OccupiedLav

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 pm

426Shadow wrote:
Funny, I remember these same kind of reactions to every single livery change that has happened over the last 15 years, and everyone got used to it in the end.

Claim you hate it? Wait 2 years and we wont hear a peep from you about it.

You will hear about it, but you probably won't hear as much about it later on because there aren't many threads discussing liveries that have been around for 2+ years. Southwest's new livery is about 5 years old. It still looks terrible. China Eastern's current livery has been around a few years. It still looks terrible. KLM's new livery has been around for a few years. It still looks terrible on certain aircraft. Lufthansa's livery is about a year old. It still looks terrible.

I can name several new liveries that look great: Cathay Pacific, AC, Hawaiian, AS, etc. The fact of the matter is that this United "evolution" is ugly.

But I guess it's all a matter of opinion. Some people think Susan Boyle is hot as shit. I don't.

sspontak

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:49 pm

This is more of a refreshed livery than a new livery. I like the new blues.

ual4life

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:50 pm

Lol! Susan Boyle! Love your list.

It will be interesting to see the livery on better looking aircraft.
Last edited by ual4life on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NNVII

TWA302

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:50 pm

Seanster59 wrote:
United's new livery In a word. Disjointed.

How is it disjointed? It meshes with the brand voice 100%. If you read the rationale in all of the decisions it will help make it more clear.

Veigar

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:52 pm

OccupiedLav wrote:
426Shadow wrote:
Funny, I remember these same kind of reactions to every single livery change that has happened over the last 15 years, and everyone got used to it in the end.

Claim you hate it? Wait 2 years and we wont hear a peep from you about it.

You will hear about it, but you probably won't hear as much about it later on because there aren't many threads discussing liveries that have been around for 2+ years. Southwest's new livery is about 5 years old. It still looks terrible. China Eastern's current livery has been around a few years. It still looks terrible. KLM's new livery has been around for a few years. It still looks terrible on certain aircraft. Lufthansa's livery is about a year old. It still looks terrible.

I can name several new liveries that look great: Cathay Pacific, AC, Hawaiian, AS, etc. The fact of the matter is that this United "evolution" is ugly.

But I guess it's all a matter of opinion. Some people think Susan Boyle is hot as shit. I don't.

As much as your 15 post knowledge would lead you to believe, some things are "opinion" and not fact. Sorry. I actually have not met anyone yet who dislikes WN's current livery until I read this post.

LAXdenizen

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:03 pm

This new United livery is as interim a design as current livery. This is kicking-the-can until something better comes along. Meanwhile, United doesn't have to re-logo everything down to the cocktail napkins.

DCA-ROCguy

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:03 pm

In a word: bland. Not awful, just bland. Less color range without the gold.

The skies need much more bold color, like they had in the 70's and 80's. Yes, I know all about current preferences for 'sleeker' corporate branding and such. It's bland and makes the skies boring. Bring back bright, bold color, and lots of it. KLM and Southwest fortunately still get the idea.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

OccupiedLav

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:11 pm

Veigar wrote:
As much as your 15 post knowledge would lead you to believe, some things are "opinion" and not fact. Sorry. I actually have not met anyone yet who dislikes WN's current livery until I read this post.

If I recall, correct me if I'm wrong, I stated, "But I guess it's just a matter of opinion...". Obviously liking or disliking liveries is opinion in its truest form, and nobody can be "wrong" about those opinions. I just don't understand how some people like certain ones.

Please note: my previous posts on the matter were not entirely serious, a bit of an exaggeration of my feelings towards the livery.

Also, I can't wait to get to 100 hundred posts, so then I will be knowledgeable. Or does it take more? Please let me know

AirAfreak

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:15 pm

Ode to Continental Airlines circa 2019.

#IdentityCrisis
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

NeBaNi

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:37 pm

Here's a quick modification I did on Paint. What do you guys think?

flight152

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:44 pm

NeBaNi wrote:

Makes the tail look like it has a tumor.

Alias1024

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:48 pm

I'll say this in favor the new livery. When there's several of the new tails lined up at night with their logo lights on it's going to look really good.
TWA302 wrote:
Seanster59 wrote:
United's new livery In a word. Disjointed.

How is it disjointed? It meshes with the brand voice 100%. If you read the rationale in all of the decisions it will help make it more clear.

I'll take a stab at why it's disjointed, because I feel the same way about it. The use of the swoop and the Runway Gray underbelly feels like an afterthought, as if the designers ran out of ideas so they just went into photoshop and changed the shade and shape of the line. They did such a great job with the evolution of the globe on the tail, but the fuselage looks like they just gave up.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

STT757

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:04 pm

I really like the dotted fade on the tail;

https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/11 ... 28704?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

AirCalSNA

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:10 pm

NeBaNi wrote:

While I think UA's new livery is uninspiring, I am very much heartened that they didn't go for that swooping-down-the-tail look that every other airline is doing.

OB1504

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:43 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
kordcj wrote:
Is anyone else stoked that the tail numbers are finally back up top instead of down below? Finally no more awkward gate angles to get tail numbers! Looks like the tail is paying homage in a good way to the old carriers. A bit of CO and a bit of UA in that tail with the Rising Blue. Anyone know if belly titles are present?

As someone who works on the ramp, I much prefer having the tail number on the fuselage instead of at the top of the tail. Much easier to see from under the airplane.

The aircraft number has always been on the nose gear doors?

It’s typically in two locations. Virtually every airline has it on the nose gear doors, but some airlines have it again somewhere on the rear fuselage or tail when the ship number is not immediately obvious from the registration number. United put the ship number next to the rearmost door on the previous livery but it seems like they’ll continue to do so. American puts it under the rearmost windows under the registration number, Delta puts it at the top of the tailfin, and Southwest puts it above the rearmost door.

SEU

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:54 pm

I dont think its bad, but something doesnt sit right with it. I think it does need another colour.

N766UA

Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:12 pm

[*]
NeBaNi wrote:

Right bloody awful

w3gar

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:05 am

In all honesty, United's new livery is alright to me. I was expecting more out of it though, but it satisfies imo.
A little off topic, but I predict that CM might ultimately end up making a similar move with its livery like United did as well. They just might add some red to it in resemblance to the Panamanian flag.

tommyarias

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:16 am

w3gar wrote:
In all honesty, United's new livery is alright to me. I was expecting more out of it though, but it satisfies imo.
A little off topic, but I predict that CM might ultimately end up making a similar move with its livery like United did as well. They just might add some red to it in resemblance to the Panamanian flag.

CM is very unlikely to follow UA with this change. The last change was the font at the same time UA did it. When UA added the wave, CM decided to skip it in the MAX and kept the same livery across the fleet. I would say CM would rather move to a livery that resembles the ConnectMiles livery (and Wingo) than the new UA livery.
"Insert Generic Signature or Quote" - Generic Name

bernsa

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:23 am

ual763 wrote:

I kind of like it and I really like the CO livery, it felt elegant to me
Two missed opportunities:
#1 the winglets - why not apply the gradient? Or a swoop? Something identifying?
#2 the wave line is great, loved it on the max, but for some reason, it seems to get lost in this livery - is it maybe a tad too thin? Pictures I've seen at a distance.. the line virtually disappear and it looks like a dirty euro-white plane

United1

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:32 am

Enroute to LA as UA2747....
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

unitedchicago

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:35 am

Whether you love it, like it, or dislike it, you have to admit they've been very purposeful behind the scenes in pulling from the global as design elements for nearly everything on board. Much of which, we knew like the negative space. But others that I personally didn't pick up on like the horizontal lines on the coach seats.

They did a really nice job behind explaining the why they did what they did.

Many airlines never got to this level of background either because it was done by committee with no rhyme or they don't think to publish it.

I really like it. The tail is extremely well done.

I'm not here to argue for or against, just that I think we can all recognize and appreciate that they pulled off the reveal and supporting materials really well.

unitedewr737

Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:19 am

Here is a pic of it out in daylight at ORD before its flight to LAX, found this on instagram feed, and I gotta say when its from the side and out in the open, looks sleek and the blues really work together, represents United well.

seabosdca

Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:31 am

Much better in daylight! I hope they decide to accept the small fuel burn penalty associated with painting the 787 engines.

antoniemey

Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:35 am

seabosdca wrote:
Much better in daylight! I hope they decide to accept the small fuel burn penalty associated with painting the 787 engines.

They're always painted. It's multiple colors/patterns that are an issue... that and the possibility of slightly different thicknesses between colors of paint. Boeing recommends only grey or white because the application thickness for those colors is what they designed for on the 787, but any solid color works with minimal issues.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

micstatic

Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:36 am

Looks nice in the light. Now for a night logo light pic
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

ER757

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:05 am

unitedewr737 wrote:
Here is a pic of it out in daylight at ORD before its flight to LAX, found this on instagram feed, and I gotta say when its from the side and out in the open, looks sleek and the blues really work together, represents United well.

The swoop line still looks purple to me even though it's United Blue - have to see it in person to get the proper visual. The detail work on the tail shown in a couple earlier posts is terrific. UA did exactly what Munoz said this would be - an evolution, not a revolution. And IMO they pulled it off quite nicely.

UA444

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:14 am

God I hate billboard titles no matter who does them. I hate everything else here too, but I despise the billboard trend and hope it goes away. The only way it sort of worked is on cargo plane. It looks like trash with windows.

ORDfan

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:16 am

Sorely disappointed in this: looks very discount carrier to me (reminds of TED), but then again, that's what the back of 738 on UA feels like nowadays.

Seems like good livery designers are few in far between, and their customers not too discerning.

Bluewho

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:20 am

I like the tail but definitely not the UNITED letters. I keep thinking is a UN plane.

Interesting about all the blue.

ILS28ORD

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:21 am

It's already grown on me. I love it. I love the tail fade like the old United blue livery's tail did. And the blue engines. This feels like United. Much better than the current Continental livery that was inherited. It's still not as pretty as AA's new livery though.

GmoneyCO

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:34 am

I'm not in love with the new livery but I don't love it either. The only thing I don't like is the larger UNITED on the side. Personally, I have never been a fan of names that go over the window line. An ideal 'evolution' in my mind would have kept the UNITED the same size as 'now'.

United787

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:43 am

unitedewr737 wrote:

I am not so sure now... that "Sky Blue" looks almost florescent in the daylight.

BTW, the new plane received a water cannon salute as pulling up to Gate B9. https://twitter.com/united

BWIAirport

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:44 am

N37267 is currently enroute as UA2747 to LAX: https://www.flightradar24.com/UAL2747/2046c5e4
Don't think it's a revenue flight given the flight number, which is weird because ORD-LAX is a perfectly normal route for UA to operate.
FR24 doesn't have any additional flights loaded for this frame, anyone know where it'll take the first paying passengers on the new United? (Also how long will it take fr24 to update the photos associated with the tail number?)
Next flight: October 17 DL2641 BWI-ATL B739
October 17 DL2607 ATL-TPA B752

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

BWIAirport

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:45 am

unitedewr737 wrote:

I gotta be honest, I thought this was a photoshop job at first. That being said, I actually really like the livery in the daylight.
Next flight: October 17 DL2641 BWI-ATL B739
October 17 DL2607 ATL-TPA B752

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

N649DL

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:49 am

SEU wrote:
I dont think its bad, but something doesnt sit right with it. I think it does need another colour.

Turquoise on the top of the body instead of white maybe or a full-on blue bottom like the engine colors.

It would be nice if they stuck a small Tulip in the same color scheme on the side of the plane before or after the "U" or "D." Someone mentioned that it would be used a secret logo or something on this thread. That would be a nice tribute to it instead of abandoning it.

aerokiwi

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:07 am

In daylight... insipid, disjointed wavy line, almost as bleh as Aeromexico, followed by a fluro blue disco ball and a totally unnecessary and arbitrary fade at the top of the tail. Thankfully what looked like purple winglets aren't. Whew!

KVH68

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:18 am

BWIAirport wrote:
N37267 is currently enroute as UA2747 to LAX: https://www.flightradar24.com/UAL2747/2046c5e4
Don't think it's a revenue flight given the flight number, which is weird because ORD-LAX is a perfectly normal route for UA to operate.
FR24 doesn't have any additional flights loaded for this frame, anyone know where it'll take the first paying passengers on the new United? (Also how long will it take fr24 to update the photos associated with the tail number?)

N37267 will go directly to the aircraft parking spot PAD 15 and remain overnight at LAX.

jetmatt777

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:38 am

KVH68 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

N37267 will go directly to the aircraft parking spot PAD 15 and remain overnight at LAX.

I bet it will spend the week going hub to hub for employee pep rallies.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

ocaviation

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:50 am

There were requests to paint other aircraft in the new livery... so after about 2.5 hours and burning eyes from looking at the screen, here's a 757-200, A320, and CRJ-700 (Express) in the new livery. Hope you all enjoy!

jph7291

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:52 am

It is growing on me. However, I am disappointed at the lack of purple. A small touch somewhere (winglets?) would have been truly unique and identifying. A blue, purple, gold livery would have been lovely. The light blue is fairly jarring, and I do not think, particularly on-brand.

Why they chose the deep blue for the curvy cheatline is lost on me. Should have been the United blue. I do not think it harmonizes well with the sapphire or light blues of the tail / nacelles / winglets. Or better yet, keep the damn thing gold.
712, 732/G/8, 752, 763, 772/W, 320, M8/90, CR2/7/9, E45, E70/5, AT7, DH4/8
ACK, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLE, CVG, DAL, DAY, DTW, EWR, FLL, HOU, HSV, HNL, IAH, IND, MCO, MDW, MRS, NCE, OAK, ORD, ORY, PHL, RNS, SDF, YYZ
AA, AC, AF, CO, DL, FL, G4, UA, WN

SurlyBonds

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:02 am

ER757 wrote:
The swoop line still looks purple to me even though it's United Blue - have to see it in person to get the proper visual. The detail work on the tail shown in a couple earlier posts is terrific. UA did exactly what Munoz said this would be - an evolution, not a revolution. And IMO they pulled it off quite nicely.

The swoop line is Rhapsody Blue, at least according to the color palette they put out.

This is basically a refresh of the existing livery, rather than a new one. It's no "United Rising" livery, which I loved, but it works as a refresh and improves on the previous iteration.

b777erj145

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:03 am

Bluewho wrote:
I like the tail but definitely not the UNITED letters. I keep thinking is a UN plane.

Interesting about all the blue.

Same here. As mentioned in this reply, like the tail. Definitely, don't like the font in there. Could just change the tail from "old" livery

strfyr51

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:07 am

Well? Whether or not anybody likes it? It's now academic!! Time to get on with Business!!

dmstorm22

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:17 am

ocaviation wrote:

There were requests to paint other aircraft in the new livery... so after about 2.5 hours and burning eyes from looking at the screen, here's a 757-200, A320, and CRJ-700 (Express) in the new livery. Hope you all enjoy!

God bless you, this is amazing.

It's an expectedly poor fit with the A320, but I think it looks great on the 757 and the RJ.

This may actually really improve the look of the RJ fleet.

The true test of the livery will be how it looks on the WB fleet.

SCFlyer

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:20 am

I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing this 'refreshed' livery on the widebodies, and at the same time see how they apply it to the "babybus" A319 like how AS applied their livery to the former VX A319s.

Amwest2United

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:32 am

dmstorm22 wrote:
ocaviation wrote:

God bless you, this is amazing.

It's an expectedly poor fit with the A320, but I think it looks great on the 757 and the RJ.

This may actually really improve the look of the RJ fleet.

The true test of the livery will be how it looks on the WB fleet.

Should see it on a 787-8 April 27th...…
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

questions

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:33 am

flight152 wrote:
NeBaNi wrote:

Makes the tail look like it has a tumor.

Keep your day job.

questions

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:34 am

SCFlyer wrote:
I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing this 'refreshed' livery on the widebodies, and at the same time see how they apply it to the "babybus" A319 like how AS applied their livery to the former VX A319s.

Did AS do something different with their livery on the A319?

questions

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:37 am

aerokiwi wrote:
In daylight... insipid, disjointed wavy line, almost as bleh as Aeromexico, followed by a fluro blue disco ball and a totally unnecessary and arbitrary fade at the top of the tail. Thankfully what looked like purple winglets aren't. Whew!

I think that’s fairy dust.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos