Was Simple to apply and looked good for a Long time. But? It's now time to move on to an Updated Livery.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 17493
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:44 am

EA CO AS wrote:
I’ll be sad to see the globe change from the current look; I think it’s timeless and professional.


One man's 'timeless and professional' is another's 'old and boring'.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
UAL777UK
Posts: 2340
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:16 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:53 am

The globe is here to stay, its literally popping up everywhere and to ditch it would make no sense at all. UA are after all a global airline so if anything I can only see them "play" with that as we move forward but personally I would like to ditch the gold cheat lines as to me that is very yesteryear.
 
User avatar
Fly-K
Posts: 3010
Joined: Thu May 04, 2000 4:26 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:55 am

If United reintroduced the tulip as a secondary logo, it would be a bit like Turkish...
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...
 
Yonderlust
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:32 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:05 am

[photoid][/photoid]
ACCS300 wrote:
I fear 'evolution' will mean another decade of the horrid globe which is almost 30 years old. It's beyond 'dated' and tired at this point. Please at least change the crap 'last minute decision' font courtesy of Smisek.


Amen! That globe has always hocked me off. It's too dull and similar to Copa and AT&T. A contemporary tulip would be fantastic. Anything but that tilted globe that seems like it's fallen off its axis.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7900
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:39 am

Yonderlust wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
ACCS300 wrote:
I fear 'evolution' will mean another decade of the horrid globe which is almost 30 years old. It's beyond 'dated' and tired at this point. Please at least change the crap 'last minute decision' font courtesy of Smisek.


Amen! That globe has always hocked me off. It's too dull and similar to Copa and AT&T. A contemporary tulip would be fantastic. Anything but that tilted globe that seems like it's fallen off its axis.


Of course it is similar to Copa!

CM adopted CO's brand when Continental invested in Copa, using the exact same colour scheme but with the modernized/styalized globe. Notice that the font was the same as CO at the time, and changed to the current font at the same time that UA changed.

Not sure why CM continue to use the CO inspired livery but clearly they are satisfied with it.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
khinstorff
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:34 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I smell an Alaska-style refresh.


I agree, but I also think it’s the best of the recent brand refreshes to model after. Alaska did a pretty tasteful job of integrating green on the plane and throughtout other design elements, so United definitely follow in their footsteps.

I only have two concerns:

1) The blue on blue globe elements jump out at me and make me think of JetBlue. Can’t really explain why, but I wonder if anyone else thinks of B6.

2) I’d love to see United take a color other than blue and own it. A little variety would go a long way! Think of Spirit and yellow, or Virgin America and red. If they were to use a healthy amount of purple or their new ‘Pacific Blue’, for example, I think it’d go a long way in separating and elevating the United brand.
 
afcjets
Posts: 2933
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:19 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
I loved the Tulip - but it shouldn't be brought back. It just muddies the brand and does nothing to unify the carrier. IMHO they should've done something new and fresh at the time but what's done is done. Either re-jigger the current livery or do something new and fresh.


The globe to me seems more dated than the Tulip. A globe seems very 1970s and earlier. Back then every family had a globe in their house and every airplane movie involved a Trans Global Airlines 707.
 
afcjets
Posts: 2933
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:29 pm

Actually United could make the Tulip in the shape of a globe. That would be easy to photoshop and somewhat resemble the CO meatball. It would look even better if it used negative space of the Tulip on the globe, similar to how it was on the tail of UA’s Rising Blue.
 
Rbgso
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:15 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:41 pm

Note to self....buy some Sherwin Williams stock...
 
SUNCTRY738
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 3:39 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:09 pm

United787 wrote:
On a related note, the timing couldn't be more perfect. I always thought UA should wait for a new livery until they get their sheet together in order so that the new livery isn't tarnished by a crappy reputation. IMHO, UA is there:

1. The financials look great.
2. They are the leading US carrier in opening up new innovative international routes.
3. The are working at regaining domestic market share.
4. Their fleet is modernizing and expanding.
5. On-time performance is looking good, right?
6. Customer service seems to be much improved; very subjective...please don't get started.
7. They are introducing a new premium economy (but still keeping E+).
8. Polaris Lounges are amazing and being expanded after some setbacks.
9. Polaris.
10. They are winning in attracting the frequent business flyer (at AA's expense).
11. They are competing well in the Atlantic and Pacific markets against (supposedly superior) foreign carriers.
12. They have the best hubs: #1 in NYC; growing IAD; winning at ORD and getting a new terminal; come back at DEN and winning; holding their own at LAX and have a newly renovated terminal; and killing SFO. oh, and IAH also ;)
13. And they have the largest RJ fleet in the skies, YES;)

Winning, winning, winning, crap, I sound like Charlie Sheen ;)


I gotta ask about #13 especially----are you serious? How on earth is having the largest RJ fleet in today's market a plus? They have no 100-120 seat aircraft and they have no plans to add any. Big mistake in my opinion. No 717's, no Cannabus A220's, and no next generation Embraer.

Otherwise I.would agree they have improved on many fronts.
 
aviationjunky
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:24 pm

UA's Battleship livery and their Blue Tulip were always my favorite. I would have to JetKIWI. I'm sure they've already started laying the ground work to rebrand the airline with slight modification. Although, I personally think the globe looks a little flat..

*gasps* COULD UA BE PART OF THE "FLAT EARTHERS" MOVEMENT!?
LAS is Life
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9526
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:59 pm

afcjets wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
I loved the Tulip - but it shouldn't be brought back. It just muddies the brand and does nothing to unify the carrier. IMHO they should've done something new and fresh at the time but what's done is done. Either re-jigger the current livery or do something new and fresh.


The globe to me seems more dated than the Tulip. A globe seems very 1970s and earlier. Back then every family had a globe in their house and every airplane movie involved a Trans Global Airlines 707.


It might be more dated but it’s here. I would have preferred they did something with the tulip at the time of the merger vs using the globe but something new and fresh would have been better imo.
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
Coalways
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:39 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:05 pm

khinstorff wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
I smell an Alaska-style refresh.


I agree, but I also think it’s the best of the recent brand refreshes to model after. Alaska did a pretty tasteful job of integrating green on the plane and throughtout other design elements, so United definitely follow in their footsteps.

I only have two concerns:

1) The blue on blue globe elements jump out at me and make me think of JetBlue. Can’t really explain why, but I wonder if anyone else thinks of B6.

2) I’d love to see United take a color other than blue and own it. A little variety would go a long way! Think of Spirit and yellow, or Virgin America and red. If they were to use a healthy amount of purple or their new ‘Pacific Blue’, for example, I think it’d go a long way in separating and elevating the United brand.


Bingo I think a purple-ish blue globe that takes up the whole tale would look very nice and united would have a defined and unique color in the us skys
 
braniff2hav
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:16 pm

United launched -- yesterday 07Mar -- a new corporate travel focused website and initiative ... featuring the logo and brand items. This is the web-site. I doubt there are many changes to come to United's branding or livery. In fact this looks even MORE dated. The initiative showed business cards, pens, digital app, web-site and such all with this branding.

See https://www.united.business/
 
micstatic
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 10:07 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:24 pm

I like the images from the polaris cabin on pg 1 of this thread. That would be an improvement in my mind. My whole life I've considered gold to be a tacky and unattractive color. So if it goes things can only get better. At the same time I would like to hope purple doesn't appear. I really don't get the trend (Delta) to bring a color that really has nothing todo with the rest of your livery into use.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 382
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:26 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
United launched -- yesterday 07Mar -- a new corporate travel focused website and initiative ... featuring the logo and brand items. This is the web-site. I doubt there are many changes to come to United's branding or livery. In fact this looks even MORE dated. The initiative showed business cards, pens, digital app, web-site and such all with this branding.

See https://www.united.business/

Not sure what you are referring to, but there is really no new branding on that site at all.
 
Kno
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:37 pm

I just hope there is no wavy cheatline.
 
DayFreighter
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:34 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:38 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Yonderlust wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
ACCS300 wrote:
I fear 'evolution' will mean another decade of the horrid globe which is almost 30 years old. It's beyond 'dated' and tired at this point. Please at least change the crap 'last minute decision' font courtesy of Smisek.


Amen! That globe has always hocked me off. It's too dull and similar to Copa and AT&T. A contemporary tulip would be fantastic. Anything but that tilted globe that seems like it's fallen off its axis.


Of course it is similar to Copa!

CM adopted CO's brand when Continental invested in Copa, using the exact same colour scheme but with the modernized/styalized globe. Notice that the font was the same as CO at the time, and changed to the current font at the same time that UA changed.

Not sure why CM continue to use the CO inspired livery but clearly they are satisfied with it.


I was going to mention this; I wonder what effect (if any) this will have on Copa branding. But like you said, they seem satisfied with their current look.
 
User avatar
United787
Posts: 2868
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 12:20 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:44 pm

SUNCTRY738 wrote:
I gotta ask about #13 especially----are you serious? How on earth is having the largest RJ fleet in today's market a plus? They have no 100-120 seat aircraft and they have no plans to add any. Big mistake in my opinion. No 717's, no Cannabus A220's, and no next generation Embraer.


Glad you asked, it was a joke. A-Net's obsession with UA's quantity of RJs is reaching "why did Boeing discontinue the 757" level. I actually don't mind all the RJs: I like 2-2 seating and I like the non-stop markets from ORD that are only possible with the smaller jets but that it is a conversation for another thread...
 
User avatar
AA777223
Posts: 1073
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:12 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:56 pm

Yonderlust wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
ACCS300 wrote:
I fear 'evolution' will mean another decade of the horrid globe which is almost 30 years old. It's beyond 'dated' and tired at this point. Please at least change the crap 'last minute decision' font courtesy of Smisek.


Amen! That globe has always hocked me off. It's too dull and similar to Copa and AT&T. A contemporary tulip would be fantastic. Anything but that tilted globe that seems like it's fallen off its axis.

You mean, like the Earth???
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146
 
User avatar
LH748
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:44 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:00 pm

I'd love if they brought back a little hint of tulip even if it's just a small detail. The blue on blue looks better than the current livery so I'm getting a little excited
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW
 
Shroombraj
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:54 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:01 pm

Seems like a waste of resources. Their East Coast hubs are severely lacking when compared to AA/DL as far as modernization. IAD is still stuck in the times of the Orange/Blue/Red livery and it seems like EWR isnt much of an advancement either.

They have made many plans to redo D/C concourse at IAD and dropped them time and time again. Until they can have a consistent brand landside why change anything airside?
 
braniff2hav
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:
United launched -- yesterday 07Mar -- a new corporate travel focused website and initiative ... featuring the logo and brand items. This is the web-site. I doubt there are many changes to come to United's branding or livery. In fact this looks even MORE dated. The initiative showed business cards, pens, digital app, web-site and such all with this branding.

See https://www.united.business/

Not sure what you are referring to, but there is really no new branding on that site at all.




Exactly my point. Don't you feel that if United was re-branding they would have waited to introduce this new initiative with the new branding? Granted branding can change overnight in the digital world.
 
User avatar
Veigar
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:12 pm

At this point I just want a non-eurowhite. I don't even care if the livery is trash.
 
FSDan
Posts: 2620
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:17 pm

I imagine this...

gaystudpilot wrote:
6. The objective is to move away from the half United half Continental branding and create a more unique United branding for the future without a comprehensive re-branding effort -- i.e., "our airline."


...excludes this from actually happening...

gaystudpilot wrote:
2. The Tulip will return in limited use. Somewhat similar to AA's bold tail and flight symbol but UA will use the globe as a "design element" -- e.g., tail, cabin, catering service ware, accent walls in terminal/lounges/gate areas -- and the Tulip will be used selectively as a logo -- e.g., next to the United name. [This one seems sketchy to me.]
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
EWRandMDW
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:28 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:22 pm

I don't get the constant call for rebranding. AA's and DL's schemes leave a lot to be desired, at least by me. Some people hate UA's Continental-inspired Globe and wish to have the Tulip back. I think the Tulip looks childish! The globe at least shows UA's world-wide reach. Either tweak the existing scheme or use something that's both totally new that's classy and portrays UA's strength. Maybe some major upgrade of the 1960s' shield?
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:25 pm

Shroombraj wrote:
Seems like a waste of resources. Their East Coast hubs are severely lacking when compared to AA/DL as far as modernization. IAD is still stuck in the times of the Orange/Blue/Red livery and it seems like EWR isnt much of an advancement either.

They have made many plans to redo D/C concourse at IAD and dropped them time and time again. Until they can have a consistent brand landside why change anything airside?


Have you been through EWR recently?

Terminal C, to me, is the nicest hub terminal of any in NYC. Agree on IAD, but it's not like the East Coast has great hubs to write home about anywhere.
 
WhiskyZulu
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:16 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:27 pm

The Flight Global article has been updated to show an outline design being used in a competition for a one-off livery. Possible that the outline will apply to the new standard livery. Don’t know how to insert the image here.
 
jworks158
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:28 pm

gaystudpilot wrote:
Of course employees are hearing lots of rumors. Key decisions and final designs are of course tightly under wraps. However, there are some themes across the multiple "leaks."

1. The globe will continue to be used. The globe stands for United being a leader amongst global airlines and therefore there is no interest in casting it aside. The globe will remain on the tail. The globe will be updated and "modernized." The gold and white will be dropped and the new globe will be in shades of blue to depict depth and dimension. This is consistent with the globe used in the Polaris cabin. [This would look pretty sharp.]

3. Gold will be dropped.

4. Select colors from the new palette *may* be used, e.g., in the Tulip, the cheatline, etc, but more likely incorporated into things that can be easily switched out over time, e.g., menus in Polaris, cocktail napkins, advertising, etc -- i.e., not as expensive as a new livery.

6. The objective is to move away from the half United half Continental branding and create a more unique United branding for the future without a comprehensive re-branding effort -- i.e., "our airline."

7. Most people prefer a tweak and modernization.

.


These options seem like where United is going brand wise. Remember UA has been subtly rebranding for a few years,

Examples being:
1. The Polaris Cabin: The design elements and colors that go with it. The Crescent of the Globe.
2. The Unveiling of the Airlines new primary, and secondary color palletes: Notably lacking gold.
3. The Unveiling of the new unfiforms.

A flight global article written today includes quotes from Oscar(https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/united-plans-evolution-to-globe-livery-ceo-456444/?cmpid=SOC%7CTwitter%7CFlightglobal%7Csf209088742%7Csf209088742&sfid=701w0000000uP3H#sf209088742), but also points us too the Her Art Here contest submission guidelines (https://s3.amazonaws.com/unitedhub/Her-Art-Here_UAL-Brand-Guidelines.pdf)

The guidelines show the updated color palette of the airline, but also a 757 template. This template shows an enlarged bolded UNITED, there is also NO gold.

I expect the livery change to go along with the airlines other subtle rebranding efforts following the same general trajectory.
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
User avatar
CarbonFibre
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 pm

That link was posted yesterday.
 
questions
Posts: 2027
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:40 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
United launched -- yesterday 07Mar -- a new corporate travel focused website and initiative ... featuring the logo and brand items. This is the web-site. I doubt there are many changes to come to United's branding or livery. In fact this looks even MORE dated. The initiative showed business cards, pens, digital app, web-site and such all with this branding.

See https://www.united.business/


The takeaway from the above link is that the Continental blue and gold colors are going away!! On that site United has introduced a dark blue, light blue and lavender.

This is consistent with the “Core” colors presented here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/unitedhub/Her-Art-Here_UAL-Brand-Guidelines.pdf

It’s safe to say that gold is going away and that part of the “evolution” will be the removal/replacement of the gold cheat line and gold from the globe on the tail.

The livery will include “Core” colors. Uniforms, service items, marketing materials, etc will include “Core” colors plus “Extended” colors.

I think it would be great if United ditched the “globe in a box” logo (the square globe logo you see next to the United name and United programs) and replaced it with just the globe. It’s always looked awkward, like it was just pasted on.
 
blockski
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:31 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:
United launched -- yesterday 07Mar -- a new corporate travel focused website and initiative ... featuring the logo and brand items. This is the web-site. I doubt there are many changes to come to United's branding or livery. In fact this looks even MORE dated. The initiative showed business cards, pens, digital app, web-site and such all with this branding.

See https://www.united.business/

Not sure what you are referring to, but there is really no new branding on that site at all.




Exactly my point. Don't you feel that if United was re-branding they would have waited to introduce this new initiative with the new branding? Granted branding can change overnight in the digital world.


Well, there's nothing to suggest that United is considering 'rebranding' at all. They're clearly in the middle of evolving their brand image already, based on their public releases: Polaris, new colors, etc.

Now we have reports that they'll also update their livery in that same evolutionary way.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:33 pm

micstatic wrote:
At the same time I would like to hope purple doesn't appear. I really don't get the trend (Delta) to bring a color that really has nothing todo with the rest of your livery into use.

The problem is that competing companies always pay the same branding gurus for their advice, so they all work with the same trends. All department stores look the same because they paid the same guy to go out and do research and have focus groups, so they come to the same conclusions. In this case, some brand guru did a bunch of focus groups and decided that people like purple, because purple makes them think luxury. Conversely, orange is associated with cheap, which is why only LCCs use it. Ad agencies put brands together, but it all starts with these brand experts who dig into psychology to find competitive angles.

There was a pretty good episode of Frontline from about 15 years ago that talked about that. It was the same episode that talked about all of the goofy marketing crap that Delta did when they launched Song, so I think a fair degree of skepticism is warranted with these "experts". Most people didn't even realize Song was an airline until they changed strategies.
 
tpaewr
Posts: 701
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:34 pm

questions wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:
United launched -- yesterday 07Mar -- a new corporate travel focused website and initiative ... featuring the logo and brand items. This is the web-site. I doubt there are many changes to come to United's branding or livery. In fact this looks even MORE dated. The initiative showed business cards, pens, digital app, web-site and such all with this branding.

See https://www.united.business/


The takeaway from the above link is that the Continental blue and gold colors are going away!! On that site United has introduced a dark blue, light blue and lavender.

This is consistent with the “Core” colors presented here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/unitedhub/Her-Art-Here_UAL-Brand-Guidelines.pdf

It’s safe to say that gold is going away and that part of the “evolution” will be the removal/replacement of the gold cheat line and gold from the globe on the tail.

The livery will include “Core” colors. Uniforms, service items, marketing materials, etc will include “Core” colors plus “Extended” colors.

I think it would be great if United ditched the “globe in a box” logo (the square globe logo you see next to the United name and United programs) and replaced it with just the globe. It’s always looked awkward, like it was just pasted on.



I agree, it’s a safe bet that Gold is gone. I like the “core” colors. They are really not far off from the last interior CO had, grey/blue/lavender. The other ones (greens and purple) remind me a bit of a late 90s Taco Bell, but who am I?
 
S0Y
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:41 pm

My guess..........

Eurowhite with current titles
Gold dropped in favor of new palette
Tail modified like QF, LH, IB, EI, AK etc etc etc
 
gwrudolph
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:48 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
I’ll be sad to see the globe change from the current look; I think it’s timeless and professional.


I actually sorta got used to the existing paint scheme, and think it looks good! The only thing I think they should modify is to replace the gold with silver (cheat line, etc) as gold is a bit more dated.
 
gwrudolph
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:53 pm

EWRandMDW wrote:
I don't get the constant call for rebranding. AA's and DL's schemes leave a lot to be desired, at least by me. Some people hate UA's Continental-inspired Globe and wish to have the Tulip back. I think the Tulip looks childish! The globe at least shows UA's world-wide reach. Either tweak the existing scheme or use something that's both totally new that's classy and portrays UA's strength. Maybe some major upgrade of the 1960s' shield?


I have to agree that full rebranding is not necessarily a good thing. I would also agree that at the moment, I think UA's branding looks better than both DL and AA. I hope it isn't more than a minor tweek because their existing branding is pretty sharp looking relatively speaking
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1748
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:55 pm

I posted this in the other thread, but I wanted to point this out here too. I think we've already seen the "new" logo at the very least. The globe that is on the new united.com and the recent TV commercials is a redrawn globe:

Image
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
toxtethogrady
Posts: 1860
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2000 12:33 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Well, okay -- United is about to lose the last element of Continental Airlines that existed. They ditched the Houston headquarters and downsized the hub. So what's left for anyone in Houston to show loyalty to?
 
KLDC10
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:37 pm

toxtethogrady wrote:
Well, okay -- United is about to lose the last element of Continental Airlines that existed. They ditched the Houston headquarters and downsized the hub. So what's left for anyone in Houston to show loyalty to?


What are you talking about? Houston is United's second-largest hub.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300
 
toxtethogrady
Posts: 1860
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2000 12:33 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:39 pm

Ah, "second" is not first. All the loyalty is up in Chicago. (Of course, I remember when Houston was the big hub, but all anyone cared about was Newark).
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:42 pm

toxtethogrady wrote:
Well, okay -- United is about to lose the last element of Continental Airlines that existed. They ditched the Houston headquarters and downsized the hub. So what's left for anyone in Houston to show loyalty to?


Given that the globe as the basic brand icon is largely staying, how exactly are they losing the last element of Continental.

As the other posted said, IAH is the 2nd largest hub, and EWR also is continuing to be built up and is very much seen as their East Coast Int'l gateway, now getting the 78J.

The idea that UA is treating the CO half of their history poorly is just not correct in my mind.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 36

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos