XAM2175

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:37 pm

UA444 wrote:
XAM2175 wrote:
I can't help but get the impression that had UA adopted Rising Blue post-merger all we'd be reading here would be endless "bring back the globe!" :roll:

Why would they petition to bring back CO’s logo?

"had UA adopted Rising Blue post-merger all we'd be reading here would be endless "bring back the globe!""

That is; perverse contrarianism.

Honestly this whole pile of tripe is the some of the most absurd griping I've ever seen and it has done more to sour my opinion of both the current United and its two immediate predecessors than pretty much anything else.

American and US merged and yet I don't see anywhere near the same amount of whinging about how the US brand was retired.
Delta and Northwest merged and yet I don't see anywhere near the same amount of whinging about how the NW brand was pretty much taken out the back of a hanger at ATL and shot.

And by the way, as an Australian who wouldn't have the faintest idea of UA's festering internal discord were it not for being a member here - I like where UA have taken the globe up to now. The current livery is professional and contemporary, and with a nice air of simplicity that lends elegance, and the United name means a lot more to me as a global airline than Continental did.

By comparison, I think Rising Blue was a terrible livery. Battleship was decent but didn't age well, both physically and in concept (especially the serif logotype), and the stripes-on-white business before that can be handed straight back to the '80s.

N649DL

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:38 pm

N415XJ wrote:
Here is a still from the video showing, presumably, the reference image the painters used.

My guess:

1) Tail stays the same, save for the removal of gold from the globe

2) Billboard titles on the fuselage (based on the Her Art Here and Star Wars schemes we've seen)

3) A blue dreamliner swoop across the whole fleet

Y'all do realize they could be using stock footage from 1990s or that video they did from 2010 on the 777 with UA/CO paint transition? I doubt they'd be so careless about getting this leaked by A.net

Blankbarcode

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:46 pm

It's honestly pretty embarrassing over the years to realize it was never quite the globe I hated but rather how they've been using it, especially the gold. I'm glad the gold will be done away with in any case! Albeit the barebones livery rendered or the grey belly with the swoop I think I'll be fairly pleased with the result. United has definitely become a better airline and I'm glad they're doing a refresh to hopefully bring an "unofficial official" departure from their previous issues.

lugie

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:48 pm

XAM2175 wrote:

And by the way, as an Australian who wouldn't have the faintest idea of UA's festering internal discord were it not for being a member here - I like where UA have taken the globe up to now. The current livery is professional and contemporary, and with a nice air of simplicity that lends elegance, and the United name means a lot more to me as a global airline than Continental did.

By comparison, I think Rising Blue was a terrible livery. Battleship was decent but didn't age well, both physically and in concept (especially the serif logotype), and the stripes-on-white business before that can be handed straight back to the '80s.

Exactly, as another foreigner (Germany) to UA's home turf, I can only second those thoughts. The Globe looks much more professional and befitting of an airline of global reach (not just an airline of global reach but the US' #1 airline by intercontinental destinations).
The boxed-in globe they use on boarding passes and other branding materials is very contemporary and stylish. If they indeed end up choosing the livery without the gold accents and adding a (light) blue swoop I can imagine it looking nice and fresh and ready to represent the recent substantial improvements in service.

As for the older liveries my opinions are the exact opposite, I found the rising blue rather nice but the Battleship grey is one of my least favorite altogether, especially in the way it aged.
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW SJO PTY

Airlines0613

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:55 pm

N415XJ wrote:
Here is a still from the video showing, presumably, the reference image the painters used.

My guess:

2) Billboard titles on the fuselage (based on the Her Art Here and Star Wars schemes we've seen)

Guys, if y’all look at the top of the reference image, it seems like the title of it starts with “CON.” I have a feeling this is stock footage when Continental first started painting their aircraft. Plus, I can see a hint of yellow on the tail fin.

dmstorm22

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

My guess:

Guys, if y’all look at the top of the reference image, it seems like the title of it starts with “CON.” I have a feeling this is stock footage when Continental first started painting their aircraft. Plus, I can see a hint of yellow on the tail fin.

Doesn't the globe seem larger there than the CO/UA current globe?

MalcolmInTheMoM

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Honestly, if they keep using swoops like that in their hype videos it's got to be part of the livery. Lostsound's interpretation is classy and much better than what was previously posted on this thread as "the next livery." I'm keeping my fingers crossed and waiting in anticipation for Wednesday's announcement! So long as it's not just billboard titles with a colored in tail (a la LX), or the same but with the tail design draping down onto the fuselage (LH, IB, AZ, EI, AV, TS, on and on), we may all be pleasantly surprised.

Sooner787

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:00 pm

KVH68 wrote:
lostsound wrote:
Quick job:

I think you nailed it. I bet the people monitoring United's social media is scrambling to find out who leaked the image. lol

Change the dark blue swoosh to the light blue swoosh seen on their teaser video,

and I think we have a winner right there :)

QF744

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:13 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
KVH68 wrote:
lostsound wrote:
Quick job:

I think you nailed it. I bet the people monitoring United's social media is scrambling to find out who leaked the image. lol

Change the dark blue swoosh to the light blue swoosh seen on their teaser video,

There will be some purple somewhere in the livery as has been teased by United... possibly on the winglets!
OVER 150 FLIGHTS PER YEAR.

CONTACREW

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:15 pm

QF744 wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
KVH68 wrote:

There will be some purple somewhere in the livery as has been teased by United... possibly on the winglets!

That would be hideous where are you seeing purple?
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

XAM2175

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:18 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:

It could also be CONFIDENTIAL, as another poster has already noted. In my experience with those sorts of charts the title is usually in one of the lower corners.

lugie wrote:
...but the Battleship grey is one of my least favorite altogether, especially in the way it aged.

Oh yeah, I don't think anybody could possibly argue that Battleship held up well. But for the first couple of days after it had been painted I liked it :lol:

KVH68

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:22 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

My guess:

As someone noted earlier, the word on the drawing is CONFIDENTIAL. The yellow is tape.

N649DL

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:13 am

KVH68 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

My guess:

As someone noted earlier, the word on the drawing is CONFIDENTIAL. The yellow is tape.

I still stand by that it could be stock footage. Check out this video starting at 1:19 lot's of paint rendering shots from 1991: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVlNf4Io2Do&t=3s

ocaviation

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:30 am

N649DL wrote:
KVH68 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

I still stand by that it could be stock footage. Check out this video starting at 1:19 lot's of paint rendering shots from 1991: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVlNf4Io2Do&t=3s

But this footage doesn’t look like it’s from the 1990s.

ual763

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:30 am

N649DL wrote:
KVH68 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

Man, that video made me miss the early 90s!
From flying to the NOTAM office

KVH68

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:37 am

N649DL wrote:
KVH68 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

Look at the very beginning of the video at 0:00. You can see an opaque tarp over the left engine. Above that, you can see the first letter of the title. That letter looks more like a "U" than a "C".

panam330

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:55 am

I'm thinking the belly is going to be light blue, not grey...

lugie

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:16 am

QF744 wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
KVH68 wrote:

I did a quick rough-n-ready Photoshop draft of these two inputs (I'm pretty convinced the strip will be light blue, too) and this is the result:

Not too sold on the purple yet but definitely like the light blue and I can imagine the purple growing on me, at the very least adds some much needed color on airports worldwide.
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW SJO PTY

Veigar

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:20 am

Sooner787

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:26 am

Veigar wrote:

Nope, that's standard UA look before it hits the paint barn. The winglets still have the old blue with
a gold stripe

Veigar

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:31 am

Thank you for the quick response.

TrafficCop

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:37 am

This is so much fun watching all this speculation. Good job on keeping a lid on it in this day of instant media!!!

N649DL

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:38 am

ocaviation wrote:
N649DL wrote:
KVH68 wrote:

Why would UA corporate allow something "Confidential" revealing the tail in a video though?!?

CMH2578

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:41 am

N649DL wrote:
ocaviation wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Why would UA corporate allow something "Confidential" revealing the tail in a video though?!?

Because the unveiling is 1.5 days away and the vast majority of people who see the video on twitter would never pick up on the schematic in the background for that 1 second clip. I certainly didn't pick up on it until it was mentioned here.

ocaviation

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:44 am

N649DL wrote:
ocaviation wrote:
N649DL wrote:

This was likely a mistake that slipped by them, or an intentional hint. It's probably also there so the painters know it's confidential. And if that were to be a Continental paper (which I'm very positive it's not), why is there no gold like there was on the CO livery? That footage is too new to be from the 1990s, 100%.

KVH68

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:46 am

N649DL wrote:
ocaviation wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Nothing important was reveled on the tail. Same globe design.

ocaviation

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:48 am

unitedewr737 wrote:
If you look closely and freeze the frame where they are peeling off the tape on the tail, it seems like both shades of United’s blue on their color pállate is there, so at least it won’t be just one shade of blue and then white.

If you're talking about at 13 seconds, the blue is just darkened from the shadow of the paper the painter is peeling off. If you look closely, you can see where the line turns dark is waving. From that clip, it's all the same color. You can also see the same shadow line continue all the way down the white, to the bottom of the screen.

JBo

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:13 am

N649DL wrote:

Okay, then how were they able to render videotape footage in 1991 in full scale, digital HD resolution? If it was actual footage from the '90s, it'd be super blurry and full of video artifacting.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

sohanb82

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:16 am

JBo wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Okay, then how were they able to render videotape footage in 1991 in full scale, digital HD resolution? If it was actual footage from the '90s, it'd be super blurry and full of video artifacting.

What if this clip is actually from 2010-2011 time when UA planes were being repainted in to the "new" livery. It would make sense that a very similar globe would still be there, it is possible that there is gold on the globe, and the aircraft would still say United.

ocaviation

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:20 am

I think the tinfoil hat is being used a little too much here....

I mean, you can even see the gray wave. That's the new livery. That isn't footage from the 1990's or 2010.

intotheair

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:31 am

Chicago Business Journal has a writeup on Wednesday's reveal. Not a whole lot we don't already know, but a few minor details about the ceremony itself.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... point.html

An airline’s livery is one of the most visible aspects of any carrier’s brand image, and the United livery that will be introduced on Wednesday comes at a crucial juncture for the carrier as it seeks to grow its footprint around the world and position itself as a more caring airline that has greatly evolved since that fateful merger in 2010.

United has planned Wednesday’s event to incorporate a broad cross-section of the airline’s workforce who are on the frontlines of that evolution. Some 500 United employees are expected to be present for the unveiling in a United maintenance hangar at the carrier’s largest hub at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, along with representatives from media outlets far and wide.

United leaders, CEO Oscar Munoz and President Scott Kirby, also are expected to be on hand to helm the ceremonial unveiling, though a United spokeswoman has not confirmed either’s attendance.

A full two-hours has been set aside at the giant hangar for the new livery ceremony after attendees are bused from a temporary Transportation Security Administration screening area set up at a United reservations center near the airfield to the maintenance hangar on the airport grounds.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

ldvaviation

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:50 am

If this is it, it reminds me of the packaging the Ralphs grocery store used in the 80's for their generic line of products.

Not looking good.

ocaviation

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:34 am

These are my final predictions. Either purple or blue winglets. "Final Answer"

cruiseshipcrew

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:42 am

Shes flying to Chicago in about an hour and going straight into the hangar. Wednesday should be fun for all involved.
James - Road Warrior

global2

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:06 am

panam330 wrote:
I'm thinking the belly is going to be light blue, not grey...

That would be awesome!

impilot

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:12 am

I think it will look like this after United gets bought. Image

questions

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 am

lugie wrote:
I did a quick rough-n-ready Photoshop draft of these two inputs (I'm pretty convinced the strip will be light blue, too) and this is the result:

Not too sold on the purple yet but definitely like the light blue and I can imagine the purple growing on me, at the very least adds some much needed color on airports worldwide.

Or... what if...

The wavy strip/stripe/cheatline varies!! That is, some aircraft use Dusk, some use Pacific Blue, some use Sky Blue, etc.

Amwest2United

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:46 am

cruiseshipcrew wrote:
Shes flying to Chicago in about an hour and going straight into the hangar. Wednesday should be fun for all involved.

She's out and off - Flying to ORD! ETA ORD - 0239L
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:50 am

impilot wrote:
I think it will look like this after United gets bought. Image

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

B6 couldn’t even come up with enough to outbid AS for VX.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:51 am

Amwest2United wrote:
cruiseshipcrew wrote:

ORD spotters, get those cameras ready!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

kh1

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:11 am

Amwest2United wrote:
cruiseshipcrew wrote:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL2691

UAL 2691

questions

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:25 am

kh1 wrote:
Amwest2United wrote:
cruiseshipcrew wrote:

UAL 2691

Seriously?? UA is going to roll out their new livery on a dumpy 738?

Amwest2United

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:57 am

questions wrote:
kh1 wrote:
Amwest2United wrote:

UAL 2691

Seriously?? UA is going to roll out their new livery on a dumpy 738?

I am guessing that we will see 2 separate aircraft on the 24th, the above mentioned 737-800 and a 787-8... time will tell! That being said, what is so "dumpy" about a 737-800?
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

lydh

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:59 am

They probably planned to do it on a 737-9MAX before they were all grounded...

Pittsburgher

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:00 am

Hope somebody at ORD is up burning the midnight oil with a camera in hand

DeltaB717

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:20 am

lydh wrote:
They probably planned to do it on a 737-9MAX before they were all grounded...

Given MAX aircraft are permitted to be flown for maintenance/ferrying/anything-else-that-isn't-revenue-service, the grounding would not have prevented UA from unveiling the 'evolved' livery on a MAX. Though, to be fair, they might have felt it wasn't a wise move for PR (my personal opinion is they could've easily got around that, too). The reality is they probably had the B738 programmed for this before the MAX grounding.

LAX772LR

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:04 am

Galvan316 wrote:
Why do people have some kind of perverse psychological emotional attachment to the Tulip? Seriously... Its gone, it had its day in the sun, but its over.. Time to move on.

^ This.

WALmsp wrote:
FWIW, I believe Delta's revised livery came out before the merger.

It did.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

77H

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:10 am

ocaviation wrote:

These are my final predictions. Either purple or blue winglets. "Final Answer"

If the engine nacelles are painted blue I wonder if UA will finally paint the engines of the 787 to match the rest of the fleet. Would be a disappointment if not. I’d rather see white nacelles and a unified livery than blue engines on all put the 78.

77H

CarbonFibre

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:17 am

What part of the plane is this? Two shades of blue visible and it's not a trick of the light.

Polot

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:09 am

N649DL wrote:
ocaviation wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Companies frequently “leak” hints like this all the time when rebranding/unveiling a new product, etc to build buzz. It was a very quick shot with the painter covering most of the livery plan except for the tail. The people putting together that video knew exactly what they were doing. And it worked- see how much people here are talking about the livery based on that one second part.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos