EvanWSFO
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:22 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
Whatever it is, hurry up so this thread can then move to "I hate it" / "I love it". :banghead:


And what's the problem with that in a forum where part of of the matter is about shape, look and colors?


Did I say there was a problem?
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
User avatar
airzim
Posts: 1416
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2001 7:40 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:41 pm

N766UA wrote:
elbandgeek wrote:
It's opening day for the white sox and UA's home plate ads are rather placeholder-y looking, and they've never used "airlines" on them before.
Make of that what you will.

Image


Continental’s logo was like that; the globe with “Continental Airlines” as 2 lines next to it. So, looks like UA’s actually gone backwards...


I ran the NYC half this year and United used the same logo with “Airlines” added. I surmised it was because the Globe is not universally associated with United Airlines so it was added for clarity and emphasis; that this is an airline and not a moving company.
 
ocaviation
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:49 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:35 pm

lugie wrote:
Pbb152 wrote:
4engines4lnghll wrote:
so when is it supposed to come out? I thought the date was April 4th?


Not sure where you got that specific date. I have seen no mention of a specific date. Just that it would be revealed sometime in April.


Somebody a bit further down the thread mentioned that United's anniversary is in April an, indeed, it was founded (as Varney Airlines) on April 6th, which is tomorrow - conveniently on a weekend.

They sent a 787-10 to Fort Worth for paint last weekend, does anybody know whether a week is a realistic timeframe to paint an airplane that size?

If so, we might not have to wait too much longer in case they decide to go for a relevant date and make the new livery reveal coincide with their anniversary.


What’s the registration of that 787-10?
 
User avatar
lugie
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:44 pm

ocaviation wrote:
What’s the registration of that 787-10?


Apparently it's ship #1007, N91007. But I guess we can say with confidence now that the reveal definitely won't take place on UA's birthday.
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 77W 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN AC
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW YYZ SJO PTY
 
CMH2578
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:52 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:23 am

airzim wrote:
N766UA wrote:
elbandgeek wrote:
It's opening day for the white sox and UA's home plate ads are rather placeholder-y looking, and they've never used "airlines" on them before.
Make of that what you will.

Image


Continental’s logo was like that; the globe with “Continental Airlines” as 2 lines next to it. So, looks like UA’s actually gone backwards...


I ran the NYC half this year and United used the same logo with “Airlines” added. I surmised it was because the Globe is not universally associated with United Airlines so it was added for clarity and emphasis; that this is an airline and not a moving company.


Concur. They often add "Airlines" in foreign countries where some clarity is needed.
 
tpaewr
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:33 am

CMH2578 wrote:
airzim wrote:
N766UA wrote:

Continental’s logo was like that; the globe with “Continental Airlines” as 2 lines next to it. So, looks like UA’s actually gone backwards...


I ran the NYC half this year and United used the same logo with “Airlines” added. I surmised it was because the Globe is not universally associated with United Airlines so it was added for clarity and emphasis; that this is an airline and not a moving company.


Concur. They often add "Airlines" in foreign countries where some clarity is needed.




I personally like it better with Airlines. It seems more balanced and symmetrical with the global logo. Than just the UNITED by itself
 
User avatar
antoniemey
Posts: 1407
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:54 am

tpaewr wrote:
CMH2578 wrote:
airzim wrote:

I ran the NYC half this year and United used the same logo with “Airlines” added. I surmised it was because the Globe is not universally associated with United Airlines so it was added for clarity and emphasis; that this is an airline and not a moving company.


Concur. They often add "Airlines" in foreign countries where some clarity is needed.




I personally like it better with Airlines. It seems more balanced and symmetrical with the global logo. Than just the UNITED by itself


United by itself wouldn't look so unbalanced if the wordmark was the same visual height as the logo.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.
 
tpaewr
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:59 am

antoniemey wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
CMH2578 wrote:

Concur. They often add "Airlines" in foreign countries where some clarity is needed.




I personally like it better with Airlines. It seems more balanced and symmetrical with the global logo. Than just the UNITED by itself


United by itself wouldn't look so unbalanced if the wordmark was the same visual height as the logo.



I totally agree, never understood why the font was t made to match the logo.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4148
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:53 am

The VAST majority of corporate identities have a larger symbol than name. Not in every case certainly, but mostly (and depends on how the word-mark and symbol are positioned) but in any design school worth its salt, you study this ratio for you’re entire second year. So, we’ve been tought: symbol will be larger... because if UNITED and the Square were the same X height there would be no focus or balance. I can assure you that the finest designers would most often take this approach: which is why I almost dropped dead when Pentagram made the tulip & UNITED the same X height. Large it looked ok, on small apps the tulip looked like 4 angled bars in front of UNITED.

Look at bp and the Helios (green sun) relationship for instance. One of the most successful corporate identities ever done.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:43 am

VC10er wrote:
The VAST majority of corporate identities have a larger symbol than name. Not in every case certainly, but mostly (and depends on how the word-mark and symbol are positioned) but in any design school worth its salt, you study this ratio for you’re entire second year. So, we’ve been tought: symbol will be larger... because if UNITED and the Square were the same X height there would be no focus or balance. I can assure you that the finest designers would most often take this approach: which is why I almost dropped dead when Pentagram made the tulip & UNITED the same X height. Large it looked ok, on small apps the tulip looked like 4 angled bars in front of UNITED.

Look at bp and the Helios (green sun) relationship for instance. One of the most successful corporate identities ever done.


You've said this before re BP and I just don't get it. I still think of their shield logo when I think of BP. The "helios" has always looked like fluffy marketing pap to cover up the fact that BP is a massive oil company with some a heinous environmental track record - Deepwater etc.

I do prefer the addition of "Airlines" to the logo for United and it'll be interesting to see the application of the globe beyond the livery, ie. boxed or not. The new, chunkier iterations of the globe though look like a real step backwards.

And I still don't get the hate for the gold - it's used sparingly and accentuates and complements surrounding colours. It also distinguishes UA against the other liveries out there. Another blue/white livery, but with milky purple highlight.... seriously?
 
VC10er
Posts: 4148
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:54 am

aerokiwi wrote:
VC10er wrote:
The VAST majority of corporate identities have a larger symbol than name. Not in every case certainly, but mostly (and depends on how the word-mark and symbol are positioned) but in any design school worth its salt, you study this ratio for you’re entire second year. So, we’ve been tought: symbol will be larger... because if UNITED and the Square were the same X height there would be no focus or balance. I can assure you that the finest designers would most often take this approach: which is why I almost dropped dead when Pentagram made the tulip & UNITED the same X height. Large it looked ok, on small apps the tulip looked like 4 angled bars in front of UNITED.

Look at bp and the Helios (green sun) relationship for instance. One of the most successful corporate identities ever done.


You've said this before re BP and I just don't get it. I still think of their shield logo when I think of BP. The "helios" has always looked like fluffy marketing pap to cover up the fact that BP is a massive oil company with some a heinous environmental track record - Deepwater etc.

I do prefer the addition of "Airlines" to the logo for United and it'll be interesting to see the application of the globe beyond the livery, ie. boxed or not. The new, chunkier iterations of the globe though look like a real step backwards.

And I still don't get the hate for the gold - it's used sparingly and accentuates and complements surrounding colours. It also distinguishes UA against the other liveries out there. Another blue/white livery, but with milky purple highlight.... seriously?


Well, for bp, the Helios Identity predated the Gulf of Mexico MEGA disaster by many years. When it launched one could say at the time that bp was a lightyear ahead of any other petroleum company, as no others were doing anything. The advertising at that time actually said “No, the petrochemical industry will never be a good thing for the environment- but that doesn’t mean you do nothing”
At that time they were being far, far more proactive by investing in clean energy, and working with (not against) the largest and most credible environmental protection organizations to find solutions big and small. They knew all too well (especially being British) the cynical skepticism storm they faced. Thier slogan was “It’s a start”- and when attacked for a white washing of their practices, they were armed with everything they were doing.
After the Gulf of Mexico disaster, many said “they are toast and will never recover!” But, they did. And actually in all studies that were done after the mega disaster- it came out clearly that the brand positioning (which also became the butt of late night comedy) actually helped them as they had formed such a remarkable reputation before it. So, it wasn’t PR BS. As for the bp shield, in 20-30 years the vast majority of Earth’s population won’t recall it. Same as the United Tulip.

Big companies need a BIG, EYE OPENING DISASTER (hopefully ones that don’t cost lives) even Kirby of UA admitted that the Dr Dao shocking disaster woke up UA senior management like nothing before. The screws that Wall St put on companies makes them all lose sight of the bigger picture in the quest for growth (money, root of all evil)

In my industry (branding) the hardest part is execution, (which absolutely includes design) but often left for last after strategy, because it’s where the prestige is. The finest brand marketers know this, because they know a great idea is not worth the paper it’s printed on if it is not executed flawlessly. Or, design without a great idea (strategy) driving it is just as bad. Just look at Tropicana!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
khinstorff
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:55 pm

United is now scheduled to host their earnings call the morning of 4/17. Hopefully we get the reveal before this date!

http://ir.united.com/news-and-events/ev ... sentations
 
VC10er
Posts: 4148
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:02 pm

I hope it reflects that the their trend line maintains its growth!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
B737900ER
Posts: 1028
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:26 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:33 pm

elbandgeek wrote:
It's opening day for the white sox and UA's home plate ads are rather placeholder-y looking, and they've never used "airlines" on them before.
Make of that what you will.

Image

They’ve used the same style in a few stadiums for at least two years. It doesn’t match the rest of the branding. It’s odd.
 
wn676
Posts: 1706
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:36 pm

FWIW, it looks like UA is hosting a Brand event for employees in Chicago on April 24th.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.
 
unitedewr737
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:58 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 pm

wn676 wrote:
FWIW, it looks like UA is hosting a Brand event for employees in Chicago on April 24th.


How do you know? I feel like if they unveiled it there, that would be a little too late assuming the 787 getting painted will be the first to have the new livery. Given that it has already been in the paint shop for 9 days, it should be coming out soon and I feel like it would be difficult to keep it hidden for another 2 weeks.

I feel like United will release the new livery with a video, similar to what American and Aer Lingus showed at their events. United's new livery probably isn't a rebrand or really even a logo change (given that the globe in the current logo is on a tag on every single seat in the entire fleet), just changing the variation it has on the tail to match that with the one on the logo on the website or the app in addition to redesigning the fuselage paint including the new colors, so they probably won't have a big event for it. If they do though, then this supposed Brand event would be it, so again would love to hear your source or maybe even see an invitation, might hold clues like Jetblue's for their event in a couple days.

Also for the earning's call, the broadcast is audio only, so I don't think they would do it there.
 
jumpseat67
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:07 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:31 pm

The Employee event was announced this afternoon via internal company email, it is April 24.
 
User avatar
antoniemey
Posts: 1407
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:35 am

wn676 wrote:
FWIW, it looks like UA is hosting a Brand event for employees in Chicago on April 24th.


Oooh, my birthday...
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.
 
aerohottie
Posts: 818
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:52 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:55 am

antoniemey wrote:
wn676 wrote:
FWIW, it looks like UA is hosting a Brand event for employees in Chicago on April 24th.


Oooh, my birthday...

My birthday too...
What?
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4053
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:05 am

unitedewr737 wrote:
wn676 wrote:
FWIW, it looks like UA is hosting a Brand event for employees in Chicago on April 24th.


How do you know? I feel like if they unveiled it there, that would be a little too late assuming the 787 getting painted will be the first to have the new livery. Given that it has already been in the paint shop for 9 days, it should be coming out soon and I feel like it would be difficult to keep it hidden for another 2 weeks.

I feel like United will release the new livery with a video, similar to what American and Aer Lingus showed at their events. United's new livery probably isn't a rebrand or really even a logo change (given that the globe in the current logo is on a tag on every single seat in the entire fleet), just changing the variation it has on the tail to match that with the one on the logo on the website or the app in addition to redesigning the fuselage paint including the new colors, so they probably won't have a big event for it. If they do though, then this supposed Brand event would be it, so again would love to hear your source or maybe even see an invitation, might hold clues like Jetblue's for their event in a couple days.

Also for the earning's call, the broadcast is audio only, so I don't think they would do it there.

Having retired from United? They RARELY do any "Big Deals" where they don't reveal it to the Employees first. If they're revealing it in Chicago? The New Paint Job may very well be sitting in a sealed Hangar as we speak seeing as to how the World headquarters is downtown at the willis Building. I'd bet the damn Banner is on the Wall in the Lobby!
 
User avatar
antoniemey
Posts: 1407
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:31 am

aerohottie wrote:
antoniemey wrote:
wn676 wrote:
FWIW, it looks like UA is hosting a Brand event for employees in Chicago on April 24th.


Oooh, my birthday...

My birthday too...


Happy birthday to us, maybe
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.
 
JonathanRP
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:38 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:57 am

B737900ER wrote:
elbandgeek wrote:
It's opening day for the white sox and UA's home plate ads are rather placeholder-y looking, and they've never used "airlines" on them before.
Make of that what you will.

Image

They’ve used the same style in a few stadiums for at least two years. It doesn’t match the rest of the branding. It’s odd.


Sorry if it has been mentioned before, but I also saw a short advert on Instagram and at the end it said "United Airlines" next to the globe logo. I'm hoping this carries forward to the planes!
 
User avatar
KVH68
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:09 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 am

Interesting coincidence that 737-800, N37267, has a return to service date of 23:00, April 23 from paint at Amarillo. It went in for paint on April 8.
 
777klm
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:23 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:07 am

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Here's a picture of the AMS-SFO route launch a couple of weeks ago.
Two things stand out IMO: the "AIRLINES" added to "UNITED" (like other A-nutters have mentioned) and the recently introduced pattern (of which I don't know the official name).
Image
Source: www.anna.aero
Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK
 
CMH2578
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:52 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:39 am

777klm wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted yet. Here's a picture of the AMS-SFO route launch a couple of weeks ago.
Two things stand out IMO: the "AIRLINES" added to "UNITED" (like other A-nutters have mentioned) and the recently introduced pattern (of which I don't know the official name).
Image
Source: http://www.anna.aero


Yes, this is consistent with "They often add "Airlines" in foreign countries where some clarity is needed".
 
rnav2dlrey
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:10 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:00 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
CMH2578 wrote:
777klm wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted yet. Here's a picture of the AMS-SFO route launch a couple of weeks ago.
Two things stand out IMO: the "AIRLINES" added to "UNITED" (like other A-nutters have mentioned) and the recently introduced pattern (of which I don't know the official name).
Image
Source: http://www.anna.aero


Yes, this is consistent with "They often add "Airlines" in foreign countries where some clarity is needed".


they also use ‘airlines’ with non-aviation related outward marketing. just check out the logos that have been used for years with the NYC and guam marathons. i personally hate it (both in terms of aesthetic and imo it ‘dilutes’ the strong united brand), but i understand its use.
 
ual777
Posts: 1641
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:18 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:21 pm

I have seen a livery on another forum that incorporates what you see on the AMS sign on the tail...looked pretty good IMO.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6933
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:11 pm

ual777 wrote:
I have seen a livery on another forum that incorporates what you see on the AMS sign on the tail...looked pretty good IMO.

Well... Don't hold out on us! Lol
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
guppyflyer
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:16 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
ual777 wrote:
I have seen a livery on another forum that incorporates what you see on the AMS sign on the tail...looked pretty good IMO.

Well... Don't hold out on us! Lol


It was on an employee forum, and I agree it looked good. It is quite different than what has been shown here so far FWIW. We'll see if that's the final design, but as an employee it would be inappropriate for us to share. Surprisingly, I haven't seen it anywhere yet given how wide the distribution was.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 14963
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:19 pm

While I was a Continental loyalist, they have to do something to make the globe not look like CO for two reasons. First, I still think it's CO when I only see the tail. Was at BUR the other day and could only see the tail from the parking garage roof, and my mind immediately called it CO, not UA. Which leads to my second reason: UA is no CO and has destroyed any brand loyalty I had, so it pains me now to associate CO with what the airline is. So changing it will ease the pain. :cry2:
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
User avatar
N776AU
Posts: 982
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:18 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:19 pm

777klm wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted yet. Here's a picture of the AMS-SFO route launch a couple of weeks ago.
Two things stand out IMO: the "AIRLINES" added to "UNITED" (like other A-nutters have mentioned) and the recently introduced pattern (of which I don't know the official name).
Image
Source: http://www.anna.aero

That font on the top left looks like Ubuntu (the middle parts may be as well. Can't tell for sure), which is the same font Southwest uses. Wonder if that's a part of any potential rebranding.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.
 
ocaviation
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:49 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:32 pm

I’ve heard that N91007 (in FTW) is going to be a retro livery, while N37267 (in AMA) will be the new livery. I saw this information from a screenshot of an aircraft fleet site that United employees have access to.
Last edited by ocaviation on Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1768
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:35 pm

N776AU wrote:
777klm wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted yet. Here's a picture of the AMS-SFO route launch a couple of weeks ago.
Two things stand out IMO: the "AIRLINES" added to "UNITED" (like other A-nutters have mentioned) and the recently introduced pattern (of which I don't know the official name).
Image
Source: http://www.anna.aero

That font on the top left looks like Ubuntu (the middle parts may be as well. Can't tell for sure), which is the same font Southwest uses. Wonder if that's a part of any potential rebranding.


That’s the Frutiger typeface and that’s the Schipol logo.

The rest of that poster uses FF Clan, which is United’s default typeface for almost everything. I highly doubt they will move away from that.

Southwest uses a custom typeface designed just for them, called Southwest Sans.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
ual777
Posts: 1641
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:18 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:15 pm

guppyflyer wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
ual777 wrote:
I have seen a livery on another forum that incorporates what you see on the AMS sign on the tail...looked pretty good IMO.

Well... Don't hold out on us! Lol


It was on an employee forum, and I agree it looked good. It is quite different than what has been shown here so far FWIW. We'll see if that's the final design, but as an employee it would be inappropriate for us to share. Surprisingly, I haven't seen it anywhere yet given how wide the distribution was.


I will say of all the liveries I’ve seen waiting for this I hope that’s the one! I think it’ll look great if it’s real.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:30 pm

jumpseat67 wrote:
The Employee event was announced this afternoon via internal company email, it is April 24.

This will not be the reveal.
 
Thomaas
Posts: 655
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:45 pm

ual777 wrote:
I have seen a livery on another forum that incorporates what you see on the AMS sign on the tail...looked pretty good IMO.


Links please
 
mmahpeel
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:18 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Today (April 11) the public voting for the two 757 'her-art-here' designs is to commence. As the artwork is to use the United branding palette as well as the livery on the tail, I find it a little off that the voting would be conducted without an understanding of what the 'evolved' livery is to be. But that is just me....
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9715
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:58 pm

mmahpeel wrote:
Today (April 11) the public voting for the two 757 'her-art-here' designs is to commence. As the artwork is to use the United branding palette as well as the livery on the tail, I find it a little off that the voting would be conducted without an understanding of what the 'evolved' livery is to be. But that is just me....

Why? You are suppose to judging the artist’s individual artwork, not the evolved livery or how well it goes with the evolved livery (or current livery).
 
mmahpeel
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:18 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Polot wrote:
Why? You are suppose to judging the artist’s individual artwork, not the evolved livery or how well it goes with the evolved livery (or current livery).


Have you read the rules of the contest? Brand alignment is a very large portion of the scoring/how United will ultimately pick the final two.

Although the public doesn't necessarily need to consider this, in my mind it would be helpful to understand what ultimately ends up on those planes.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9715
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:23 pm

mmahpeel wrote:
Polot wrote:
Why? You are suppose to judging the artist’s individual artwork, not the evolved livery or how well it goes with the evolved livery (or current livery).


Have you read the rules of the contest? Brand alignment is a very large portion of the scoring/how United will ultimately pick the final two.

Although the public doesn't necessarily need to consider this, in my mind it would be helpful to understand what ultimately ends up on those planes.

We already know the United branding palette, and general branding features ie globe, stars (used with Polaris), etc. The artwork is not suppose to just be the evolved logo supersized on the fuselage, they are looking for creative uses of the United branding colors that are consistent with United’s general image.

It’s not like the submitters were given a sneak peak of the new livery before they drew up their artwork...it is totally fair to judge them before we know the new branding as well (in fact one might argue that is more fair).
 
tpaewr
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:37 pm

ikramerica wrote:
While I was a Continental loyalist, they have to do something to make the globe not look like CO for two reasons. First, I still think it's CO when I only see the tail. Was at BUR the other day and could only see the tail from the parking garage roof, and my mind immediately called it CO, not UA. Which leads to my second reason: UA is no CO and has destroyed any brand loyalty I had, so it pains me now to associate CO with what the airline is. So changing it will ease the pain. :cry2:



It is odd to say, but I completely agree. I am actually looking forward to UA not using CO branding anymore.

It should have been this way from the start.

Best of all we can put to bed the Tulip coming back once and for all!
 
ocaviation
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:49 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:52 pm

“Voting should begin by the end of today.” Said United in a Twitter message after I asked them. As some of you said, seeing this will give us a better idea of the livery.
 
lew01
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Aloha717200 wrote:
lew01 wrote:

Hey! I tried adding the billboard titles here - looks better than I expected! I also thought it would be a pretty nice idea to name each of their aircraft after something inspirational :-)

Image



If you're not already in design work, you should be. What a gorgeous rendition, on both counts. You do really good work. Hopefully something you create winds up on an airplane someday!


Thanks so much for the great feedback! I would love that to happen :-)
:D :D :D :D
 
lew01
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:20 pm

jworks158 wrote:
Aloha717200 wrote:
lew01 wrote:

Hey! I tried adding the billboard titles here - looks better than I expected! I also thought it would be a pretty nice idea to name each of their aircraft after something inspirational :-)

Image



If you're not already in design work, you should be. What a gorgeous rendition, on both counts. You do really good work. Hopefully something you create winds up on an airplane someday!


I haven't seen one negative response about this which should tell you something, given the reputation for airliners.net livery threads.


Haha thank you it's a really nice surprise that people seem to have taken to my idea so well! It means a lot :-)
:D :D :D :D
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 9490
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:27 pm

777klm wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted yet. Here's a picture of the AMS-SFO route launch a couple of weeks ago.
Two things stand out IMO: the "AIRLINES" added to "UNITED" (like other A-nutters have mentioned) and the recently introduced pattern (of which I don't know the official name).
Image
Source: http://www.anna.aero

Of course the pattern is just the negative space of the globe logo square.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
alggag
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:09 pm

ocaviation wrote:
“Voting should begin by the end of today.” Said United in a Twitter message after I asked them. As some of you said, seeing this will give us a better idea of the livery.


They posted the samples on social media and the tails appear to have been intentionally left blank.

https://hub.united.com/her-art-here-voting/
 
Runway28L
Posts: 1931
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:30 pm

So from what I’m getting at, there will be two B757s getting a special livery (New York and California), and this contest is completely separate from the new livery being revealed?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwIaqnXArp0 ... 6w22j8u0lz
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwIadHcgOCk ... 7b5q6yv3l7
 
JakeWelty
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Looks like the two planes feature less-prominent billboard titles. Is this a hint to what the new livery will look like? I might also rule-out a "Lufthansa-Style" tail design where the paint goes beyond the tail itself. I say that because in the renderings for those special liveries the artwork spans nearly the entire fuselage, including the empennage.
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3552
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:46 pm

alggag wrote:
ocaviation wrote:
“Voting should begin by the end of today.” Said United in a Twitter message after I asked them. As some of you said, seeing this will give us a better idea of the livery.


They posted the samples on social media and the tails appear to have been intentionally left blank.

https://hub.united.com/her-art-here-voting/

They all seem to have the billboard "UNITED" though so it might be safe to say that will be incorporated into the new livery.
 
Sooner787
Posts: 2611
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:01 am

Hell....I'm want to see what this retro 78J will look like

Perhaps Saul Bass Tulip livery in all it's glory?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos