VC10er

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:17 am

questions wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Aside from the tail, whom ever has been working with the Globe has done a great job using something which was fundamentally flawed as a “symbol”- it may have looked very new in 1991 on the tail, but when it’s in a box- I hate it.

I agree. The globe in a box looks awful, like a cheap afterthought slapped on! I know there are naysayers, but I believe some good creative types could create a partial globe (without using the box) that would would not look like an lemon wedge. By using color to create dimension and depth a partial globe could appear to the eye as a partially visible sphere, similar to a less than full moon.

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! It’s true the globe is more of a decorative element than a true “symbol” in a classic sense. I don’t know if it was an “afterthought” - it could just look that way. But I agree that there’s a very good chance that everyone thought it looked great on the tail. And Continental really did need a FULL brand overhaul given how truly horrible their reputation was before- they had nothing to lose and everything to gain by creating a bold brand new image to work in lock step with the major and successful change from “worst to first”. Put the right designer on it, and they would have been able to develop a symbol that was better than the globe in a box! In fact they didn’t even need to use the globe as-is inside a box.
Not a great example of design: but today AA has a decorative tail but a different symbol as their logo (a logo I dislike the new AA armpit sniffing eagle symbol.
Etihad has a gorgeous decorative tail but didn’t attempt to put the gold facets in a box.
There are many ways to skin a cat when it comes to design. I can easily envision a globe inspired symbol without the box but still function in one color. Something with the statue a symbol should have.
The people at Landor SF were able to do a one color version of the “bp” green-sun identity- an identity that Created powerful consumer preference. Post launch, research a year showed drivers were willing to drive up to 10 additional miles to go to bp over other stations to refuel!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

antoniemey

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:10 am

Technically Continental got the branding change to the globe and blue/grey/gold color combination before their turnaround. Livery debuted in '91. turnaround was end of 94 and 95.Bethune just didn't go the ego route of plastering his own look on the carrier after he and Brenneman fixed things.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

vanguard737

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:28 pm

VC10er wrote:
vanguard737 wrote:
NYPECO wrote:

I think the globe represents United more than the tulip, since they're a global airline with an expanding international network. That's why the globe is being added to new Polaris cabins and other branding. What is a tulip supposed to represent?

The "tulip" design is not actually a tulip. That is just a nickname that it has been given based off of its slight resemblance to the flower. The logo is actually two capital letter "U"s - each being half red, half blue - interlocked...aka united. It is an iconic logo designed by Saul Bass, one of the great logo designers of the 20th century, famous for many other well-know logos, too. It had global recognition as the essence of the United brand and it absolutely should have been kept instead of the generic globe logo created by an advertising agency for Continental in 1991.

I am 100% with you about the “tulip”- I loved it too, it was an example of great symbol design- and it is extremely difficult to find great “symbol designers” today. Folks like Saul Bass, Paul Rand, Walter Landor and Chermayoff & Geismar (PanAm Globe) actually enjoyed “some” celebrity status at one time. Perhaps not household names, but in business they were seen as semi-Gods of design. Steve Jobs went directly to Paul Rand (IBM) to design “NEXT”- and the contract was (if memory serves) $100,000 for 1 logo. Not 3 or 4 to chose from, but the single recommendation presented by Mr Rand.
You are correct that it was NEVER a “tulip”- that was a nickname given to it because of its shape similarity. And “tulip” ain’t so bad. When you launch a new logo, it’s given a name in the PR release, because it can be often be given a pejorative name by employees and critics. “Meatball” for the old CO logo joins many other “Mestballs” like GE and most other solid circle symbols.
The Globe seen today (from ‘91) wasn’t done by an advertising agency though. It was created by Lippencott who has a decent history of some good symbols for some big companies, even though design execution over the past 35 years was greatly diminished in lieu of brand strategy. They were a major competitor of ours when I was at Landor, but Landor’s DNA was creative. We would show up for meetings in more colorful and sometimes off beat fashion, and we could always spot Lippencott people as they all dressed like bankers.
The Globe in 1991 was created using a new mapping filter, something I believe the Saul Bass’ of the world would have frowned upon.
In aviation I think some of Walter Landor’s Greats were: Alitalia (1966!) Singapore, Thai, Northwest N/W arrow in a circle
Aside from the tail, whom ever has been working with the Globe has done a great job using something which was fundamentally flawed as a “symbol”- it may have looked very new in 1991 on the tail, but when it’s in a box- I hate it.
Last night I sat in F on a refurbished A319 from China Air, I looked long and hard at the UNITED First plaque on the new bulkhead (which, while very tailored, looked great) and I determined that I actually really like the UNITED typeface. Not only because it’s beauty is in its simplicity, but it does, going way back in UNITED’s history UNITED almost always been a block sans-serif (apart from Battleship). Currently it looks worse on the aircraft, but as some of the designs above- once it’s integrated with the rest of the livery- it’s quite classy and timeless

Interesting - thanks for the info! I too agree that the globe in a box is awful. A strong logo should be able to stand on its own without being framed. I also agree that the current United typeface looks pretty good!
319 320 321 359 717 722 732 733 735 73G 738 739 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 773 788 DC9 DC10 MD80 B1900 S340 E120 E145 E170 E175 CRJ CR7

Airlines0613

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:04 am

Any leaks?

TWA772LR

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:04 am

Does anyone have any hard evidence of the new livery itself and when it will be revealed?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

questions

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:34 am

I’m looking forward to United’s new livery and branding elements.

It’s time for United to be United!

Airlines0613

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:46 pm

I’m quite surprised there are no leaks or employees giving hints. It looks like we’ll have to wait, as UA is doing a great job at keeping it a secret.

strfyr51

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:55 pm

vanguard737 wrote:
VC10er wrote:
vanguard737 wrote:

The "tulip" design is not actually a tulip. That is just a nickname that it has been given based off of its slight resemblance to the flower. The logo is actually two capital letter "U"s - each being half red, half blue - interlocked...aka united. It is an iconic logo designed by Saul Bass, one of the great logo designers of the 20th century, famous for many other well-know logos, too. It had global recognition as the essence of the United brand and it absolutely should have been kept instead of the generic globe logo created by an advertising agency for Continental in 1991.

I am 100% with you about the “tulip”- I loved it too, it was an example of great symbol design- and it is extremely difficult to find great “symbol designers” today. Folks like Saul Bass, Paul Rand, Walter Landor and Chermayoff & Geismar (PanAm Globe) actually enjoyed “some” celebrity status at one time. Perhaps not household names, but in business they were seen as semi-Gods of design. Steve Jobs went directly to Paul Rand (IBM) to design “NEXT”- and the contract was (if memory serves) $100,000 for 1 logo. Not 3 or 4 to chose from, but the single recommendation presented by Mr Rand.
You are correct that it was NEVER a “tulip”- that was a nickname given to it because of its shape similarity. And “tulip” ain’t so bad. When you launch a new logo, it’s given a name in the PR release, because it can be often be given a pejorative name by employees and critics. “Meatball” for the old CO logo joins many other “Mestballs” like GE and most other solid circle symbols.
The Globe seen today (from ‘91) wasn’t done by an advertising agency though. It was created by Lippencott who has a decent history of some good symbols for some big companies, even though design execution over the past 35 years was greatly diminished in lieu of brand strategy. They were a major competitor of ours when I was at Landor, but Landor’s DNA was creative. We would show up for meetings in more colorful and sometimes off beat fashion, and we could always spot Lippencott people as they all dressed like bankers.
The Globe in 1991 was created using a new mapping filter, something I believe the Saul Bass’ of the world would have frowned upon.
In aviation I think some of Walter Landor’s Greats were: Alitalia (1966!) Singapore, Thai, Northwest N/W arrow in a circle
Last night I sat in F on a refurbished A319 from China Air, I looked long and hard at the UNITED First plaque on the new bulkhead (which, while very tailored, looked great) and I determined that I actually really like the UNITED typeface. Not only because it’s beauty is in its simplicity, but it does, going way back in UNITED’s history UNITED almost always been a block sans-serif (apart from Battleship). Currently it looks worse on the aircraft, but as some of the designs above- once it’s integrated with the rest of the livery- it’s quite classy and timeless

Interesting - thanks for the info! I too agree that the globe in a box is awful. A strong logo should be able to stand on its own without being framed. I also agree that the current United typeface looks pretty good!

while many dislike the globe? I think it was kept to denote the fact that United is a global carrier.. despite all the Strife ? We're flying and flying WELL!

VC10er

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:13 pm

The current CO livery with United name was done purely for internal reasons- with not much consideration to the flying public.
1: Cost. They had one full fleet in the CO livery, and another fleet part Shades of Blue, part Battleship (right?- so many liveries it’s got my head spinning) so from a pure dollar standpoint it was probably far cheaper just to paint the mixed pre-merger UA fleet in CO, and put a UNITED over Continental
2: Delta & NW and AA & USAir can’t be compared to the UA & CO merger because in this case each airline brand had it’s own “groove” going (even if there were many UA haters) there was also a very devoted UA fan base (especially 1k & GS and at the time a true Global First with fairly new decent seats). If UA ate up CO the outcry from both CO employees (and it’s loyal loving fliers) would have been a National Disaster and FEMA would have called in to calm down the riots (Lol). Had CO eaten up UA entirely, the UA employee’s would have flipped out big time, as would UA loyalists like 1k & GS (still today people are calling for the return of the tulip!)
And, of all the BS that came out at the time from Smisek and Tilton (?) it probably was true that UNITED was the more recognized name around the world- even if it meant “bad airline”
As for the rationale of the globe being more appropriate given the merged entities was so global- that was an stunning display of “post rationalization” (someone at their PR firm got a big bonus!)
3: Fish to fry: There were much, much, much bigger issues to tackle with the merger than the livery/brand identity. Because for starters the new core brand essence for the merged entity was FAR from being decided. I recall those first few years, I was GS and I stuck with them regardless of all the “cock-ups” (as the Brits would say without controversy) - It was SO apparent to me that the problems were coming down from Smisek. I knew he couldn’t last that long. Then when he was given the boot, and this guy Oscar Munoz from the freight train industry enters the scene. I recall the outcry of many who thought Munoz was a horrible choice. But, I liked his face! And I’ve realized while experience means A LOT, extremely smart and charming go a long way. So for me it was wait and see. (Although his early heart transplant upset me very much, not that I knew him, but it was tragic for anyone and LAST thing United needed)

Last, in hindsight, the fact that the merged United (& CO) hit rock bottom in almost every way actually translated into “there is only one way we can go, and that’s UP, because we couldn’t be more dysfunctional”. So, while we might have to live with a disgusto-globe-in-box symbol for years to come, when I measure where UA/CO was the first couple of years to TODAY, they have done a great job (so far) in 2 ways: Figured out who they are and where they want to go, what they want the UNITED brand to stand for in the future- and thus far, where change is palpable they have executed that brand strategy extremely well. (with the caveat that they are still a WIP)
Last edited by VC10er on Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

khinstorff

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:06 am

The creator of this video states that the livery will debut on a new delivery instead of an aircraft that’s currently in the fleet. Would love to know which source he’s citing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF82Nwf9D1w

TWA772LR

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:36 am

khinstorff wrote:
The creator of this video states that the livery will debut on a new delivery instead of an aircraft that’s currently in the fleet. Would love to know which source he’s citing.

Anyone have United's April delivery schedule on hand?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

SFOtoORD

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:39 am

khinstorff wrote:

If correct then it would be a 77W or 78X.

GmoneyCO

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:08 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
khinstorff wrote:

If correct then it would be a 77W or 78X.

It won’t be a 77W as those deliveries are not scheduled until the end of the year. There are three 78X that will come in April. It’s likely one of those or if it’s a MAX9 it won’t come until later. My hope is that it’s a 78X.

intotheair

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:15 am

khinstorff wrote:

What’s his source for that? Most of the rest of the information in that video was taken from here.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:34 am

And that is what is called a recursive statement: one that calls itself.

DJ pilfers information from here > broadcasts it as his own without giving any credit > makes money > people here watch his videos and posts his news here.
© 2019. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

tpaewr

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:01 am

That video is worthless crap. I regret the validation I afford it when I clicked on it!

VC10er

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:16 am

I think it is always smart to unveil a new livery on a flagship aircraft of any airline. Once upon a time it was ALWAYS a 747 (if the airline flew them)
Highlighting the 78X makes for better PR because United can once again reinforce that they are the only US airline with them- for now.

Personally, I think it would be as stupid as Gracie Allen to unveil it on a 737. Almost all my friends have passed judgement on ALL 737’s because of the MAX disasters. To someone who has zero interest in aviation the “MAX” designator is meaningless. They would not be able to point at one thing that makes a MAX different than all others- in the possible exception of “software problems” - they just parrot back the one thing that stuck in their heads.

FlyboyOz

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:03 pm

Oceanic wrote:

No way!! I realized that there's another logo that looks very similar to that image above

http://www.universalphoneservices.com.au/
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

Themotionman

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:30 pm

FlyboyOz wrote:
Oceanic wrote:

No way!! I realized that there's another logo that looks very similar to that image above

http://www.universalphoneservices.com.au/

Or https://www.utair.ru/en/

rj777

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:53 pm

GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:

DJ pilfers information from here > broadcasts it as his own without giving any credit > makes money > people here watch his videos and posts his news here.

I wonder if anyone has tried to contact him through his YouTube Channel and asked him for his sources.

VC10er

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:14 pm

That circle with a U is not a terrible design, it’s probably perfect for the right company. It’s a B2B logo that doesn’t have consumer appeal- unless it was an insurance company or financial institution.

While the “Globe in a box” is very flawed in its execution, at least when used in conjunction with or alongside far superior versions, it does say “GLOBAL” for an airline with a remarkable global route map.

At first I was dubious about creating a sub-brand called “Polaris”, was really unsure I liked it or it was trying too hard. It’s also an enormous effort to build equity into, and very dangerous and damaging if it goes sideways. But, the amazing execution of Polaris (especially the Lounges) has indeed worked as intended: creating a halo over the UNITED brand, they may not (alone) gotten them to a higher place. It’s why I think a “subtitle” way of including the Polaris star logo somewhere in the livery- but subtle as many wont ever get the chance to experience it.

GmoneyCO

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:56 pm

We can't see the full livery in this photo but the portion of the tail that is shown gives us a good idea of the changes to the globe (https://images.wsj.net/im-62615?width=1 ... _ratio=1.5). The top of the 4 planes is the one to focus on. The way the white is laid out does not match that of Copa so process of elimination says it is United.

There two 787s The livery could be deployed on (N16009 or N91007). N16009 was rolled out on 2/25/2019 so I would be surprised if its sat unpainted or 'hidden' from public view for this long. It is not scheduled to be delivered until the end of April. Not likely to be it IMO. N91007 was the GE powered 787-10 certification aircraft. It was originally painted in Boeing colors, unsure if its been repainted to UA colors yet but if I had to put my finger on which aircraft it's launched on this will be it. Boeing can get everything ready to go in the house colors, slip it into the paint shop right before delivery and hold a joint delivery and livery launch event with UA at the end of the month when its scheduled to be delivered.

The other possibility is that it is delayed until the 737 MAX returns to service, we know there is at least one at the factory that will be delivered in the new livery based on the photo linked above.

Note: Image can be found in the following Wall Street Journal article (https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-boeing ... cle_inline)

Scarebus34

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:24 pm

Fairly confident the new livery won’t debut on a B39M....

Scarebus34

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:28 pm

GmoneyCO wrote:
We can't see the full livery in this photo but the portion of the tail that is shown gives us a good idea of the changes to the globe (https://images.wsj.net/im-62615?width=1 ... _ratio=1.5). The top of the 4 planes is the one to focus on. The way the white is laid out does not match that of Copa so process of elimination says it is United.

There two 787s The livery could be deployed on (N16009 or N91007). N16009 was rolled out on 2/25/2019 so I would be surprised if its sat unpainted or 'hidden' from public view for this long. It is not scheduled to be delivered until the end of April. Not likely to be it IMO. N91007 was the GE powered 787-10 certification aircraft. It was originally painted in Boeing colors, unsure if its been repainted to UA colors yet but if I had to put my finger on which aircraft it's launched on this will be it. Boeing can get everything ready to go in the house colors, slip it into the paint shop right before delivery and hold a joint delivery and livery launch event with UA at the end of the month when its scheduled to be delivered.

The other possibility is that it is delayed until the 737 MAX returns to service, we know there is at least one at the factory that will be delivered in the new livery based on the photo linked above.

Note: Image can be found in the following Wall Street Journal article (https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-boeing ... cle_inline)

Incorrect all B39M deliveries have had the same tail design prior to full paint. Image

Runway28L

Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:01 pm

GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:

That is literally what he does. Though the majority of his audience is young and either have never heard of A.net or have little concept of how he gets his information, hence his huge popularity on YouTube and IG. Kind of messed up...

Airlines0613 wrote:
I’m quite surprised there are no leaks or employees giving hints. It looks like we’ll have to wait, as UA is doing a great job at keeping it a secret.

Gotta give everyone at UA credit. I would like for it to be a complete surprise anyway. :)

Definitely not like how the new EI livery was leaked several days before its reveal.

jph7291

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:06 pm

My bet is that purple makes a big splash. Seems everyday they are using more and more in their branding. Saw this on the United company store...gives an idea what a purple-and-navy application may look like:
https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/uniteds ... t_id=14000
712, 732/G/8, 752, 763, 772/W, 320, M8/90, CR2/7/9, E45, E70/5, AT7, DH4/8
ACK, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLE, CVG, DAL, DAY, DTW, EWR, FLL, HOU, HSV, HNL, IAH, IND, MCO, MDW, MRS, NCE, OAK, ORD, ORY, PHL, RNS, SDF, YYZ
AA, AC, AF, CO, DL, FL, G4, UA, WN

fun2fly

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:28 pm

N91007 was the GE powered 787-10 certification aircraft.

Seems like the most likely scenario GmoneyCO. They can hide this one.

IAD is getting busy with another 78J landing today!

khinstorff

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:01 pm

jph7291 wrote:
My bet is that purple makes a big splash. Seems everyday they are using more and more in their branding. Saw this on the United company store...gives an idea what a purple-and-navy application may look like:

It seems like this would be too dark for the tail. They would have to include some white to differentiate the globe from the navy.

proudpilot94

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:36 pm

United's birthday's on the 6th, isn't it?

United1

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:01 pm

proudpilot94 wrote:
United's birthday's on the 6th, isn't it?

yup...93 years young.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

CarlosSi

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:57 pm

Does this mean COPA will also get a new livery then :scratchchin: ?

Airlines0613

Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:07 am

CarlosSi wrote:
Does this mean COPA will also get a new livery then :scratchchin: ?

That would be nice, it can represent their close relationship and increase their success if they form a JV.

fightforlove

Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:53 am

EA CO AS

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:53 am

fightforlove wrote:

No.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

unitedewr737

Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:41 am

Found this photo and a couple other variations on an SF design website, seems to fit all the rumors, and the "UNITED" fits the "Her Art Here" design guidelines. The link for the website is: https://www.dsdesignoffice.co/united-airlines/ For some reason I can't make the image work, i put the link between the two image brackets but I just get a box with a question mark out of it. Here is the Flickr link as well: https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/1142M3

InnsbruckFlyer

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:12 pm

unitedewr737 wrote:
Found this photo and a couple other variations on an SF design website, seems to fit all the rumors, and the "UNITED" fits the "Her Art Here" design guidelines. The link for the website is: https://www.dsdesignoffice.co/united-airlines/ For some reason I can't make the image work, i put the link between the two image brackets but I just get a box with a question mark out of it. Here is the Flickr link as well: https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/1142M3

If that's actually it:

+ Nice new evolution on the tail
+ Makes the tail more colorful
- Eurowhite Fuselage

Kinda similar to the LH livery, just bigger letters and purple on the tail.

Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGO < A320 HA-LWC < A320 HA-LWV < A320 SX-DVT < A320 SX-DVK < B733 LZ-BVU < E190 LZ-SOF < A320 D-AIUQ < DH8D OE-LGJ < A321 D-AIRN < A319 LZ-FBB < DH8D OE-LGO < B772 OE-LPC < A346 D-AIHX

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 pm

unitedewr737 wrote:

Eh. Along with LH and others, just seems too common.

I'd like to see this but with...

-Wavy, purple/blue cheat line.
-Raise the UNITED letters above the window line.
© 2019. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

Jamake1

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:24 pm

My sense is that the globe will be more subtle. I think it will be positioned lower on the aircraft tail so that the eye sees past its horizon. This positioning of the globe is already reflected in seatback video screens and on forward cabin sidewalls of newly refurbished aircraft. As jph7291 pointed out, I too think purple will be a significant hue in the new livery.
Come fly the sun.

micstatic

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:53 pm

It’s not too bad. Eurowhite a little boring. At least put color on the engines.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

cruiseshipcrew

Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:54 pm

unitedewr737 wrote:

This website has a lot of concept designs that appear more for fun than real. Caesars, Facebook etc. I'm 99% sure this United branding design is for his own enjoyment and artist side and nothing that he was hired by United for. If the new design has the globe on the tail, I'm guessing it will face the way it does now or it will extend forward so the horizontal stabilizer doesn't totally cut it in half. Another note, I doubt they will flip the globe upside down if they keep the current design of it that this rendering shows.
James - Road Warrior

TWA772LR

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:25 pm

unitedewr737 wrote:

I like the concepts. I just don't like the backwards globe.

SpaceshipDC10

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:41 pm

They should seriously consider having a RnG livery.

RnG as in Rainbow & Globe livery. Bring, back, the, Rainbow for heaven sake!

StuckinCMHland

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:43 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
fightforlove wrote:

No.

Yes, best I've seen

Airlines0613

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:48 pm

StuckinCMHland wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
fightforlove wrote:

No.

Yes, best I've seen

I beg to differ.

AVENSAB727

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:54 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
unitedewr737 wrote:

I like the concepts. I just don't like the backwards globe.

Agreed, kind of ruins the concept for me.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

winstonavgeek

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:01 pm

N91007 got ferried over to Fort Worth last night. Could this 787-10 possibly get painted into the new livery?

VC10er

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:20 am

DFW: would they trust AA not to take a sneak pic!?! Lol

LovePrunesAnet

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:37 am

The pictures on the DS design website has 3 different versions of the tail shown in 5 pics in the slideshow. I would think if they had actually been selected and if this as a project they were hired to deliver design for, they would NOT be showing choices that are not going to be used as part of their slideshow. Certainly United would have been smart enough to have them sign a NDA to prevent this from leaking. It looks like these are somebody's concepts as a hobby, but doubt United would approve of them displaying them before they are debuted.

Design 1 has a solid blue tail with a purple gradient at the top of the tail and a couple swoopy lines around the globe: 1 blue and 1 purple. Blue ends at a point at the bottom aft part of the plane. There are two pictures of this.

Design 2 has no swoopy lines and the purple gradient is going up in an arc from the belly of the plsne up to the top of the tail at the leading edge of the vertical tail. There's only one of these pictures shown.

The third has a purple triangle wedge going down and wrapping under the belly in the AFT section. when the purple hits the blue portion of the tail it turns a darker blue instead of purple.

NYPECO

Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:29 am

unitedewr737 wrote:

This would not work because the globe would be distorted in the transition from the tail to the rear fuselage.

Yonderlust

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:14 am

khinstorff wrote:
jph7291 wrote:

It seems like this would be too dark for the tail. They would have to include some white to differentiate the globe from the navy.

Totally agree and it is why I dislike the current Delta tail. That dark blue and red are so visually difficult to read without any white to create depth. The idea of purple and white for UA could be a huge hit it done well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos