unitedewr737
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:58 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:44 pm

AVENSAB727 wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
The first 737max in the new United livery is now out of the shop, I got pictures of it. It’s not a great picture as I took a photo of the camera screen, I wanted to make sure I was the first to post it. I will make sure to upload a better version tonight, but here it is for now...

https://twitter.com/gerardiaviation/sta ... 5851585536

Looks the the 787 wavy line is a lighter shade of blue?


It looks like it but I really hope not, that’s WAY too much “United Blue”, I think the navy looks better as a) it breaks up the United Blue and b) it blends in better towards the black of the plane when the navy gradient is on the tail.
 
gregn21
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:53 pm

General question- why doesn’t UA repaint all of their already delivered MAX’s while it won’t further interrupt flight scheduling? (Not to say they are moving forward with any other types at a blazing pace either)
 
unitedewr737
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:58 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:56 pm

gregn21 wrote:
General question- why doesn’t UA repaint all of their already delivered MAX’s while it won’t further interrupt flight scheduling? (Not to say they are moving forward with any other types at a blazing pace either)


They would if their goal was a fast repaint, but they said they would do it over the normal course of repaints which is about 7 years. Big waste of money to replace perfectly good paint even if it isn’t the new livery.
 
Coalways
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:39 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:41 pm

gregn21 wrote:
General question- why doesn’t UA repaint all of their already delivered MAX’s while it won’t further interrupt flight scheduling? (Not to say they are moving forward with any other types at a blazing pace either)


That would be a wast of money to repaint an already freshly painted aircraft. That’s like buying a brand new car and the following week u want to change the color just because.
 
beachbum1970
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:24 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:03 am

RE: Looks like the 787 wavy line is a lighter shade of blue?

Sure looks like it in the Twitter post of the 737MAX. I like it. The wavy line is the one thing that is bothering me with the new livery. It looks BLACK and the color seems out of place with the rest of the color palette of the UNITED titles, engines and tail. By matching the color of the wavy line with the rest of the lighter blues of the lettering and tail/engines gives it a more cohesive look. I hope this is the new livery going forward. I still wish the wavy line was more like the 787 line though, flowing OVER the wings and gradually widening as it continues toward the rear of the fuselage.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7832
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:06 am

beachbum1970 wrote:
RE: Looks like the 787 wavy line is a lighter shade of blue?

Sure looks like it in the Twitter post of the 737MAX. I like it. The wavy line is the one thing that is bothering me with the new livery. It looks BLACK and the color seems out of place with the rest of the color palette of the UNITED titles, engines and tail. By matching the color of the wavy line with the rest of the lighter blues of the lettering and tail/engines gives it a more cohesive look. I hope this is the new livery going forward. I still wish the wavy line was more like the 787 line though, flowing OVER the wings and gradually widening as it continues toward the rear of the fuselage.


I agree, IF the blue line is the same colour as the titles then I think that is a big improvement. The dark blue (almost black) line was too much IMHO and jarred with the rest of the livery. This looks a lot more holistic and flows better.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:08 pm

As I promised, here is the better quality picture of the first 737max in the new United livery.

https://twitter.com/gerardiaviation/sta ... 7196092416

With the better quality one you can clearly see the reg. And also that there is still some gold on the aircraft (look at the inside of the winglets)
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
ord
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 1999 10:34 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks for sharing the photo. Clearly the winglet is from the old livery and for whatever reason it was not repainted. I can’t imagine it will stay like that. As others have pointed out, it’s interesting the wave is a different shade of blue. I wonder if this is a permanent change to the new livery.
 
DC8FanJet
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:25 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:23 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
As I promised, here is the better quality picture of the first 737max in the new United livery.

https://twitter.com/gerardiaviation/sta ... 7196092416

With the better quality one you can clearly see the reg. And also that there is still some gold on the aircraft (look at the inside of the winglets)


That would be an error, there is No Gold, expect that will be quickly fixed.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:12 pm

Looks like they got rid of the "Blue Rhapsody" shade both in the swoop and in the tail gradient. I don't think that's a good tradeoff.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
OB1504
Posts: 3652
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:47 pm

unitedewr737 wrote:
gregn21 wrote:
General question- why doesn’t UA repaint all of their already delivered MAX’s while it won’t further interrupt flight scheduling? (Not to say they are moving forward with any other types at a blazing pace either)


They would if their goal was a fast repaint, but they said they would do it over the normal course of repaints which is about 7 years. Big waste of money to replace perfectly good paint even if it isn’t the new livery.


7 years? AA was able to do their repaints in 4 years.

intotheair wrote:
Looks like they got rid of the "Blue Rhapsody" shade both in the swoop and in the tail gradient. I don't think that's a good tradeoff.


Or perhaps the paint shop made a mistake given that the winglets are painted in the previous livery.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4070
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:30 pm

There are many levels of branding in terms of change, depending on the situation with a brand (is business slowing, flat, declining or in a death spiral?). Or, there is “new news, innovation or product improvement and last: have your primary competitors de-positioned you with a fresh bold look (making your brand look old) or someone entered your category in a block buster way that disrupted the ENTIRE category and in one fell swoop wrecked every other brand in the category. Not the case here.

That said aviation brand/branding fundamentals are the same regardless: (ALL brands from Coke vs Pepsi, to M&Ms vs Reese’s Pieces, Mercedes vs BMW, United vs Delta & AA)- at the most fundamental levels, they are all BRANDS, all decent brands represent a promise to a consumer: McDonalds will be MaDonalds: whether it’s the one near where you live in New Jersey, or São Paulo or Budapest. At a higher level, a Park Hyatt, or Four Seasons in San Francisco or booking either someplace you’ve never been before will provide you with a promise of a certain level of consistency and comfort, luxury etc in knowing what your getting when you reserve a room in Hanoi (I don’t know if there is a Four Seasons or Park Hyatt in Hanoi) I just wanted to choose a less obvious city. PanAm created the Intercontinental Hotel, because they wanted to be sure in 1971 that if you flew PanAm to Teheran, or Kenya their American passengers would have the guarantee of a a hotel with American cultural
familiarity.

Again: No, I’m not in love with the new United livery, I personally as a Creative Director would have done a few things differently. But even if the one I created was selected- it would be loved, disappoint or be hated. IT IS UNAVOIDABLE.

The REAL and improving United brand is based solely on how the entire 3600 UA experience is changing. Not because of graphical changes. United is doing well now because so much has improved. (Yet still a few years away from reaching its fullest potential)
Polaris and new check-in process and look, new airport experiences, better gates and seating, on the premium level both the new UC & Polaris Lounges and Premium seats are far better, happier and friendly customer service is improving, the renovated ac plus NEW aircraft are beautiful (more steady and positive PR like their stellar equality programs - what they are doing for women and PRIDE month is making headlines as is are all the new exciting routes and more.) Better record in lost luggage etc, etc. Providing consistently across such a large and complex and expensive category as a major airline is NOT easy!
The new livery doesn’t do much more than signal a freshness, a new refreshed United brand. They were not in a death spiral, but were indeed ranked last. That had to change, and finally they are and the new livery says that enough. (Although I’m a bit surprised about PriestmanGoode as 1: they are not really a branding agency in this way, 2 they skew more upscale, so I’d have assumed the livery would’ve been more premium looking.

I will say this: at the very LEAST, United does look very different than all its closest competitors. United, love or hate the livery, in no way does it look similar to another airline. Differentiation is basically a good thing
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
dfwneedsqf
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:31 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:06 am

Is there a repaint tracker thread up yet?
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9425
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:11 am

OB1504 wrote:
unitedewr737 wrote:
gregn21 wrote:
General question- why doesn’t UA repaint all of their already delivered MAX’s while it won’t further interrupt flight scheduling? (Not to say they are moving forward with any other types at a blazing pace either)


They would if their goal was a fast repaint, but they said they would do it over the normal course of repaints which is about 7 years. Big waste of money to replace perfectly good paint even if it isn’t the new livery.


7 years? AA was able to do their repaints in 4 years.

AA also dumped a lot of their older planes without repainting them while receiving a ton of new planes. With fleets the size of the US3, repainting them is going to take a while. UA has 781 (according to Wikipedia) mainline planes. To get that repainted in 4 years means they have to paint ~4 planes a week. That is a lot to ask for, especially as that is not also considering their Express fleet.
 
User avatar
BWIAirport
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41 am

dfwneedsqf wrote:
Is there a repaint tracker thread up yet?

Here you go: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1421137
Next flight: October 17 DL2641 BWI-ATL B739
October 17 DL2607 ATL-TPA B752

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3882
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:33 pm

N649DL wrote:
I took another look at the E175 after the post "glare" comment. It looks better upon a second look, mainly for the tail compared to the 738.

This is one color scheme where I look at it and it from different angles based on the dimensions and go back and fourth on how I feel about it. Sort of like DL's "Wavy Gravy" scheme or even the recent AA livery by comparison.

It's not an aspiring paint scheme but it's certainly more interesting to look at than the former. I'm wishing to make it's debut soon on a 777 or 757. The 738 was the wrong choice for the release scheme. It just doesn't fit the aircraft in terms of sizing.


Image
Image
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 8304
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:31 pm

I saw the 737-800 taxiing at EWR as my flight arrived in the other direction on the adjacent taxiway . One thing I will say is that it doesn't hold up well in a sea of the other livery., which surprised me. because I thought I quite liked it in photos. Of course, once it gains a foothold in the repaints then it may make the older livery look as bad as the Battleship grey did after the last repaint, but I don't think so.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
jworks158
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:08 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
dfwneedsqf wrote:
Is there a repaint tracker thread up yet?

Here you go: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1421137


You can also check out the united fleet website which is fantastic: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/home

Another pic of the 737-8 Max is out:https://twitter.com/royalscottking/status/1140686202908991489

And another 737-8 Max with just the vertical stabilizer painted: https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/status/1140121777575616514
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
User avatar
seabosdca
Posts: 6495
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:19 pm

jworks158 wrote:
Another pic of the 737-8 Max is out:https://twitter.com/royalscottking/status/1140686202908991489

And another 737-8 Max with just the vertical stabilizer painted: https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/status/1140121777575616514


These are all 737 MAX 9 frames.
 
Sooner787
Posts: 2538
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:19 pm

Saw pic on A.net yesterday of another UA Max 9 in new livery .... looked like it was at RNT or BFI, so I guess we now have
2 Max 9's in full paint and 1 ( 2 ) more at RNT awaiting paint ?
 
unitedewr737
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:58 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:55 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
Saw pic on A.net yesterday of another UA Max 9 in new livery .... looked like it was at RNT or BFI, so I guess we now have
2 Max 9's in full paint and 1 ( 2 ) more at RNT awaiting paint ?


Can you post the link? Can’t find on the website anywhere.
 
User avatar
Amwest2United
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:36 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:32 pm

jworks158 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
dfwneedsqf wrote:
Is there a repaint tracker thread up yet?

Here you go: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1421137


You can also check out the united fleet website which is fantastic: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/home

Another pic of the 737-8 Max is out:https://twitter.com/royalscottking/status/1140686202908991489

And another 737-8 Max with just the vertical stabilizer painted: https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/status/1140121777575616514


Interestingly enough, the Winglets are the old paint scheme, or at least they appear to be with the gold stripe.
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!
 
rjmf22
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:35 pm

Amwest2United wrote:
jworks158 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:


You can also check out the united fleet website which is fantastic: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/home

Another pic of the 737-8 Max is out:https://twitter.com/royalscottking/status/1140686202908991489

And another 737-8 Max with just the vertical stabilizer painted: https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/status/1140121777575616514


Interestingly enough, the Winglets are the old paint scheme, or at least they appear to be with the gold stripe.


They were most likely in the process of painting it in the livery with the gold swoop, and then the new livery came out.
United Airlines
 
Sooner787
Posts: 2538
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:42 pm

unitedewr737 wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
Saw pic on A.net yesterday of another UA Max 9 in new livery .... looked like it was at RNT or BFI, so I guess we now have
2 Max 9's in full paint and 1 ( 2 ) more at RNT awaiting paint ?


Can you post the link? Can’t find on the website anywhere.


It's in this thread, post 1758 :)
 
jworks158
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:16 pm

seabosdca wrote:
jworks158 wrote:
Another pic of the 737-8 Max is out:https://twitter.com/royalscottking/status/1140686202908991489

And another 737-8 Max with just the vertical stabilizer painted: https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/status/1140121777575616514


These are all 737 MAX 9 frames.

Yup that was a typo
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
jworks158
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:05 pm

The new livery made its first visit to ROC yesterday. I am amazed by how good the livery looks in person especially in the grey weather we had.

Pictures by me: https://twitter.com/theOrangetechie/status/1141895011560230917
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
SXDFC
Posts: 1963
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Hopefully the link works.. First CR7 in the new livery..

https://www.instagram.com/p/By-wzcbhmEH ... 1s0vka4t9m
 
CDGIAD
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:38 pm

SXDFC wrote:
Hopefully the link works.. First CR7 in the new livery..

https://www.instagram.com/p/By-wzcbhmEH ... 1s0vka4t9m


Nice ! Really reminds me of Rising Blue.

What surprises me is that the swoosh line seems to be in the darker rhapsody blue on the CR7 and not in United blue like the 737MAX we saw painted.

The swoosh line in United blue is more coherent IMO.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3463
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:54 pm

CDGIAD wrote:
SXDFC wrote:
Hopefully the link works.. First CR7 in the new livery..

https://www.instagram.com/p/By-wzcbhmEH ... 1s0vka4t9m


Nice ! Really reminds me of Rising Blue.

What surprises me is that the swoosh line seems to be in the darker rhapsody blue on the CR7 and not in United blue like the 737MAX we saw painted.

The swoosh line in United blue is more coherent IMO.

and the "swooshiness" for a lack of a better word, seems more pronounced probably due to the shorter fuselage length
 
Sooner787
Posts: 2538
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:29 pm

CDGIAD wrote:
SXDFC wrote:
Hopefully the link works.. First CR7 in the new livery..

https://www.instagram.com/p/By-wzcbhmEH ... 1s0vka4t9m


Nice ! Really reminds me of Rising Blue.

What surprises me is that the swoosh line seems to be in the darker rhapsody blue on the CR7 and not in United blue like the 737MAX we saw painted.

The swoosh line in United blue is more coherent IMO.


Yeah... looks like that UA Max 9 might need a return visit to the paint shop to correct that swoosh ,
and paint the winglets properly.
 
rjmf22
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:50 pm

SXDFC wrote:
Hopefully the link works.. First CR7 in the new livery..

https://www.instagram.com/p/By-wzcbhmEH ... 1s0vka4t9m


Looks incredible!
United Airlines
 
CRJ200flyer
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:41 am

Image

I have crude photo editing skills, but here’s a basic concept I made expanding the globe and adding titles to the winglets. Really wish they’d do something like this.

https://www.facebook.com/commercialaviationinfographics
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3882
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:48 am

CRJ200flyer wrote:
Image

I have crude photo editing skills, but here’s a basic concept I made expanding the globe and adding titles to the winglets. Really wish they’d do something like this.

https://www.facebook.com/commercialaviationinfographics


It looks good from only one angle though. It’s hard to get the globe to wrap around the empennage.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
questions
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:18 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
As I promised, here is the better quality picture of the first 737max in the new United livery.

https://twitter.com/gerardiaviation/sta ... 7196092416

With the better quality one you can clearly see the reg. And also that there is still some gold on the aircraft (look at the inside of the winglets)


The swoosh cheatline on the above aircraft looks blue, not the dark purple as seen on this one:
https://mobile.twitter.com/theOrangetechie/status/1141895011560230917

Perhaps the color of the swoosh cheatline will vary across the fleet??

Also, maybe it’s my OCD but the distance between the swoosh cheatline and the gray paint is greater just in front of the wing. Why is it not consistent along the fuselage? Looks sloppy.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4070
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:09 pm

questions wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
As I promised, here is the better quality picture of the first 737max in the new United livery.

https://twitter.com/gerardiaviation/sta ... 7196092416

With the better quality one you can clearly see the reg. And also that there is still some gold on the aircraft (look at the inside of the winglets)


The swoosh cheatline on the above aircraft looks blue, not the dark purple as seen on this one:
https://mobile.twitter.com/theOrangetechie/status/1141895011560230917

Perhaps the color of the swoosh cheatline will vary across the fleet??

Also, maybe it’s my OCD but the distance between the swoosh cheatline and the gray paint is greater just in front of the wing. Why is it not consistent along the fuselage? Looks sloppy.


It might look “sloppy” to you, and your opinion matters. But I’m certain that how the wavy line and the changing negative space between it and the grey was intentionally designed to be that way, vs (say) exactly 6 inches apart from nose to tail.
Actually I really dislike the wave very much for other reasons, but it was not due to sloppiness.

To me: everything is too much. Every element is fighting for attention. Imagine a tuner/equalizer for a nice stereo sound system, there are many dials or many sliders (up and down) controls to get your classical, hard rock or jazz, disco, etc to enhance each genre. Depending on the kind of music, you adjust each dial carefully, volume, bass, treble, etc to achieve the right balance.
To me, as a graphic designer by trade, everything dial or slider are all at MAX (no pun) - it looks like design by committee. No place to rest your eyes, I think the tail is an improvement and I like the large branding, but add blue nacelles, double wavy line and blue winglet- it’s all just too much. Everything else at United is becoming more tasteful, modern and sophisticated. The livery looks like nobody yelled “STOP” soon enough! (To me)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
questions
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:35 am

VC10er wrote:
It might look “sloppy” to you, and your opinion matters. But I’m certain that how the wavy line and the changing negative space between it and the grey was intentionally designed to be that way, vs (say) exactly 6 inches apart from nose to tail.
Actually I really dislike the wave very much for other reasons, but it was not due to sloppiness.

To me: everything is too much. Every element is fighting for attention. Imagine a tuner/equalizer for a nice stereo sound system, there are many dials or many sliders (up and down) controls to get your classical, hard rock or jazz, disco, etc to enhance each genre. Depending on the kind of music, you adjust each dial carefully, volume, bass, treble, etc to achieve the right balance.
To me, as a graphic designer by trade, everything dial or slider are all at MAX (no pun) - it looks like design by committee. No place to rest your eyes, I think the tail is an improvement and I like the large branding, but add blue nacelles, double wavy line and blue winglet- it’s all just too much. Everything else at United is becoming more tasteful, modern and sophisticated. The livery looks like nobody yelled “STOP” soon enough! (To me)


That sentence nails it for me! (See bold font.) I’ve been struggling to articulate my reaction to UA’s new livery and this is it. I thought it would grow on me but it hasn’t. Every time I see it I have the same unsettling feeling — that every element is fighting for attention.
 
tpaewr
Posts: 697
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:11 am

VC10er wrote:
There are many levels of branding in terms of change, depending on the situation with a brand (is business slowing, flat, declining or in a death spiral?). Or, there is “new news, innovation or product improvement and last: have your primary competitors de-positioned you with a fresh bold look (making your brand look old) or someone entered your category in a block buster way that disrupted the ENTIRE category and in one fell swoop wrecked every other brand in the category. Not the case here.

That said aviation brand/branding fundamentals are the same regardless: (ALL brands from Coke vs Pepsi, to M&Ms vs Reese’s Pieces, Mercedes vs BMW, United vs Delta & AA)- at the most fundamental levels, they are all BRANDS, all decent brands represent a promise to a consumer: McDonalds will be MaDonalds: whether it’s the one near where you live in New Jersey, or São Paulo or Budapest. At a higher level, a Park Hyatt, or Four Seasons in San Francisco or booking either someplace you’ve never been before will provide you with a promise of a certain level of consistency and comfort, luxury etc in knowing what your getting when you reserve a room in Hanoi (I don’t know if there is a Four Seasons or Park Hyatt in Hanoi) I just wanted to choose a less obvious city. PanAm created the Intercontinental Hotel, because they wanted to be sure in 1971 that if you flew PanAm to Teheran, or Kenya their American passengers would have the guarantee of a a hotel with American cultural
familiarity.

Again: No, I’m not in love with the new United livery, I personally as a Creative Director would have done a few things differently. But even if the one I created was selected- it would be loved, disappoint or be hated. IT IS UNAVOIDABLE.

The REAL and improving United brand is based solely on how the entire 3600 UA experience is changing. Not because of graphical changes. United is doing well now because so much has improved. (Yet still a few years away from reaching its fullest potential)
Polaris and new check-in process and look, new airport experiences, better gates and seating, on the premium level both the new UC & Polaris Lounges and Premium seats are far better, happier and friendly customer service is improving, the renovated ac plus NEW aircraft are beautiful (more steady and positive PR like their stellar equality programs - what they are doing for women and PRIDE month is making headlines as is are all the new exciting routes and more.) Better record in lost luggage etc, etc. Providing consistently across such a large and complex and expensive category as a major airline is NOT easy!
The new livery doesn’t do much more than signal a freshness, a new refreshed United brand. They were not in a death spiral, but were indeed ranked last. That had to change, and finally they are and the new livery says that enough. (Although I’m a bit surprised about PriestmanGoode as 1: they are not really a branding agency in this way, 2 they skew more upscale, so I’d have assumed the livery would’ve been more premium looking.

I will say this: at the very LEAST, United does look very different than all its closest competitors. United, love or hate the livery, in no way does it look similar to another airline. Differentiation is basically a good thing




I am curious, what is your opinion on the brand impact of the gutting of Polaris. It is basically PMUA biz class with a CO sundae cart at this point
 
EChid
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:31 pm

Polot wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
unitedewr737 wrote:

They would if their goal was a fast repaint, but they said they would do it over the normal course of repaints which is about 7 years. Big waste of money to replace perfectly good paint even if it isn’t the new livery.


7 years? AA was able to do their repaints in 4 years.

AA also dumped a lot of their older planes without repainting them while receiving a ton of new planes. With fleets the size of the US3, repainting them is going to take a while. UA has 781 (according to Wikipedia) mainline planes. To get that repainted in 4 years means they have to paint ~4 planes a week. That is a lot to ask for, especially as that is not also considering their Express fleet.

Keep in mind that it's also about the value derived from the re-paint from a marketing/brand perspective. AA repainted quickly because they were integrating two brands into one and needed to a) paint the US Airways ASAP to avoid customer confusion and b) Create the sense of one strong cohesive/modern/not-like-it-was AA brand.

UA doesn't need to do that. All their planes are suitably branded as United. This livery constitutes a light refresh, not a heavy makeover. There's no rush and no reason to speed paint jobs along unnecessarily. Especially when you have freshly delivered MAX, 787s, and 777s that don't need it.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J
 
VC10er
Posts: 4070
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:46 am

tpaewr wrote:
VC10er wrote:
There are many levels of branding in terms of change, depending on the situation with a brand (is business slowing, flat, declining or in a death spiral?). Or, there is “new news, innovation or product improvement and last: have your primary competitors de-positioned you with a fresh bold look (making your brand look old) or someone entered your category in a block buster way that disrupted the ENTIRE category and in one fell swoop wrecked every other brand in the category. Not the case here.

That said aviation brand/branding fundamentals are the same regardless: (ALL brands from Coke vs Pepsi, to M&Ms vs Reese’s Pieces, Mercedes vs BMW, United vs Delta & AA)- at the most fundamental levels, they are all BRANDS, all decent brands represent a promise to a consumer: McDonalds will be MaDonalds: whether it’s the one near where you live in New Jersey, or São Paulo or Budapest. At a higher level, a Park Hyatt, or Four Seasons in San Francisco or booking either someplace you’ve never been before will provide you with a promise of a certain level of consistency and comfort, luxury etc in knowing what your getting when you reserve a room in Hanoi (I don’t know if there is a Four Seasons or Park Hyatt in Hanoi) I just wanted to choose a less obvious city. PanAm created the Intercontinental Hotel, because they wanted to be sure in 1971 that if you flew PanAm to Teheran, or Kenya their American passengers would have the guarantee of a a hotel with American cultural
familiarity.

Again: No, I’m not in love with the new United livery, I personally as a Creative Director would have done a few things differently. But even if the one I created was selected- it would be loved, disappoint or be hated. IT IS UNAVOIDABLE.

The REAL and improving United brand is based solely on how the entire 3600 UA experience is changing. Not because of graphical changes. United is doing well now because so much has improved. (Yet still a few years away from reaching its fullest potential)
Polaris and new check-in process and look, new airport experiences, better gates and seating, on the premium level both the new UC & Polaris Lounges and Premium seats are far better, happier and friendly customer service is improving, the renovated ac plus NEW aircraft are beautiful (more steady and positive PR like their stellar equality programs - what they are doing for women and PRIDE month is making headlines as is are all the new exciting routes and more.) Better record in lost luggage etc, etc. Providing consistently across such a large and complex and expensive category as a major airline is NOT easy!
The new livery doesn’t do much more than signal a freshness, a new refreshed United brand. They were not in a death spiral, but were indeed ranked last. That had to change, and finally they are and the new livery says that enough. (Although I’m a bit surprised about PriestmanGoode as 1: they are not really a branding agency in this way, 2 they skew more upscale, so I’d have assumed the livery would’ve been more premium looking.

I will say this: at the very LEAST, United does look very different than all its closest competitors. United, love or hate the livery, in no way does it look similar to another airline. Differentiation is basically a good thing




I am curious, what is your opinion on the brand impact of the gutting of Polaris. It is basically PMUA biz class with a CO sundae cart at this point


I have flown Polaris a lot from the early days of 77W’s doing transcontinental testing to international. Then the 763 and a few 787-10s.

It’s clear that United was overzealous at the start. It was almost TOO MUCH! Then there was a reasonable pull back so there was less fanfare and more peace and quiet. It was supposed to be the sky warrior’s dream, dial down the luxuries and create a better work/sleep space. Then the Polaris Lounges came and knocked everyone’s socks off. They are great: Especially EWR and LAX.
But as a hardcore United Polaris flier, and a branding professional who at heart is a designer, I really do notice every tiny bit that goes away. While nothing BIG has gotten pulled yet- I do fear it. If they decided to save 3 cents per amenity kit by telling the “socks suppler” to remove the rubber printed threads form the foot of the socks, and change the decent UNITED branded pen to a 3 inch, single use disposable pen and remove the old CO comb, and reduce the toothpaste tube so it is barely big enough for Ken and Barbie...it’s tantamount to COGS reduction of probably 50 cents a kit, for a $6000 to $14000 seat, that is an early warning sign. I know folks DO NOT SELECT AN AIRLINE OVER AN AMENITY KIT! Not consciously anyway. The beautiful Priestman Goode Polaris bulkhead branding is now gone.
I would say that fliers paying around $8k to $15k for Polaris might not be able to put their finger on it exactly, but on a subconscious level get the “feeling” of a diluted experience, it will open up mind space for those premium fliers to consider Cathay or Lufthansa or Delta.
This ZZB budgeting (Zero Based Budgeting) that’s a practice that’s migrated from Private Equity to publicly traded companies, causes short term gain thinking. It’s up to Oscar and the Board not to be seduced by the cost cutters. Many CFO’s (not all) don’t understand the power of a brand. It’s amorphous to them, and virtually impossible to place an asset value on a brand.
Let’s face it, the name “UNITED AIRLINES” was seriously tarnished, however the name POLARIS has been growing in value, and helping polish the UNITED brand.
It really cannot be calculated with great accuracy, but ask Fred Smith how much money would it take for him to SELL the name and identity for FedEx?
The name UNITED AIRLINES may actually be worth a lot more today than 8/9 years ago, but if they don’t cave in and save $3 million here and $20 million there by removing premium pax stuff, but INSTEAD add $23 million - the ROI will come. (BTW: I just made up those numbers) But the ROI is often not fast enough for the next Quarterly call.

Time will tell. 10 years from now will UNITED maintain its vision, ethos and innovative, or backslide in cheapo land 2 ply nylon eyeshades, and serve diner food at a tatty looking Polaris Lounge? But give out more miles per trip instead?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
UA444
Posts: 2782
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:24 am

EChid wrote:
Polot wrote:
OB1504 wrote:

7 years? AA was able to do their repaints in 4 years.

AA also dumped a lot of their older planes without repainting them while receiving a ton of new planes. With fleets the size of the US3, repainting them is going to take a while. UA has 781 (according to Wikipedia) mainline planes. To get that repainted in 4 years means they have to paint ~4 planes a week. That is a lot to ask for, especially as that is not also considering their Express fleet.

Keep in mind that it's also about the value derived from the re-paint from a marketing/brand perspective. AA repainted quickly because they were integrating two brands into one and needed to a) paint the US Airways ASAP to avoid customer confusion and b) Create the sense of one strong cohesive/modern/not-like-it-was AA brand.

UA doesn't need to do that. All their planes are suitably branded as United. This livery constitutes a light refresh, not a heavy makeover. There's no rush and no reason to speed paint jobs along unnecessarily. Especially when you have freshly delivered MAX, 787s, and 777s that don't need it.

Oh, but when all the planes said United pre merger everyone on A.net was losing their minds and licking their chops to trash UA at every chance they could. But when the livery that’s being replaced is CO’s, it’s no big deal to take their sweet time and is the smart, prudent thing to do.
 
tpaewr
Posts: 697
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:31 am

UA444 wrote:
EChid wrote:
Polot wrote:
AA also dumped a lot of their older planes without repainting them while receiving a ton of new planes. With fleets the size of the US3, repainting them is going to take a while. UA has 781 (according to Wikipedia) mainline planes. To get that repainted in 4 years means they have to paint ~4 planes a week. That is a lot to ask for, especially as that is not also considering their Express fleet.

Keep in mind that it's also about the value derived from the re-paint from a marketing/brand perspective. AA repainted quickly because they were integrating two brands into one and needed to a) paint the US Airways ASAP to avoid customer confusion and b) Create the sense of one strong cohesive/modern/not-like-it-was AA brand.

UA doesn't need to do that. All their planes are suitably branded as United. This livery constitutes a light refresh, not a heavy makeover. There's no rush and no reason to speed paint jobs along unnecessarily. Especially when you have freshly delivered MAX, 787s, and 777s that don't need it.

Oh, but when all the planes said United pre merger everyone on A.net was losing their minds and licking their chops to trash UA at every chance they could. But when the livery that’s being replaced is CO’s, it’s no big deal to take their sweet time and is the smart, prudent thing to do.




I wouldn’t say it is replacing the CO livery as much as dumbing it down.

Updating the gold with silver would have been much better but I am sure this was the cheaper option.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4070
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:45 pm

tpaewr wrote:
UA444 wrote:
EChid wrote:
Keep in mind that it's also about the value derived from the re-paint from a marketing/brand perspective. AA repainted quickly because they were integrating two brands into one and needed to a) paint the US Airways ASAP to avoid customer confusion and b) Create the sense of one strong cohesive/modern/not-like-it-was AA brand.

UA doesn't need to do that. All their planes are suitably branded as United. This livery constitutes a light refresh, not a heavy makeover. There's no rush and no reason to speed paint jobs along unnecessarily. Especially when you have freshly delivered MAX, 787s, and 777s that don't need it.

Oh, but when all the planes said United pre merger everyone on A.net was losing their minds and licking their chops to trash UA at every chance they could. But when the livery that’s being replaced is CO’s, it’s no big deal to take their sweet time and is the smart, prudent thing to do.




I wouldn’t say it is replacing the CO livery as much as dumbing it down.

Updating the gold with silver would have been much better but I am sure this was the cheaper option.


Right after the merger there was no PERFECT solution in terms of name or branding design. The CO livery design and globe symbol, and retaining UNITED, upset everyone, if it was reversed, keep Continental and Shades of Blue with a giant “U” symbol would have been really strange. They could have changed the name to UNITAL and win the “Worst name EVER award”
Since EVERYTHING is about money, what they did was cheapest and fastest, and while nobody was happy, there was a decent rationale that at the least sounded somewhat rational. The closest to 50/50 as they could get: while there were far bigger fish to fry. And the livery update could wait until everyone’s hysteria calmed down, both loyal customer groups and internal.
Not so long after I started seeing new treatments of the globe, super graphics of it blown up, a zillion tulips disappearing virtually overnight.
I saw 2 big commitments early on: doubling down on the CO globe and UNITED name.
Years of problems and bumps big and small
Smisek out/Oscar in
Polaris announcement
Global First going away and move towards CO’s 2 class cabins
More bumps
Then slowly but surely a turn around in many ways.
But I don’t think they have diluted the globe with the refreshed (or whatever) livery, the globe and traces of it are EVERYWHERE! And today I’d bet in blind research (alone with no name) the globe would strongly representative of UNITED. Maybe not as strong as Micky Mouse Head/Ears, but close to where the tulip once was as a brand identifier. I don’t think it’s a particularly good design, a bit too complex vs PanAm, but I would bet it has really stuck!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
jworks158
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:51 pm

United has started Re-Painting Mainline:

From the UA fleet website https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/out-of-service-aircraft

738:N39297 left AMA on 9/2/19 in the new livery

At AMA:
319: N876UA possibly en route from XMN via NRT/ANC/ORD, former China Southern B-6040, Induction into UA fleet
738: N13248 entered 8/23/19, paint
738: N73291 entered 9/2/19, paint
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
sspontak
Posts: 577
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:42 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:14 pm

Glad to see the re-painting has started. This certainly is a very slow re-painting schedule. Any reason for the slow re-painting schedule?
 
User avatar
drerx7
Posts: 4380
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2000 12:19 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:16 pm

Summer season coupled with MAX woes.
HOUSTON, TEXAS
 
Sooner787
Posts: 2538
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:18 pm

sspontak wrote:
Glad to see the re-painting has started. This certainly is a very slow re-painting schedule. Any reason for the slow re-painting schedule?


UA has been squeezed by the MAX groundings , so they needed every available airframe over the summer months.

I'm hoping once the MAX's are back in service and UA has a little more slack in their fleet,

the repainting sked will pick up steam :)
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:36 pm

jworks158 wrote:
United has started Re-Painting Mainline:

From the UA fleet website https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/out-of-service-aircraft

738:N39297 left AMA on 9/2/19 in the new livery

At AMA:
319: N876UA possibly en route from XMN via NRT/ANC/ORD, former China Southern B-6040, Induction into UA fleet
738: N13248 entered 8/23/19, paint
738: N73291 entered 9/2/19, paint


I'm seeing 752 N14102 entering tonight as well. I don't know if that will be one of the special schemes.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
jworks158
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:33 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
jworks158 wrote:
United has started Re-Painting Mainline:

From the UA fleet website https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/out-of-service-aircraft

738:N39297 left AMA on 9/2/19 in the new livery

At AMA:
319: N876UA possibly en route from XMN via NRT/ANC/ORD, former China Southern B-6040, Induction into UA fleet
738: N13248 entered 8/23/19, paint
738: N73291 entered 9/2/19, paint


I'm seeing 752 N14102 entering tonight as well. I don't know if that will be one of the special schemes.


Also I have confirmation via instagram that the A319 is still in the china southern livery, which means it will likely be the first Airbus in the new scheme. Also it was last spotted at ORD today.

I don't expect the 752 which is inbound to get the special scheme because it doesn't appear to be one of the premium service planes.
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos