Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

behramjee
Topic Author

Turkish Airlines announces Port Harcourt, Nigeria

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:13 pm

Turkish Airlines announces new 4 weekly nonstop flights to PHC-Port Harcourt, Nigeria effective 24JUN-19 using a Boeing 738MAX. Flight schedule is as follows:

Days 1/2/4/6
TK 627 Dep IST 1845 Arr PHC 2340
TK 628 Dep PHC 0035 Arr IST 0915

Flight connects nicely with IAH, JFK, IAD, ORD, EU and UK both ways via IST. This will do well with the high yielding oil/gas corporates who prefer a direct service into PHC and with Houston, New York, London, Paris, Amsterdam and Washington DC connecting very well both ways, it shall prove to be a popular choice.

alan3

Re: Turkish Airlines announces Port Harcourt, Nigeria

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:14 pm

We'll see. From somewhere like Houston, IST would be a longer connection than going through the existing AF and LH flights. I believe VS (and also maybe BA) also flew the route at one time.

TWA772LR

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:16 pm

alan3 wrote:
We'll see. From somewhere like Houston, IST would be a longer connection than going through the existing AF and LH flights. I believe VS (and also maybe BA) also flew the route at one time.

I used to work for TK in IAH and we had people connect in IST to get to places like LOS, CMN, London, FRA, and many other places in Western Africa/Europe.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Natflyer

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:45 pm

Nice sunny beach destination...

stylo777

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:53 pm

pricing is key and TK used to be quite competitive in that game. the reason why people would even consider detours as such.
I believe, this flight will also carry a considerable amout of local trade traffic; however, US, Canada and especially EU cities in UK, FR, DE, BE and Nordics will be the focus.
flighttimes are 6:55 hrs. IST-PHC and 6:40 hrs. on the return. not the longest flights for their 737-fleet (7M8 and 739) considering they do nonstop to DSS, DLA, ABJ, ACC, BKO with over 7 hrs., but still pretty long. interesting enough, the flight is terminating in PHC without any tag-on right from the beginning. there must be some great potential. even more astonishing is the fact that with PHC the total amount of African destinations will become way over 50 cities.

what about PNR? it was also mentioned as new destination in their press release and few days ago.

MoKa777

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:02 pm

Is it safe to arrive in PHC at that time?
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

sw733

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Natflyer wrote:
Nice sunny beach destination...

I mean, the vast majority of world destinations are not sunny beach destinations...

aemoreira1981

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:19 pm

The MAX 9 for this is very appropriate for secondary and smaller African destinations as the route starter. I’m surprised it isn’t being put on flights to Tanzania, which is a very long B739 flight.

ScottB

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:19 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I used to work for TK in IAH and we had people connect in IST to get to places like LOS, CMN, London, FRA, and many other places in Western Africa/Europe.

No doubt you had passengers on routings like that, but the big money is going to be oil- and gas-related travel and it's probable those passengers are locked into corporate contracts with UA/LH or AF/KL. AF/KL even have a special status (Flying Blue Petroleum) for customers in that industry. Given the number of Houston-area residents of Nigerian descent, I'd expect to see plenty on TK flights if the prices were competitive enough to justify the big detour via IST.

behramjee
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 pm

at PHC, TK only has to compete against LH as AF is suspending the route from this month onwards so its all Star Alliance.

The LH flight is a tag on with LOS so the capacity is shared accordingly.

Yes the 2340 arrival into PHC may pose a few security related questions for high end corporates, but the city has become safer than what it was 3-4 years ago. The top 3 hotels in the city are Novotel, Le Meridian and Golden Tulip.

mapletux

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:44 am

You can read about the inaugural flight and see pictures of the water canon salute on arrival here.

https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/06/tu ... ts-to.html

jmmadrid

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:48 am

For obvious reasons, the flight wasn't operated by a 737 MAX but by a 739 (TC-JYG) instead

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos