Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

unitedewr737

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:09 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
What part of the plane is this? Two shades of blue visible and it's not a trick of the light.

Yeah I mentioned that earlier but others said it was a shadow, but your right the shadow is more on the right and there are two distinct blues that match too closely with United's two blues from the pállate on the left.

777222LR

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:10 pm

The use of purple on the exterior would seem odd to me, and out of place. I've seen how you all have tried to apply it, and I'm not sure any way you do it looks that great. That said, what if the purple, is just being used in the cabin with LED lighting and premium economy seats?

Super80Fan

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:27 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
Does anyone know why UA's marketing team is awful? Here we are in 2019 and they are still keeping the globe. I'm not asking for the tulip to come back, but would it kill the company to come up with an entirely new logo/livery/branding? Delta and American seemed to make it work and criticize them all you want but they all had the blessing of both work groups because it represented a new company, this is just the usual Continental dba United.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my recollection is that Delta’s logo pre-merger was the Widget. And that after the merger the new logo was... the Widget, with some evolutionary changes to the colour palette. I fail to see how retaining and updating an existing logo with an evolved colour palette is good for Delta but somehow awful for United.

V/F

Both Delta & American came out with their new liveries/logos before the mergers were announced. Difference being, they were both brand new clean designs that represented a new company/culture. United literally took Continental's livery/logo and slapped the United name on it.

I am far from a United hater, I've flown on them many times and enjoy them, but the Globe is just Continental and screams of the poor Continental management that screwed the pooch on the merger and the airline. Time for a brand new slate for a brand new United.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

timf

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:30 pm

unitedewr737 wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:
What part of the plane is this? Two shades of blue visible and it's not a trick of the light.

Yeah I mentioned that earlier but others said it was a shadow, but your right the shadow is more on the right and there are two distinct blues that match too closely with United's two blues from the pállate on the left.

There are shadows on both the left and right side. If you look closely at the left, the darker area continues on the same line into the white area.

CDGIAD

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:30 pm

So, no one was able to spot the plane on its night ferry flight to ORD?

777222LR

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:31 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
Does anyone know why UA's marketing team is awful? Here we are in 2019 and they are still keeping the globe. I'm not asking for the tulip to come back, but would it kill the company to come up with an entirely new logo/livery/branding? Delta and American seemed to make it work and criticize them all you want but they all had the blessing of both work groups because it represented a new company, this is just the usual Continental dba United.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my recollection is that Delta’s logo pre-merger was the Widget. And that after the merger the new logo was... the Widget, with some evolutionary changes to the colour palette. I fail to see how retaining and updating an existing logo with an evolved colour palette is good for Delta but somehow awful for United.

V/F

Both Delta & American came out with their new liveries/logos before the mergers were announced. Difference being, they were both brand new clean designs that represented a new company/culture. United literally took Continental's livery/logo and slapped the United name on it.

I am far from a United hater, I've flown on them many times and enjoy them, but the Globe is just Continental and screams of the poor Continental management that screwed the pooch on the merger and the airline. Time for a brand new slate for a brand new United.

To be quite honest, Continental is so far removed from United's passenger's memories at this point, I doubt many of them think of Continental or bad management. I think that would probably only be a select few of us who follow aviation. That said, I follow aviation, and Continental really doesn't come to mind anymore when I see the livery. The thing that makes me think "Continental" at this point is seeing a 777-200 with GE-90 engines on a United aircraft. But that's about it...

splitterz

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:34 pm

777222LR wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

To be quite honest, Continental is so far removed from United's passenger's memories at this point, I doubt many of them think of Continental or bad management. I think that would probably only be a select few of us who follow aviation. That said, I follow aviation, and Continental really doesn't come to mind anymore when I see the livery. The thing that makes me think "Continental" at this point is seeing a 777-200 with GE-90 engines on a United aircraft. But that's about it...

Super weird! I am seeing a lot of 777-200 with GE-90s in ORD now. Bums me out. The pratts spool up on the 777 is one of my favorite sounds!

N766UA

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:48 pm

questions wrote:
kh1 wrote:
Amwest2United wrote:

She's out and off - Flying to ORD! ETA ORD - 0239L

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL2691

UAL 2691

Seriously?? UA is going to roll out their new livery on a dumpy 738?

That’s what AA did.

aerokiwi

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:39 pm

777222LR wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

Ha! That's exactly what occured to me in Shanghai Pudong the other day, as I was being bussed out to my domestic flight, passing by a GE90-powered, United 77E. Love the look of those beasts and reminds me of the days when CO was really rebounding on its international network. Good to know others experience the same.

Also agree re purple on the new UA livery. It's amateur to conbine an aqua blue with navy and that tone of purple, and thinking they'll work. Might be like the red if Cathay Pacific, which appears as a flourish in various applications but nowhere in the livery.

codc10

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:20 pm

It's confidential only from a marketing perspective; there's no fiduciary breach if anything in the video was not intended to be released publicly.

IMO, it's a deliberate teaser. The substantive changes to the livery are still obscured by the gentleman in the harness.

agremeister

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:26 pm

Based on the earlier post with the new tail design visible I threw something together that I think much more closely approximates it than what I saw earlier. It doesn't use the 'simplified' globe and it appears to have some sort of gradient towards the top of the tail, so I tried my best to show that:

gregn21

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:35 pm

agremeister wrote:
Based on the earlier post with the new tail design visible I threw something together that I think much more closely approximates it than what I saw earlier. It doesn't use the 'simplified' globe and it appears to have some sort of gradient towards the top of the tail, so I tried my best to show that:

Can you recreate this but with the simplified globe?

The gradient could also be replicated in the swoop/cheatline as well, maybe even the UNITED titles or the engines/winglets.

FlyHossD

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:39 pm

UA444 wrote:
XAM2175 wrote:
Galvan316 wrote:
Why do people have some kind of perverse psychological emotional attachment to the Tulip?

I can't help but get the impression that had UA adopted Rising Blue post-merger all we'd be reading here would be endless "bring back the globe!" :roll:

Why would they petition to bring back CO’s logo? The issue is that those who are bashing the Tulip fail or ignore to grasp is that the airline is called United and the Tulip is United’s logo. The globe will always be CO’s logo. That’s the problem right there. I would’ve never expected or demanded the Tulip stay if the merged airline was CO.

It’s one thing if they want to go in a new direction and come up with a new logo like AA has, I think most would be on board with that at this point. But the globe is using another airline’s logo and is just a reminder of a botched merger and Jeff Smisek. You’re never not going to think about all of that with the globe.

"The issue is that those who are bashing the Tulip fail or ignore to grasp is that the airline is called United and the Tulip is United’s logo. The globe will always be CO’s logo" No, the Tulip WAS United's logo. Believe it or not, there was a time before the Tulip and United and it's legacy employees (both sides) must move on. Those who don't or can't are a big part of UA's ongoing bickering and the resultant service problems, IMHO.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

agremeister

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:40 pm

The picture shown is clearly not the simplified globe so I don't see much use in mocking that up, you can look at the earlier mockups to see what it would look like though.

Floridaguy74656

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:42 pm

I for one am sad to see the Gold in the Globe leave. I really love that look.
God Bless the United States of America

cruiseshipcrew

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:52 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
UA444 wrote:
XAM2175 wrote:

I can't help but get the impression that had UA adopted Rising Blue post-merger all we'd be reading here would be endless "bring back the globe!" :roll:

Why would they petition to bring back CO’s logo? The issue is that those who are bashing the Tulip fail or ignore to grasp is that the airline is called United and the Tulip is United’s logo. The globe will always be CO’s logo. That’s the problem right there. I would’ve never expected or demanded the Tulip stay if the merged airline was CO.

It’s one thing if they want to go in a new direction and come up with a new logo like AA has, I think most would be on board with that at this point. But the globe is using another airline’s logo and is just a reminder of a botched merger and Jeff Smisek. You’re never not going to think about all of that with the globe.

"The issue is that those who are bashing the Tulip fail or ignore to grasp is that the airline is called United and the Tulip is United’s logo. The globe will always be CO’s logo" No, the Tulip WAS United's logo. Believe it or not, there was a time before the Tulip and United and it's legacy employees (both sides) must move on. Those who don't or can't are a big part of UA's ongoing bickering and the resultant service problems, IMHO.

Perfectly well said. I'm very thankful the former Continental fans don't constantly bicker about bringing back the Continental name like the Tulip people do. This airline is a much better airline than the airline that Tulip represented, especially in its final decade.

Sooner787

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:52 pm

Floridaguy74656 wrote:
I for one am sad to see the Gold in the Globe leave. I really love that look.

Well, it'll take several years for the entire fleet to be repainted, so the classic gold globe
will be around for awhile. :)

rjmf22

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:09 pm

agremeister wrote:

I think that this is probably as close as it'll be to the real thing. Spot on edit!
United Airlines

PA110

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:28 pm

No matter what UA reveals tomorrow, I predict the following:
1. A minuscule fraction of A.net will either like it or not care.
2. The overwhelming majority of A.net will completely lose their minds and claim the new livery is the worst aviation livery disaster since the last airline rebranding.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

JBo

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:31 pm

PA110 wrote:
2. The overwhelming majority of A.net will completely lose their minds and claim the new livery is the worst aviation livery disaster since the last airline rebranding.

I second this prediction and would bet money on this exact response.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

agremeister

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:32 pm

Watching the video again, just looking at some smaller details. They seem to be painting the wings white, which is a nice touch and I appreciate when smaller details like that are considered. The current livery has a nice touch where the wings are painted to match the grey of the underbelly, and its nice to see that hopefully that attention to detail will be maintained.

slider

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:58 pm

JBo wrote:
PA110 wrote:

Yup.

And approximately 93.748% of the entire traveling public won't give a shit anyhow.

gregn21

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:05 pm

slider wrote:
JBo wrote:
PA110 wrote:

Yup.

And approximately 93.748% of the entire traveling public won't give a shit anyhow.

I don’t think I personally know anyone who would know the difference between the current and suspected new livery. It kind of confuses me why UA is even going to spend such a large amount of money repainting over 1000 planes to produce a result that hardly anyone will recognize.

blockski

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:22 pm

gregn21 wrote:
slider wrote:
JBo wrote:

Yup.

I don’t think I personally know anyone who would know the difference between the current and suspected new livery. It kind of confuses me why UA is even going to spend such a large amount of money repainting over 1000 planes to produce a result that hardly anyone will recognize.

1. I think you're wrong about how many people will notice. Will they pay attention to the details? No, of course not - but they absolutely notice the elements of the brand, of which the livery is the most visible.

2. I wouldn't assume they're going to spend a large amount of money at all. Planes need to be repainted on a regular basis anyway (every 5-7 years, IIRC); UA will be taking new deliveries, etc. The idea that this is an excessive cost (particularly when it's an evolution of the existing branding - they're not changing the logo, or re-naming the airline, etc). is without evidence.

musman9853

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:28 pm

PA110 wrote:

i feel personally attacked
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

dmstorm22

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:32 pm

gregn21 wrote:
slider wrote:
JBo wrote:

Yup.

I think we all have a bad habit of giving the general flying public too little credit for what they realize. A livery especially. I absolutely think even small changes like what are being discussed are apparent enough for people that have flown United recently to notice.

Same thing when people say the average flier doesn't know the difference between plane type A vs. plane type B - and I do think in some cases they know. Sure, they don't know the difference between a 777-300 and 777-200, but I think your average flier on a B777 knows that is a big plane, bigger than a B767.

itripreport

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:35 pm

CDGIAD wrote:

Believe it or not people sleep at 3 AM, that aside I believe instagrammer DieCastJames was the only person to get a close up of the new livery, depending of what you would define as a close up:

questions

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:38 pm

agremeister wrote:
Watching the video again, just looking at some smaller details. They seem to be painting the wings white, which is a nice touch and I appreciate when smaller details like that are considered. The current livery has a nice touch where the wings are painted to match the grey of the underbelly, and its nice to see that hopefully that attention to detail will be maintained.

That video may just be a distraction, created simply to generate buzz in anticipation of the new livery rolling out. Said another way, design elements spotted in the video may not reflect the actual design.

agremeister

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:57 pm

On the topic of the new livery, I think UA is approaching this the right way - as opposed to AA's rebrand a few years ago. They've already started updating interiors, nearly all of their planes have at the very least the new seat covers, and more and more of their longhaul fleet are getting the new business class product. Now that they've reached a 'critical mass' of updated planes, it makes sense to begin repainting them to provide an external visual of the changes being made.

AA on the other hand started painting planes right away - before any major cabin updates had taken place. If there's anything passengers do notice, it's thinking "Oh wow our plane looks so nice and shiny in its new livery - oh wait, it's the same shit inside. Figures."

It's about setting expectations. A bright shiny new livery better be matched with a nice new interior. When they come together, passengers notice - better to be pleasantly surprised with an old looking exterior with a nice new interior instead of the opposite.

OB1504

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:59 pm

VC10er wrote:
I don’t think that revealing a new livery on a 737 is a good idea. While UA one day may have hundreds of them, they have the bragging rights to being a very global airline with some nice large new wide bodies. They don’t really have a “flagship” aircraft like the glory days of a 747, but rolling out a 787 or 77W would be FAR more impressive and further underscore their global reach. It would be tantamount to Lufthansa unveiling their new livery on an A321.
Also, rolling it out on a 737MAX (a grounded airplane for the moment) makes it even a bit more silly

Why? American rolled out their new livery on a 737 (with an unpainted 777 sitting behind it) and Delta rolled theirs out on a domestic 757. Doesn’t seem to have hurt either of them.

strfyr51

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
KVH68 wrote:
lostsound wrote:
Quick job:

I think you nailed it. I bet the people monitoring United's social media is scrambling to find out who leaked the image. lol

Change the dark blue swoosh to the light blue swoosh seen on their teaser video,

and I think we have a winner right there :)

I would not paint the wing tips blue. Other than that? It's a fine paint scheme!!

Airlines0613

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:07 pm

itripreport wrote:
CDGIAD wrote:

Believe it or not people sleep at 3 AM, that aside I believe instagrammer DieCastJames was the only person to get a close up of the new livery, depending of what you would define as a close up:

I don’t see anything but darkness on that picture.

questions

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:08 pm

agremeister wrote:
On the topic of the new livery, I think UA is approaching this the right way - as opposed to AA's rebrand a few years ago. They've already started updating interiors, nearly all of their planes have at the very least the new seat covers, and more and more of their longhaul fleet are getting the new business class product. Now that they've reached a 'critical mass' of updated planes, it makes sense to begin repainting them to provide an external visual of the changes being made.

AA on the other hand started painting planes right away - before any major cabin updates had taken place. If there's anything passengers do notice, it's thinking "Oh wow our plane looks so nice and shiny in its new livery - oh wait, it's the same shit inside. Figures."

It's about setting expectations. A bright shiny new livery better be matched with a nice new interior. When they come together, passengers notice - better to be pleasantly surprised with an old looking exterior with a nice new interior instead of the opposite.

As well as improving operational execution.

This re-branding effort is also about the employees — i.e., this IS United moving forward.

commpilot

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:10 pm

So a blue stripe and the globe will be 3 tone blue, literally just replacing the gold with another shade of blue?

KLMatSJC

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
itripreport wrote:
CDGIAD wrote:

I watched the actual video. Not much more there either.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

Judge1310

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:15 pm

777222LR wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

I agree. Although I'm an industry vet, I see the Globe and I think "Cool, they're truly a global carrier"; and I'd venture to say that most "regular" customers would think the same.

Now Copa Airlines? That's a whole other thing. I definitely think of old CO when I see their logo and airline font (although it is changing as well).

I get that most folks on here are AvGeeks and that's cool and all...but one has to keep in mind that branding is for the hundreds of millions of customers out there who couldn't care less whether an engine was PW or RR or if a logo had gold on it. It's the *experience* they have with the carrier that matters.

cruiseshipcrew

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:27 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
itripreport wrote:

I watched the actual video. Not much more there either.

It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. People on Instagram were talking about who would spot it first and the plane was flying into ORD in the distance.

ryanrap1

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:36 pm

When will the actual new livery be revealed?

rjmf22

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:40 pm

ryanrap1 wrote:

Tomorrow morning. Not sure if a time was specified.
United Airlines

Airlines0613

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:55 pm

I’m not going to lie, but UA has done an amazing job at keeping the new livery a secret and preventing leaks. I’m also surprised how no one managed to get a glimpse in the newly painted B738.

Kudos to UA!

ocaviation

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:58 pm

ryanrap1 wrote:

The event starts tomorrow at 12 PM Chicago time.

jetblastdubai

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:05 pm

ryanrap1 wrote:

Do we know if it's an entirely new livery or just an 'evolved' globe?

Airlines0613

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:17 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
ryanrap1 wrote:

Do we know if it's an entirely new livery or just an 'evolved' globe?

The title of the forum says it all.

jakubz

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
... UA has done an amazing job ...

Kudos to UA!

Words I thought I would never read on A.Net. Music to my ears, err eyes!!!
KORD>RJAA>KORD day trip? Why not! The beauty of SA!
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Flown: PA-28, PA-38
Passenger on: A319/A320, A380, 737, 747-400, 757, 767, 777, 787-8/9
Finally got on a 747!

My comment are my own. I don't speak for any company.

agremeister

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Good news everyone, I managed to find a leak of the actual design. Here it is! Looks like they decided to take some cues from Alaska.

Last edited by agremeister on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sooner787

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:43 pm

[url][/url]
agremeister wrote:
Good news everyone, I managed to find a leak of the actual design. Here it is! Looks like they decided to take some cues from Alaska.

Must have stealth coating on it cause I can't see anything LOL

ScottB

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:48 pm

PA110 wrote:

Nope on 2. There's absolutely no way the UA livery can match the sheer ugliness of the new AA livery.

hic787

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:00 pm

ocaviation wrote:
ryanrap1 wrote:

The event starts tomorrow at 12 PM Chicago time.

Will the event be live-streamed, perchance? Can't wait to sink my teeth into this updated scheme.

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:14 pm

agremeister wrote:

Hehehehe well done!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

jumpseat67

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:30 pm

I will envision....block letters, light colored belly with perhaps a "wavy" darker colored cheatline. Thinking maybe darker colored engines and an updated tail but not down the fuselage. Just a guess.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos