NYPECO

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:10 pm

toxtethogrady wrote:
Well, okay -- United is about to lose the last element of Continental Airlines that existed. They ditched the Houston headquarters and downsized the hub. So what's left for anyone in Houston to show loyalty to?

As of right now, it looks like the globe is probably staying, and will only be modified a bit.

jworks158

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:15 pm

intotheair wrote:
I posted this in the other thread, but I wanted to point this out here too. I think we've already seen the "new" logo at the very least. The globe that is on the new united.com and the recent TV commercials is a redrawn globe:

I knew something was different, but wasn't sure what! I quite like the new globe, it is a lot more modern.
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

klakzky123

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:31 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
toxtethogrady wrote:
Well, okay -- United is about to lose the last element of Continental Airlines that existed. They ditched the Houston headquarters and downsized the hub. So what's left for anyone in Houston to show loyalty to?

Given that the globe as the basic brand icon is largely staying, how exactly are they losing the last element of Continental.

As the other posted said, IAH is the 2nd largest hub, and EWR also is continuing to be built up and is very much seen as their East Coast Int'l gateway, now getting the 78J.

The idea that UA is treating the CO half of their history poorly is just not correct in my mind.

Its no different than all the other mergers. Houston still has a sizeable UA corporate office in downtown Houston. While its nowhere near the size of the old CO corporate presence, the Houston office is still reasonably large. This is no different than Minneapolis (NW) or Phoenix (HP) which both lost their legacy branding and corporate headquarters. But like Houston, Minneapolis and Phoenix still have sizeable corporate offices.

AVENSAB727

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:38 pm

toxtethogrady wrote:

Guess all the recent investments that UA has made to the IAH hub, such as the rebanking, new routes-domestic and international, Terminal C North, and the that new Maintenance hangar for wide bodies count for nothing... :sarcastic: :sarcastic:
Always look on the bright side of Life!

codc10

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:53 pm

toxtethogrady wrote:

I dunno... for starters, maybe the airline that still has 500+ daily flights out of Houston? :lol:

N415XJ

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:53 pm

My prediction: It'll be the United Charter livery with an all white globe on the tail (no gold), no grey belly, and billboard United titles (minus the 'charter' titles of course). It looks different and 'fresh' enough to be described as an 'evolution' while at the same time ensuring that almost all of the existing branding can be kept. In fact, this livery would fit even better with the rest of the branding IMO.

I hope I'm wrong and they instead go with a more interesting clean-sheet design, but the pessimistic side of me thinks that this safe, inoffensive, and cost effective scheme is the most likely option.

N649DL

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:56 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
I'm not sure why people hate the globe. It has a professional look and that's what Continental was about. They were kind of the only legacy that had their act together in the late 90's and 2000's.

Not by the time they merged though. They already ditched free meals and you had to pay for DirecTV by 2010. CO's financials too were a bit, well, sketchy as they had a ton of debt to pay back for all the new planes they got in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

This is a long time coming, but the fact that there is no gold means this is going to be something significant. It probably will involve the "U" and the "Globe" as a combo, probably look like a volleyball. I do like the colors though, straight out of the 1980s.

codc10

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:05 pm

N415XJ wrote:
My prediction: It'll be the United Charter livery with an all white globe on the tail (no gold), no grey belly, and billboard United titles (minus the 'charter' titles of course). It looks different and 'fresh' enough to be described as an 'evolution' while at the same time ensuring that almost all of the existing branding can be kept. In fact, this livery would fit even better with the rest of the branding IMO.

I hope I'm wrong and they instead go with a more interesting clean-sheet design, but the pessimistic side of me thinks that this safe, inoffensive, and cost effective scheme is the most likely option.

That was a one-off livery after N194UA was leased for a period of time to Atlas Air, and never repainted into United colors. Instead, the Atlas logo was painted over and the "United Charter" titles applied. It's not any sort of United-branded design.

ual763

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:12 pm

toxtethogrady wrote:

Regarding the Houston HQ, they still maintain a large building in downtown Houston that basically acts as a 2nd HQ. They have literally thousands of employees there...
From flying to the NOTAM office

N415XJ

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:20 pm

codc10 wrote:
That was a one-off livery after N194UA was leased for a period of time to Atlas Air, and never repainted into United colors. Instead, the Atlas logo was painted over and the "United Charter" titles applied. It's not any sort of United-branded design.

Thanks, I didn't know it was just a painted-over Atlas scheme. I could still picture the upcoming 'evolution' of the scheme being something very similar though- white fuselages with colored tail swoops seem to be in vogue these days.

N776AU

Re: United Globe Livery "Evolution" coming in "April-ish"

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:31 pm

IAmGaroott wrote:
Praying they ditch eurowhite for blue and a return of the tulip with the globe pattern inside it.

Realistically, they’re probably just putting the swoopy 787 livery on everything.

Not my work, but:
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

maximairways

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:40 pm

N776AU wrote:
IAmGaroott wrote:
Praying they ditch eurowhite for blue and a return of the tulip with the globe pattern inside it.

Realistically, they’re probably just putting the swoopy 787 livery on everything.

Not my work, but:

The 80's called, they want that back.

N766UA

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:41 pm

Throw the tulip and “worldwide service” back on the nose. Wouldn’t distract from the core brand and could be a little nod to those who hate that they ditched the “U.”

Moosefire

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:05 pm

maximairways wrote:
N776AU wrote:
IAmGaroott wrote:

Not my work, but:

That hurt to look at.
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

Coalways

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:12 pm

I’m guessing the United name will be on the underbelly like Emirates?

HPRamper

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:28 pm

I'm hoping the globe is replaced with a flat earth to go along with all the chemtrails UA's planes are releasing onto the innocent populace every day.

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 pm

HPRamper wrote:
I'm hoping the globe is replaced with a flat earth to go along with all the chemtrails UA's planes are releasing onto the innocent populace every day.

You win this thread.
© 2019. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm

N415XJ wrote:

LH will sue.
© 2019. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:58 pm

Look at their newly relaunched app for clues: the color purple is quite prevalent. It's also the color of their new EP seat. I think we'll see purple being added to the tail colors with a refined design. Perhaps also added to the UNITED titles and "swoosh" line.

torin

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:08 pm

maximairways wrote:
N776AU wrote:
IAmGaroott wrote:

Not my work, but:

You must be mistaken, even the 80’s wouldn’t want that

RyanairGuru

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:16 pm

From a brand differentiation perspective I think it is important that they add purple to the livery somehow, such as the swooshy cheat line. If they can incorporate purple in their core brand then they would effectively 'own' the color whereas at the moment it looks like a 'me too' rip off Delta.

What's interesting is that both airlines almost simultaneously introduced purple, a color with no relevance at all to their brands at that point. Those focus groups must have shown that people really, really like purple!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

NYPECO

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 pm

N776AU wrote:
IAmGaroott wrote:

Not my work, but:

I think I've seen this one before. The tulip and the globe are two things that aren't going to mix well, slapping two logos on top of each other just doesn't work.

fightforlove

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:44 pm

If the guidelines for the women's art contest are an indicator, looks like bigger font U N I T E D on the fuselage with a tail design already picked out. Hope it's not another lame eurowhite w/ tail stripes me-too-ism a la Aer Lingus/Lufthansa.

SheddingVortex

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Perhaps the globe is modified with square dots, as in some of the Polaris serve and glassware. Indeed, introducing the “pixel” concept would allow its easy application in a multitude of colors— like a mosaic.

alberchico

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:51 am

This design has been supposedly leaked and is popping up on facebook:

short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

AVENSAB727

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 am

alberchico wrote:

Not a fan of the tail, looks like it has been photo shopped. Looks similar to AS's old livery.

jworks158

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:01 am

alberchico wrote:

While the colors match, the united font doesn't match the font in the template.
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

gabypn1992

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:07 am

alberchico wrote:

Nope. Not it. That was posted in 2012 on Modified Airliner Photos.

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairl ... d=00014940

Airlines0613

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:09 am

[photoid][/photoid]
jworks158 wrote:
alberchico wrote:

While the colors match, the united font doesn't match the font in the template.

Sounds like that design is a bunch of hot air. The font doesn’t match nor do the colors match to the color palette.

UALFAson

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:48 am

braniff2hav wrote:
United launched -- yesterday 07Mar -- a new corporate travel focused website and initiative ... featuring the logo and brand items. This is the web-site. I doubt there are many changes to come to United's branding or livery. In fact this looks even MORE dated. The initiative showed business cards, pens, digital app, web-site and such all with this branding.

See https://www.united.business/

I think this could be a preview of the overall brand refresh the company is alluding to. If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of that home page, you could see what the new color scheme might look like: kind of a royal-ish blue background offset with some navy boxes. All the text and the logo is white with some light blue icons and purple buttons/boxes. The globe in the logo at the top is updated/refreshed as well, as someone else on this thread pointed out. There is no gold or yellow anywhere.

I actually quite like this and find it very modern and clean. The typeface appears to be Arial or some variation thereof, and I think the varying shades of dark blue offset with light blue, white, and a touch of purple, is a HUGE improvement from the dated look of so much of their media now.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:49 am

Yeah, why advertise your new livery with a 73NG?

a320fan

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:56 am

I was sceptical of that leak when I first saw it on Facebook. Why create a new livery that looks more dated and armature than your current one.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300

TWA772LR

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:02 am

alberchico wrote:

Please, God, no!

Although I foresee something similar to the color pallette for the tail, kina like the aurora borealis with some stars (Polaris branding) over Earth (the globe).
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

PVDBOSflyer

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:03 am

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but the current livery looks best on the E145. The express titles really fill the space nicely. Hopefully this evolution will look equally as good on the little guys.

strfyr51

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:08 am

I've seen a photo of the new livery proposal. It's not too shabby at all. The globe is still on the tail.

AVENSAB727

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:20 am

strfyr51 wrote:
I've seen a photo of the new livery proposal. It's not too shabby at all. The globe is still on the tail.

Give us a clue on what it looks like!!

Nicknuzzii

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:27 am

I think we could see a globe with this design, but obviously not the same colors.

https://www.google.com/search?q=united+ ... q0a_RgA49M

strfyr51

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:27 am

GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

LH will sue.

Y
That Paint job was a Lease return. We never repainted the airplane before we sold it.

LHUSA

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:28 am

strfyr51 wrote:

Do tell! Can you describe it?

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:30 am

strfyr51

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:30 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

Give us a clue on what it looks like!!

Looks pretty much like the picture in a previous post. It's a good compromise of the two factions. We've rocked the globe all this time, I see no reason to move away from it

FlyboyOz

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:31 am

alberchico wrote:

Hmmm... that's very interesting to see that "U" that look upside down.

Can't wait to see that United's new livery and am looking forwards to flying with it one day.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

N649DL

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:54 am

gaystudpilot wrote:
Of course employees are hearing lots of rumors. Key decisions and final designs are of course tightly under wraps. However, there are some themes across the multiple "leaks."

1. The globe will continue to be used. The globe stands for United being a leader amongst global airlines and therefore there is no interest in casting it aside. The globe will remain on the tail. The globe will be updated and "modernized." The gold and white will be dropped and the new globe will be in shades of blue to depict depth and dimension. This is consistent with the globe used in the Polaris cabin. [This would look pretty sharp.]

2. The Tulip will return in limited use. Somewhat similar to AA's bold tail and flight symbol but UA will use the globe as a "design element" -- e.g., tail, cabin, catering service ware, accent walls in terminal/lounges/gate areas -- and the Tulip will be used selectively as a logo -- e.g., next to the United name. [This one seems sketchy to me.]

3. Gold will be dropped.

4. Select colors from the new palette *may* be used, e.g., in the Tulip, the cheatline, etc, but more likely incorporated into things that can be easily switched out over time, e.g., menus in Polaris, cocktail napkins, advertising, etc -- i.e., not as expensive as a new livery.

5. The cheatline will be consistent across the fleet and consistent with the 787 and Max.

6. The objective is to move away from the half United half Continental branding and create a more unique United branding for the future without a comprehensive re-branding effort -- i.e., "our airline."

7. Most people prefer a tweak and modernization.

Again, the above is just a synthesis of current rumors. Time will tell.

Referring to your points:

1. Fine by me but it needed updating years ago. People call it the "Disco Ball" for a reason.

2. This, should have been considered since the beginning of the merger but Smisek was way too arrogant to do so. AA/US and DL/NW both did this on the tail to represent the carrier that doesn't exist anymore. Yet many viewed not keeping the "U" was some sort of a hostile corporate takeover by CO (in some ways it was.)

3. Makes sense as it's not evident anywhere in the new uniforms.

4. Also makes sense as a "secret logo" and Polaris already has it's own logo as well.

5. OK cool.

6. Yeah, that's like common sense at this point. "Merger of Equals" was a stupid strategy and didn't work out. They got more serious about this after the PR disasters back in 2017.

7. I'd say if the above happens it's more than just a tweak and many are ready for it.

CriticalPoint

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:46 am

toxtethogrady wrote:

I don’t know......how about just being loyal to United the largest airline in Houston?

N776AU

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:54 am

alberchico wrote:

Fake news. This was uploaded to the Modified Airliners site back in 2012.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

IAmGaroott

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:05 am

GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:

Maybe to replace the battleship gray livery. This just screams early 2000s to me. Would have looked nice next to Delta’s wavey gravy livery!

PlanesNTrains

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:16 am

alberchico wrote:

Maybe it’s Maybelline
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

ual763

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:02 am

Why not bring back the “Meatball”?
From flying to the NOTAM office

antoniemey

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:28 am

ual763 wrote:

Because no one associated with the CO side of the company that experienced the Lorenzo days ever wants to see that logo again.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:04 am

ual763 wrote:

Why not move forward and not backwards? I’d think the last thing this airline needs is reopening old wounds.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos