ocaviation

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:39 pm

impilot wrote:
ocaviation wrote:

Ok..... 3.5 hours later. Here's the requests and a few more added in. Ignoring my sub-par photoshop skills, what do you think of the livery on these aircraft?

Hope you all enjoy!

*Images not to scale.*

Very nice...still would like to see the A321, A220-300, and E190 to see what the post B6 merger fleet will look like. Or will that be when they do the revolutionary, not evolutionary livery?

Ah! That’s right. I’ll do those today.

ocaviation

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:41 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
ocaviation wrote:

Ok..... 3.5 hours later. Here's the requests and a few more added in. Ignoring my sub-par photoshop skills, what do you think of the livery on these aircraft?

Hope you all enjoy!

*Images not to scale.*

These are amazing; really like the look on the extremes - the 77W looks great, and the RJ fleet looks really nice.

If I can make one more request (honestly, you're awesome for pulling all these), can we get a A350-900?

I’ll do one today.

impilot

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:57 pm

ocaviation wrote:
impilot wrote:
ocaviation wrote:

Hope you all enjoy!

*Images not to scale.*

Very nice...still would like to see the A321, A220-300, and E190 to see what the post B6 merger fleet will look like. Or will that be when they do the revolutionary, not evolutionary livery?

Ah! That’s right. I’ll do those today.

Ha I’m mostly stirring the pot. But would be cool to see. Don’t spend too much time on it though!

DenverTed

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:48 pm

I liked the stripe better from the 60s livery versus the dreamliner swoop. They should fix that.

rj777

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:02 pm

I have a feeling that the Express fleet will look similar to American Eagle..... the titles will be below the window.

sspontak

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:03 pm

Looking good on the CR-7.

Antarius

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:09 pm

I'm a fan. I think they did a good job keeping the heritage branding but making it look not-dated.

Munoz continues to impress in his improvement and unwinding of the Smisek disaster.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD MEL DEN BLR MAA DEL KTM YYZ MEX

NYPECO

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:20 pm

Looks real good on the Express fleet.

Noise

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:41 pm

ocaviation wrote:
ocaviation wrote:

There were requests to paint other aircraft in the new livery... so after about 2.5 hours and burning eyes from looking at the screen, here's a 757-200, A320, and CRJ-700 (Express) in the new livery. Hope you all enjoy!

If anybody has any requests for an aircraft you want to see the livery on, reply to this. As you can see, I’ve already done the 757-200, A320, and CRJ-700.

Where are they?

ER757

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:10 pm

CDGIAD wrote:
ocaviation wrote:

Hope you all enjoy!

*Images not to scale.*

Thanks, that's really nice!

I find the livery to look best on longer aircraft like the 77W or 764, as the billboard title is in front of the engine and not above it, on shorter aircraft like the 320 that's just too much blue on the mid fuselage part.

I know that this livery tries to incorporate elements from rising blue livery like the blue shading and blue engines, but I thing the blue engines are too much.
The big titles and colorful tail are enough.
On RJ blue engines are fine though.

I agree - fits the 77W and the 789 and 10 better than the shorter aircraft. Still think the wavy line's too dark, should have made it the same color blue as the globe IMO.

brewair

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:46 pm

https://twitter.com/mikecherisk/status/ ... 18240?s=21

787-8 in new livery
Definitely fake but it still got me at first. Haha

MalcolmInTheMoM

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:54 pm

Noise wrote:
Where are they?

Yeah I'm with you Noise. Where are these pictures? From what people are saying it sounds like they look great, but I can't see them either. It just says "Image."

prchan

Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 pm

It is showing fine for me...
This is the link for the photo posted:http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2d9b6ud&s=9#.XMNi2S_My7Y

MalcolmInTheMoM

Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:08 pm

prchan wrote:
This is the link for the photo posted:http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2d9b6ud&s=9#.XMNi2S_My7Y

Wow! Thanks! It must be a problem with a certain type of computer. I love the 757-200 in that livery.

coleblue11

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:03 pm

Try internet explorer on your PC. That worked for me to view the images which I love btw. Didn't seem to show up on chrome.

N649DL

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:11 pm

MalcolmInTheMoM wrote:
prchan wrote:

Wow! Thanks! It must be a problem with a certain type of computer. I love the 757-200 in that livery.

The new scheme does look good on the 757 mockup, except for the "E" over the exit door.

tpaewr

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:18 pm

Antarius wrote:
I'm a fan. I think they did a good job keeping the heritage branding but making it look not-dated.

Munoz continues to impress in his improvement and unwinding of the Smisek disaster.

For a moment I was thinking if only Oscar had been there from the start. But he sat on the BOD at CAL when Larry walked away from the first merger because they knew what bad combo it was going to be beyond the route map.

Once Larry suddenly “retires” it was just a matter of finding someone at CO willing to pull the trigger (Tilton had been ready long ago). Smisek came with the added “bonus” of being obsessed with cost cutting and didn’t give a sh*t about either airlines legacy.

But then, he is a lawyer.

questions

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:28 pm

The titling is spaced too far apart.

U N I T E D

I’m surprised the marketing folks didn’t catch this. From a brand perspective, and to more deeply connect with the mass target on an emotional level, something like this should have been used:

UNITED

Most branding experts would agree that the closer spacing between letters is more reflective of the brand promise in the main cabin.

Texas77

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:47 pm

Antarius wrote:

I agree on the livery, I'm a fan. The swoop and colors look more modern than the old livery. Looks sharp on the 744, too bad we'll never see it (unless they merge with PIA or something)

TransWorldOne

Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:40 pm

questions wrote:

U N I T E D

I’m surprised the marketing folks didn’t catch this. From a brand perspective, and to more deeply connect with the mass target on an emotional level, something like this should have been used:

UNITED

Most branding experts would agree that the closer spacing between letters is more reflective of the brand promise in the main cabin.

I don't think the traveling would ever make this connection, but clever observation. There is certainly a bit of irony there.

The new livery is fine and a perfectly appropriate update to the existing one. I am personally happy to see them moving away from the CO carbon copy paint.

AtomicGarden

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:12 am

It's decent, nothing spectacular, but still better than before. I do not like the big UNITED, a smaller and different font above the windows would've been nicer IMO.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

GE90man

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:13 am

prchan wrote:

I like this. It looks better than the actual livery at first glance, probably due to the fact that the blue swoop is much closer to the grey belly than the actual livery.

ord

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:39 am

questions wrote:

U N I T E D

UNITED

An agency like Priestmangoode would not miss something like this, it was intentional. The U N I T E D spacing is identical to how United is spaced out in all other applications, from airport signage to boarding passes to the website, etc. If the livery spacing was changed it would no longer match the rest of the branding.

What's interesting is U N I T E D was also spaced out in the 1950s and 1960s, so what they have now (and began using in 2010) actually very closely matches what United used to have. Even the Pentagram-designed branding had U N I T E D spaced out.

ocaviation

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:30 am

The 787-8 that was suspected to be in the new livery was spotted arriving in SFO in the old livery. N30913.

TWA772LR

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:39 am

questions wrote:

U N I T E D

UNITED

I'm 6'2" and flew UA 2 days ago in regular Y. It's not that bad.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

rj1385

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:44 am

With so many 757s, I definitely think we will see some painted.

questions

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:54 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
questions wrote:

U N I T E D

UNITED

I don't think the traveling would ever make this connection, but clever observation. There is certainly a bit of irony there.

The new livery is fine and a perfectly appropriate update to the existing one. I am personally happy to see them moving away from the CO carbon copy paint.

Jk

questions

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:54 am

ord wrote:
questions wrote:

U N I T E D

UNITED

An agency like Priestmangoode would not miss something like this, it was intentional. The U N I T E D spacing is identical to how United is spaced out in all other applications, from airport signage to boarding passes to the website, etc. If the livery spacing was changed it would no longer match the rest of the branding.

What's interesting is U N I T E D was also spaced out in the 1950s and 1960s, so what they have now (and began using in 2010) actually very closely matches what United used to have. Even the Pentagram-designed branding had U N I T E D spaced out.

Jk

767333ER

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:09 am

Well it’s an improvement because it’s a little more change than just a rebadged Continental livery, but it already looks 10 years out of date and... yeah... cheap! I mean that’s the paint I expect to see on a plane with an all Y jammed in cattle class cabin. I will give them this though, they dumped the gold, they used a lot of paint that isn’t white, and they kinda brought back a little of the rising blue colour palate a bit. It almost looks like this was designed for the merger, but then just shelved until now.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T

VC10er

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:19 pm

questions wrote:

U N I T E D

UNITED

HONEST! Not being combative!
With all due respect for your opinion: And I say this from only a branding professional POV: more letter spacing vs tighter letter spacing has nothing to do with the norms or “best practices” of branding. Most branding experts would not agree. It is perhaps absolutely a matter of personal design choice, and in that regard totally valid. However, it is absolutely NOT a branding “mistake” that someone didn’t catch. It would have zero impact on the brand promise. If anything it would be seen as more contemporary for such an ordinary name like the word “United” and give it some character.

In fact, on a purely professional level, if there was discussion around the letter spacing, (I do not know who designed the new United livery) a well educated and senior branding professional, and a “Typeofile” given the UNITED would often be viewed from a distance, especially if in low altitude flying, more letter spacing would be far more readable than tight kerning. The human eye at 20/20 would more likely see an unreadable blue rectangle from a distance. Freshman year in design college, both semesters, is devoted to learning typography only. Herb Lubalin and Tom Carnase were my instructors - to them, all of humanity was predicated on TYPE! Lol

At Landor, depending on the typeface and application, “sometimes” more than one spacing versions would be created. Ex: One for the livery, and billboards (large applications) and one for every other application that would be seen close up, unless the spaced out version was preferred as far more often than not, spaced out ALL CAPS is considered more contemporary. (This doesn’t rule out bad type can’t happen - I always thought the “NORTHWEST” on “bowling shoe” was not well done, but nor do know that story well, although the NW symbol was among the best symbols ever designed!

One piece of type trivia: often on a large billboard off a highway, a pea sized dot is placed about 3 inches from the sharp point of each letter, your eye won’t see the dot, but it will make the letter appear more crisp at the point! (Example one pea sized dot at each point of a Cap “E” will make the 5 foot “E” look more crisply pointed)- so a well spaced UNITED (no dot) is the right decision.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

tpaewr

Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:29 pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qXcHNdDWxftKasTv5

It is funny, I am borrowing someone’s office this week in EWR and look what I found! A sneak peek of the new livery from 2007!! Haha

questions

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:34 pm

VC10er wrote:
questions wrote:

U N I T E D

UNITED

HONEST! Not being combative!
With all due respect for your opinion: And I say this from only a branding professional POV: more letter spacing vs tighter letter spacing has nothing to do with the norms or “best practices” of branding. Most branding experts would not agree. It is perhaps absolutely a matter of personal design choice, and in that regard totally valid. However, it is absolutely NOT a branding “mistake” that someone didn’t catch. It would have zero impact on the brand promise. If anything it would be seen as more contemporary for such an ordinary name like the word “United” and give it some character.

In fact, on a purely professional level, if there was discussion around the letter spacing, (I do not know who designed the new United livery) a well educated and senior branding professional, and a “Typeofile” given the UNITED would often be viewed from a distance, especially if in low altitude flying, more letter spacing would be far more readable than tight kerning. The human eye at 20/20 would more likely see an unreadable blue rectangle from a distance. Freshman year in design college, both semesters, is devoted to learning typography only. Herb Lubalin and Tom Carnase were my instructors - to them, all of humanity was predicated on TYPE! Lol

At Landor, depending on the typeface and application, “sometimes” more than one spacing versions would be created. Ex: One for the livery, and billboards (large applications) and one for every other application that would be seen close up, unless the spaced out version was preferred as far more often than not, spaced out ALL CAPS is considered more contemporary. (This doesn’t rule out bad type can’t happen - I always thought the “NORTHWEST” on “bowling shoe” was not well done, but nor do know that story well, although the NW symbol was among the best symbols ever designed!

One piece of type trivia: often on a large billboard off a highway, a pea sized dot is placed about 3 inches from the sharp point of each letter, your eye won’t see the dot, but it will make the letter appear more crisp at the point! (Example one pea sized dot at each point of a Cap “E” will make the 5 foot “E” look more crisply pointed)- so a well spaced UNITED (no dot) is the right decision.

I was totally playing; not serious. It was in reference to the every shrinking seat pitch in Y.

ODwyerPW

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:44 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
Here's a quick modification I did on Paint. What do you guys think?

I so wish they would actually do one of the planes just like this.
learning never stops.

ord

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:20 pm

There a few great photos of the new livery outside at O’Hare at #beingunited.

777Jet

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:01 am

I like the tail. Don't like the forward half of the plane though.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

strfyr51

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:08 am

unitedewr737 wrote:
Here is a pic of it out in daylight at ORD before its flight to LAX, found this on instagram feed, and I gotta say when its from the side and out in the open, looks sleek
and the blues really work together, represents United well.

[img]ht
'0ps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/33814569678_1ccdd2353c_b.jpg[/img]

The theme for that paint job was "Rhapsody in Blue" That's why they got rid of the Gold. It looks to be a petty good paint scheme to maintain as well..
It doesn't do a damn bit of good to repaint an airplane if the paint job can't be maintained.

adambrau

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:36 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
My efforts:

Either of these would have been so much better - nice work! I think the swoosh and the billboard 'United' and the tail globe are all individually fine elements. But together they're disconnected and a mess - it screams LCC which is not to diss LCC's, but more to the point that UA is not branding itself as an LCC. Disappointing!
Let's keep the skies friendly.

TWA772LR

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:58 am

adambrau wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:
My efforts:

Either of these would have been so much better - nice work! I think the swoosh and the billboard 'United' and the tail globe are all individually fine elements. But together they're disconnected and a mess - it screams LCC which is not to diss LCC's, but more to the point that UA is not branding itself as an LCC. Disappointing!

Id love to see the rising blue portion of toys livery in a swoosh of anyone can do that. IMO that would look great with the white (original style, not watered down) globe.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

N649DL

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:00 am

tpaewr wrote:
Antarius wrote:

For a moment I was thinking if only Oscar had been there from the start. But he sat on the BOD at CAL when Larry walked away from the first merger because they knew what bad combo it was going to be beyond the route map.

Once Larry suddenly “retires” it was just a matter of finding someone at CO willing to pull the trigger (Tilton had been ready long ago). Smisek came with the added “bonus” of being obsessed with cost cutting and didn’t give a sh*t about either airlines legacy.

But then, he is a lawyer.

Munoz is just another executive like Smisek, just more a people person. He was on the board of CAL but least offensive in trying to solidly merge both UAL / CAL together (and was likely the pick to do so since he was most pro-employee regardless of subsidiary.)

That said, his handing of Dao from a P.R. perspective was just aloof and rude. And while he did bridge two work groups together, I would've thought he'd be gone by now in favor of Kirby running the joint. Munoz comes off as arrogant in some ways as well, and certainly no disciple at all.

He's only there because he officially tied sCO and sUA together by being the correct middle man. The only other choice back in early 2016 was Bethune, which would've been a disaster since he's so pro-Continental, anti-Legacy UAL and nearly senile. And one must think how chaotic internal matters were back in early 2016 to ever hire a 74-year old CEO again. That's like AA going into BK in 2011-2012 and calling up Robert Crandall for advice.

I'm all for cleaning house in Chicago, and don't trust Kirby as much as I could throw him either.

VC10er

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:56 pm

adambrau wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:
My efforts:

IMHO: This is by far the BEST version of the best U N I T E D branding. Sadly, it would have never been approved as it would be TOO MUCH like "Shades of Blue" and viewed as a step backwards. Although, I'd argue that VERY, VERY FEW of the general flying population would have realized it, because MOSTLY people don't really notice such things (Ex: how much of the Gen Pop is like us?),
Also, "Shades of Blue" was actually never painted fleet wide, nor around long enough, and gone for enough years that recall from the average person would be very, very low.

This livery, it is SOOOO U N I T E D, but with a more refined look that would work much harder to bolster UA's new goal of being the most premium focused airline (at least from PE up to Polaris, lol)
Who ever created this livery... want to work with my agency?

DenverTed

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Why don't they do some hybrid swish stripe where they feather it down from about the front door and feather it up to the tail cone from about the rear door and have it level in between?
I think it looks better level under the lettering.
Also could go with a grey belly and engines if they want the stripe and tail to stand out more.

VC10er

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:33 pm

Yonderlust wrote:
I dislike the matchy matchy engine, winglets and tail. I like this particular shade of blue but overall this refreshed livery seems completely uninspired. I'm sure they used in-house marketing department along with outside branding agencies. A better path would be to get submittals from fashion designers, musicians, architects and the like. Stay away from these corporate marketing wanks.

Hello Yonderlust, I am a "corporate marketing wank" and damn well proud of it. Many people in my field would probably just laugh you off. I will take some time to explain a bit.
I started out as a designer in 1980 at the age of 20, at a small agency on Madison Ave. It was not a very good one, but it was "experience", A gentleman there named Joe Esposito took me under his wing. I would say he was in his mid 50's. Joe had personality flaws (a very bad temper and no filters) that held him back from becoming more than a Senior Designer at a small Madison Ave agency, but that had nothing to do with his talent or intelligence. Joe was there after had a very impressive career working in "branding" design. He told me in 1980 that there was one design agency (this was before the words: "Brand or Branding" really meant anything) and that this single agency was lightyears ahead of any other design agency, the very best, the largest and ONLY global design agency in the world. It was the agency who brought great importance to what we do as designers for our clients, and that what we do is a CRITICAL driver of business, "as critical as ADVERTISING". That statement was (at that time) simply OUTRAGEOUS. The BIG agencies were the "originators and keepers" of a brand, be it OREO cookies, Ford, dog food or an AIRLINE. That agency was Landor. I learned everything I could about them and made a goal for myself, that I would find jobs at lesser places for 10 years, but use the projects they had as a way to build a portfolio good enough to get a job there. Finally, in 1991, I had built the confidence to interview there, and was on cloud 9 that I got the job. Landor, at that time was also the global leader in airline branding. Basically, Walter Landor pitched Alitalia in the mid 1960's on the idea that the aircraft itself was like a "package" design, or flying Ad. Like a bottle of Coca-Cola or like a famous brand of cosmetics, and sold them on the idea that how the aircraft looked, telegraphed to the consumer what the brand about, not just another metal airplane with a name and flag of origin. I worked for 24 years either with or along side with some of these brilliant people. - to think of most of them as "wonks" or that the best of these designers as "less than creative" as Fashion Designer or architect blows my mind. The folks I know who did Landor BA and Cathay etc, etc were geniuses...especially Peter Knapp. (If I was CEO of a major airline, I'd call him FIRST!)

I don't know what you profession is, what your area of expertise is, but there is an excellent chance I would NOT be in a position to make calls about how to do what you do better. However, I would place an enormous bet against having thousands of solutions being submitted willy-nilly from people OUTSIDE your area of expertise is a better idea than consulting with experts who have many, many years of experience in your profession, got the benefit of what they learned through trial and error elsewhere who truly understand how things work in your profession.

You can dislike this UA livery, "design" all you want and why, and you would not be wrong as opinions are not fact or science. But frankly you are taking extremely smart, experienced and very talented people and throwing them ALL under a bus because you don't like this livery means that you don't understand or lack the knowledge of what marketing professionals, brand and branding designers actually do. And, I would be remiss not to mention, disrespectful and hurtful.

TWA772LR

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:34 pm

VC10er wrote:
adambrau wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:
My efforts:

IMHO: This is by far the BEST version of the best U N I T E D branding. Sadly, it would have never been approved as it would be TOO MUCH like "Shades of Blue" and viewed as a step backwards. Although, I'd argue that VERY, VERY FEW of the general flying population would have realized it, because MOSTLY people don't really notice such things (Ex: how much of the Gen Pop is like us?),
Also, "Shades of Blue" was actually never painted fleet wide, nor around long enough, and gone for enough years that recall from the average person would be very, very low.

This livery, it is SOOOO U N I T E D, but with a more refined look that would work much harder to bolster UA's new goal of being the most premium focused airline (at least from PE up to Polaris, lol)
Who ever created this livery... want to work with my agency?

I think you underestimate the power of public memory in regards to United. During the Dr. Dao thing a lot of memes were made, and more than naught had a United plane in Shades of Blue.

VC10er

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:41 pm

Perhaps, however I seriously doubt the branding design stuck to the horrible situation. The name UNITED, for sure, not the design. I have done a ZILLION focus groups sharing new designs with consumers for a famous brand to get their reaction, (half of whom had been screened to be current heavy users of the brand, the rest occasional users or never used) only to witness their shock and surprise when we finally show them the "current branding" - it is shocking how low recall is for some very famous brands, perhaps they will recall some visual assets, but frankly it is not something that people have a photo in their heads. One research practice to help find out what equity elements have "stuck" (before we start design) is to do a "write and draw" - give consumers magic markers and paper and ask them to draw (from memory) what an airline, chain restaurant, or package good, logo etc looks like. Yes, Coke will be red with a script, Golden Arches for McDonald's, but I bet half of them would not draw a red triangle for Delta, even if they prefer Delta over others. When I worked on PEPSI, people were able to reach for the red magic marker right away, for PEPSI, they did not know what color it was (they drew a ball) but that was it. So, we recommended BLUE, and I got a once in a lifetime chance to work with Concorde!

I remember when I worked for Pizza Hut, most people drew what they all called the "red hat" quite well (they were shocked when told it was the roof of a Pizza Hut"), when we asked them to draw Papa John's, they could NOT draw a logo, however they drew tomatoes, cheese, chef hats - that was very scary Pizza Hut. They drew Papa John's "better ingredients" equity, not the logo.

As for the Dr Dao incident, at least back then, people would NOT have drawn the United branding, surely write the name "UNITED" and a bloodied man being dragged off. So, no, I really don't think the livery, and the design above would NOT bring back the horrible memory of Dr Dao, or the broken guitar. That disaster tarnished the NAME, not Shades of Blue.

It is so fascinating to me how so many people state what they think is wrong with the new UNITED livery as a FACT,. It is a FACT that the engines should have been purple or grey, or the wavy line should be straight, etc, etc...and not recognize it is personal opinion? Years ago "IMHO" was always used on a,net, today, not so much.

Has anyone noticed that there are thousands of colors of paint at a paint store, or Home Depot and there is a reason for that? Have you ever experienced something like this: you see and think quietly to yourself something is totally awesome and brilliant, only for a friend of business colleague point out very same thing and say "Is that not the ugliest thing you've ever seen, what a horrible idea" (?)

I personally think (in my OPINION) that the "general" - "overall" new United livery should have been more premium looking. I like the fact that it has become much more UNITED, colorful, and not a Frankenstein that it has been since the merger. The reason I prefer the image of the 777 is that the "overall" look is more premium, yet still very UNITED-like.

AirFiero

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:50 pm

I don’t care for it, and here’s why..

The United logotype is too broken up by the windows. It looks like it’s been shot full of holes.

The globe - making it larger makes it look less like a globe and more like some sort of fancy but undefined object. Removing the gold makes this worse.

Overall, it seems really plain and unremarkable.

On the positive side, the swoop looks nice, as does the gradient of blue on the tail.

x1234

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:55 pm

Complete waste of time. It doesn't change anything drastically and I liked the old UA/CO livery better.

Elshad

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:02 pm

I think Copa will be forced to update otherwise it will look weird. They should do the same basic livery but with a Panama red cheatline. I think it will look neat and match their national colours (red, white and blue)

N649DL

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:15 pm

VC10er wrote:
Yonderlust wrote:
I dislike the matchy matchy engine, winglets and tail. I like this particular shade of blue but overall this refreshed livery seems completely uninspired. I'm sure they used in-house marketing department along with outside branding agencies. A better path would be to get submittals from fashion designers, musicians, architects and the like. Stay away from these corporate marketing wanks.

Hello Yonderlust, I am a "corporate marketing wank" and damn well proud of it. Many people in my field would probably just laugh you off. I will take some time to explain a bit.
I started out as a designer in 1980 at the age of 20, at a small agency on Madison Ave. It was not a very good one, but it was "experience", A gentleman there named Joe Esposito took me under his wing. I would say he was in his mid 50's. Joe had personality flaws (a very bad temper and no filters) that held him back from becoming more than a Senior Designer at a small Madison Ave agency, but that had nothing to do with his talent or intelligence. Joe was there after had a very impressive career working in "branding" design. He told me in 1980 that there was one design agency (this was before the words: "Brand or Branding" really meant anything) and that this single agency was lightyears ahead of any other design agency, the very best, the largest and ONLY global design agency in the world. It was the agency who brought great importance to what we do as designers for our clients, and that what we do is a CRITICAL driver of business, "as critical as ADVERTISING". That statement was (at that time) simply OUTRAGEOUS. The BIG agencies were the "originators and keepers" of a brand, be it OREO cookies, Ford, dog food or an AIRLINE. That agency was Landor. I learned everything I could about them and made a goal for myself, that I would find jobs at lesser places for 10 years, but use the projects they had as a way to build a portfolio good enough to get a job there. Finally, in 1991, I had built the confidence to interview there, and was on cloud 9 that I got the job. Landor, at that time was also the global leader in airline branding. Basically, Walter Landor pitched Alitalia in the mid 1960's on the idea that the aircraft itself was like a "package" design, or flying Ad. Like a bottle of Coca-Cola or like a famous brand of cosmetics, and sold them on the idea that how the aircraft looked, telegraphed to the consumer what the brand about, not just another metal airplane with a name and flag of origin. I worked for 24 years either with or along side with some of these brilliant people. - to think of most of them as "wonks" or that the best of these designers as "less than creative" as Fashion Designer or architect blows my mind. The folks I know who did Landor BA and Cathay etc, etc were geniuses...especially Peter Knapp. (If I was CEO of a major airline, I'd call him FIRST!)

I don't know what you profession is, what your area of expertise is, but there is an excellent chance I would NOT be in a position to make calls about how to do what you do better. However, I would place an enormous bet against having thousands of solutions being submitted willy-nilly from people OUTSIDE your area of expertise is a better idea than consulting with experts who have many, many years of experience in your profession, got the benefit of what they learned through trial and error elsewhere who truly understand how things work in your profession.

Seriously, great story! I think I'm in a similar path as I graduated from Film School in L.A. 10-years ago but now work for a publicly traded Marketing Digital Agency. I do implementations on various Marketing Automation Software Platforms but do a lot of creative asset mock-ups as well.

To the user that is referring to UAL's marketers as "wonks," well, I'd probably have to agree. On the consulting side, I could potentially see working with them as a bit of a nightmare. It just seems politically motivated, thick glass ceiling type of corporate work culture. If this is the color scheme that they view as "evolutionary" I dare wonder what games are played inside of Willis Tower on a daily basis.

That said, in marketing client facing work over the last 5+ years the most difficult types to deal with are the I.T. side of the house at least in my experience.

flight152

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:36 pm

x1234 wrote:
Complete waste of time. It doesn't change anything drastically and I liked the old UA/CO livery better.

You’re the clear minority. Most believe it’s at least an improvement.

N766UA

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:44 pm

Elshad wrote:
I think Copa will be forced to update otherwise it will look weird. They should do the same basic livery but with a Panama red cheatline. I think it will look neat and match their national colours (red, white and blue)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Copa’s ties to CO/UA end when they sold their shares? Why would Copa continue to follow UA’s branding when they have absolutely nothing to do with one another?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos