Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

javier787

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:10 am

I attempted some more, this time using more of the colors from the palette, and taking into account that the livery will be an update or minor tweak. This came from the template which was mentioned/discussed earlier.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:14 am

Stop! Looks too much like the US Air circus. And we all know about the circus clowns co brought to United.

CDGIAD

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:04 am

javier787 wrote:
I attempted some more, this time using more of the colors from the palette, and taking into account that the livery will be an update or minor tweak. This came from the template which was mentioned/discussed earlier.

Really nice once again!
Could you try and change design n°2 with the belly the same blue as the tail and the light blue and purple lines above straight to the nose ?
The curvy line at the the front, especially with light blue might look too much like jetBlue.

khinstorff

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:18 am

javier787 wrote:

Wow, nice job again. This is my favorite option you’ve done so far.

Swap in the billboard titles from your first round design and I think I could live with that. Although, I wonder what all that white would look like in silver!

intotheair

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:42 am

javier787 wrote:

Very nice work! My money's on it looking most like this one. I think it'll look like this but with the letters spaced not so far apart, no stars on the tail, and no negative space globe on the engines. It also wouldn't surprise me if they went for that lavender "Dusk" color on the belly instead of a grey.

CALTECH

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:41 pm

tpaewr wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Continental767 wrote:

+1 to this.

United still had planes in the Battleship livery when they merged with CO. Introducing a fully new livery would result in three different liveries of varying names and logos flying around. It would take a good amount of time to paint 1400 aircraft, so what they did made total sense. They took a livery that was recognized and respected, plus was already on half the fleet.

On the topic of a refreshed livery, I agree that purple will likely be part of it. I can see a tail with the "globe edge" shown above as a pattern in a dark purple with blue behind, and maybe a white globe on top? Just a quick thought, but I think it'd be nice. Something along those lines. No way they are getting rid of the globe now; many people are just now associating it with United and not Continental.

No that clearly wasn't the messaging. "Jailbird Jeff Smisek" wanted to keep the livery out of sheer ego and stubbornness. Remember the comment "Well I'd like to keep the logo because I made it!" comment? Which, of course he probably didn't but he was an absolute egotist and many of the decisions he made still haunt the airline today. Mainly because they bet the farm on his decisions and lost to DL in the long run. UAL had 60% of it's mainline fleet at the time painted and on larger planes. It essentially was a wash, but it was done out of ego alone and nothing else.

I was actually really upset after merger that they went with a livery that was almost 25 years old at the time. UAL's "Rising Blue" scheme was absolutely beautiful compared to any of the other major carriers at the time and even looks great now. CO's scheme was good for CO (already post date by 2010, IMHO) but was ridiculous as a monumental merger between the two airlines.

Say what people will about the battleship schemie too, it looked terrible when chipped but amazing when it was clean. And don't kid yourself, CO's paint had some examples of chipping by 2010 as well on the tail and logo.

Nowadays I'm OK with them moving on with the globe as long as it's a *TRANSFORMATIVE* different example and not just a color change from the CO logo. This is a long time coming, and it's not shocking to see this airline with it's "Chicago Style" cronyism drag it's feet to make decisions very slowly.

I respect all of your opinion on this. But I have to take issue with this statement.

“And don't kid yourself, CO's paint had some examples of chipping by 2010 as well on the tail and logo.”

CO kept its fleet perfect inside and out before the merger. None of the chipping outside or faded worn cabins we see now.

If there a single chipped CO livery pic out there, there is a thousand battleship grays for it.

CO actually had a toll free hotline number for any employee to call in from the aircrafts in seat phones if they saw an issue. Can you imagine how many thousands of phone call such a program would generate today??

His post is very misinformed. Tired old false argument. We were appalled at the sight of many subUAL aircraft. Oh, they maintained them safely, but they looked like crap. He will not post a picture of a bad subCAL livery, because there really weren't any. On the other hand.....

Volaris320

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:36 pm

I'm happy that United is finally updating its livery after nearly nine years of continuing the 1991 Continental livery but with the United name. I initially thought they were also going to introduce a new logo from scratch, like American and Southwest did respectively in 2013 and 2014. The Continental globe needs to go, IMO. And United ought to introduce a more modern tulip logo for instance.

However, I liked those concept liveries; perhaps try doing the same thing but with the tulip instead of the globe.

N649DL

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:32 pm

CALTECH wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
N649DL wrote:

No that clearly wasn't the messaging. "Jailbird Jeff Smisek" wanted to keep the livery out of sheer ego and stubbornness. Remember the comment "Well I'd like to keep the logo because I made it!" comment? Which, of course he probably didn't but he was an absolute egotist and many of the decisions he made still haunt the airline today. Mainly because they bet the farm on his decisions and lost to DL in the long run. UAL had 60% of it's mainline fleet at the time painted and on larger planes. It essentially was a wash, but it was done out of ego alone and nothing else.

I was actually really upset after merger that they went with a livery that was almost 25 years old at the time. UAL's "Rising Blue" scheme was absolutely beautiful compared to any of the other major carriers at the time and even looks great now. CO's scheme was good for CO (already post date by 2010, IMHO) but was ridiculous as a monumental merger between the two airlines.

Say what people will about the battleship schemie too, it looked terrible when chipped but amazing when it was clean. And don't kid yourself, CO's paint had some examples of chipping by 2010 as well on the tail and logo.

Nowadays I'm OK with them moving on with the globe as long as it's a *TRANSFORMATIVE* different example and not just a color change from the CO logo. This is a long time coming, and it's not shocking to see this airline with it's "Chicago Style" cronyism drag it's feet to make decisions very slowly.

I respect all of your opinion on this. But I have to take issue with this statement.

“And don't kid yourself, CO's paint had some examples of chipping by 2010 as well on the tail and logo.”

CO kept its fleet perfect inside and out before the merger. None of the chipping outside or faded worn cabins we see now.

If there a single chipped CO livery pic out there, there is a thousand battleship grays for it.

CO actually had a toll free hotline number for any employee to call in from the aircrafts in seat phones if they saw an issue. Can you imagine how many thousands of phone call such a program would generate today??

His post is very misinformed. Tired old false argument. We were appalled at the sight of many subUAL aircraft. Oh, they maintained them safely, but they looked like crap. He will not post a picture of a bad subCAL livery, because there really weren't any. On the other hand.....

Those are like TWO horrible examples and not consistent at all with the entire fleet. What about the "Rising Blue" scheme that looked great? What about the "Battleship" livery that wasn't chipped and held up around 2010-2011 around the merger?

Talk about being appalled: I wonder how much you take into the fact about how many were actually appalled after CO's management team were deemed to run the merger and did a terrible job of it and led to the CEO getting fired and narrowly avoiding wearing an orange jumpsuit?

NYPECO

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Volaris320 wrote:
I'm happy that United is finally updating its livery after nearly nine years of continuing the 1991 Continental livery but with the United name. I initially thought they were also going to introduce a new logo from scratch, like American and Southwest did respectively in 2013 and 2014. The Continental globe needs to go, IMO. And United ought to introduce a more modern tulip logo for instance.

However, I liked those concept liveries; perhaps try doing the same thing but with the tulip instead of the globe.

I think the globe represents United more than the tulip, since they're a global airline with an expanding international network. That's why the globe is being added to new Polaris cabins and other branding. What is a tulip supposed to represent?

4engines4lnghll

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 pm

Who knows, maybe there won't be any greens or purples at all. It could be just a uniform and seat image, like DL and the purple they use on their uniforms.

Volaris320

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:45 am

NYPECO wrote:
Volaris320 wrote:

I think the globe represents United more than the tulip, since they're a global airline with an expanding international network. That's why the globe is being added to new Polaris cabins and other branding. What is a tulip supposed to represent?

Prior to the meeting, the tulip logo was more well known worldwide as was the United name. Continental had a better reputation however.

Even to this day, the current UA livery screams Continental and it still dawns on me why Smisek and Tilton couldn't have just come up with a new logo and livery from scratch like American and Southwest did.

Either way, I think this new livery should be better than the current one, and hopefully the globe would be updated.

moa999

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:10 am

Or a purple splotch, like LHs tiny yellow square.
Or an accent like QFs silver stripe

DL717

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:16 am

NYPECO wrote:
Volaris320 wrote:

The globe represents Continental. Bring back the orange!

CLEguy

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:22 am

NYPECO wrote:
Volaris320 wrote:

It’s not a “tulip;” it’s a stylized U!

sunking737

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:02 am

Of all the folks at UAL, and all the folks here on Airliners, No one has leaked what we should see next month??

intotheair

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:09 am

sunking737 wrote:
Of all the folks at UAL, and all the folks here on Airliners, No one has leaked what we should see next month??

Nope. The only thing we have so far are the guidelines for the Her Art Here livery contest, which show a color palette and billboard titles.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/unitedhub/Her- ... elines.pdf

I think it's a good indication of what to expect, but we still don't know what the finished fleetwide design will be.

kaitakfan

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:18 am

CLEguy wrote:
NYPECO wrote:
Volaris320 wrote:

It’s not a stylized U, it’s a stylized Shield that played into a Stylized U. Clear as mud?

khinstorff

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:36 am

It would be funny if they threw it back to something like this, if anything just to tick AA off!

https://goo.gl/images/uo2wVt

simking

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:47 am

I always liked the old rainbow orange livery of the 80's maybe my repaint talent for FSX aircraft will pay off lol

CLEguy

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:21 pm

kaitakfan wrote:
CLEguy wrote:
NYPECO wrote:

It’s not a stylized U, it’s a stylized Shield that played into a Stylized U. Clear as mud?

I suppose you could be right, but I always thought it was a U: https://thegate.boardingarea.com/rememb ... -designer/

codc10

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm

CLEguy wrote:
kaitakfan wrote:
CLEguy wrote:

I suppose you could be right, but I always thought it was a U: https://thegate.boardingarea.com/rememb ... -designer/

Historically, United’s logo was a shield. Saul Bass stylized it into the “U” shape with the logo that came to be known as the “Tulip”. But it started with a shield.

lostsound

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Just preparing y'all for the inevitable:

gregn21

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 pm

lostsound wrote:

Well this would be a total disaster

EA CO AS

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:34 pm

gregn21 wrote:
lostsound wrote:

Well this would be a total disaster

How? I like it.

CDGIAD

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:52 pm

lostsound wrote:

Move the title a bit forward and put blue on the engines and it wouldn't be bad at all !

DENflyer10

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:58 pm

I really hope United extends the paint job of the tail fin down through the body of the plane. It really makes a difference and exaggerates the size of the tail in a good way. I could live with this look except I would like a pearl white body rather than a clean solid white.

TWA772LR

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:07 pm

lostsound wrote:

I'm actually ok with this. I'd like to see what it'd look like with the globe facing the other way, if you don't mind.

fun2fly

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:07 pm

So, I'm in Aspen on Tuesday (I got out!!) and behind the check in desk is a purple hued oversize globe on what looks to be brand new signage. Could it be this visible already? If anyone can IM me how to post the pic, I can do so. I couldn't figure it out (sad, I know). I think it would look sharp on a plane.

javier787

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:29 pm

fun2fly wrote:
So, I'm in Aspen on Tuesday (I got out!!) and behind the check in desk is a purple hued oversize globe on what looks to be brand new signage. Could it be this visible already? If anyone can IM me how to post the pic, I can do so. I couldn't figure it out (sad, I know). I think it would look sharp on a plane.

Copy the full image address (includes jpg or png) paste it in the text box, highlight the address and then select the insert image button, and you should be good to go

afcjets

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:59 pm

EChid wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Any chance of a full on blue livery that covers the entire aircraft and fully ditch the Euro White colors (EG: "Battleship Gray 90s scheme") or would that be way too expensive to maintain?

I'd say close to zero. UA has done dark colours already and it looks shabby after a few years.

One of my favorite all time color schemes was TranStar. It was solid purple but looked teal blue in certain lighting. They always looked great so it's either purple holds up better or they went out of business too soon. Here it is...

https://www.airliners.net/photo/TranSta ... YwTw%3D%3D

codc10

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:06 pm

fun2fly wrote:

Upload to a hosting site like imgur and then embed the link.

VC10er

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:40 pm

All I know for sure is: whatever they do it will be bashed far more than it will be praised on a.net!

I admit I’m frightened, even though I’m not a fan of the globe (personal opinion) but United has absolutely embraced the globe in some form for many years now. I doubt they will do something that would render everything globe-like that exists today in permanent fixtures obsolete and would need replacing worldwide. It would cost an untold FORTUNE and take MANY years to undo

khinstorff

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:57 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
lostsound wrote:

I'm actually ok with this. I'd like to see what it'd look like with the globe facing the other way, if you don't mind.

Wouldn't complain if the body was silver with a 'Dusk'/'Pacific Blue' design on the engines either.

Kno

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:02 pm

lostsound wrote:

On one hand I like it.

On the other hand this exact livery is already on a number of airlines in 2019.

Volaris320

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:57 pm

Is that the new livery or will it be something else?

micstatic

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:19 pm

I like this livery I think. But would like to see blue on the engines

VC10er

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 pm

Kno wrote:
lostsound wrote:

On one hand I like it.

On the other hand this exact livery is already on a number of airlines in 2019.

Was it confirmed or not that a couple of the NEW colors would be used in the livery?

Max Q

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:53 pm

I like it as well, quite bold extending the blue with the globe all the way to the bottom of the fuselage

Dislike the massive lettering though, that has always looked bad
on any airline

BigPlaneGuy13

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:19 pm

I think it's safe to say that UA's marketing department won't make the mistake of backtracking several years-worth of brand identity associated with the globe. From a marketing standpoint, bringing back the tulip would signal a step backward. Definitely not how they want to spin it.

I'd personally love to see the swoopy designs of the MAX and 787 incorporated into the new design - perhaps replace the gold line with a purple one and extend the tail down the back as illustrated above. I personally loath their logo font. Too straight and capital - needs to be more relaxed like AA and WN in my opinion. The lettering from the flier that we've seen looks awkward over the windows - imagine it on an A319. Yuck.

WALmsp

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:44 pm

lostsound wrote:

I'd like the titles to be BELOW the windows rather than having that dotted line running through

N649DL

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:06 am

afcjets wrote:
EChid wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Any chance of a full on blue livery that covers the entire aircraft and fully ditch the Euro White colors (EG: "Battleship Gray 90s scheme") or would that be way too expensive to maintain?

I'd say close to zero. UA has done dark colours already and it looks shabby after a few years.

One of my favorite all time color schemes was TranStar. It was solid purple but looked teal blue in certain lighting. They always looked great so it's either purple holds up better or they went out of business too soon. Here it is...

https://www.airliners.net/photo/TranSta ... YwTw%3D%3D

That does look good. UAL had a leaked UA/US merger scheme back in 2000 where most of the plane was covered in that "Rising Blue" scheme but like the "Battleship" livery. Looked great.

questions

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:33 am

fun2fly wrote:

Hurry! We’re dying to see it!

crj900lr

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:23 am

WALmsp wrote:
lostsound wrote:

I'd like the titles to be BELOW the windows rather than having that dotted line running through

Its not bad but the engine cowlings need to be blue, you could probably put the name right above the window line and get away with it looking decent.

jetblastdubai

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 am

lostsound wrote:

I've been looking at a boatload of logo/paint variations here on a-net the past few months and I consider most to be pretty good while a few others weren't something I'd ever pick if given the chance. None of them really had the "wow" factor I am expecting from the creative folks at United. However.....the tail on this image visually jumped right off the screen when I first saw it and is something I'd really be happy with if it were similar to the final product. Clean, sharp, bold and makes a nice use of the existing globe.

The tower controller in me loves the use of a lot of white on the tail for easier identification on the ground at night.

adambrau

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:02 am

lostsound wrote:

Love it! Better than what we have now. Will the final livery evolution be different - likely. But this is a step up IMHO - nice work!

Adam

KVH68

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:22 am

lostsound wrote:

This looks great!
I use to hate the globe, but I guess what I really hated was the gold.

N415XJ

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:39 am

fun2fly wrote:

Here's how to post a pic (you don't need an imgur account to do this):

1) Go to imgur.com

2) Drag your picture right onto the front page

3) wait for it to upload

4) right-click on the image and select 'copy image address' to copy the url

5) on a.net, go to the full reply window and press the little picture button on top of the editor (9th button form the left). It will output img and /img (both in brackets)

6) paste your url between these two. It should look like this for example: [img]https://i.imgur.com/#######.png[/img]

7) submit the post and the pic should be embedded into it.

Max Q

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:09 am

KVH68 wrote:
lostsound wrote:

This looks great!
I use to hate the globe, but I guess what I really hated was the gold.

The other thing this design does is to magnify the perceived size of the vertical stabilizer on the 777, which like many modern airliners looks far too small and out of proportion to the rest of the aircraft

strfyr51

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:17 am

questions wrote:
N649DL wrote:
"Jailbird Jeff Smisek"... many of the decisions he made still haunt the airline today. Mainly because they bet the farm on his decisions and lost to DL in the long run.

What are some examples of his decisions that are still haunting UA today? Just curious. Thanks.

One of them was t ditch our computer program and go with CO's program which was Lousy, And to get rid of our reservation system as well.

AaronPGH

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:29 am

lostsound wrote:

Super clean start here. Honestly. I could see the tail featuring more of a purple blue gradient, plus maybe combining with the swoosh on the 787s (minus gold). But that's actually really nice.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos