khinstorff

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:46 pm

lew01 wrote:
Maybe something more like this would be good?
Keeps the grey under the belly so it's not just fully eurowhite ;-) :D :D :D

It could also be good to cut the globe as I did here - I find it was quite an awkward shape when some was visible behind the tail

How did it look with billboard titles?

EvanWSFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Whatever it is, hurry up so this thread can then move to "I hate it" / "I love it". :banghead:
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

VC10er

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:29 am

If this TRULY was what they meant to do: and it leaked to this extent...it’s been changed!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

CONTACREW

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:55 am

VC10er wrote:
If this TRULY was what they meant to do: and it leaked to this extent...it’s been changed!

That’s not the new livery.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

4engines4lnghll

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:41 am

I can't wait for the unveil so this insane thread will end, but then 50 more pages will be added by users writing paragraphs about how they hate it.
4engines4lnghll

TWA772LR

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:42 am

4engines4lnghll wrote:
I can't wait for the unveil so this insane thread will end, but then 50 more pages will be added by users writing paragraphs about how they hate it.

Every day since thread came put Ive been hoping for that. :biggrin:
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Aloha717200

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:20 am

lew01 wrote:

It could also be good to cut the globe as I did here - I find it was quite an awkward shape when some was visible behind the tail

That is actually gorgeous :o

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:20 am

Aloha717200 wrote:
lew01 wrote:

I liked it better when the purple part was green and the Titles said 'Alaska'...

Seriously, it is a good look. But I think the branding is too similar to the existing AS and that would do more hindrance than help for UA.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

CarlosSi

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:53 pm

Agreed, it should be unique. Battleship grey was unique (but hated). Obviously it can’t be perfectly unique because of elements it may take from the design book already used by others.

VC10er

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:00 pm

IM-HUMBLE-O” While I have not read United’s internal brand essence statement, the brand “Manifesto”- and if everything being done so far has been accurately executed against it, I would venture a guess that the new livery will be a balance of being modern/dynamic/stylish but also tailored and sophisticated.
United is aiming itself to appeal to global business travelers who’s tickets are paid by their employer or client. Aka: me 15 years ago with 200,000 miles in paid business class. But also a delightful experience for people to go away on vacation in Polaris or PE. Although:
(I always wondered how many nice, cute guys I could have met flying 200k miles a year in economy? Today, at 57, I sit up there and watch them all pass me on the way to economy!)
BA’s Landor livery did that in its day: the most sophisticated way to fly for business! Tailored and streamlined.
The BIG QUESTION STILL REMAINS: can they get that grid globe there? I swear one of the reasons United resurrected the GLOBAL SERVICES globe from Pentagram was how well suited it is for the high end- aside from making pmUA GS folks really happy.

VC10er

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:03 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
Agreed, it should be unique. Battleship grey was unique (but hated). Obviously it can’t be perfectly unique because of elements it may take from the design book already used by others.

I actually LOVED the tail of Battleship! That would be the PERFECT tail if the tulip never died and cremated. I was stylish and classy. Perfect for the $$$$ Business fliers!

787X30

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:20 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
... move to "I hate it" / "I love it". :banghead:

Already, on me it grows.

jetblastdubai

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:00 pm

VC10er wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:
Agreed, it should be unique. Battleship grey was unique (but hated).

I actually LOVED the tail of Battleship! That would be the PERFECT tail if the tulip never died and cremated. I was stylish and classy. Perfect for the $$$$ Business fliers!

As a tower/ground controller (most) of us absolutely hated the battleship gray tail. We always joked at work about the official color of United was "wet concrete at night". The planes were almost invisible from tower at night which made them much more difficult to identify or locate on the field. To add to the visibility issue UA disconnected the logo lights on the fleet for a while. We (ATC) were told that if the logo light was inop, it was an MEL item however if the logo lights were disconnected then it was a non-issue. Someone from UA might be able to confirm/correct that information, but that's was we were told from our managers.

When the blue/gray faded, it looked really sad.
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

lew01

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:59 pm

khinstorff wrote:
lew01 wrote:

Hey! I tried adding the billboard titles here - looks better than I expected! I also thought it would be a pretty nice idea to name each of their aircraft after something inspirational :-)

:D :D :D :D

lew01

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:59 pm

Aloha717200 wrote:
lew01 wrote:

Thanks!! Means a lot :-)
:D :D :D :D

airzona11

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:59 pm

lew01 wrote:
khinstorff wrote:
lew01 wrote:

Hey! I tried adding the billboard titles here - looks better than I expected! I also thought it would be a pretty nice idea to name each of their aircraft after something inspirational :-)

That would be awesome.

leleko747

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:31 pm

lew01 wrote:

This one is wonderful! The grey belly is great, hopefully the new livery will keep it.

Agreed, it reminds me a bit of Alaska, but still is wonderful.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

TWA772LR

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:40 pm

lew01 wrote:
khinstorff wrote:
lew01 wrote:

Both iterations look fantastic! I especially love the naming concept. Inspirational sayings/quotes, past company slogans from the lineage of airlines that consolidated in to CO/UA, or even 'Fly the Friendly Skies'.

I made a fantasy airline called Constellation Airlines. The aircraft were named after constellations in the sky with the tail having the actual stars for their respective asterism on it. I think UA should integrate that to the new livery to represent the Polaris sub-brand; so a plane could be called But Supper with the Big Dipper constellations stars over the globe.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Aloha717200

Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:58 pm

lew01 wrote:

If you're not already in design work, you should be. What a gorgeous rendition, on both counts. You do really good work. Hopefully something you create winds up on an airplane someday!

khinstorff

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:48 pm

lew01 wrote:
khinstorff wrote:
lew01 wrote:

Well done! This is my favorite on the thread thus far.

jworks158

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:49 pm

Aloha717200 wrote:
lew01 wrote:

If you're not already in design work, you should be. What a gorgeous rendition, on both counts. You do really good work. Hopefully something you create winds up on an airplane someday!

I haven't seen one negative response about this which should tell you something, given the reputation for airliners.net livery threads.
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

Blockplus

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:06 pm

Remove the purple from the tail make it platinum, scoot the globe up and right and add a purple cheat line ala the 787 and max

acavpics

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:47 pm

Am I the only one who hates it when they don't include the word "Airlines" on the logo? DL, AA, UA have all done this with their new liveries. :roll:

That's what I really loved about the battleship grey livery.

LovePrunesAnet

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:00 pm

The purple is truly hideous. There's a reason you don't see much purple in any prominent large businesses' logos. UGLY.
Unless United is trying to invoke Taco Bell or Monster.com
bleh. Fedex already has flying purple with orange.

ACCS300

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:12 pm

xxcr wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/united-airlines-new-livery-leaked/

I'm leaning to #4, there's been so many swoopy tail concepts lately like #1 and #2, Alaska, WestJet, Aer Lingus etc., #3 is in second place for me, I like the lack of curve off the tail art, it's crisp and sharp. Both #3 and #4 have a hint of Lufthansa too.

Any of the 4 is a massive improvement.

LovePrunesAnet

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
Blockplus wrote:
Me freelance must have gotten a call from UA legal, as all Ua images are now gone.

Yep - they have been removed which makes me believe that its probably the real deal. There were four different tail designs, perhaps all four will be introduced kind of like what JetBlue has in their various tail designs.

Can you say "Cease & Desist"?

rnav2dlrey

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:51 pm

jworks158 wrote:
Aloha717200 wrote:
lew01 wrote:

I haven't seen one negative response about this which should tell you something, given the reputation for airliners.net livery threads.

i was thinking the same thing. if the globe must stay and UNITED will be in large billboard characters, this livery is superb. i'm sure it'll look even better on the best looking plane in the fleet (the 752, duh :stirthepot: ).

OzarkD9S

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:58 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:

The purple is truly hideous. There's a reason you don't see much purple in any prominent large businesses' logos. UGLY.
Unless United is trying to invoke Taco Bell or Monster.com
bleh. Fedex already has flying purple with orange.

Purple is one of my "signature colors", I look darn good in it. And prunes are purplish which is your handle. So....why the purple hatred?
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

atlflyer

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:04 am

lew01 wrote:
khinstorff wrote:
lew01 wrote:

Wow. This one looks great. Nice job!

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:01 am

Get rid of the globe, put a "U" on the tail, and it gets my vote.

aerokiwi

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:23 am

jworks158 wrote:
Aloha717200 wrote:
lew01 wrote:

Well here goes:

1. The globe is far more clunky and less refined than the existing livery globe - the longitudinal lines especially are too thick.

2. The purple flourish is the same as Qantas and their silver and Aer Lingus and the blue. Is this the new "swoop" of the 2000s?

3. The purple colour itself is an ungainly minsmatch with the tone of blue. It's too bright and "milky", contrasting terribly with the navy blue. Use a colour wheel people!

Overall, just stick with the existing livery. The gold and blues are very complementary and serve the carrier well.

Gangurru

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:27 am

I’m not going to express an opinion on whether I like the suggested options of the globe being expanded over the rear fuselage. My only observation is based on decades of seeing the Qantas livery, which has design similarities to the proposal.

The complexity of the rear fuselage shapes quickly distort two dimensional logos unless viewed side on. For this reason, from many viewing angles the legs of the poor Qantas kangaroo look positively deformed.

It would be interesting to see the renderings move from being two dimensional to reflecting the actual aircaft shapes. The smooth shapes of the globe may be difficult to recognise on the rear fuselage.

Fly-K

Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:54 am

Gangurru wrote:
I’m not going to express an opinion on whether I like the suggested options of the globe being expanded over the rear fuselage. My only observation is based on decades of seeing the Qantas livery, which has design similarities to the proposal.

The complexity of the rear fuselage shapes quickly distort two dimensional logos unless viewed side on. For this reason, from many viewing angles the legs of the poor Qantas kangaroo look positively deformed.

It would be interesting to see the renderings move from being two dimensional to reflecting the actual aircaft shapes. The smooth shapes of the globe may be difficult to recognise on the rear fuselage.

Another example of this is Qatar's oryx, which was reduced in size to the tail's dimension - previously it was extending down to the rear fuselage and was always almost unrecognizable.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

intotheair

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:16 am

Gangurru wrote:

Exactly why I doubt the new livery will spill the globe onto the fuselage. I also doubt they will flip the orientation on the globe. It’s much more natural to keep the globe aligned how it is on the current livery.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Jamake1

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:24 pm

The white globe on the tail is too bland. I think there needs to be another color infused from United’s color palate to replace the gold in the globe. It looks too generic otherwise...
Come fly the sun.

Antarius

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Jamake1 wrote:
The white globe on the tail is too bland. I think there needs to be another color infused from United’s color palate to replace the gold in the globe. It looks too generic otherwise...

To me, the color is fine but the globe should be simplified. The globe has always had way too much "texture", a lot of which adds minimal value.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHTYYZ DEN DOH BLR MAA TXL MEX

elbandgeek

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:12 pm

It's important to think about what colors represent when they're integrating into things like this and the emotional response they evoke. Basically every US airline except F9 and NK incorporate heavy amounts of blue, and that on it's own isn't a bad thing because it's obviously a color that evokes imagery of air and flight so really it's going to be the accent colors that catch people's attention and creates their unique look and feel. AA and DL both use red which fits well as obviously they're American colors. WN has the red and yellow desert tones. AS using green (as well as it being F9's primary) gives a nature/wilderness vibe. The thing that's always bothered me about the CO/UA scheme is that the gold felt pretentious and tacky. I like the purple because for one, it's a color associated with luxury, but more importantly it's one that I haven't seen really utilized as much and would add to the diversity of what's out there already. I like a lot about lew01's designs but agree it's unlikely due to the similarities to AS. One thing I will say as far as incorporating the purple though, is there does need to be some more visual separation from the blue otherwise they'll sort of blend into each other.

glbltrvlr

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:13 pm

xxcr wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/united-airlines-new-livery-leaked/

From the link:

Update: One Mile At A Time has noted that the below livery is NOT United’s new livery after a spokesperson reached out to them.

VC10er

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:07 pm

I personally think that the renderings here are fine for internal agency review. When presenting a new livery it is then done in a photo realistic rendering which looks real as air to air photography and should also probably be able to move smoothly in any direction to see it from many angles and distances. This is both expensive and time consuming and only done once initial “illustustator” or “in design” concepts are finalized.

Personally, I do like the one with the larger UNITED, however it also is too reminiscent of too many airline liveries today. And on a 737, all I see is Alaska with no Inuit (Charlie?) but the UA single color, less fussy globe.

While I don’t mind the new Lufthansa from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I cannot for the life of me rationalize the total removal of yellow for strategic reasons only. That said, the new Lufthansa is the kind of simple, high end tailored look that would be a better expression of UNITED’s mission and business plan: the premium business flier!

Tomorrow I’m finally on a 787-10 to SFO. Can’t wait!

CDGIAD

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:18 pm

When trying to guess when we'll see the new livery, I remembered the initial interview from Oscar who said the updated livery will be presented "april-ish".

This is unusual, usually we have a more specific timeline. And with the GE powered 787-10 that's still to be certified and delivered this month, I guess that's why he couldn't be more specific.

So we better hope the certification goes as planned.

4engines4lnghll

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:36 pm

so when is it supposed to come out? I thought the date was April 4th?
4engines4lnghll

Pbb152

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:39 pm

4engines4lnghll wrote:

Not sure where you got that specific date. I have seen no mention of a specific date. Just that it would be revealed sometime in April.

EA CO AS

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:04 pm

VC10er wrote:
Personally, I do like the one with the larger UNITED, however it also is too reminiscent of too many airline liveries today. And on a 737, all I see is Alaska with no Inuit (Charlie?) but the UA single color, less fussy globe.

Chester. And I agree, it does look remarkably like the AS livery.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

lugie

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:24 pm

Pbb152 wrote:
4engines4lnghll wrote:

Not sure where you got that specific date. I have seen no mention of a specific date. Just that it would be revealed sometime in April.

Somebody a bit further down the thread mentioned that United's anniversary is in April an, indeed, it was founded (as Varney Airlines) on April 6th, which is tomorrow - conveniently on a weekend.

They sent a 787-10 to Fort Worth for paint last weekend, does anybody know whether a week is a realistic timeframe to paint an airplane that size?

If so, we might not have to wait too much longer in case they decide to go for a relevant date and make the new livery reveal coincide with their anniversary.
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW SJO PTY

elbandgeek

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:40 pm

It's opening day for the white sox and UA's home plate ads are rather placeholder-y looking, and they've never used "airlines" on them before.
Make of that what you will.

SpaceshipDC10

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:05 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
Whatever it is, hurry up so this thread can then move to "I hate it" / "I love it". :banghead:

And what's the problem with that in a forum where part of of the matter is about shape, look and colors?

Sooner787

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:51 pm

lugie wrote:
Pbb152 wrote:
4engines4lnghll wrote:

Somebody a bit further down the thread mentioned that United's anniversary is in April an, indeed, it was founded (as Varney Airlines) on April 6th, which is tomorrow - conveniently on a weekend.

They sent a 787-10 to Fort Worth for paint last weekend, does anybody know whether a week is a realistic timeframe to paint an airplane that size?

If so, we might not have to wait too much longer in case they decide to go for a relevant date and make the new livery reveal coincide with their anniversary.

IIRC, 7-10 days seems to be the average. Forecast in DFW calls for T-storms off and on this weekend,
so that might delay the return

VC10er

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:58 am

Especially for United- best not unveil until perfectly executed on a “star” aircraft. It would be better if they had to delay than rush it. Nobody but us and many in the aviation community even really know about it.
I have heard so much about “I don’t have high expectations”- a sign that still UA can’t do something well, despite a good number of things to point at that do indeed exceed expectations.

N766UA

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:07 pm

elbandgeek wrote:
It's opening day for the white sox and UA's home plate ads are rather placeholder-y looking, and they've never used "airlines" on them before.
Make of that what you will.

Continental’s logo was like that; the globe with “Continental Airlines” as 2 lines next to it. So, looks like UA’s actually gone backwards...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos