ual4life

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery released

Sat May 04, 2019 1:54 am

I was on the fence until just now, saw it in Denver. It looks much better in person.
NNVII

AaronPGH

Sun May 05, 2019 5:06 am

questions

Sun May 05, 2019 5:17 am

777222LR wrote:
I'm certainly on board with it here. It's warming on me:

I look forward to seeing the new livery on aircraft other than the dumpy 737.

ELBOB

Sun May 05, 2019 5:54 am

Looks a bit cobbled together, but legions better than a Eurowhite alternative.

But what is it with aviation photographers who just stand to the side of the runway and give us copycat side-on spotter-shots? I want to see the underside; one tacky aspect of the Blue Rising was the unpainted stripe down the belly. Or a shot from a higher elevation, like passengers will see it from the terminal. Use you imagination, photographers!

AaronPGH

Sun May 05, 2019 11:04 am

ELBOB wrote:
But what is it with aviation photographers who just stand to the side of the runway and give us copycat side-on spotter-shots? I want to see the underside; one tacky aspect of the Blue Rising was the unpainted stripe down the belly. Or a shot from a higher elevation, like passengers will see it from the terminal. Use you imagination, photographers!

Check the link I posted above: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pitairpor ... 408672294/

jetmatt777

Sun May 05, 2019 2:54 pm

Saw it yesterday in Denver, looks fresh in person. I like it.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Sooner787

Sun May 05, 2019 3:21 pm

So when will we see the new livery on a second frame?

There was an unpainted Max9 at the Renton factory few weeks back,
wonder if it will wear the new livery?

dennypayne

Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 pm

ual4life wrote:
It looks much better in person.

It's interesting, because pretty much everyone knows that a photograph hardly ever captures the true look of anything compared to seeing it in person, yet we all tend to make our judgements on new liveries here without also seeing them in person. I felt this way when AA debuted its new livery - once I saw it "in the flesh" I was much more amenable to it.
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 AT7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L410 M11/80/90 RJ85 SF3 SU9 T134/154 Y42

VC10er

Sun May 05, 2019 4:12 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
VC10er wrote:
I personally think (in my OPINION) that the "general" - "overall" new United livery should have been more premium looking. I like the fact that it has become much more UNITED, colorful, and not a Frankenstein that it has been since the merger. The reason I prefer the image of the 777 is that the "overall" look is more premium, yet still very UNITED-like.

"...and not a Frankenstein that it has been since the merger." So it would have been better to have named the merged airline Continental?

The “Frankenstein” that the current livery is, was done for many reasons and the strategic message to consumers about “who we are and what we stand for” was not much of a factor at the time. The single need was to communicate that CO & UA are now ONE. Both airlines had enormous FF bases and the Frankenstein gave a little of CO and a little of UA so not one group felt they lost “their” airline entirely. Money was probably the primary factor as it most often is: it was far less expensive a solution than keeping shades of blue, needing to repaint far more aircraft and naming it Continental. Plus, “U” symbol for an airline named Continental would have never worked.
Concern over deflating an already deflated workforce was probably the second most important concern. Splitting both airline equities in 2 as evenly as possible, still caused outrage. In the end the Frankenstein only needed to buy them time for the 2 entities to go through what they must have known would be hell- and it was.
Now as many things have been ironed out, settling down, it was time to move into the reconstruction of one single airline- with its single mission. They are getting there. If a generation is defined at being 20 years, people like me will be retiring and flying less, new generations will start flying with little to no knowledge or care about the enormous mess Smisek and Tilton gave birth to. And, an airline’s moment of a disastrous era would never have true historical value such as the largest messes humankind had seriously created that have impact on society today.

But the time had come for a more integrated look- doesn’t matter much if you like or love it the new identity, but it is certainly more United looking and less CO, the globe on the tail seems more like a decorative element in 2 shades of blue than an “identity” as it was for CO.
Last edited by VC10er on Sun May 05, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Bricktop

Sun May 05, 2019 4:22 pm

dennypayne wrote:
ual4life wrote:
It looks much better in person.

It's interesting, because pretty much everyone knows that a photograph hardly ever captures the true look of anything compared to seeing it in person, yet we all tend to make our judgements on new liveries here without also seeing them in person. I felt this way when AA debuted its new livery - once I saw it "in the flesh" I was much more amenable to it.

+1 I was not at all a fan of the new LH livery until I saw it on an A350 at EWR and it looked very nice indeed. I haven't seen it on any other frame other than a B77F at JFK, but based on that I have to keep a more open mind.

AAEK192

Sun May 05, 2019 4:33 pm

When and what will be the next aircraft painted in the new livery?

mm320cap

Sun May 05, 2019 4:37 pm

adambrau wrote:
mm320cap wrote:
adambrau wrote:

Yeah agree the above is my wet dream. Could have been worse, which though is never a huge endorsement

Anecdotally on the Airtrain today from Newark Airport rail station over to the terminals, I spoke with a UA pilot and ground staffer about the new logo. No-one is right or wrong, but these troops felt the current livery was better and the "evolution" was 'politely' a PR exercise from the Willis Tower executed "by committee" - ie why bother make something OK even worse. True that United will always suffer mistrust between the ranks and management but this is a lost opportunity to create a refreshed brand image. United - too big and too many heads! Life goes on.

I’m a United pilot and I absolutely love the new livery. To me it looks modern and fresh. The swoop to me is key. I can’t think of another US airline that has it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the constant cry here seems to be that it appears “LCC”. Ummmm. Sprint yellow, anyone?? Frontier animal crackers?? The new livery looks great to me considering that this was supposed to be a design EVOLUTION, not an entirely new branding.

I’ve been flying here for 25 years so trust me I’ve seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. I haven’t felt momentum this positive here since the late 1990’s. I credit Oscar for a large part of that.

All I can say is it very refreshing to hear a positive view. And all our views are subjective. I've been flying UA for 28 years with the last several as a GS member. Does it mean your opinion trumps mine or vice versa - I don't think anyone can answer that. I respect your opinion. And I respect mine. Which is that the new livery evolution is poorly executed. At least we live in a society where we can openly disagree ;)

Absolutely agree! Was just expressing my thoughts and in no way suggesting you opinion is any less important than mine! If anything, yours carries more weight, as the customer is what truly matters in our line of work.

Thank you for your years of business. Hope I get to fly you some day!

727LOVER

Sun May 05, 2019 4:45 pm

Any aircraft types set for retirement in the next 3 or 4 years? They may not get the new colors.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Airlines0613

Sun May 05, 2019 7:47 pm

I would have killed to see a B747-400 wearing the new livery. :’(

adambrau

Tue May 07, 2019 6:06 am

mm320cap wrote:
adambrau wrote:
mm320cap wrote:

I’m a United pilot and I absolutely love the new livery. To me it looks modern and fresh. The swoop to me is key. I can’t think of another US airline that has it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the constant cry here seems to be that it appears “LCC”. Ummmm. Sprint yellow, anyone?? Frontier animal crackers?? The new livery looks great to me considering that this was supposed to be a design EVOLUTION, not an entirely new branding.

I’ve been flying here for 25 years so trust me I’ve seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. I haven’t felt momentum this positive here since the late 1990’s. I credit Oscar for a large part of that.

All I can say is it very refreshing to hear a positive view. And all our views are subjective. I've been flying UA for 28 years with the last several as a GS member. Does it mean your opinion trumps mine or vice versa - I don't think anyone can answer that. I respect your opinion. And I respect mine. Which is that the new livery evolution is poorly executed. At least we live in a society where we can openly disagree ;)

Absolutely agree! Was just expressing my thoughts and in no way suggesting you opinion is any less important than mine! If anything, yours carries more weight, as the customer is what truly matters in our line of work.

Thank you for your years of business. Hope I get to fly you some day!

I am no longer your amazing customer after many years of work/leisure travel I put my love of flying into an airline customer service agent job at JFK. I bought an apartment in the city. I will definitely hit 3mm on UA but I am at the stage in my life now where I enjoy assisting my fellow travelers over being one. Will always have UA in my blood!
Let's keep the skies friendly.

atcanobbio

Tue May 07, 2019 7:32 am

overall, i like the refresh but the rhapsody blue wavy cheatline looks a little odd. It would have been nice if the cheatline had the color gradient the tail has to tie it in all together.

ftzvika

Sat May 11, 2019 4:18 am

I see no more new paintings! Any one knows whats going on? Did they decided to stop painting with the new livery?

CriticalPoint

Sat May 11, 2019 4:43 am

ftzvika wrote:
I see no more new paintings! Any one knows whats going on? Did they decided to stop painting with the new livery?

We have 14 grounded 737 MAX aircraft going into the busiest time of the year for flights. We will be lucky to not cancel flights due to aircraft shortages. Painting can and will wait.

jmc1975

Sat May 11, 2019 4:56 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
ftzvika wrote:

We have 14 grounded 737 MAX aircraft going into the busiest time of the year for flights. We will be lucky to not cancel flights due to aircraft shortages. Painting can and will wait.

Would this be a convenient time to send in those 14 MAXs to the paintshop? Surely, they can obtain approval to ferry the aircraft.

intotheair

Sat May 11, 2019 5:49 am

jmc1975 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
ftzvika wrote:

Would this be a convenient time to send in those 14 MAXs to the paintshop? Surely, they can obtain approval to ferry the aircraft.

People have pointed out that repainting brand new planes that are already a money pit wouldn't be the most financially prudent decision.

Also, it's been reported that UA is already having to cancel flights because of the MAX grounding (though not as many as WN and AA). UA only has/had 14 frames, but the schedule filed anticipated to accept delivery of more frames and ramp up utilization for the summer.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Volaris320

Wed May 15, 2019 4:58 pm

I'd probably see another 737NG get the new livery next, maybe a 73G, another 738, or a 739.

BAINY3

Wed May 15, 2019 5:03 pm

If the schedule is full and nothing is getting repainted, I assume we'll next see the new livery on some of the United Express new deliveries on the horizon.

mattnrsa

Wed May 15, 2019 5:44 pm

https://youtu.be/2QjbeFqfajI

Interesting behind-the-scenes look at an air-to-air video shoot of the updated livery. They got some great footage.

United787

Wed May 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Why on Earth would UA go ahead and paint one aircraft and unveil this new livery when they knew they wouldn't be able to paint anymore planes until the MAX issues are solved? It takes the all the wind out of their PR/marketing sails. This is just like when they introduced Polaris and then couldn't implement it very fast.

B764er

Wed May 15, 2019 6:23 pm

N37267 was at my local airport last saturday night and it looked splendid! It is a nice refresh of the livery.
I only say too bad there are no 727's on the UA fleet anymore. It would've looked smashing with this livery.

antoniemey

Thu May 16, 2019 4:59 am

United787 wrote:
Why on Earth would UA go ahead and paint one aircraft and unveil this new livery when they knew they wouldn't be able to paint anymore planes until the MAX issues are solved? It takes the all the wind out of their PR/marketing sails. This is just like when they introduced Polaris and then couldn't implement it very fast.

Because the process started before the MAX was grounded. Not the actual physical painting, but the scheduling, planning, etc was all well along and projects like that are not halted easily.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

VC10er

Fri May 17, 2019 2:00 am

The air-to-air shots actually made an enormous difference for me! I thought she looked quite amazing- very bold and proud branding and the globe looks as modern as is possible!

CriticalPoint

Fri May 17, 2019 2:35 am

United787 wrote:

Because they didn’t plan for the MAX to be grounded and they certainly didn’t plan on the MAX being grounded for 6 months over the busiest flight time of the year.

You can develop contingency plans for a lot of situations but some you just don’t see coming.

Amwest2United

Fri May 17, 2019 3:09 am

United787 wrote:

In addition to the above, don't forget they have multiple new deliveries of Mainline and Express aircraft this year and they had already planned the new livery on them starting in June or July.
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

ldvaviation

Fri May 17, 2019 4:01 am

One more look. ... Still ugly.

Scarebus34

Fri May 17, 2019 4:10 am

ftzvika wrote:

The paint shop is closed for the summer schedule - it should resume end of August. Plan to have 30 repaints by the end of the year.

rj777

Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 am

I'm assuming all future deliveries will be in the new livery..... speaking of which, what does UA have on the way? (MAX excluded)

JannEejit

Sat May 18, 2019 9:00 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
ftzvika wrote:

The paint shop is closed for the summer schedule - it should resume end of August. Plan to have 30 repaints by the end of the year.

Why does a paint shop close for summer ? Does any other business have these long lay offs and what do the employees do to make ends meet ?

KVH68

Sat May 18, 2019 11:30 am

JannEejit wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
ftzvika wrote:

Why does a paint shop close for summer ? Does any other business have these long lay offs and what do the employees do to make ends meet ?

They are just saying United won't be sending any airplanes to get painted because they need all the planes flying for the busy summer season. I am sure the painting company will find other work.

WingsOfLove

Sat May 18, 2019 12:40 pm

AaronPGH wrote:

Nice. Thank you. Starting to like it.

STT757

Sat May 18, 2019 12:57 pm

AaronPGH wrote:
ELBOB wrote:

Check the link I posted above: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pitairpor ... 408672294/

Great photos, that tail really pops in the daylight.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

ChaseCLT

Sat May 18, 2019 1:44 pm

I like the tail a lot. But body of the aircraft I like less and less as time goes on. It’s so close to being a great livery. I think it’s the grey belly that I don’t care for.

OzarkD9S

Sat May 18, 2019 4:42 pm

ocaviation wrote:

Ok..... 3.5 hours later. Here's the requests and a few more added in. Ignoring my sub-par photoshop skills, what do you think of the livery on these aircraft?

Hope you all enjoy!

*Images not to scale.*

Just saw these as I haven't checked the thread for a while. Great job...does anyone else think the word EXPRESS might look better in the light blue from the globe?
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

AirCalSNA

Sat May 18, 2019 9:15 pm

I thought it looked passable when it was presented in the hangar. In the real world it is not a good look. UA blew it ... again.

Schweigend

Sun May 19, 2019 6:54 am

B764er wrote:
N37267 was at my local airport last saturday night and it looked splendid! It is a nice refresh of the livery.
I only say too bad there are no 727's on the UA fleet anymore. It would've looked smashing with this livery.

I considered myself very lucky on Saturday evening to see N37267 in person and up close for the first time.

Under an overcast sky with light rain, she sat at IAH gate E-16, preparing for a UIO flight -- and I had a few bags to drop there.

My initial impression was that the tail looked terrific -- the fade from dark blue at the globe's edge to light blue at the tip was beautiful. All the various coloured dots of different sizes accomplished that fade very well and seemed to be an interesting design element, which the photos I'd seen up to then had not conveyed.

The dark blue swoosh line along the fuselage did not seem disjointed, and it was clearly blue -- whereas photos show it as black.
I do think the swoosh would be improved if it were a dual stripe with light blue added.

The U N I T E D titles did not appear to be too large, nor were the window intrusions annoying.

Finally, I and all the rampers present at the time agreed that the engines being blue (along with the lower scimitar winglet blades) were great improvements.

Seen this way, the whole package was lovely, seeming for the first time to integrate the old and new of United --- we only wished that more "Shades of Blue" had been used in the swoosh.

I'm eager to see more models painted in the new scheme -- and it is also possible that UA management may tweak the design for future paintjobs as reactions to the current first version are received.

VC10er

Sun May 19, 2019 2:47 pm

It is not uncommon that refinements are made to a new livery after launch. Unlike many other businesses there is no real way to get consumer feedback before launch, not much of an idea what a big aircraft (even a 737) looks like in different light, distances , in flight etc- other than photoshopped images, at least without great risk of it leaking.
In other business categories, gas stations, stores, chain restaurants, package goods etc there is an opportunity to test and survey consumer response.

For example I worked on Pizza Hut. The “new” version of the restaurant was built in 3-5 very places- maybe even more than one design. They could test consumer response before spending billions leveling old restaurants and building new ones. Nobody give much of a S**t if they were pictured in USA Today.

Airline liveries seem to stir up far more of a reaction- especially inside the airline’s home country. I would not be at all surprised if UNITED made modifications to the livery design as they head into painting widebody aircraft.

Old VARIG did something interesting: they put the new potential livery on Nordeste or Rio Sul first, small subsidiaries they owned. Once seen in daylight and getting customer reaction, then we adapted it to VARIG’s 747’s and MD11’s etc. R.I.P.

xxcr

Sun May 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Is there a list of planes that are due for the new livery?

CriticalPoint

Sun May 19, 2019 5:54 pm

xxcr wrote:
Is there a list of planes that are due for the new livery?

All but 267......

EduardoL

Sun May 19, 2019 6:38 pm

When will the second aircraft be presented with the new colors?

antoniemey

Wed May 22, 2019 12:34 am

EduardoL wrote:

When the first XE 175 that wasn't already scheduled for painting in the old colors is delivered.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

EduardoL

Wed May 22, 2019 12:41 am

antoniemey wrote:
EduardoL wrote:

When the first XE 175 that wasn't already scheduled for painting in the old colors is delivered.

I've already seen United's E175 at the factory with the new paint. By the way, it looks beautiful

adambrau

Wed May 22, 2019 12:51 am

VC10er wrote:
Aptivaboy wrote:
As I said earlier, I don't love it, I don't hate it. I do think that some of the artwork shown here in this thread is more appealing than the design that United ultimately chose, Carbon Fibre's in particular.

That always amazes me - that companies spend big dollars paying a design company to come up with a new scheme or branding and then they don't knock it out of the park. Okay is apparently good enough.

I have a question and an insider’s factual truth to let you in on, both being in good spirit and respectful.

First: how much is “big dollars” to you? As in how much a branding and design agency is paid? Feel free to provide a range like $700,000 to $1.5 million, (or less or more) etc. And, in particular, how much of that total sum is JUST for the design of the livery alone?

David Ogilvy, of “Ogilvy & Mather” (David O, being one of the advertising world’s most famous and respected people) has one quote that is hugely famous, something he said MANY decades ago, but 100% still relevant today: “A client gets what they deserve” - meaning that no matter how fabulous the work an agency can do for their clients (ideas, ads, branding design, websites-anything) that in the end, what actually makes its way out into the world is absolutely due to what the client has approved.
Forget the new UA livery for a moment. If I see a package design that is magnificent, bold, beautiful and daring, or a logo for a company (either a redesign or new company) that blows my mind because it’s so brilliant- I will give the client MUCH more credit for it than I do the agency that did the work. Far more times than not, the agency presented better ideas and work, but the client teams, over a period of time will demand that changes are made “make this line darker, make the brand name bigger, I don’t like that pattern behind the logo, put a baby in the ad, remove the sculpted bulkhead that’s on the 77W, “Apple” is such a stupid name for a computer- are you crazy, how could you even show me that? this is technology, I want a name like ‘NovoTek” because it says both “new and technology” then it (the ad, the design etc) might go into consumer research! And 15 people out of 36 might say “I hate the purple bottle, nothing is purple in the vitamin aisle!”—but perhaps the purple is EXACTLY what is needed because it looks different than all the others.

Airline livery designs a very seldom researched because of the risk associated with a leak.

SO, how do you know if the new UNITED livery is a version of something you would have loved much more, that a very talented agency did awesome work, but it was then diluted with many opinions- but the client loves it, thinks the agency was fantastic and the new livery you see today was ultimately APPROVED by the client. They (UA) got what they deserved, a livery that most people seem to think (on balance) is an improvement. And Oscar tried to control expectations from the start by stating quite loudly “EVOLUTION” not “revolution”. (I would say Iberia made a revolutionary change) I don’t really like it, but aside from red and yellow- everything from the OLD Landor Iberia was changed. FedEx from its original Federal Express slanted identity was fairly revolutionary.

How much do you think Landor should have been paid to recreate the FedEx brand & Branding?

When I think of a good "evolution" to branding, I think of AirFrance. Curious to hear your thoughts even tough slightly off-topic?
Let's keep the skies friendly.

CriticalPoint

Wed May 22, 2019 1:25 am

EduardoL wrote:

Can someone make a sticky post that says:

UNITED WILL NOT PAINT ANOTHER AIRCRAFT UNTIL THE MAX IS FLYING AGAIN.

Then another one that says:

THE NEXT AIRCRAFT THAT WILL BE IN THE NEW COLORS WILL BE A NEW BUILD.

Thank you

OB1504

Wed May 22, 2019 1:35 am

Ship 3267 visited Miami yesterday (and went tech!) and the new livery is nice in person, though a little underwhelming. I don’t feel like it really works for a full service airline.

tjwgrr

Wed May 22, 2019 1:41 am

EduardoL wrote:
antoniemey wrote:
EduardoL wrote:

I've already seen United's E175 at the factory with the new paint. By the way, it looks beautiful

Photos please
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos