ual763

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:38 am

I’d honestly be happy with either of the Saul Bass liveries. The SB UA or the SB CO. They both looked stunning back in the day.

However, it’s still speculation. We’re all going crazy over the idea, but we have no shred of evidence other than what someone above commented of what he saw on another internal message room. For all we know, it could come out as just the regular livery we have now.
From flying to the NOTAM office

CriticalPoint

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:47 am

ual763 wrote:
I’d honestly be happy with either of the Saul Bass liveries. The SB UA or the SB CO. They both looked stunning back in the day.

They can’t do a United retro without doing a Continental retro. It would cause all sorts of problems with the work groups. The only way a retro would work would be to do a Varney livery or something so old it predates both airlines.

I’m thinking it’s going to be a new Star Alliance scheme.

xjetflyer2001
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:01 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
ual763 wrote:

They can’t do a United retro without doing a Continental retro. It would cause all sorts of problems with the work groups. The only way a retro would work would be to do a Varney livery or something so old it predates both airlines.

I’m thinking it’s going to be a new Star Alliance scheme.

Varney or even Boeing Air Transport would be cool, but they could do a SB UA on one side and a SB CO on the other side, I think that would be cool also.

jumpseat67

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:13 am

Varney or even Boeing Air Transport would be cool, but they could do a SB UA on one side and a SB CO on the other side, I think that would be cool also.

We would then argue which livery should be on the left side vs. the right...

xjetflyer2001
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:30 am

jumpseat67 wrote:

We would then argue which livery should be on the left side vs. the right...

:lol: :lol: :lol: In the great words of Metallica "sad but true"

ual763

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:30 am

Varney or BAT would look terrible quite frankly. Back in those days, it was just some lettering and that’s it. It’s not like we don’t have any CO retros already. We have a 738 in retro CO. But, it would be cool to see both. However, none of this half and half stuff on a plane. That just looks cheesy.
From flying to the NOTAM office

MGC1191

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:46 am

Came across this online and thought it would be an interesting concept for a retro livery.

My words are my own and do not reflect my employer in any way, shape, or form.

xjetflyer2001
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:52 am

ual763 wrote:
Varney or BAT would look terrible quite frankly. Back in those days, it was just some lettering and that’s it. It’s not like we don’t have any CO retros already. We have a 738 in retro CO. But, it would be cool to see both. However, none of this half and half stuff on a plane. That just looks cheesy.

I have to agree with you, the Varney or BAT livery would look bad and would be quite bland on a large aircraft, but I still think a half and half would be cool

tmu101

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:04 am

Sooner787 wrote:
Hmmmmm drove by Meacham Airport on Ft Worth last week and
felt a disturbance in the Force as I looked for any signs of the UA 78J on property :)

I drive by Meacham every day on my way to and from work and I'm hoping to get a glimpse of that United beauty as well! :cheerful:

KVH68

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:09 am

It is kind of interesting that 737-800, N37267, is being painted by Leading Edge Aviation Services in Amarillo. At the same time, 787-10, N91007, is being painted by Leading Edge Aviation Services as well at Meacham airport in Fort Worth.

ocaviation

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:11 am

KVH68 wrote:
It is kind of interesting that 737-800, N37267, is being painted by Leading Edge Aviation Services in Amarillo. At the same time, 787-10, N91007, is being painted by Leading Edge Aviation Services as well at Meacham airport in Fort Worth.

I thought it was IAC, (International aircrat coating). Maybe not

ocaviation

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:12 am

KVH68 wrote:

I thought it was IAC, (International Aircraft Coating), being that they have locations at both those airports. Or not. Not sure.

ocaviation

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:25 am

Being that we have a pretty good idea of the titles, here's a few new designs. I placed the "UNITED" titles where they were on the Star Wars 738. Up, and to the right, which I feel is kinda strange, but whatever. I had no clue where to, and if I should fit in the "premium purple", so I made various designs. I changed the white globe to the light blue globe, because their IFE featured that, which is a potential hint.

Aptivaboy

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:01 am

I was thinking of a similar idea, where the Star Wars jet will be indicative of the "UNITED" titles going forward, albeit in different colors for regular 'ol line jets. I'm thinking that the Star Wars jet is a sneak preview, in some ways, of what the new livery will be, at least in terms of the titles.

KVH68

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:41 am

ocaviation wrote:
KVH68 wrote:

I thought it was IAC, (International Aircraft Coating), being that they have locations at both those airports. Or not. Not sure.

You are rights, Leading Edge Aviation Services has been renamed International Aerospace Coatings. For some reason, Google Maps still show the old name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_E ... n_Services

CALTECH

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:27 pm

KVH68 wrote:

Full strip and paint, including wings.
More than likely the livery Evolution,
You are here.

DL717

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:51 pm

United needs to get past its unmerger. I’ve never seen such a ridiculous display of stupid over a merger, to the point where it’s actually hurting the brand. They’ve held on to this CO livery to pacify the CO crowd at the airline. Get the hell over it. There are still workgroups to this day that don’t get a long. It’s been an effing decade. You’re not going back to being two separate airlines so get it together. Be glad you both didn’t fold and still have jobs. Now rebrand because your livery looks like two pissed off marketing reps couldn’t make a decision over which airline you want to be and go with it, then get your shit together on product. Your product is just as schizophrenic as your livery. End rant.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

DL717

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:55 pm

MGC1191 wrote:
Came across this online and thought it would be an interesting concept for a retro livery.

Nice. Very nice. They need to dump the globe and go back to these colors. They can do a hell of a lot with paint jobs these days and with this color base they can be pretty damn creative.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

EvanWSFO

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:58 pm

DL717 wrote:
MGC1191 wrote:

Nice. Very nice. They need to dump the globe and go back to these colors. They can do a hell of a lot with paint jobs these days and with this color base they can be pretty damn creative.

In the post above this one, you complained about the CO people griping and complaining. You think THIS livery is going to help that? They need a complete rebranding, neither the tulip or whatever it is, and not the globe. It's not going to happen, but it should.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

Airlines0613

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:52 pm

DL717 wrote:
United needs to get past its unmerger. I’ve never seen such a ridiculous display of stupid over a merger, to the point where it’s actually hurting the brand. They’ve held on to this CO livery to pacify the CO crowd at the airline. Get the hell over it. There are still workgroups to this day that don’t get a long. It’s been an effing decade. You’re not going back to being two separate airlines so get it together. Be glad you both didn’t fold and still have jobs. Now rebrand because your livery looks like two pissed off marketing reps couldn’t make a decision over which airline you want to be and go with it, then get your shit together on product. Your product is just as schizophrenic as your livery. End rant.

Dude, it’s the same for both sides... both exUA and exCO are unhappy and some are not willing to change. Besides the livery was not chosen to make exCO employees happy, but because it wouldn’t require too much money to repaint only UA aircraft and stamp UA on the existing CO painted aircraft.

BWIAirport

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:15 pm

MGC1191 wrote:

That's similar to this concept I came up with last year: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... 9LX2VZMC1R
Next flight: 3/1 DL2834 BWI-ATL B739
3/1 DL661 ATL-STT B752

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

NYPECO

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:35 pm

DL717 wrote:
MGC1191 wrote:

But you just went on a rant about United needing to re-brand instead of sticking to old liveries.

MGC1191

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:00 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
MGC1191 wrote:

That's similar to this concept I came up with last year: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... 9LX2VZMC1R

Man, I love your work! That would be excellent! Well done!
My words are my own and do not reflect my employer in any way, shape, or form.

ocaviation

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:55 pm

Here are a few screenshots from the sim of the design I did yesterday. I think the light blue globe would look nice. Not sure about the purple winglets though. It makes me think of the March Of Dimes livery.

N649DL

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:09 pm

MGC1191 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
MGC1191 wrote:

Man, I love your work! That would be excellent! Well done!

Nicely done! I'm also in the minority on this one but I really never was a fan of the UAL 1980s livery. I liked "Battleship Gray" and "Rising Blue" much, much more.

Rdh3e

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:50 pm

ocaviation wrote:

Here are a few screenshots from the sim of the design I did yesterday. I think the light blue globe would look nice. Not sure about the purple winglets though. It makes me think of the March Of Dimes livery.

Illustrates well why they won't extend the globe onto the fuselage like that. Looks awful from any angle except exactly perpendicular.

KVH68

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:19 pm

CALTECH wrote:
KVH68 wrote:

For some reason they removed both aileron trim tabs and both elevator trim tabs on this 737. This will require a test flight. There is also chatter about a stripe being painted.

ocaviation

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:37 am

Rdh3e wrote:
ocaviation wrote:

Illustrates well why they won't extend the globe onto the fuselage like that. Looks awful from any angle except exactly perpendicular.

We don’t know for sure that they won’t extend it. Sure, the liveries we’ve seen didn’t have it extended, but it could be like Southwest, where the colors don’t extend on the specials, but it does on the regular livery.

ocaviation

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Ok.... I'm sorry. I'm done after this. Here's my final hypothesis for the new livery. I added the grey belly, because on the "Her Art Here" 757 templates, the belly was sectioned off as if it was going to be painted. I also tapered the tail, and added a blue line above the grey belly.

Rdh3e

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:05 pm

ocaviation wrote:

Ok.... I'm sorry. I'm done after this. Here's my final hypothesis for the new livery. I added the grey belly, because on the "Her Art Here" 757 templates, the belly was sectioned off as if it was going to be painted. I also tapered the tail, and added a blue line above the grey belly.

The tail was also sectioned off for a normal tail not extending down the fuselage. It looks good straight on, but as you showed before it looks awful from every other angle.

ocaviation

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:12 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
ocaviation wrote:

The tail was also sectioned off for a normal tail not extending down the fuselage. It looks good straight on, but as you showed before it looks awful from every other angle.

I agree, it only looks good from this angle. As you said, they've shown it only taking up the tail, but that was only illustrated on the special liveries that we've seen so far. You could be right, where it only stays on the tail, or this could be like Southwest where the logo stays on the tail on special liveries, but spills onto the fuselage on the normal livery. Only time will tell though. I guess we'll see on the proposed date, April 24th.

F9Animal

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Anyone remember the "rising" campaign at UA in the mid 1990's? I would love to see a similar concept return to UA. To me, the old UA Tulip was and still is a brand that brings instant United to my mind. I know its probably not coming back, but, I sure so wish it could.

As for bringing heritage planes? God that would be great!!
I Am A Different Animal!!

UAflyer24

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 am

I think something along these lines looks nice. This is the current livery with the colors altered, so assuming the new livery has billboard titles, that would need to be added, too. I like the idea of the wave being a gradient of colors from blue to purple.

CALTECH

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:41 am

KVH68 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
KVH68 wrote:

For some reason they removed both aileron trim tabs and both elevator trim tabs on this 737. This will require a test flight. There is also chatter about a stripe being painted.

Masking off wings to paint white areas, fuselage.
Lay out the 'Stripe'
Lay out the lower fuselage and paint gray.

Acft 267.
You are here.

KVH68

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:32 am

CALTECH wrote:
KVH68 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

Masking off wings to paint white areas, fuselage.
Lay out the 'Stripe'
Lay out the lower fuselage and paint gray.

Acft 267.

If we find out the stripe is gold, then it is the old livery.

tmu101

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:40 pm

tmu101 wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
felt a disturbance in the Force as I looked for any signs of the UA 78J on property :)

I drive by Meacham every day on my way to and from work and I'm hoping to get a glimpse of that United beauty as well! :cheerful:

Well on my morning drive to work today it looks like the united 78J is done. It was parked on the ramp at Meacham but sadly it seems like it is painted in the current livery. Only caught a glimpse as I was driving by it appears to be the current livery - no new livery I'm afraid. :cry2:

DeltaRules

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 pm

There's no way they could create a globe with lines of longitude resembling the stripes in the tulip?
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

tjwgrr

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:00 pm

tmu101 wrote:
tmu101 wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:

Well on my morning drive to work today it looks like the united 78J is done. It was parked on the ramp at Meacham but sadly it seems like it is painted in the current livery. Only caught a glimpse as I was driving by it appears to be the current livery - no new livery I'm afraid. :cry2:

Maybe it's being hidden by a pair of large Fixer Upper "before" type panels.... :-)

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

smittythepirate

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:13 pm

tmu101 wrote:
tmu101 wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:

You have one more opportunity as there is another United plane currently in paint. LN 548
www.jbweather.com

ocaviation

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:18 pm

smittythepirate wrote:
tmu101 wrote:
tmu101 wrote:

You have one more opportunity as there is another United plane currently in paint. LN 548

Are you taking about N37267? What’s the n number for LN 548?

Sooner787

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:47 pm

ocaviation wrote:
smittythepirate wrote:
tmu101 wrote:

I assume LN548 is being painted in Charleston?

it would be a lot easier to keep a new livery under cover at CHS

smittythepirate

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:40 pm

ocaviation wrote:
smittythepirate wrote:
tmu101 wrote:

Planespotters shows the number as N91007

It isn't being painted at CHS, it flew to FTW a while ago. There is a break of deliveries for United (using all things 787) 548 and 828 being the last 2 delivered until 948. It would make sense if 548 came back with the old livery
www.jbweather.com

Boof02671

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Is there a date for when they are announcing the new livery?

ocaviation

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:09 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
Is there a date for when they are announcing the new livery?

No announced date, though we believe April 24th because United has an employee event scheduled.

DeltaRules

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:28 pm

The unveil is the 24th per a just-posted Tweet on UA's Twitter.

https://twitter.com/united/status/1118219271992033281
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:36 pm

DeltaRules wrote:

So it’s on a B737, then.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ocaviation

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:40 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

So it’s on a B737, then.

Safe to say the new livery will be on 738 N37267 which will depart Amarillo from the paint shop at 11PM on the 23rd, shortly before the event, at dark to try to hide it! Not my info, other people have provided this info.

Terrier79

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Simple iPhone filters unveil a little bit...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

N292UX

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:52 pm

Why don't they just bring this livery back? :D

skipness1E

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Cos it was a poor man’s BA / CP rip off?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos