Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LGAviation

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in April

Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:33 pm

Is it just me or is the dark blue also substantially lighter?

CONTACREW

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:40 pm

From CALTECH in the fleet/network thread:

“From sources, the Gold Stripe and the Gold On The Globe is staying. Smaller logo on the fuselage.”

So if true looks like gold stripe and gold globe is staying addition of smaller globe on fuselage. Only a few more days till we see the unveiling.

ord

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:56 pm

CONTACREW wrote:

“From sources, the Gold Stripe and the Gold On The Globe is staying. Smaller logo on the fuselage.”

So if true looks like gold stripe and gold globe is staying addition of smaller globe on fuselage. Only a few more days till we see the unveiling.

Anything is possible but I would highly doubt this is true. Gold was not listed as either a core or extended color in the "Her art here" brand guidelines. Plus, all of the new airport signage at check in areas, gates and customer service centers does not have gold in the logo.

alfa164

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:58 pm

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Perhaps someone would know how much the following would cost:
23 or so years ago I flew VARIG from Paris to Rio nonstop. It was an MD-11. I was in Economy, over night flight.
The FA handed me something I never ever got before and never again after. An Economy style amenity kit!
Basically, It was a frosted blue transparent envelope about 6 inches tall and about 3 inches wide with VARIG Brazil & Compass Rose branding printed in a darker blue, folded over top that tucked into a slit. Inside was a nice toothbrush (the kind where brush is upside down in a tube (blue tube and RG yellow top) then you flip it and the tube becomes the handle, small toothpaste, ear plugs, eyeshades and 2 mints.
If United gave something like that to E+ international passengers, especially to Europe overnight or ULH, ABOUT how much would that cost a year? Because I’m sure they could get them for and extremely low unit price. Especially if it was the POLARIS toothbrush- which has to be the cheapest one available.
Point being: 23 years later, although poor VARIG is gone...I remember it as if it was in my hand now. I bet it would be under $1 each with UA volume!

No offense, but what does this have to do with the topic at hand? While admittedly an interesting question (why not post it as a topic?), we are talking about United’s new livery, not United’s on board amenities...

It is clear that he is talking about "branding"; while a modified livery may encourage some people to take notice, a few additional amenities could enhance that branding - and help set the "new" apart from the "old" for United's passengers. Rolling out the modified livery with an announcement of customer-oriented enhancements would be a one-two punch.

strfyr51

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:04 pm

DL717 wrote:
United needs to get past its unmerger. I’ve never seen such a ridiculous display of stupid over a merger, to the point where it’s actually hurting the brand. They’ve held on to this CO livery to pacify the CO crowd at the airline. Get the hell over it. There are still workgroups to this day that don’t get a long. It’s been an effing decade. You’re not going back to being two separate airlines so get it together. Be glad you both didn’t fold and still have jobs. Now rebrand because your livery looks like two pissed off marketing reps couldn’t make a decision over which airline you want to be and go with it, then get your shit together on product. Your product is just as schizophrenic as your livery. . rant.

Unfortunately? You're more right than wrong! Especially since now that very few S-CO's are still at United in senior management positions.. What they wanted to do?
Just didn't work on a global scale. The way we're going is seen with fresh eyes.

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:39 pm

ual763 wrote:
the Tulip will only live on in the form of a possible retro livery.

...and it only took 9yrs for some to finally figure that out. ;)

alfa164

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:08 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
ual763 wrote:

And some still haven't figured it out.

:roll:

Jamake1

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:13 pm

CONTACREW wrote:

I do not believe this for one second. Gold is very clearly not a part of the latest United color palate.

On a separate note, having watched the video, am I to assume that PriestmanGoode has created the revised livery as well?

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:13 pm

alfa164 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
ual763 wrote:

And some still haven't figured it out.

Right?!

Though for the sake of STFUitude, I sorta wish they did just scrap the whole thing and go for something totally fresh, particularly seeing as both DL (2007) and AA (2013) have done just that.

Fargo

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:21 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Though for the sake of STFUitude, I sorta wish they did just scrap the whole thing and go for something totally fresh, particularly seeing as both DL (2007) and AA (2013) have done just that.

:checkmark:

Amen!

Go for something original, the Continental globe is so 90s.

airzim

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:21 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
United needs to get past its unmerger. I’ve never seen such a ridiculous display of stupid over a merger, to the point where it’s actually hurting the brand. They’ve held on to this CO livery to pacify the CO crowd at the airline. Get the hell over it. There are still workgroups to this day that don’t get a long. It’s been an effing decade. You’re not going back to being two separate airlines so get it together. Be glad you both didn’t fold and still have jobs. Now rebrand because your livery looks like two pissed off marketing reps couldn’t make a decision over which airline you want to be and go with it, then get your shit together on product. Your product is just as schizophrenic as your livery. . rant.

Unfortunately? You're more right than wrong! Especially since now that very few S-CO's are still at United in senior management positions.. What they wanted to do?
Just didn't work on a global scale. The way we're going is seen with fresh eyes.

Let’s be fair, very few sUA too.

Lots of new blood at Willis

DocLightning

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:44 pm

My husband just flew UA today and at the gate there is this symbol on the display. Note the lavender, which I believe is UA's "Dusk" color

Not sure what to make of it, but I like it.

N766UA

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:59 pm

DocLightning wrote:
My husband just flew UA today and at the gate there is this symbol on the display. Note the lavender, which I believe is UA's "Dusk" color

It’s the global services logo; previously mentioned.

ual763

Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:02 am

DocLightning wrote:

It’s definitely unique looking. And also, nothing I’ve seen before from United. What airport was this at?

ual763

Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:02 am

N766UA wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Guess I’ve never really noticed it before.

N766UA

Re: United Airlines "Evolution" to Globe Livery coming in Aprilhi

Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:09 am

ual763 wrote:
N766UA wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Guess I’ve never really noticed it before.

Been around for a little while :)

DocLightning

Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:19 am

N766UA wrote:

Oh, poop. I liked it. :(

In spite of living in SF, I don't fly UA that much. Although they seem to be finally getting their act together, so that might change.

N766UA

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:08 am

DocLightning wrote:
N766UA wrote:

In spite of living in SF, I don't fly UA that much. Although they seem to be finally getting their act together, so that might change.

The irony is that the Global Services "globe" actually pre-dates the merger, so seeing it crop up as a "new logo" candidate is kind of funny.

intotheair

Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:37 am

N766UA wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
N766UA wrote:

The irony is that the Global Services "globe" actually pre-dates the merger, so seeing it crop up as a "new logo" candidate is kind of funny.

It is somewhat surprising that it has survived this long:

tpaewr

Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:31 am

airzim wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Let’s be fair, very few sUA too.

Lots of new blood at Willis

Willis makes me feel old! I feel like half of them should be in school.

It is a gross generalization. But from the CSCs to even front liner supervisors you have all these 20s & 30s something’s that are so post merger UA. Someone in their 30s & 40s has a good chance of being exCOn hired 20 years ago when CO was expanding right and left. Lastly there is a lingering cohort of folks in their 60s & 70s if you ever wanted to hear all about ESOP and losing your pension their are your goto folks!

N649DL

Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:49 am

LAX772LR wrote:
ual763 wrote:

I still am curious to one of the users that got a sneak look internally and they'll be using the "U" as a secret logo on some collateral. That would be a nice compromise.

If they use that globe logo from the GS docs used at the gate, I definitely want some disco music played upon boarding the airplane and also via streaming.

strfyr51 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Not only that, but Smisek was forced to leave the airline as a CEO coming from CO in 2015 and the airline overall still lags. The CO fans will say "Well that's not the real CO" but you also have Gordon Bethune defending him after forced resignation in 2016 and was a direct hire by him as well in the 1990s.

This is regardless of CO though, between UA / CO and what was already in place, the culture just seems "hush-hush", stubborn, and sterile. What Smisek was trying to do as a "Know it All" lawyer then CEO at UA was beyond crooked and a potential downfall of UA in general. And the fallout for a while was so severe that they didn't know what to do except possibly bring back in Bethune after Oscar got ill.

There are some great employees from UA and CO nowadays but man, it took 8 years to integrate the F/A group says enough about the repairs they need to fix from CO management.
Last edited by N649DL on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

VC10er

Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:55 am

The Global Services Globe symbol was done by Pentagram. Along with FAR SUPERIOR typography: A great mix of helvvetica super thin and Ultra Bold

The most beautiful graphic treatments system wide. That welcome cover above has perfect design balance thanks to Michael Beirut.

The GS check-in lounge at EWR works exactly as intended. If you ever want to feel special, it sure does!

I would also like to add that this year’s GS welcome kit was very well done. The new luggage tags made of carbon fiber (“the same material as a 787 fuselage” it points out was a nice touch) although why all I got was the Houston skyline confused me, it wasn’t well drawn) and the coaster set of city maps was also a nice touch.

lollomz

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:49 am

LSZH34

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:50 am

This will not look good...

VirginFlyer

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:55 am

lollomz wrote:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnYHxZtkd0o3TjjKvyBOoxUZTMYGOTt75P-zto8ZBQjrIdWOBsMw

This is a first clue....

No, it’s not.

qf789 wrote:
Nordstar 737MAX8 VQ-BXX and SunExpress 737MAX9 D-ASMB position BFI-PAE for storage

https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/11 ... 04993?s=20

lollomz

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:58 am

Sorry, I Made a mistake....

KVH68

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:46 am

Painting of N37267 (737-800) at Amarillo is complete. The next thing they need to do is a test flight because they removed both tabs on the aileron and both tabs on the elevators. If the test flight is performed in the cover of darkness, then we can assume this aircraft is wearing the new livery. This aircraft was in Amarillo for a warranty paint job. It had paint coming off the vertical stabilizer and the fuselage.

lydh

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:21 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
lollomz wrote:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnYHxZtkd0o3TjjKvyBOoxUZTMYGOTt75P-zto8ZBQjrIdWOBsMw

This is a first clue....

No, it’s not.

qf789 wrote:
Nordstar 737MAX8 VQ-BXX and SunExpress 737MAX9 D-ASMB position BFI-PAE for storage

https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/11 ... 04993?s=20

Unitetihad?

CALTECH

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:35 pm

lollomz wrote:

This is a first clue....

No clue, not even close.

CALTECH

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:38 pm

KVH68 wrote:
Painting of N37267 (737-800) at Amarillo is complete. The next thing they need to do is a test flight because they removed both tabs on the aileron and both tabs on the elevators. If the test flight is performed in the cover of darkness, then we can assume this aircraft is wearing the new livery. This aircraft was in Amarillo for a warranty paint job. It had paint coming off the vertical stabilizer and the fuselage.

Test flight scheduled for the middle of the night. 'Manual Reversion Test Hop' for the Flight Controls being removed for paint.

KVH68

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:33 pm

CALTECH wrote:
Test flight scheduled for the middle of the night. 'Manual Reversion Test Hop' for the Flight Controls being removed for paint.

The test flight should go smooth as they are putting on the same tabs that came off the airplane. I am pretty sure they are smart enough not to mess with any component that can affect the rigging.

N292UX

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:36 pm

I'm expecting a letdown on this one. For one, I'm starting to believe that the livery may not change that much overall. And second, I'm starting to think that the changes will be somewhat negative and will be worse than the current one.

Fingers crossed that I am wrong, though.

rnav2dlrey

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:12 pm

UA just tweeted another teaser video, along with “out with the g(old), in with the blue.”

so yeah, no gold.

Airlines0613

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:14 pm

lollomz wrote:

This is a first clue....

Come on guys, this was covered a long time ago. Plus, UA does not have any Max 8 on order.

Please read previous posts on the thread before posting. Thank you.

scbriml

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:15 pm

N292UX wrote:
I'm starting to think that the changes will be somewhat negative and will be worse than the current one.

Cue 'Mission Impossible' theme tune... :wink2:

cruiseshipcrew

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:17 pm

Here is the link to the new teaser. Tail looks to stay the same just without the gold. https://twitter.com/united/status/1120343847215693824

SFOtoORD

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:18 pm

N292UX wrote:
I'm expecting a letdown on this one. For one, I'm starting to believe that the livery may not change that much overall. And second, I'm starting to think that the changes will be somewhat negative and will be worse than the current one.

Fingers crossed that I am wrong, though.

There’s been a decade long fight on this forum about United’s livery so I wouldn’t expect that to suddenly end this week with everyone’s agreement.

They should add a feature to A.net where pro and con responses on certain hot topics are pre-written like a macro to save everyone time. There just won’t be a right or wrong on this one.

flyaa757

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:21 pm

After watching the latest teaser, I think it’s going to be exactly the swoopy Dreamliner scheme without any gold...

ocaviation

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:23 pm

It looked like a white and blue tail. The United titles looked large as they were being painted over where the windows are. The engine was also getting blue paint. I’m looking forward to this.

BuckeyeFly

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:24 pm

14 seconds into the video you can see the design of tail. Looks like blue and white globe on tail with white fuselage.

N415XJ

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:29 pm

Here is a still from the video showing, presumably, the reference image the painters used.

My guess:

1) Tail stays the same, save for the removal of gold from the globe

2) Billboard titles on the fuselage (based on the Her Art Here and Star Wars schemes we've seen)

3) A blue dreamliner swoop across the whole fleet

Sooner787

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:34 pm

N415XJ wrote:
Here is a still from the video showing, presumably, the reference image the painters used.

My guess:

2) Billboard titles on the fuselage (based on the Her Art Here and Star Wars schemes we've seen)

That reference image also appears to have a gray belly , but swooping shape like the current
Dreamliners, but minus the gold striping

FlyHossD

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:34 pm

max999 wrote:
COEWRMSY wrote:
Purple (featured on employee tie) and aqua seem to be part of it. The wave appears several times and seems to be part of the branding, so perhaps the aqua wave will replace the gold cheat line (old livery) or gold Boeing wave (787), which would also suggest that aqua might replace gold on the globe. That makes more sense to me than purple on the tail (if the main background color remains blue), since purple and blue would just look dark, especially in low light. I'm curious where the purple will go - perhaps accent under the wave?

Does applying the Boeing wave (aqua or gold) mean United is going to dump all of their Airbuses in the near future? United can't apply the Boeing wave on an Airbus; that would be like Airbus painting their fleet with the Boeing house livery.

No, UA isn't dumping their Airbus' - you're probably going to see wavy "Boeing-esque" lines on an United Airbus soon.

KVH68

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:37 pm

N415XJ wrote:
My guess:

I think the swoop will be light blue (same color as the words, "United. Brand. New," in the video)

I also think there is gray on the belly as it is now

ocaviation

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:42 pm

So from what I’ve seen... no purple, yet at least.

CDGIAD

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:48 pm

From the latest video and posts we have:
Blue and white globe on the tail
Larger titles
Gray belly
Blue engines
Light blue swoop? But not usable on Airbus if it's the same as the dreamliner's

rjmf22

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Newest video on twitter titled "Out with the gold, in with the blue." Appears that gold will no longer be present.

https://twitter.com/united/status/1120343847215693824

EDIT: oops, just saw this was already discussed.

KVH68

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:55 pm

I think the swoop will look like the one in the first video released several days ago.

https://twitter.com/united/status/11192 ... 93/video/1

VC10er

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:21 pm

I don’t think that revealing a new livery on a 737 is a good idea. While UA one day may have hundreds of them, they have the bragging rights to being a very global airline with some nice large new wide bodies. They don’t really have a “flagship” aircraft like the glory days of a 747, but rolling out a 787 or 77W would be FAR more impressive and further underscore their global reach. It would be tantamount to Lufthansa unveiling their new livery on an A321.
Also, rolling it out on a 737MAX (a grounded airplane for the moment) makes it even a bit more silly.

I find a lot of the guessing of what it will be is also a bit useless because it we know that from a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being a very far out design) I think we all know it will be a 3 to a 5. Therefore a let down to most.

Strategically, I do not think they would want to do much more than modernize a now very familiar and recognizable livery.

FlyHossD

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:30 pm

VC10er wrote:
I don’t think that revealing a new livery on a 737 is a good idea. While UA one day may have hundreds of them, they have the bragging rights to being a very global airline with some nice large new wide bodies. They don’t really have a “flagship” aircraft like the glory days of a 747, but rolling out a 787 or 77W would be FAR more impressive and further underscore their global reach. It would be tantamount to Lufthansa unveiling their new livery on an A321.
Also, rolling it out on a 737MAX (a grounded airplane for the moment) makes it even a bit more silly.

I find a lot of the guessing of what it will be is also a bit useless because it we know that from a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being a very far out design) I think we all know it will be a 3 to a 5. Therefore a let down to most.

Strategically, I do not think they would want to do much more than modernize a now very familiar and recognizable livery.

UA already has hundreds of 737s - NOT counting the -Max9s, they had about 325 737NGs.

Also, what indication do you have that they new scheme would be revealed on a Max? 737 #267 is a 737-800, is it not?

Further, I suspect that we'll also see a 787 in the new scheme Wednesday.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos