Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ual763
Topic Author

American Airlines DC - Berlin??

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:18 am

I found a few cryptic tweets on Twitter today from our ambassador Richard Grenell. Anyways, the first tweet is at a conference that appears to be hosted by American, & Munchen/Berlin airport’s. In this tweet they mention that Richard Grenell is strongly advocating for a direct flight between Washington, D.C. and Berlin. Then, in the second tweet, Rochard Grenell heralds the American routes announced “today” between the US and Germany.

I checked everywhere and couldn’t find any route announcements from AA today. I know they announced PHL-BER a while back, but definitely nothing today... And regarding DC-BER, it most certainly would’not be AAL. If anything, it would most likely be UAL...
Last edited by ual763 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
From flying to the NOTAM office

Varsity1

Re: American Airlines DC - Berlin??

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:26 am

If the perimeter rule were lifted.. and gates modified, an A330-200 could do it. It has the performance to get off 7kft and go TATL eastbound.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

ual763
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:28 am

Varsity1 wrote:
If the perimeter rule were lifted.. and gates modified, an A330-200 could do it. It has the performance to get off 7kft and go TATL eastbound.

But isn’t there an international rule as well? Or is that just international carriers?

Varsity1

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:38 am

ual763 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

But isn’t there an international rule as well? Or is that just international carriers?

Yes, it would have to be lifted.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

BoeingGuy

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:47 am

Varsity1 wrote:

I’m missing something. Where does it say this supposed flight would be at DCA and not IAD?

BTW, a 787 could do it too.

YYZORD

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:53 am

Nope, AC flies to YYZ, YOW, and YUL from DCA. It's all perimeter and US preclearance.

ual763 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

ual763
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:55 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

I’m missing something. Where does it say this supposed flight would be at DCA and not IAD?

BTW, a 787 could do it too.

It doesn’t, however considering AA has a hub at DCA, and not very many intra-US connections at IAD, it wouldn’t make very much sense to me. However, UA IAD-BER would have tons of connections available from IAD.

With that being said though, I can see AAL operating IAD-BER before I see trans-Atlantic flights at DCA.
Last edited by ual763 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ual763
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:56 am

YYZORD wrote:
Nope, AC flies to YYZ, YOW, and YUL from DCA. It's all perimeter and US preclearance.

ual763 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Interesting. That must be why AC is so weak at IAD. Never really noticed them much at IAD.

Ishrion

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:15 am

IAD-LHR would probably come first on AA.

Aisak

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:21 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Why would they do that? Yes, they could do it because of the huge operation they run at LHR, but why? JV partner BA already flies multiple daily LHR-IAD flights and LHR-BWI which somehow also serves the DC area.

asuflyer05

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:36 pm

Aisak wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Why would they do that? Yes, they could do it because of the huge operation they run at LHR, but why? JV partner BA already flies multiple daily LHR-IAD flights and LHR-BWI which somehow also serves the DC area.

They won't do it. Which makes the likely hood of AA operating IAD-BER even less. I think that was Ishrion's point.

American 767

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:53 pm

Aisak wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Don't forget that AA also has a hub in DCA, oh well not really a big hub but at least a mini hub.They probably wouldn't do it daily, but at least 5x weekly. There are quite a few loyal AA customers who live in the DC area. I'm not saying they will do it, what I'm saying is that's another reason why they would consider doing it. So this being said, IAD to other markets in Europe on AA's metal, other than LHR and maybe MAD, chances are very slim if not zero.
Ben Soriano

winstonavgeek

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:10 pm

I love these types of (x airline) should fly to (y unrealistic destination). It always makes me laugh. First of all, DCA would not even get Berlin service even if the perimeter restriction was lifted. Secondly, IAD-LHR on AA is not going to happen. AA barely has a base at IAD. They only have CLT, LAX, and DFW to show for it. Finally, this would most likely happen on United from IAD.

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Aisak wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

It would likely replace a BA frequency, but if AA starts operating to smaller BA stations, the cities with single daily BA flights but big AA operations (BWI, BNA, MSY) probably make more sense. Cost savings in those places would be significant since BA would no longer need staff, and in some cases, the passenger experience on the ground would improve.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

slowrambler

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Presumably he was "announcing" PHL-TXL and, as ambassadors tend to do, said "wouldn't it be great if there was even more of this?"

Don't think there's anything more to read into it.

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:36 pm

Could a hypothetical Boeing NMA do DCA to TXL/BER?
© 2020. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

blockski

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:15 pm

ual763 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

There is no international rule, just the perimeter rule. But DCA does not (and will not ever) have Immigration/customs facilities. The only international flights at DCA are to Canada, thanks to preclearance.

KICT

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:19 pm

AA IAD-PHL-BER "direct" flight is my guess.

Brickell305

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:30 pm

blockski wrote:
ual763 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

There is no international rule, just the perimeter rule. But DCA does not (and will not ever) have Immigration/customs facilities. The only international flights at DCA are to Canada, thanks to preclearance.

Not to nitpick but DCA also has Preclearance flights to/from the Bahamas and Bermuda as well.